Joe Solmonese: Same old liberal song and dance

Posted by GayPatriotWest at 7:28 pm - September 12, 2005.
Filed under: Gay Politics,Liberals

In this post on Chris Matthew’s Hardblogger, Human Rights Campaign (HRC) President Joe Solmonese shows his true colors, as an activist more concerned with the agenda of the left than as a leader committed to gay and lesbian issues. Weighing in yet again on the Roberts’ nomination, he writes that “the Human Rights Campaign joined the growing chorus of those speaking out in opposition to the Supreme Court nomination of John Roberts.” He neglects to mention that this “growing chorus” of opposition largely includes only voices from the far left (with an a handful of extreme right-wingers thrown in). And his piece merely rehashes the standard left-wing arguments against the good judge’s confirmation.

Moreover, in the entire piece, he makes only two references (three, if we count AIDS) to gay issues. In his first comment, he contends that Roberts

dismisses the “so-called right to privacy” and by doing so not only threatens reproductive freedoms but also threatens the legal underpinnings to Lawrence v. Texas, which overturned laws that effectively labeled gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender Americans as criminals.

He offers no evidence, only interpretation to suggest that as Chief Justice, Judge Roberts would overturn Lawrence v. Texas, the Supreme Court decision which found that state sodomy laws violated the Constitution. And once again, he brings up “reproductive freedoms,” probably in deference to his previous employer, but not an issue appropriate to a gay and lesbian organization.

He faults Judge Roberts for a 20-year-old memo he wrote on the spread of AIDS. But, Solmonese is not even curious to see if the judge’s opinions have changed in the past two decades. Before the Senate hearings, Solmonese has already jumped to conclusions about this good man. (As I have written before, I believe Senators should ask Roberts about the memo.)

Much of his piece is empty Bush- and conservative-bashing rhetoric, the basic left-wing boilerplate we’ve become accustomed to from those criticizing President Bush and his policies. Indeed, in the very opening paragraph of the piece, he describes “so many major debates over the course of the last six years” as featuring “the same old song and dance by the White House.” Doesn’t sound like the language of a man who heads a group which calls itself “bipartisan organization.

It is becoming increasingly clear that Joe Solmonese sees HRC’s mission as part of a larger liberal movement. He seems more interested in the agenda of the self-labeled “progressives” than in one addressing the specific concerns of gay and lesbian Americans.

-Dan (AKA GayPatriotWest): GayPatriotWest@aol.com

1. and njz…..quit baiting. I am NOT a jetsetter. I’ve had the good fortune to get (and keep) a job that I love. I am not smarter than everybody else. And please don’t read between the lines….I never said that there is a HIGHER discharge rate after DADT. Only that there have been more than 10,000 – I believe that I got that number from PBS, maybe P.O.V. Not sure.

You want noble? What would even be MORE noble is for all of these servicemen and women to stand together and demand that the govt. recognize them. If 30,000-40,000 of our armed forces stuck together, there is no telling what they would accomplish for themselves. Not to mention for the thousands of dishonorable discharges out there.

That’s part of the problem with many of the gays in the US. Apathy. Vote. Fight. Demand to be counted and our relationships recognized. That I do. I’ve been active for equal rights for gay people since I was 16 (more than half my life ago), which has put me in harm’s way and in jail. But I don’t get on my soapbox and demand sympathy. I do it because there are too many pussies here. I do it because it’s right. I do it because the rest of the civilized world is/has recognized the truth. Does that make me less of a man because I have a different fight? Granted, I’ve helped gay people more than the total population. But that does NOT define who I am. Most of my friends are straight. A person’s sexuality doesn’t matter a damn to me.

Comment by Lawrence Bell — September 13, 2005 @ 3:22 pm - September 13, 2005

2. njz – post #46 wasn’t mine.

Condecending would be a word that I would use to describe #49. I think you were trying for sarcasm, or maybe irony. Didn’t work

Comment by Lawrence Bell — September 13, 2005 @ 3:25 pm - September 13, 2005

3. Uh oh…do we have people pretending to be other people again around here? Certainly someone of your intellect would recognize his own name. If so, sorry ’bout that, but it sure as hell sounded like you too.

there is no telling what they would accomplish for themselves“…that more than anything you’ve written shows that you don’t understand what the debate for those of us who have and do serve in anonymity is all about.

And yes, I do mean that the 10K number is misleading, and that’s what I’d be happy to share with you.

And that 30K-40K number, what do you mean? Again if that has anything to do w/ DADT, you’re wrong. Ah, nevermind. I’m getting tired.

Comment by njz — September 13, 2005 @ 3:38 pm - September 13, 2005

4. Uh oh. #45 and #48 were my comments. #46 was not. Looks like we have a child that was left behind. You were reading the major’s rant, not mine. Just to clarify…..”Comment by _____ – September 13, 2005″ FOLLOWS the comment, it doesn’t precede it.

And 30K-40K was a number that I read estimating the amount of gay people serving currently in the armed forces. And as far as “for themselves”, it’s not my place to speak for them. If they want to serve in silence, fine. If they don’t, that’s their battle. I’ll do anything I can to help on the civilian end.

Comment by Lawrence Bell — September 13, 2005 @ 3:55 pm - September 13, 2005

5. Um. #45 and #48 were mine. Dunno what numbers you’re seeing, but my reply was certainly in response to a comment with your name following it.
    But alas, I’d promised myself I was finished with this thread.
    I will, however, say that it’s good to have advocates as clearly it would have been easier to serve openly out. But I, for one, rarely thought about it. I was there for other reasons, not for myself.
    But I think Major did a better job voicing that than I could. After all, he’s still in!

Comment by njz — September 13, 2005 @ 4:11 pm - September 13, 2005

6. actually, #42 & #47 were yours. I’ve triple checked. I can’t imagine that we’re looking at different numbering systems

Comment by Lawrence Bell — September 13, 2005 @ 4:32 pm - September 13, 2005

7. I’ve said it before – if we’re worried about genocide WHY AREN’T WE IN SUDAN? Why aren’t we helping out THOSE poor people? Over 500,000 have been killed (more than Iraq, by the way) but nobody cares in our government. I’m not saying we should invade Sudan like Iraq. All I’m saying is that there is more to this war in Iraq than genocide and WMD’s. For starters, there is no oil in Sudan and we are very hungry for gasoline in the US to feed our SUV’s, Cadillacs and full-size cars and vans (and reap the profits therein).

“No oil”, eh?

“Nobody cares in our government”, eh?

That last one contains a particularly good point to be made:

Security Council members Britain, Spain and Germany back U.S. efforts to establish a commission of inquiry. But some European diplomats expressed concern that Powell’s statement would complicate efforts to win broader support. China warned that it may veto the resolution, noting that it does not believe genocide has occurred. “There are problems in Darfur, but we don’t see it as that category,” said Wang Guangya, China’s ambassador to the United Nations. The council should “come up with constructive ideas to help solve the problem, not to make the problem more complicated.”

Gee, what a surprise — European diplomats obstructing and China trying to block any type of action by the US against a government that inexplicably has given these countries oil contracts. Where have we seen that before….um, IRAQ?

Ironically, Lawrence, the Bush administration is following in Sudan exactly what you and yours claimed would stop Saddam Hussein’s genocidal behavior — a strong diplomatic talking-to. What you don’t realize as a good leftist is that the practices you are blasting as “nobody cares” and racist are exactly the same ones you and yours practiced in regards to Iraq.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — September 13, 2005 @ 4:33 pm - September 13, 2005

8. Fun thread. Hey, at least Chandler didn’t devolve into openly re-typing (as his own) insults that someone else posted at him in the very next post above his.

#5 – Stephen, with his reference to “parting words”, may perhaps be giving us his Nth “farewell tour”. Of course he’ll be back, perhaps in a different guise; one earlier, and far more succinct example of his “farewell tour” approach may be found here. Obviously he didn’t stick to that.

I’m trying to remember how many different philosophical poses Stephen has adopted in his time here, and my head is spinning. The ones I can remember are: (a) anti-war leftist, (b) Goldwater Conservative, (c) “gay conservative” who patiently counsels the choir to not condemn Gov. Schwarzenegger, as so many gay liberals are doing, and (d) someone who hates gay conservatives, finding the very term oxymoronic. To that, now we can add the poses of (e) classical liberal and (f) history professor.

I totally agree with Stephen’s poses (b), (c) and (e). Trouble is, having previously shown us contradictory poses (a) and (d) in spades, Stephen has no credibility on anything. And even (f) doesn’t work, because we’ve already seen Stephen’s same extracts from Wikipedia when he posted them once before, and exposed them as flawed.

The partial accuracies in Stephen’s Wikipedia extract on liberalism are outweighed by the gross inaccuracies. Here’s but one example. The extract says “most liberals believe that social security benefits should be financed from taxes…”, then goes on to cite five libertarian authors who are radically, if not violently against taxation to finance social security (von Mises, Hayek, Rothbard, Goldwater, Friedman, and Charles Murray). Someone has been smoking way too much Wikipedia.

#10 – And here we have a post from someone who claims that the Canadian and British health systems work. Maybe in some bizarro alternate universe where up is down and fantasy rules, they do. Real people know that the British and Canadian health systems are famous the world over for some combination of (1) horribly and dangerously long waits, (2) rationing, and (3) low quality of care. In the British case, all 3.

He goes on to claim that Britain must be better because the dollar-pound exchange rate leaves the pound as numerically more valuable. Boy, that’s a sign of superior national health and wealth. (Not.)

He then cheerfully informs us of his emotional hatred for Bush, because of imaginary “war profiteering” or “war for oil”. What oil? What profiteering – Where and when? I’ll tell you who was profiteering from Iraqi oil, and was willing to practice genocide on them to get it: the United Nations. Google “oil for food scandal”, Larry – it only takes 10 seconds.

And then he spews his belief – in plain contradiction of facts – that Saddam somehow wasn’t involved in international terrorism, somehow wasn’t pursuing WMD, somehow wasn’t slowly building and nurturing his alliances with al Qaeda, etc. Hint, Larry: Google “Ansar al Islam”, or check out http://husseinandterror.com.

After that kind of performance, I won’t even bother with #17 and the rest. Suffice to say that anyone who thinks it is “a crime that we have to even think about this crap”, i.e., a crime that he must think about sustaining and providing for his own life….is….a parasite. A leech on society. Or, at the very least (if he many be currently working), engaged in the thought pattern of a leech.

#25 – Thank you, TGC. 🙂

#28 – And if you don’t like murders, just don’t murder anyone. But who are you to question someone else’s murder?!! It doesn’t concern you. BUSH LIED! (Reductio ad absurdum of the Left’s argument on abortion. In a civil society, murder is everyone’s problem – whether it’s kids, grownups, or advanced, viable fetuses.)

Comment by joe — September 13, 2005 @ 4:43 pm - September 13, 2005

9. #55 – Great point. What a hypocrite.

BUSH LIED! if Bush declares an end to diplomacy and invades a country to remove a genocidal dictator who attacked 4 of his own neighboring countries, plus the U.S. in various ways over a period of years……and…..BUSH LIED! if he doesn’t invade a country (Sudan) that, while horribly genocidal, has not attacked 4 of its own neighbors nor the U.S.; instead merely pursuing the path of multilateral diplomacy that leftists claim to want.

Comment by joe — September 13, 2005 @ 4:58 pm - September 13, 2005

10. #41 – I would love to believe you Lawrence, that you really are grateful for what Major does; and that you put out for the troops in terms of buying them extra body armor, etc. from your own pocket (you can do stuff like that at http://www.anysoldier.com, if you are serious).

Unfortunately, your comments about Iraq show a head buried so deeply in your ass that I am afraid I simply can’t buy it. It just does not ring true.

Criticize Bush’s technique in Iraq all you want – with an eye to helping us win, please.

But for you to be nursing such misconceptions on the full story on Iraq, and what they found Saddam had been up to, after they invaded, and for you to be so appallingly willing to slander our men and women in uniform as deluded dolts (in effect) who lay down their lives for nothing, really contradicts your protestations of gratitude. And that’s how/why you’ve raised my hackles.

Comment by joe — September 13, 2005 @ 5:12 pm - September 13, 2005

11. #38 – Lawrence, on this medical stuff – can you even hear what you’re saying?

“…certain areas of Canada with highly poopulated areas have had occasion to have had a waiting list…”

And what would these areas be? Canada only has, like, 2-3 highly populated areas, where >90% of Canadians live. Translation: Something on the order of 90% of Canadians FACE WAITING LISTS.

“…If you have a life threatening problem, you will be treated in a timely manner. ”

Translation: If you have WHAT THE BUREAUCRACY DECIDES IT CAN HANDLE, AND ALSO DECIDES IS LIFE THREATENING, you will be treated.

“If you have an issue that places you on a wait for a non-essential test, etc., you may get the treatment done at any other location in the entire country…”

Translation: If you disagree with the bureaucrat’s judgement, just travel the length and breadth of Canada! LOL

“You may also travel to the US and pay 3 times the cost out of your own pocket….”

Transation: Thank God for the U.S., because if Canadians couldn’t travel here for real medical care when they need it (and can pay for it and the government denies it), they would be screwed. In this and umpteen other ways (like drug research), to the extent that the Canadian medical system does work or stay afloat, it’s because a half-free U.S. system is just across the border. If the U.S. ever did adopt HillaryCare(tm) with its bureaucracy and rationing, Canadians (and Americans) would be so fucked.

Comment by joe — September 13, 2005 @ 5:23 pm - September 13, 2005

12. #36 – “…the average Iraqi is 2 1/2 times more likely to be killed than under Saddam’s regime…”

Bullshit. Repeated/echoed from studies that have since been totally debunked.

Comment by joe — September 13, 2005 @ 5:27 pm - September 13, 2005

13. (#59 – to be clear: by “half-free system”, I mean “half-unsocialized….only half-regulated/enslaved by bureaucrats”)

Comment by joe — September 13, 2005 @ 6:01 pm - September 13, 2005

14. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/3962969.stm

I know it’s not Fox News, where it seems you all here get your view of the world.

Speaking of heads up assholes…I leave you to yourselves. I can’t hear your voices when your rectums are muffling your voices. It may help if you pick up a book now and then or read an international paper. I don’t really expect it, however. Most of you on this blog seem to be smug idiots. Is this blog-site based in a Red State? I can only blame your ignorance on youth and “no child left behind”.

I have learned a few things in my blogging here. I don’t think that most of you are trying to do anything except hear your own voices complain. Your president has the lowest approval rating in HISTORY. The happy truth is he’s only got 3 years left, if the country survives it. 2 strikes and you’re out.

And to Joe Blow: someone’s reference of a medical intern’s 7 page paper is more important to you than an informed, bi-national person’s life experience? One whose aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents, friends, etc. have been living in and getting free medical care for their ENTIRE LIVES! When they need it, by the way. But you know best………at least I have a way out when this country gets destroyed because of crooked politicians. It’s a green passport, which has been giving me a much better world welcome than my blue one. Goodbye.

Comment by Lawrence Bell — September 13, 2005 @ 6:25 pm - September 13, 2005

15. and by the way, 64% of Canadians live in 27 Census Metropolitan Areas. I can see you’re just blowing smoke out of your ass. It’s no where near 90% in 2-3 cities.

Comment by Lawrence Bell — September 13, 2005 @ 6:28 pm - September 13, 2005

16. http://atlas.gc.ca/site/english/maps/peopleandsociety/population/population2001/distribution2001/1

Comment by Lawrence Bell — September 13, 2005 @ 6:29 pm - September 13, 2005

17. #62 — (Translation) “Waaaah! People are disagreeing with my dogma, so they’re stupid and dishonest. So, I’m going to call them names and tell them ‘Goodbye,’ (but I’ll return and post again within three minutes.)”

Comment by V the K — September 13, 2005 @ 8:07 pm - September 13, 2005

18. And to Joe Blow: someone’s reference of a medical intern’s 7 page paper is more important to you than an informed, bi-national person’s life experience?

Well, as it turns out, said person’s level of “informed” consists of wholy-ignorant statements, as I already pointed out.

Second off, the intern provided references and actually knows something about the healthcare system.

As for threatening to leave….yeah, we’ll file that with the kazillion other liberals who said they would leave if Bush was re-elected. Maybe they figured out the obvious…..the US is the only country that regularly puts up with people whose sole existence is around putting it down.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — September 13, 2005 @ 9:46 pm - September 13, 2005

19. Lawrence Bell –

While Bush’s approval ratings are at a low point now, polls still show he would beat Kerry if elections were held today.

Comment by Frank IBC — September 13, 2005 @ 10:11 pm - September 13, 2005

20. Well, since I only approve of about 35% of what Bush does, the low poll ratings don’t really surprise me. The thing about Bush is he has the courage to take on big, difficult, controversial issues like social security reform (on which I agree with him), Illegal immigration (on which I disagree with him), and the War in Iraq (in which I agree on the principle, but criticize his execution). Clinton maintained his approval ratings by avoiding doing anything about any big controversial issues (the big one being terrorism, obviously), and taking credit for an Enron economy he had little if anything to do with. Approval polls tend to reward cowardice, and punish courage.

Comment by V the K — September 13, 2005 @ 10:46 pm - September 13, 2005

21. Oh Lawrence, I’m so impressed and put to shame by your international superiority and sophistication!!!!!!!!

OK, so it’s 64% of Canadians instead of 90% who face waiting lists. B.F.D. My point remains: A huge majority of Canadians face waiting lists. By your own statements, your view is condemned.

I hope you do leave.

Comment by joe — September 14, 2005 @ 11:40 am - September 14, 2005

22. […] in 2005, after reading this comment from our reader Mike, then blogging at Republic of M, I read the piece he had encouraged us all to […]

Pingback by GayPatriot » Robbie’s Back & Better than Ever — June 18, 2009 @ 4:36 pm - June 18, 2009