Protest Outside Iranian Embassy In London Over Gay Torture

Posted by Bruce Carroll at 3:00 pm - October 4, 2005.
Filed under: Gays in Other Lands

**WARNING: GRAPHIC PHOTO IN POSTING**

My comrades against terror in the United Kingdom held a rally outside the Iranian Embassy in London a few hours ago. I have some of the first photos of the demonstration and will post them in a few minutes.

Here is the press release from OutRage!

Celebs join protest against Iran executions and torture

Scott Capurro, Jeremy Sheffield, Q Boy and Josh Rafter picket Iranian
Embassy

Boy George, Matt Lucas, Simon Callow condemn Iranian murderers

Petition rejected by Iran Embassy – Now to be delivered to Foreign
Secretary

London – 4 October 2005

TV soap and film actor Jeremy Sheffield, gay rap star Q Boy, comedian Scott Cappurro, Big Brother contestant Josh Rafter, out gay Labour MP Chris Bryant and human rights campaigner Peter Tatchell today joined a 50-strong protest outside the Iranian Embassy in London.

The protest was also backed by Little Britain TV star Matt Lucas, Hollywood actor Simon Callow and pop singer and DJ Boy George.

The protest was part of an on-going series of global demonstrations against the Iranian government’s arrest, imprisonment, whipping and execution of gay men.

It was organised by the gay magazine Axm, and by the queer rights group OutRage!.

OutRage! expresses its appreciation to Axm for its splendid work in making this protest possible.

“We are here to condemn Iran’s execution and torture of gay men, and to demand international action against the tyrannical Iranian regime” said protest co-organiser Peter Tatchell of the LGBT human rights group OutRage!.

“The international community should issue an ultimatum to Iran: either respect human rights, or face economic sanctions. There can be no normal relations with an abnormal regime that executes gay people,
unchaste women, Muslims who renounce their faith, and political, religious and ethnic minorities.”

Ahhh, if only American gay “rights” organizations made similar, strong and consistent statements about the War on Terror….

New photo of the executed Iranian teenagers:

(Welcome to readers from The Daily Dish and Roger L. Simon!)

Photos of today’s demonstration…. click here….

-Bruce (GayPatriot)

1. Wait, how is this terror? This is government sponsored events. I know it’s made to strike terror in Iranian gays, but that isn’t the definition of terror(otherwise we’d be committing acts of terror against sadam’s people, and we did scare them, but it wasn’t acts of terror).

You’re really taking this as one thing to mean another, spinning around, eh?

It’s not “Terror” because it happens in the middle east, you really gotta check your definitions and come back. The Iranian government did it. They are protesting outside of the embassy, not a local Al-Qaeda cell. You’re seriously way off.

I do agree with the protests though, but spinning and calling it “The War on Terror” is really really childish.

And the groups did release statements about the murders, but you have to remember, in the UK gays are treated with much more respect. Move down here to Texas to see the regular protestors at most events, see how fast the Texas legislature races to amend the constitution for things that are already illegal.

Watch how the UK legalizes gay marriage, nationwide. They’re on a different scale. If we were in their place that would be called for, but we’re not. We’re still fighting what they already have. And yes, I know, you say Civil Unions are good enough, well, those are being banned here in Texas too. So, you’re way off. Why don’t they help support our cause or Blair tell Bush to back gay civil unions or marriage? Oh, that’s right, we can only support your causes, not ours. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense(sarcasm).

Comment by Joey — October 4, 2005 @ 6:01 pm - October 4, 2005

2. I have to be honest! I usually disregard or ingnore “Joey’s” posts. I was all ready to decry the inhumanity of the Iranian Government!
    But
    After reading “Joey’s” post I paused and [in my mind] realized that we, (Our Government, Fed and State) are only a step or two away from the Iranian Government!

This is STILL DEPLORABLE! Makes me sick to my stomach and sad!

Comment by MarkP — October 4, 2005 @ 6:34 pm - October 4, 2005

3. Welcome to the religion of peace–if these unfortunate gay men were in Saudi Arabia, they would have had been decaptiated in the public square right after prayers on Friday.

Comment by RogerA — October 4, 2005 @ 6:38 pm - October 4, 2005

4. Joey, Mark, let me ask you a question.

When was the last time a man was publicly hanged in the US for being gay?

Your moral equivalence scales need a little tune up.

And don’t answer “It’s coming soon!” because we all know that’s simply not true.

Comment by Para — October 4, 2005 @ 7:08 pm - October 4, 2005

5. Of course it’s terrorism. Most of the terrorism in world history was instituted by governments–particularly Theocracies–for the purpuse of planting terror in the hearts of citizen who were pron to question the ultimate athority of the state and/or it’s priests.

The Talaban were terrorists. They also controled the government.

Iran IS the center of Islamist terrorism. It was in Iran that the currernt Islamist movement came to power in the late 70’s–throwing out secularism and instituting a theocracy.

Comment by Rob — October 4, 2005 @ 7:09 pm - October 4, 2005

6. Question: DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE BANNER SAYS THAT IS DISPLAYED OVER THE HANGING BODIES OF THE TWO YOUNG MEN (who in actuality truly ARE martyrs!)

Comment by Rob — October 4, 2005 @ 7:11 pm - October 4, 2005

7. It reads: Rev. Pat Robertson – you owe us one.

Comment by Heraldblog — October 4, 2005 @ 7:29 pm - October 4, 2005

8. Rob…. if Iran is the center of Islamist terrorism (which I believe that it is…), why are we in Iraq? Just asking for a clear answer, not trying to ruffle feathers….

Another question: What has our government said (either party) about this lynching?

Comment by JimNYC — October 4, 2005 @ 8:56 pm - October 4, 2005

9. Joey, I’m sure you and those who are in step with you would jump at the chance to liken Bush and his policies “against” gays as a form of terror.

Funny how when two gay boys are actually hanged, the term no longer applies. At first, I thought it was cute that people like you thought this was a conventional war….

Now I’m beginning to question your intelligence.

Comment by Chad — October 4, 2005 @ 9:05 pm - October 4, 2005

10. Actually, #7, the sign really says: “Bill and Hillary – these are your children.”

Comment by Peter Hughes — October 4, 2005 @ 9:10 pm - October 4, 2005

11. No. 7 is very quick on the draw.

But tell me, which one was Boy George? Want to see what that old queen looks like 2 decades hence heydey.

Comment by Queer Patriot — October 4, 2005 @ 9:18 pm - October 4, 2005

12. #4 Para…

Matthew Sheppard.

Comment by monty — October 4, 2005 @ 9:39 pm - October 4, 2005

13. Damn….

Let’s question everyone’s intelligence. LMAO 😀

Damn….

Can’t we all get along? 😀 😀

Comment by monty — October 4, 2005 @ 9:49 pm - October 4, 2005

14. #12 Government-sanctioned murder vs the crimes of private citizens are nowhere near each other in equivalence.

Comment by Robbie — October 4, 2005 @ 9:51 pm - October 4, 2005

15. Pat Robertson is against the death penalty.
    Too bad more pro-lifers aren’t.

Comment by Charles Julian — October 4, 2005 @ 10:55 pm - October 4, 2005

16. #1 – Maybe Joey should be called “Bob Loblaw”. I agree with #4 – somebody’s “moral equivalency scale” is WAY off and needs a LOT of adjusting. Way to go, Joey.

#8 – Who claims Iran is THE center of Islamist terrorism? I don’t get it.

But Iran is certainly “A” center of Islamist terrorism. Other centers would include Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, and “liberated” Palestine.

What a stroke of pure luck for us that, although Iran is a large and notoriously difficult country to invade, both Iraq and Afghanistan happen to border it. (Ironic comment, but some of you Lefties will have to put on your thinking caps to get it.)

#12 – Nice try but no cigar, Monty. Para asked, when was the last time a gay was PUBLICLY hanged here? Last time I checked, the public’s role in the horrific Matthew Shepard affair was to hang his killers, not Matthew. (Or, this being the U.S., rather to duly imprison his killers.)

Comment by joe — October 4, 2005 @ 11:23 pm - October 4, 2005

17. One of the UN’s definitions of terror follows :

4. Academic Consensus Definition:

“Terrorism is an anxiety-inspiring method of repeated violent action, employed by (semi-) clandestine individual, group or state actors, for idiosyncratic, criminal or political reasons, whereby – in contrast to assassination – the direct targets of violence are not the main targets. The immediate human victims of violence are generally chosen randomly (targets of opportunity) or selectively (representative or symbolic targets) from a target population, and serve as message generators. Threat- and violence-based communication processes between terrorist (organization), (imperilled) victims, and main targets are used to manipulate the main target (audience(s)), turning it into a target of terror, a target of demands, or a target of attention, depending on whether intimidation, coercion, or propaganda is primarily sought” (Schmid, 1988).

It does say state actors. I will agree, right now, that many western countries, including the US, the UK, France, Germany, Russia, etc., have used terror. This does not make what they did right. But it also does not negate the fact that Iran’s actions were specifically targeted to instill terror in one group. So, Joey, look up definitions before you make such broad statements against an article’s diction.

Comment by alex — October 5, 2005 @ 2:07 am - October 5, 2005

18. One answer I got from a couple of gay friends is that because it doesn’t affect them personally they don’t feel the need to do anything.

I basically told them not to expect any support from me with any issues they may have with whatever becasue it really doesn’t effect me personally. When Afghanistan women were ignored by the Bitches, I stopped supporting the American feminist movement too because there are way bigger problems in the world than the plight of Eve Ensler’s vagina.

Another reason why I can no longer identify as an American Liberal is the manner in which I saw American Liberals leave their basic principles for greater narcissitic self-indulgent pleasures. Talk is so cheap and so is Liberalism.

Comment by syn — October 5, 2005 @ 7:22 am - October 5, 2005

19. Yes, but according to the gay “Left”, Bush is the ultimate terrorist, you cannot disctract from that by condeming the actions of other regimes,even if the regimes appear at “first hand” to be worse than Bush. According to the Gay
    “Left” you cannot condem the actions of Iran, while not condeming the fact that Bush is running amok,overiding the constitution, using hurricanes to “ethnic cleanse”, killing our gay sons in the armed forces, and at the same time expelling them for being gay.

Comment by Stephen Reeves — October 5, 2005 @ 7:54 am - October 5, 2005

20. Ok guys…Its simple

The Big names in the Center-Right ( and I still wouldn’t throw sully out of the tribe entirely yet) Andrew Sullivan and Gaypatriot both have put some focus on the killing of homosexuals in Iran. We also see it covered on another good gay center-right…

Trackback by Inside Larry's head — October 5, 2005 @ 8:05 am - October 5, 2005

21. #19 – You recited that to show how absurd it sounds (or is), right?

Comment by joe — October 5, 2005 @ 11:04 am - October 5, 2005

22. Nah he was just selling the truth. It is more important the evil repugicans lose to these groups then the life or death of any gay man ( unless a repugnican did it)

Comment by Larry Bernard — October 5, 2005 @ 1:06 pm - October 5, 2005

23. The question regarding the rights of homosexual’s in America is troubling. But to compare the state sanctioned hanging and torture of Iranian gay men and the act of individual murderers of Sheppard who were tried and put away for life is absurd. “It’s going to happen soon.’ Please, let’s come back to reality. The question in America is whether gay marriage will be instituted as law or whether civil unions will be the norm. For propenents of gay marriage I have no doubt that marriage is the only acceptable result but to compare it to public sanctioned government hanging is beyond stupidity. If sexual preference “cleansing”(state murder) and a marriage liscence are the same thing then John Kerry and Howard Dean should be tried for murder for supporting civil unions instead of legal marriage. KP

Comment by kevinP — October 5, 2005 @ 2:14 pm - October 5, 2005

24. Pretty easy to picket and shout catchy slogans when your protected by the benefits of liberty and democracy here in the USA. Lets see you get a Pro Gay rally going over in Tehran and live to tell about it. Don’t forget your sun block.

The short story: Islam is dangerous for all living things – including Gays. To deny that this is a religious inspired (read the Koran to get a real flavor of what Muslims are seeking to impose, there and here) murder is to deny the obvious. They’re not anti-gay, they’re pro Islam.

But, by all means, keep screaming at Bush regarding the WOT and Katrina. I’m sure he’s building those gay concentration camps in P Town and Fire Island, as we speak.

You can’t appease bullies. And only cowards would try.

Comment by Vera Charles — October 5, 2005 @ 3:04 pm - October 5, 2005

25. Lets not forget their is the Meth issue in the Shepard killing

Comment by Larry Bernard — October 5, 2005 @ 3:07 pm - October 5, 2005

26. UN’s definitions of terror

Oops, moving right along …

Comment by rightwingprof — October 5, 2005 @ 4:31 pm - October 5, 2005

27. “(Our Government, Fed and State) are only a step or two away from the Iranian Government!”

Well Mark….hyperbole does not cut it in making a point. Why liberals have to resort to such extremes will always be a mystery to me. Focus on the guilty, not those you wish were guilty of such a heinous crime. Name one federal or state government leader in the US who supports such a dastardly act such as this. You cannot….

Comment by benj — October 5, 2005 @ 4:59 pm - October 5, 2005

28. #24, well said VC! I think the chickenhawk slur now can be applied with equal vigor to the GayLeft and their cowardly failure to go to Iran and become HumanShields4Gays.

Comment by Michigan-Matt — October 5, 2005 @ 7:23 pm - October 5, 2005

29. Please…gay human shields? Only if Wolfgang Puck is catering it…

(For those of you in Rio Linda, this is an example of SARCASM.)

Comment by Peter Hughes — October 5, 2005 @ 9:19 pm - October 5, 2005

30. #24

Now THAT’S dissent. The whiners over here have no idea what dissent really is.
    Sounds cool and militant, though, I suppose.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — October 5, 2005 @ 10:43 pm - October 5, 2005

31. I emailed Pedram at The Eyeranian for a translation of the banner. Here’s his answer:

“Implementation of justice equals creation of security”

Signature line reads: public relations office for judiciary of khorasan province.

It is actually reversed in picture, suggesting either the picture is reversed or we are looking at the back of the banner. I think the former is correct.

So good to know the Judiciary of Khorasan Province has its own public relations officer. I wish I had know that when I received my BA degree 30 years ago.

Comment by Heraldblog — October 6, 2005 @ 8:34 am - October 6, 2005

32. #31

Ya know, I can’t read that and most of those ME languages look alike to me, but I thought that looked backwards.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — October 6, 2005 @ 10:05 am - October 6, 2005

33. The Real Culture War

They were being persecuted, while others wrestled over the minutiae of the Lutheran Church. The executor fit the nooses snugly around their necks. We found the intra-faith dynamics of lesbian ministers fascinating. And while the rest of the world shout…

Trackback by The Malcontent — October 6, 2005 @ 6:09 pm - October 6, 2005

34. I attended the protest at the Iranian embassy on octobe the 4th.I was there solely to express my outrage at the Iranian govts barbaric treatment of homosexuals[particularly teenagers].This had nothing to do with the so-called phony war on terror being instigated by Bush and his neo- con cronies which you seem to rabidly support.I am not an islamophobe and from speaking to others at the march would acertain that most of them were not either.

Comment by jamie lindsay — October 11, 2005 @ 9:31 am - October 11, 2005

35. it is very inhumane to tortured gays….i am also a gay but now a transsexual,i rised in a very christian dominant family in mindanao,southern philippines….now i am 37 years old,and presently residing her in japan,together with my japanese loving husband,,,,my parents understands me,,,,so i am now living happy with my husband and two cats,,,for the rest of my life…..
    individual understanding is the most important to all humans on earth….. aya of japan

Comment by aya takase — October 20, 2005 @ 9:23 pm - October 20, 2005

36. hamangoone ke khamenei gay haro dar mizane,vaghti enghelab shod va reza pahlai ve hokoomat resid,ma ham akhondhaee ke be khahand mardom ra dore khodeshan jam konand va sokhanrani konand va ya aba va ammame bezarand va amre be amroof va nahi az monkar konand ra dar mizanim.

Comment by mazdak — December 5, 2005 @ 7:55 pm - December 5, 2005

37. i’m american, not gay but supportive. Why do all the anglo countries kow-tow to this muslim crap?? Is Israel really gonna nuke the arabs.?? I hope so, because the americans and euros lack the spine to do so. We love the oil too much.. Why don’t we nuke the entire middle east, indonesia, and asian muslims, then wait for the fallout to disperse then just take the oil for free.?? We are being accused of that anyway. good luck friends.

Comment by joel varadez — February 3, 2006 @ 2:19 am - February 3, 2006

38. do you think i may be a target for some terrorist towelhead, for agreeing that mohammed “could” have been a bloodthirsty maniac.. Is that all it takes to be a muslim prophet, going around whacking off heads of “infidels”. I thought the crusades proved otherwise, where is our crusader prophet??

Comment by joel varadez — February 3, 2006 @ 2:28 am - February 3, 2006

39. Thanks for the information. Very helpful.

Comment by Marianna — February 16, 2006 @ 9:33 am - February 16, 2006

40. I am glad to find your site – now I know what a good one looks like.

Comment by Marcia — February 20, 2006 @ 10:16 pm - February 20, 2006

41. I couldnt agree more!

Comment by Sun — February 22, 2006 @ 10:52 pm - February 22, 2006

42. I am a man that likes other men, but I don’t say I am gay. I still like the idea of having an alternate lifestyle. I believe the reason why gay’s and lesbian’s are so hated ( not only over sea, but in America also), is because they have shoved it in the face of everybody, just like smoking and now it is being done away with. I love living as straight as I can, BUT!!! WHEN I AM BEHIND MY DOORS, IN MY HOUSE, AND NOT AROUND EVERYONE SHOVING MY IDEA’S ABOUT BEING GAY TO PEOPLE OF ALL FAITHS, I DO AS I PLEASE.!!!! People, we are blessed in America and whether you like the president that we have or not, I feel that we need to stand behind him as much as possible. The only time we need to address the issue of having a bad president is, if it gets to the point of death as it was in Iran. If your not part of the solution, then your part of the problem… We have no controll over yesterday, but the decisions we make today, will make for a better tomorrow, and if you don’t stand for someone, you will fall for anyone.

Comment by Joseph Vaughn — October 2, 2006 @ 12:54 am - October 2, 2006

43. I personally say that as long as people keep their heads too far into religion and take things in their faith a little too seriously, then things are always going to be denoted as horrible. Even if Christianity starts getting out of hand, which is possible since nobody seems to understand what seperation of church and state means anymore, then it could possibly start happening in the US with Christianity being the major religion here. We’re not a step or two behind Iran like someone mentioned earlier, but we still have a long way to go before we truely can advance into a better society. Lots of people already say that we’re all ready for a better civilization and that we’re as civilized as we can get so we can move on. It’s actually far behind the truth. We, in America, cannot handle blacks, gays and jews still. It’s almost like the Knights of the Ku Klux Klan has run amock all over the place.Personally if you really wanted to get into it. We’re still a heck of a lot better off than the Middle East. If we really wanted to get things over with and help the world be shaped into a better place for tomorrow for future generations, then we need to give the entire Middle East the 27 nuke salute. When we’re done with that and waiting for the end of nuclear fallout and winter, we can go ahead and steal their oil. Why not, afterall, we would’ve alrady turned the whole nation into a giant sheet of glass.Hail America, screw the rest of the pointless countries. Except maybe Australlia, UK and Germany for their good people, excellent women and cool outback advertures.Oh yeah, Rock on with German beer, but that aside, let’s address the real issue at hand. Are we close to being like Iran? Hell no, not even under the evil Goerge Bush Regime. In all honesty if gay Americans want to be able to be married, not sure which states consist of this though, but there is Common Law in several places here in the US. There is actual record somewhere of a guy being married to a dinner plate. It’s sad really but it’s true.Now here’s our solution, be the first one’s to use nuclear weapons, and nuke any country that opposes us as we’re already a threat to the rest of the world. We go into wars just because they’re a threat to us, now aren’t we a threat to the rest of the world? We have weapons and act like a policing state anyway, so lets just go ahead and bring all the US troops home, and send them that extra special present of the 27 nuke salute and be damn happy about it. Thank you, I’m out…. or something

Comment by Naratoma E. Sakume — October 2, 2006 @ 1:07 am - October 2, 2006

44. Nice site I found … Plan on coming back later.

Comment by breast enhancement — October 9, 2006 @ 12:10 am - October 9, 2006

45. While it is true that Conservative Christian groups campaign against gay marriage as a matter of law…no Christian I know (and I know quite a few) would ever join in or condone the deplorable treatment of gays in Iran or anywhere else for that matter that endorses some kind of death penalty for being gay. I think we need to be honest about how the Shari’a laws of Islam are against every idea of liberty, of the freedoms that we hold dear in this country. We need to stand together against them. The killing of Matthew Sheppard was awful and the perpetrators are in prison…the difference here is that it is not some random drunk guys that killed a gay man, but the government that is DEMANDING that these people be punished by death. Linda Strickland

Comment by Linda Strickland — June 24, 2007 @ 8:50 pm - June 24, 2007

46. There is a thriving gay community in Iran, very overt in some places. While I abhor the death sentence altogether it should be noted that most of the hanged boys we have read about in the last decade were sentenced for committing rape, usually raping younger boys. In this some USA states are as bad as Iran for continuing to use the death sentence. It’s great that people are bringing down pressure on Iran to clean up it’s legal system and honour human rights, I hope they succeed.

Comment by Fari B — January 15, 2008 @ 8:19 am - January 15, 2008