Log Cabin Conspiring Against Christmas?

Posted by Bruce Carroll at 5:59 pm - December 8, 2005.
Filed under: Log Cabin Republicans

In the now yearly battle of secularists to erase all references to the birth of Christ from events happening in December, have Log Cabin (Republicans) now joined the cause?

Christian Grantham seems to think so.

I was always suspicious of GayPatriot’s claim that the leadership of the Log Cabin Republicans (LCR) was in bed with the liberal elites. Then, I visited their website calendar this evening to see what was coming up and saw a special “Holiday Gathering” in Denver, CO on the schedule! It appears that LCR has now joined the President, First Lady, Wal-Mart and the entire liberal secularist War On Christmas.

I’m glad my blog-ally Christian’s eyes have finally opened about Log Cabin, but I would argue that this is perhaps the weakest piece of evidence yet. With “Liberal Cabin’s” largest contributor having his money devoted firmly in the left fringe of America, is it any doubt that Guerriero and Brownson ask how high when Tim Gill says “bring down Bush”? (Much more on the money trail in coming days…)

I am increasingly at a loss to know why Liberal Cabin even uses the word “Republican” in their name? But that’s a battle for 2006! (And more on that later as well….)

For now, Merry Christmas Log Cabin!

-Bruce (GayPatriot)

PS – I’m thrilled to see Christian (who is not GayPatriot) back to daily blogging!!

1. “Holiday Party”, I don’t take it as a slam at Christmas. (The office’s main purpose isn’t Christmas or Christianity, and all kinds of people work there.)

Now “Holiday Tree”, I do take as a slam at Christmas.

Interesting difference. I think it comes down to whether you are merely allowing that people observe different holidays, or whether you are attempting to avoid all utterance of the word “Christmas” no matter how appropriate.

Comment by Calarato — December 8, 2005 @ 6:27 pm - December 8, 2005

2. I fail to see the “logic” in decrying the use of holiday gathering when there are actually 4 overlapping holy-days observed during this calendar-period…Hanukkah, Christian Christmas, the secular X-mas and the recently “invented” Kwanza…observed in varying combinations by just about everyone in America and through much of the westernized world. Especially as New Year’s Day gets rolled-in as a fifth holiday as-well. “Happy Holiday” has at-least a 1-in-5 shot at wishing that individual joy for whichever holiday they observe.

Just as I an NOT offended by Mennorahs, manger scenes, Santa Claus, elves or reindeer; I do think it’s polite to not presume which of the 5 holidays someone might be observing….

Comment by Ted B. (Charging Rhino) — December 8, 2005 @ 6:33 pm - December 8, 2005

3. I noticed the “Holiday Gathering” as well but it was a battle I decided not to pick. It’s probably not worth making a big deal out of, especially when they give us so much more ammunition otherwise. 🙂 Personally, I think Christians and secular Xmas celebrators should just say “Merry Christmas” to everyone. Jews should say “Happy Chanukah”, etc. I won’t be offended if someone says “Happy Kwanza” to me. People are too thin-skinned. We all need to lighten up and accept that we have different beliefs.

Comment by Dale in L.A. — December 8, 2005 @ 7:08 pm - December 8, 2005

4. Personally, ‘Happy Holidays’ doesn’t bother me too much, but I understand where the discomfort comes from. In the current climate, it comes of as exclusionary, going out of one’s way to avoid acknowledging Christmas. If it were the only issue, I’m sure no one would make a big deal about it. But there is a broader cultural context. Christians look at the way the government goes to extreme measures to avoid offending the sensibilities of Islamic terrorists — but at the same time, Christian symbols are banned from public display, and the word ‘Christmas’ is treated almost like an obscenity by schools and city governments.

In the arts, Christians are subjected to stereotyped, caricatured treatment in a way that would be unacceptable to other minorities. When Sum of All Fears was adapted to film, the terrorists were changed from Islamists to neo-Nazis. On the other hand, movies like Saved and Jesus Is Magic and Dogma openly ridicule Christians.

When a fake news story was spread about Korans being flushed at Gitmo, the media went berserk about insensitivity to Muslim beliefs. When “artists” smear the Virgin Mary with Elephant Dung, or immerse a cross in urine, the media ridicules Christians for expressing offense.

You want to know why ‘Happy Holidays’ is a big deal? That’s why. It’s not an issue on it’s own. It’s just the straw that breaks the camel’s back… for some people, not for all.

Comment by V the K — December 8, 2005 @ 7:11 pm - December 8, 2005

5. When I was growing up Happy Holidays was simply another way to express Merry Christmas. When you got tired of saying one expression you could use the other. Especially if writing hundreds of Christmas cards.

For the the younger generation, those are the square pieces of paper with nice pictures on them and friendly notes inside that people used to put into envelopes and mail as a way of showing appreciation for friends. This is what we did instead of printing out of fax or e-mailing Oh-So-Cute little animated E-cards containing embedded spyware and adware. But I digress….

One sad consequence of this debate, wherever you stand, Left, Right, etc. is that now Merry Christmas” is a political statement, rather than a sign of appreciation for friends. (see above). The ACLU AND Bill O’Reilly should both be taken off of Santa’s list this year and next. And send them their official Grinch membership society packets too.

Comment by Patrick (Gryph) — December 8, 2005 @ 8:06 pm - December 8, 2005

6. I think it is appalling that M&M’s are colored red and green in December…. wouldn’t they fall through the holes in Jesus’ hands?

Comment by Greco — December 8, 2005 @ 9:26 pm - December 8, 2005

7. #6 – I’d bet that comment was the latest in the series from some Leftist A-hole – maybe even one of P*ssy/Queer Patriot, Bob or Chandler, hiding who they are – but, I have to admit it was finally clever enough to get a chuckle from me 🙂

Comment by Calarato — December 8, 2005 @ 9:35 pm - December 8, 2005

8. “It appears that LCR has now joined the President, First Lady, Wal-Mart and the entire liberal secularist War On Christmas.”

Are they putting The Christians in ghettos yet?

Why don’t you try this? Worry about your own greetings and stop policing and dictating other people’s greetings. Want to say Merry Christmas? Go right ahead. Want to make other people say Merry Christmas to you? You can’t make them say anything. And why you would want to make them say something of your own choosing is beyond me.

Happy holidays to everyone.

Comment by jimmy — December 8, 2005 @ 11:21 pm - December 8, 2005

9. #7. What is funnier is this phrase: War on Christmas. I can’t stop hee-hawing.

Speaking of hee-hawing, when is GPW going to review Brokeback Mountain? I think your art reivews are more interesting than some of these more silly posts about a War on Christmas.

Hee-haw!!!

Comment by jimmy — December 8, 2005 @ 11:25 pm - December 8, 2005

10. Jimmy – Take a look at this thread about how to argue – in particular, point 6 which advises:

“Hallucinate entirely different points. For example, if someone says apples grow on trees, accuse him of saying snakes have arms and then point out how stupid that is.”

Of which you’ve given us several nice examples (here and elsewhere).

Comment by Calarato — December 8, 2005 @ 11:39 pm - December 8, 2005

11. In the list of those waring against Christmas don’t forget that Fox was selling Bill O’Reilly and FoxNews Holiday ornaments right through the first rants about the issue by Gibson and O’Reilly. They also circulated invitations to their Holiday party as well. Is there no safe place for Christmas anymore?

Comment by Mr. Moderate — December 9, 2005 @ 12:02 am - December 9, 2005

12. I was wondering if you meant Tim Gill. Gill has donated to Log Cabin Republicans – and sponsored Log Cabin conventions for years. I doubt that Gill watches press releases of Log Cabin to the same degree to jump and micromanage as you two do here.

Comment by Eva Young — December 9, 2005 @ 1:05 am - December 9, 2005

13. I woke this morning to see New York City, blanketed in December snow, and the feeling of Christmas filled my body and soul. I turned on the radio to hear Jose Feliciano singing “Feliz Navidad” and could not help but consider this a WAR on English.

Comment by FiFi — December 9, 2005 @ 9:38 am - December 9, 2005

14. ITS SARCASM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Christian Grantham is making fun of GayPatriot, not Log Cabin.

Comment by Mike — December 9, 2005 @ 10:01 am - December 9, 2005

15. There is no war on Christmas.

Unless it’s the one being single-handedly waged by Jon Stewart: “I, Jon Stewart, hate Christmas! Christians! Jews! Morality! And I will not rest until every year families gather to spend December 25th together at Osama’s homo-bortion-pot-and-Commie-jizzporium.”

Comment by Chuck — December 9, 2005 @ 8:41 pm - December 9, 2005

16. I’m against a War on Christmas but would support an Insurgency against Kwanza. By the way, whatever happened to Fitzmas?

Comment by Bobo — December 9, 2005 @ 11:50 pm - December 9, 2005

17. WHERE ARE THE REPUBLICANS?

The invitation I recieved to LCR’s DC Holiday Party lists the party’s
    “Special Guests: Leaders of some of the nation’s principal gay and lesbian organizations, including

Patrick Guerriero, President LCR
    Joe Solmonese, President HRC
    Jody Huckaby, Executive Director of PFLAG
    Chuck Wolfe, Executive Director of the Victory Fund”

Looks more like a HRC “Special Guest” list to me.

Patrick couldnt get any of his close Republican allies as special guests? After all this is a DC Holiday Party.

Comment by AnAtlBoiNow — December 10, 2005 @ 12:07 am - December 10, 2005