Does Air Force Two Carry Barf Bags?

Posted by Bruce Carroll at 6:52 pm - December 17, 2005.
Filed under: National Politics

It sure sounds like it should!

Testy Tummies on Air Force Two – Charlotte Observer

Imagine this: You’re about to set off with the secretary of state to Central Asia, a destination halfway around the world, on two back-to-back seven-hour flights in a packed 757 — and the first meal served is a teeming bowl of pork and beans.
Of all the contentious issues on any trip by the secretary of state, food tops the list. Despite the heroic efforts of dedicated and good-natured military crews to craft miracles from abysmal menus, Air Force Two’s food has become notorious.

“I don’t think you understand the depth of hatred for wing-dings among the staff,” said Jim Wilkinson, one of Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice’s inner circle. “We’re not sure what kind of wings they are. Some people hate the meatballs, but most hate the wing-dings. They violate the laws of war, the Geneva Convention and the international convention on torture. They’re sooo bad.”

“The flan put to rest my theory that at least you could count on a decent dessert,” said Anne Gearan of The Associated Press.

“The meat, it’s awful. It’s much too cooked,” said Sylvie Lanteaume of Agence France-Presse.

“I’m not a vegetarian, but I’d like at least one meal without meat,” said Joel Brinkley of the New York Times as he cut laboriously through a brown slab of meat that has become known as maybe-beef.

“I’m British — I’m used to eating inedible food,” said Saul Hudson of Reuters, adding that he was “aghast” at the food during his first trip with the State Department entourage.

This is an outrage and should be stopped immediately! My tax money is paying to feed the press on their world wide junkets?!? Let them eat cake!

Heh, heh.

-Bruce (GayPatriot)

1. My Texas EMT-I instructor was a distant cousin of BJ’s by marriage and they always got invited to the WH Christmas party. She said that the food was always unremarkable. I had always assumed that there would be the best food at the WH, but apparently there wasn’t much special about it.
    Can’t say I’ve ever been on AF2, but I’ve never had much of a problem with airline food. It’s not the best, but you can get by. Continental always had good fruit.
    Although, on a BA flight from GLA to LGW, I had a sandwich with some sort of brown, gravy like substance that was a little chunky. I have no idea what it was or what it tasted like, but I still ate it due to the fact that I was hungry and decided I was probably expanding my international palette.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — December 17, 2005 @ 7:58 pm - December 17, 2005

2. Serves the parasites right, caferteria-food!

Either Lady Condi is one those “food’s unimportant” people, or she has a nice gourmet box-lunch smuggled aboard discretely.

Comment by Ted B. (Charging Rhino) — December 17, 2005 @ 8:35 pm - December 17, 2005

3. I don’t want to get nit-picky, Bruce, but “Air Force Two” is a designation the Air Force assigns to an aircraft carrying the Vice President. It doesn’t make any difference whether it’s the 757 he normally flies or a Piper Cub, the plane he’s aboard is “Air Force Two”. (The same is true of the President. The 747 that normally carries the President is “Air Force One” only when the President is aboard the aircraft. If the President flies in to a small airport on a Air Force Gulfstream that plane is “Air Firce One”.)

The 757 the Secretary of State uses for foreign travel is from the fleet of a special USAF wing at Andrews AFB used by the President, Vice President, Cabinet members and members of the House and Senate.

Secretary Rice must not have much interest in food. My personal experiences aboard USAF VIP flights was that Air Force stewards prepared meals equal to first class service on the world’s best airlines. (A former employee of mine served as a steward on Air Force One during the Nixon and Ford administrations and assured me no one ever had reason to complain on any of those flights.)

And, Bruce, unless policies have changed, we taxpayers are probably not feeding reporters aboard the Secretary of State’s aircraft. I think news organizations pay airfare for their representatives to accompany her, the President or Vice President.

Comment by Jack Allen — December 18, 2005 @ 12:30 am - December 18, 2005

4. Those spoiled reporters should learn to be grateful that they even have food to eat. There are starving kids in Africa.

Comment by Hello Moto — December 18, 2005 @ 9:51 am - December 18, 2005

5. Let em eat cake.

Comment by hank — December 18, 2005 @ 11:41 am - December 18, 2005

6. For the geeks amongst us, the USAF has a small fleet of VIP jets;

(2) 747 Presidential transports (usually on for the Pres; one active-duty, one stand-by or for special missions)
    (4) 757 VIP intercontinental transports (VP and cabinet officers)
    and a small squadron of Gulfstream-type corporate jets for short-range and North Atlantic flights.

Plus, the SecDef has his own 767 flying command-post that he uses instead of the 757 VIP, as well as a semi-coverted C-17 for rough fields.

There are rumors of a second 767 command-post painted in civilian airline livery.

Comment by Ted B. (Charging Rhino) — December 18, 2005 @ 12:41 pm - December 18, 2005

7. #4

The spoiled reporters should be thankful their sorry asses are even on the plane.

#5

With Heinz Ketchup?

Comment by ThatGayConservative — December 18, 2005 @ 7:38 pm - December 18, 2005