“There Are Only Two Options — Victory Or Defeat”

Posted by Bruce Carroll at 9:33 pm - December 18, 2005.
Filed under: War On Terror

President Bush just finished one of the very few Oval Office addresses to the American people on the War on Terror and the Iraqi Theatre. I appreciate all of you who participated in “live comment blogging” in the posting below. Great comments!

First on style points, let me agree with PatriotPal and That Gay Conservative… Bush has always done better when he talks in front of an audience; maybe he feeds off of the energy of large crowds? I can relate to that. However, I noticed from a stylistic sense there was a change in this Oval Office (non-audience) speech. Bush was not confined by sitting on his hands — literally. He allowed himself to talk as he is comfortable — with this hands, leaning forward toward the audience and becoming animated as if he were in front of an audience. I have to say it was the most comfortable I have felt watching the President as a TV-watcher.

On substance, I think he did a very good job of laying out the connection between taking the War on Terror to the terrorists (in both Iraq and Afghanistan.)

Here are some key passages from my perspective from the speech:

The terrorists do not merely object to American actions in Iraq and elsewhere, they object to our deepest values and our way of life. And if we were not fighting them in Iraq, in Afghanistan, in Southeast Asia and in other places, the terrorists would not be peaceful citizens — they would be on the offense, and headed our way.

My conviction comes down to this: We do not create terrorism by fighting the terrorists. We invite terrorism by ignoring them. And we will defeat the terrorists by capturing and killing them abroad, removing their safe havens and strengthening new allies like Iraq and Afghanistan in the fight we share.

Yet there is a difference between honest critics who recognize what is wrong, and defeatists who refuse to see that anything is right.

Defeatism may have its partisan uses, but it is not justified by the facts. For every scene of destruction in Iraq, there are more scenes of rebuilding and hope. For every life lost, there are countless more lives reclaimed. And for every terrorist working to stop freedom in Iraq, there are many more Iraqis and Americans working to defeat them. My fellow citizens: Not only can we win the war in Iraq, we are winning the war in Iraq.

I also want to speak to those of you who did not support my decision to send troops to Iraq: I have heard your disagreement, and I know how deeply it is felt. Yet now there are only two options before our country — victory or defeat. And the need for victory is larger than any president or political party because the security of our people is in the balance. I do not expect you to support everything I do, but tonight I have a request: Do not give in to despair, and do not give up on this fight for freedom.

Finally, I think it is important that the President continue these updates to the American people. The more he talks directly to us, the more the lies of the Left Wing Media are apparent.

WELCOME INSTAPUNDIT READERS!! TAKE A MOMENT AND BROWSE AROUND THIS LEADING GAY CONSERVATIVE VOICE IN THE BLOGOSPHERE!

UPDATE: Video of the speech is up from Ian at The Political Teen.

-Bruce (GayPatriot)

1. Yippee! A shout out in an actual post!

Comment by PatriotPal — December 18, 2005 @ 9:39 pm - December 18, 2005

2. And Bruce, I think you’re right on both your style and substance points. I think he should keep doing these as well, every so often. Unfortunately, the broadcast networks will stop covering them if they are too often.

Comment by PatriotPal — December 18, 2005 @ 9:40 pm - December 18, 2005

3. #1

He mentioned my comment, but left out my name. 🙁

I agree with Bruce’s last statement though.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — December 18, 2005 @ 9:43 pm - December 18, 2005

4. Awwww, what’s your name . . . I’ll mention it.

Comment by PatriotPal — December 18, 2005 @ 9:46 pm - December 18, 2005

5. TGC — I re-edited the post and gave you a “shout out” with a link! 🙂

Comment by GayPatriot — December 18, 2005 @ 9:46 pm - December 18, 2005

6. Just flipping channels now and watching MSNUTTYBC coverage with Keith “Moonbat” Olberman. He just said that President Bush asked for critics to give him more time to win in Iraq and then claimed the war was having a negative effect on the American economy.

HUH? What friggin economy is Keith living in? The one where you can’t get a parking spot at any restaurant, mall or movie theatre? The one with historic lows in unemployment and interest rates?

Sheesh! Check out tomorrow’s AM post here at GP regarding a new study about the (obvious) liberal bias of the American news media.

Comment by GayPatriot — December 18, 2005 @ 9:51 pm - December 18, 2005

7. (I already read tomorrow’s post before you RIPPED it back off the site)

Comment by PatriotPal — December 18, 2005 @ 10:02 pm - December 18, 2005

8. Bush’s Sunday Night Address

The White House has released excerpts from the address President Bush will deliver tonight.  It sounds like President Bush will be …

Trackback by The Political Pit Bull — December 18, 2005 @ 10:44 pm - December 18, 2005

9. This is a technique developed by such notables as Feliks Dzerzhinsky, Lavrenti Beria, and other such icons of Socialism. It is known as disinformation. An excellent definition of this is here: http://world-information.org/wio/infostructure/100437611661/100438658013?opmode=contents
    Read it? Look familiar? It should. And always remember “Just because you’re paranoid doesn’t mean they aren’t out to get you.”

Comment by thirdfinger — December 18, 2005 @ 11:00 pm - December 18, 2005

10. I have heard everyone and their blogger mother saying for the longest time that presdent Bush should have explained himself, defended himself, responded to critics more, and not let himself be demonized like he has. I disagree. I believe W has had a PR stratagy from the begining of his second term, when he made his comment about ‘spending his political capital’. If he had been constantly defending himself, and responding to every stupid charge thrown at him, he would have looked weak, and he would have had time for nothing else. Plus, it would have made very little difference. No matter what, the moonbat left are never going to be happy about Pres. Bush breathing. For a season, there was no cost if his approval ratings dipped. But now, the time has come, seconds before the ’06 election cycle…Walla! Iraq is looking like a huge success even to the most myopic newsperson, the economy is booming, gas prices are at an acceptable level, morale of the military is high, freedom is spreading…and all the shrill Bush haters are trapped by all the bile they have been vomiting for the last year. “If the idiots want to make fools of themselves”, I can hear Bush saying,”I’ll just go about my business and let them”
    Of course this stratagy was dependant on the rise of the bloggosphere, and wouldn’t have worked 5 years ago.
    Death to the Grey Lady!!

Comment by lee — December 18, 2005 @ 11:21 pm - December 18, 2005

11. I agree with the President. Are you a winner or a loser? Are you for victory or defeat? No lame nuance, just answer the question. Don’t yammer about your patriotisim, just answer the simple but quite revealing question, for the children.

Comment by Bobo — December 19, 2005 @ 12:19 am - December 19, 2005

12. Support a true Christian Patriot for California Governor.

Let’s Draft Mel Gibson! DraftMelGibson.com

Comment by mel gibson for governor! — December 19, 2005 @ 1:10 am - December 19, 2005

13. I guess when the Commander in Chief, in definance of the Fourth Amendment, becomes the sole law of the land, such as spying on fellow Americans without prior court order, it’s the price we must all pay to win the war on “freedom and democracy.” Good patriots just look the other way. Just like the SS during Hitler’s time, the KGB in Stalin’s, and Nixon in Watergate. The end does justify the means, even if NO end is in sight. Oh, and don’t tell me that “some” in Congress was privy to this illicit activity; the fact is, they weren’t. So much for our constitutional form of government, much less one of checks and balances. Bush is our Leader. He can do ANYTHING he wants. Screw, the American system of government. He’s got our best interests at heart. Right! Very FAR Right.

Comment by Stephen — December 19, 2005 @ 1:48 am - December 19, 2005

14. Stephen (#13)–Once again, your comment does not reference the post to which you attach your angry words.

No, the president did not violate the 4th Amendment. Not only did the president repeatedly notify congressional leadership, “the program has been heavily lawyered by multiple agencies, including the Department of Justice and NSA and White House, and is regularly reviewed.” Just because you hate the president doesn’t make what he does illegal. It’s clear that he made every effort to follow the law.

He did respect our constitutional form of government and, in this instance, he, representing the executive branch, consulted the two remaining branches before taking action. The more information that comes out on this, the clearer it becomes that not only did president do the right thing, but he also did the legal thing. And this project was particularly warranted in light of national security concerns in the immediate aftermath of 9/11 (when such eavesdropping took place).

Comment by GayPatriotWest — December 19, 2005 @ 2:26 am - December 19, 2005

15. I really think you’re just encouraging Stephen. He probably really isn’t hateful; he just finds the response he gets here to be amusing. Having said that, I’ll say that I’m not the only conservative who is troubled by the secret authorization of the NSA spying program.

“I review my own actions every 45 days, and I determine that I am not violating the law.” That’s hardly the way the Founders envisioned the checks and balances. Simply consulting the other two branches isn’t the same as obtaining the constitutionally required permission of the other two branches. Saying “What do you think?” and then pressing on is hardling a form of checks and balances. The wiretapping was done only a couple hundred times over the span of four years. That maybe averages out to a search warrant every two days. How hard would it have been to visit a judge every two days? Don’t we already have a secret national security court established for things like that? This judicial oversight established by a legislative act ensures that the executive branch has the proper constitutional authority to conduct the wiretaps.

I understand that we are fighting a war, and I accept that we must curtail some civil liberties in order to be victorious. But the Constitution provides legal means to curtail those liberties in wartime. It’s not like the president would have risked liberal obstructionism in Congress by asking for the search power in question — the court had already been established, and the necessary laws already in place. All they had to do was visit a judge.

Comment by Hello Moto — December 19, 2005 @ 4:25 am - December 19, 2005

16. I just read the law in question — the FISA. It appears that the president did have proper authority, so long as he notified the Attorney General and the secret tribunal. However, while the law only requires the secret court to be notified, it does not require permission from the court.

So I guess my beef now is with the FISA and the Congress that passed it. The president should probably have exercised better judgment than to utilize powers, though legislatively granted, of dubious constitutionality. But I think it is more proper to redirect criticism to a Congress that so carelessly passed this law without serious consideration of its constitutionality.

Comment by Hello Moto — December 19, 2005 @ 4:32 am - December 19, 2005

17. Watch out!

The black helicopters are monitoring what you type via the fillings in your teeth! Time to ratchet the foil hats a few notches.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — December 19, 2005 @ 5:43 am - December 19, 2005

18. Great speech…I was in the audience last week at the World Affairs Council in Phila, and realized it was a preview for the speech last night. Finally, thank goodness Karen Hughes is obviously back in the loop of PR for the President. Her touch was obvious

Comment by PatriotMom — December 19, 2005 @ 7:38 am - December 19, 2005

19. “I guess when the Commander in Chief, in definance of the Fourth Amendment, becomes the sole law of the land, such as spying on fellow Americans without prior court order,”

About 25 years ago I was a lowly airman working with the NSA. Although I’ve been out for so long and evidently it is now ok to casually tell secrets in today’s intelligence community, I’ll just say that nothing in this revelation about the NSA is surprising. And I was in it during the Carter administration. Somebody ask Carter why he allowed it.

Comment by eb — December 19, 2005 @ 8:37 am - December 19, 2005

20. Would any US citizen, injured by the President’s FISA actions, please raise their hand? There are thousands of reporters in the hate GWB minions, at the MSM, who would love to write your story.

Anyone?

Crickets

Comment by Ed Poinsett — December 19, 2005 @ 9:51 am - December 19, 2005

21. Newsflash for liberals: Bush is not conservative.

Comment by rightwingprof — December 19, 2005 @ 10:25 am - December 19, 2005

22. Between McCain’s “Al Qaeda Bill of Rights,” and the refusal of Democrats to reauthorize the Patriot Act (Welcome back, wall of separation between law enforcement and intelligence, so helpful to the 9-11 hijackers), it seems the Senate has determined that defending the American Way of Life just isn’t worth it if it subjects even one terrorist to discomfort or inconvenience.

Comment by V the K — December 19, 2005 @ 11:37 am - December 19, 2005

23. ~GASP~ You mean my secret and highly confidential phone call to Mohommud Whozit in Saude Arabia may have been monitered without a judges blessing! The HORROR!
    (to any government types that my be reading this, that was SARCASM, honest….never happened, really!)
    Ahhhh, gotta go, someones banging on the door….and there’s helicopters circling overhead….

Comment by lee — December 19, 2005 @ 1:17 pm - December 19, 2005

24. Hey Stephen – Don’t waste your breathe here at “Gay Patriot” – these homos have it in for themselves…they honestly think this president cares about them and thier rights / Equality as Americans…its almost funny! I am still trying to figure out how any reasonable gay person could honestly belive the Rethugs have thier interest at heart….unless its thier own SELF interest!

Comment by JRC — December 19, 2005 @ 3:18 pm - December 19, 2005

25. Don’t try to give Stephen advice, JRC. Stephen has plenty of breath to waste, and he will puff and blow here on his own discretion.

“I am still trying to figure out how any reasonable gay person could honestly belive the Rethugs have thier interest at heart….unless its thier own SELF interest!”

Do you mean self-interests like my self-interest in:

– not getting blown up in a terrorist attack?
    – not having an Islamo-fascist Caliphate string me up like an Iranian teenager?
    – being able to live in a free country under rule of law, including a dynamic economy along with other, moral and spiritual benefits?

Then please count me GUILTY AS CHARGED.

Now let’s look at the self-interests of the Democrats, which you appear to support:

– Rule of politicians and bureaucrats (vs. freedom under rule of law)
    – Lip service to individualism, but absolutely none in reality – “The enslavement of all to all”

Those are the Democrats’ self-interests, which you would appear to support. Wild guess: Might you be a public employee? or tied / related to one?

Comment by Calarato — December 19, 2005 @ 3:36 pm - December 19, 2005

26. – Legislating everything to the Nth degree, to control and undermine everything and everyone, excepting only abortion and extreme sex;
    – Rule of politicians and bureaucrats (vs. freedom under rule of law)

I am a dem – but would prefer a 3rd party at this point. ..you seem to think we should just be lucky they don’t string us up…so no need for further Equality- right? Lets be lucky for what we have? No thank u – I’d still trust Dems before Repugs who hang onto the religious right (those who we’d dissappear or change) NO THANKS! The dems are far from perfect – but Id take my chances with them….before Id ever stoop so low as to buddy up to the very people who want to make me a 2nd class citizen. We don’t need Equality – as long as the rethugs keep terorist away…right? Pleeez! I see thier “Scare Tactics” wrk well on you. …did they scare you into believing you are less then deserving of Equality too?

Comment by JRC — December 19, 2005 @ 4:49 pm - December 19, 2005

27. Second-class. Like how people in the south are viewed by Liberals?

Maybe like me under a Kerry presidency – he makes me drive a useless hybrid while he takes a fuel-busting private jet on all his personal travels. Maybe how he expects me to pay more in taxes while he only pays 12% of his.

Those are the only second-class situations I can see myself in. I live a happy and modestly successful life without the legal marriage. My seven year monogomous relationship is the envy of many a hetero and almost every homo.

It is very easy not to vote for the traitors in charge of the party of asses.

Comment by VinceTN — December 19, 2005 @ 5:55 pm - December 19, 2005

28. JRC, are you really saying you want the religious people “disappeared”? WOW! Talk about intolerent!
    Poor you. Even though you have more rights than 99% of the rest of the world, parades celebrating your lifestyle in every major city in the country, the same constitutional rights as virtually everyone else in the country, poor you is horribly disrespected by those that don’t think your lifestyle is healthy for society as a whole. BURN THOSE WHO DON’T THINK LIKE YOU!!
    I’m sorry, just because there are those of us who believe in traditional values, that doesn’t mean we are evil. Comments like yours convinces me that no matter how much society bends over for you(sorry, an unfortunate analogy!), it will never be enough. When everything in our culture is completely re-arrainged just for you, including a new law stating the next three presidents must be gay to make up for the lack of gay presidents in the past, it won’t be enough. Then the goat fuckers and pedofiles will be wanting acceptance and the right to marry thier favorite animal or child. I’m sorry, I’m not comparing you to a pedofile, but this…pick your battles! The current battle is against a vicious relgious preversion that would not only string you up for being gay, but will happily kill us all because we aren’t Muslim! And the Dems are enabeling them. You should listen carefully to Calarato, HE has his priorities in line.

Comment by lee — December 19, 2005 @ 5:56 pm - December 19, 2005

29. Lee I feel sorry for you! WOW – shame you’re so brain-washed to think you deserve less the Equality. I have no wish for anyone to disappear…religion should stay the hell out of politics unless they want to pay taxes. You may be happy in your little bubble of a world…but as you know thier are many Gay & Lesbian families wrongly effected by the policys of the Bush administration…you can NOT deny that fact! Why are they effected..? Because they don’t have equal access to benefits, property rights etc and many legal proceedures, cause’ they are NOT recognized as a legal couple. You can live your status quo…but I will fight til my dying breath for Equality for ALL Americans, and for young gays and gays yet to be born. Boy yuou really fell for the propaganda with your line – Then the goat fuckers and pedofiles will be wanting acceptance and the right to marry thier favorite animal or child. WHAT A SHAME!

Comment by JRC — December 20, 2005 @ 9:53 am - December 20, 2005

30. JRC, don’t fell sorry for me, I’m fine. I have my health, make a decent living doing what I like , And live in the most fortunate place on the planet to persue happiness.
    You are letting your fanaticism show. You say Bushes policies are wrongly affecting you, but then admit it is the status quo I am defending. The latter is true, and you need to admit you aren’t correcting a recent wrong, you are trying to change a very long, entrenched socital structure. Thats not neccessarily wrong, society is always evolving(slavery for example). Luckily you live in a country that allows you to try and influence the system without being punished for it in any way, as long as you play by the rules. American culture has swung drastically in my life(I’m a boomer), Yet instead of counting your lucky stars you are an American, you complain, cry and bitch that other peoples opinions are keeping you from having EVERYTHING you want RIGHT NOW. Hey, life isn’t always fair, but again…PICK YOUR BATTLES! This isn’t the evil country. This country is, however, currently AT WAR with a evil idealoligy. One that we must win, or else you will find out what it”s really like to be repressed. You and I can debate whether changing the definition of marraige is a good idea or not, but if you lived in Iran, the big lock on the closet door you are hiding behind woud be the only thing keeping your neck the proper lenght. Just by advanceing the myth that America is an evil, repressive country helps the enemy WE ARE AT WAR WITH, you give them wrong justification(on two counts; we are repressive, and we don’t shut up the fags), and you gve them endurance. They feel we are a house devided, and can’t long stand.
    By all means, keep fighting for what you feel is right. But for goodness sake, quit demonizing your own country and enabling or enemys. (I don’t know if You are JRC, but I believe for sure the democratic partys ladership is.)

Comment by lee — December 20, 2005 @ 4:28 pm - December 20, 2005

31. As an aside,RE. Gay marriage. I, as a twice divorced man, can’t comprehend why gay men want any part of it. One of the great injustises of this country that I am passionate about, is the way divorce courts treat fathers. A result of ‘no-fault’ divorce.(Still want to live here more than anywhere else…)
    Tell ya what JRC,get behind the Bush Administrations vision for a democritisation of the middle east, moderate your tone and understand you are competing with others passions and perspectives, and I’ll get behind you on civil union equity for gay couples. (I’m not sure how to dicourage massive abuse though, the only difference between gay couples and friends that are room mates is the private swap of body fluids.)

Comment by lee — December 20, 2005 @ 5:11 pm - December 20, 2005

32. I am straight but I consider you a true patriot and you would be welcome in my timr anytime.

Thanks for your web page

Comment by Chris — December 25, 2005 @ 6:37 pm - December 25, 2005