TIME’s ‘Persons Of The Year’ — The Good Samaritans

Posted by Bruce Carroll at 6:00 pm - December 18, 2005.
Filed under: Post 9-11 America

U2’s Bono and Bill & Melinda Gates are highlighted by TIME as their “Persons of the Year” for 2005 in news that just came out around 5:30PM Eastern time this afternoon. Here’s the cover.

Do you agree? Disagree? Who would you have picked as Man, Woman or Person of the Year for 2005?

I think my choice would have been one of two — “The American Soldier” or “The Unlikely Voters” (Palestinian, Lebanese, Iraq, Afghanistan).

-Bruce (GayPatriot)

1. My choice would have been the Iraqi, Afghan, and Lebanese voters as well. But, for that, Time would have had to give credit to Bush, and Hell hasn’t frozen over yet.

Comment by V the K — December 18, 2005 @ 7:01 pm - December 18, 2005

2. Should have been the voters, but we know better than to think Time would debase themselves by promoting that. Rather, they’ll just have Newsweek fabricate another story of torture to incite more riots.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — December 18, 2005 @ 7:36 pm - December 18, 2005

3. Bruce, I’m with you and Michelle–it’s should be the unlikely voters. The real issue this year has been the spread of democracy around the world. Just this week, Iraqis voted for members of their National Assembly while Afghanistan’s first freely elected such body convened. That’s significant. But, to acknowledge that significance would be also to acknowledge the success of the President’s foreign policy.

Comment by GayPatriotWest — December 18, 2005 @ 7:49 pm - December 18, 2005

4. Melinda Gates? so marrying up is considered an accomplishment? Typical Liberal drivel. The aid to Africa mantra is proving to be another feelgood cause celebre for the MSM who do not seem concerened at all with Africa’s lack of Democracy, religious freedom and open markets for their products.

But of course if we were to celebrate Democracy and Freedom then TIME would have to acknowledge the Afghan and Iraqi elections as well as the Democracy movement in Lebanon and Ukraine.

Comment by republichick — December 18, 2005 @ 8:35 pm - December 18, 2005

5. Was There No One Better?

Apparently I’m not alone in thinking that Time’s choices were, ummm, lame. So did a lot of folks. This happens every year, but if you’re going to honor generosity, how about the millions of people who donated billions of dollars to help with the rel…

Trackback by A Blog For All — December 18, 2005 @ 9:01 pm - December 18, 2005

6. My first thought was – couldn’t they have used a less unflattering shot for their cover? They all look like they were dipped in dirty bathwater.

My second thought – I know that Bono is a great humanitarian, but what has he done this year that he hasn’t done various other times? I can’t figure that out for Bill Gates either. What was specific for 2005? I think they just wanted celebrities on the cover.

Comment by Carl — December 18, 2005 @ 9:08 pm - December 18, 2005

7. Oh, and I think Melinda looks like Katharine Harris in that shot. Interesting.

Comment by Carl — December 18, 2005 @ 9:09 pm - December 18, 2005

8. Not that these three haven’t done some good work which should be recognized, but there were better choices for 2005. Just like Time chose the American soldier a few years ago, they could have chosen the Iraqi voter for 2005.

Comment by PatriotPal — December 18, 2005 @ 9:15 pm - December 18, 2005

9. Ummm, how many people have given away $6 billion? Ever?

Comment by Malcontent — December 18, 2005 @ 9:52 pm - December 18, 2005

10. Totally off subject but I wondered if anyone else saw Dan(GPW) on CSPAN2’s BookTV show with Tammy Bruce talking about her new book. So nice to put a face and a voice with the name.

Comment by John — December 18, 2005 @ 10:06 pm - December 18, 2005

11. Not so off topic.

When did Bono get old?

Comment by John — December 18, 2005 @ 10:13 pm - December 18, 2005

12. Ummm, how many people have given away $6 billion? Ever?

While his $6 billion can certainly go further than what most people give, the reality is $6 billion dollars from Gates isn’t that much different than people who give about 10-20% of their income to charity. So, I just can’t get all that impressed with the sacrificial aspect of his gift.

I don’t think it is neccessarily bad to go for the humanitarian types, but I am not sure than any of them have gone above and beyond what they have in the past to make this year noteworthy.

I also think there were other major news stories and news makers that are more deserving, so it isn’t so much that they don’t deserve it, but there just seems to be better choices out there.

The votes this year in Iraq-as well as other places certainly stand out.

Comment by Just Me — December 18, 2005 @ 10:24 pm - December 18, 2005

13. $6 billion dollars from Gates isn’t that much different than people who give about 10-20% of their income to charity

That isn’t a fair comparison. You compare Bill Gates giving 10-20% of his net worth to others giving that same percentage of their net income. Big difference.

Comment by John — December 18, 2005 @ 10:45 pm - December 18, 2005

14. John–I didn’t see me ’cause I overslept yesterday. How did I look? 🙂

A law school classmate saw me (that’s how I know it aired) and because Tammy promoted the blog, contacted me; it was great to hear from him.

Comment by GayPatriotWest — December 19, 2005 @ 2:30 am - December 19, 2005

15. #13 – There are more big differences.

If Just Me gives away 10-20% of his/her income, that’s, say, $10,000. If Bill Gates gives away 10-20% of his net worth, that’s $6,000,000,000. There would appear to be a difference right there of Oh I don’t know, maybe $5,999,990,000?

But I’m not talking about the value or purchasing power of the gifts in themselves. I’m talking about the fact that Bill Gates has, through his relentless hard work and initiative and vision and business genius, contributed so much to society and people’s lives that any $6,000,000,000 or $60,000,000,000 that he does keep for himself is but a tiny fraction of his total contribution and well earned; most of his contribution being given away to others in sheer productive business activity.

Economic activity, especially in fundamental technologies that raise the productivity of the whole economy, is a huge gift to society.

Bill Gates’ total contribution to society is millions of times as large as Just Me’s probable contribution, even if Just Me gives away everything he/she owns (unlikely) and Bill Gates not a dime.

But as it happens, after all his contributions to society, Bill Gates did give away an ADDITIONAL $6,000,000,000 (or whatever) of the tiny part he had kept for himself. “On a percentage basis it’s the same as anyone else” – Pure crap.

Comment by Calarato — December 19, 2005 @ 4:20 am - December 19, 2005

16. Note I said I was impressed with the “sacrificial” aspect of his gift. You are going to have a hard time convincing me that Gates’ gift put hurt his total networth that much, or hurt him financially.

I absolutely agree that his ability to give, and what he can give and can contribute certainly can do a lot more, and do more good than what others give, but I just don’t think the gift in and of itself makes him extra special.

Comment by Just Me — December 19, 2005 @ 7:00 am - December 19, 2005

17. #9 – I think the American Taxpayer gives billions of dollars to the rest of the world on a regular basis. Why don’t they put our photo on TIME?

Comment by GayPatriot — December 19, 2005 @ 12:13 pm - December 19, 2005

18. #16 – OK, JM. I ran in a certain direction. I can agree with you at least this much, that his gift of $6,000,000,000 doesn’t make him special in my eyes. (As I explained) it’s his other, huger contributions to the world that I respect him for.

Comment by Calarato — December 19, 2005 @ 10:45 pm - December 19, 2005