Panthers On Top, Eyeing Super Bowl Again?

Posted by Bruce Carroll at 2:00 pm - December 19, 2005.
Filed under: Sports

My new hometown team, the Carolina Panthers, are eyeing a trip to Detroit for the Super Bowl after an impressive win yesterday against the New Orleans Saints (exiled to Baton Rouge).

From recovering from a suspected case of food poisoning, to last-second tweaks to the playbook, to playing a make-shift team with a new quarterback in its make-shift home, to catching some breaks from the outside, everything went perfectly for the Carolina Panthers on Sunday.

Steve Smith scored twice and the defense came up with four interceptions as the Panthers moved back into sole possession of first place in the NFC South with a 27-10 victory against the New Orleans Saints at Tiger Stadium.

GO PANTHERS!

-Bruce (GayPatriot)

1. welcome to the Panther faithful. I’m suffering withdrawal since we never get to see them out here 🙂

Comment by caltechgirl — December 19, 2005 @ 2:09 pm - December 19, 2005

2. Are you taking a page from Hillary “I’m a Yankees fan” Clinton’s book by immediately rooting for the team nearest to where you live?

Comment by PatriotPal — December 19, 2005 @ 2:35 pm - December 19, 2005

3. This seems like a strained attempt to appear butch by faining interest in football. 😉 These days, even a 200-0 win over the Saints would be more expected than impressive.

Comment by Mike — December 19, 2005 @ 2:41 pm - December 19, 2005

4. Bruce, glad to see you joining the Panther’s faithful. I got to see them play da’ bears here in chicago a few weeks ago. have a drink for me at Pewter Rose!

Comment by chgobike — December 19, 2005 @ 2:42 pm - December 19, 2005

5. Don’t worry PatriotPal, ours will, by my insistence, now and forever remain a Yankees house now matter what the league might do in the future.

And honestly, can you blame Bruce for throwing the Eagles over the side?

Comment by PatriotPartner — December 19, 2005 @ 5:05 pm - December 19, 2005

6. You can’t tell the Patriots around here without a program….LOL.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — December 19, 2005 @ 5:24 pm - December 19, 2005

7. Oh Please! My Bolts beat the Colts!!! That’s much bigger news.

Comment by sonicfrog — December 19, 2005 @ 5:28 pm - December 19, 2005

8. I have to agree, beating the saints is like beating my brownies. not as tough as it looks

Comment by The_Livewire — December 19, 2005 @ 7:39 pm - December 19, 2005

9. “And honestly, can you blame Bruce for throwing the Eagles over the side? ”

Uh, yes. It’s called being a “fair-weather fan” and it means you can’t be counted on to support your peeps when the chips are down as well as up. If I were you Partner, I’d make sure his fingers weren’t crossed if you ever hear him say, “For Richer, For Poorer, Till Death Do Us Part.”

Sorry, Bruce, but as a REAL Eagles fan who’s been with them during the good and the bad times I can’t abide that kind of bandwagon jumping. No real sports fan would. When/if they ever win the SuperBowl, you’d be wise not to try to climb back on board…you’ll only be shoved back off. Ba-da-BING!

Comment by glisteny — December 19, 2005 @ 7:58 pm - December 19, 2005

10. Glisteny (and Chad!) – I will always keep the Eagles in my deepest cells of my heart… but they are breaking them apart every day!

Comment by GayPatriot — December 19, 2005 @ 8:07 pm - December 19, 2005

11. I’m going for the obvious choice, which is the Colts, to be Super Bowl Champions. As for the NFC, it is a much weaker conference, and teams that don’t deserve to make the playoffs, such as possibly the Panthers, will make it. But since they will probably make the playoffs, they have a good shot making it to the Super Bowl, with Seattle and the NY Giants as the only good teams in the NFC. Teams like San Diego in the AFC, who are deserving, and who beat the Colts, may not even make the playoffs. The Colts biggest problem is the choke factor, as Peyton Manning is sometimes noted for in the playoffs, especially if they have to face New England again.

Comment by Pat — December 20, 2005 @ 6:47 am - December 20, 2005