Patriot Act Claims First ‘Innocent Victim’…

Posted by Bruce Carroll at 10:38 pm - December 25, 2005.
Filed under: War On Terror

….in his own mind. (h/t – LittleGreenFootballs).

Federal agents’ visit was a hoax – SouthCoastToday.com

The UMass Dartmouth student who claimed to have been visited by Homeland Security agents over his request for “The Little Red Book” by Mao Zedong has admitted to making up the entire story.

The 22-year-old student tearfully admitted he made the story up to his history professor, Dr. Brian Glyn Williams, and his parents, after being confronted with the inconsistencies in his account.

Had the student stuck to his original story, it might never have been proved false.

So yet again, the only “innocent” claimed by “excesses” of the Patriot Act is victimized by his own paranoia. I’ve yet to see a real, documented case of anyone, who isn’t breaking the law or here illegally, having their “civil liberties” violated by the Patriot Act. Or wiretapping.

If you aren’t doing anything illegal, are in this country legally and aren’t calling your al-Qaeda friends overseas, you don’t have anything to fear. Except the scare tactics of Democrats.

-Bruce (GayPatriot)

1. I might object. I might decline to participate. I might just pray to Jesus instead of the Islamic moon-god, but I wouldn’t sue to use the power of the courts to stop someone else from publically professing their religious belief.

Comment by V the K — December 29, 2005 @ 3:27 pm - December 29, 2005

2. I think evangelical Christians have far less influence in Government than militant secularists have in media, academia, and especially the courts. If Christians have so much power, then why wasn’t the Faith-based initiative passed? Why are religious symbols banned from public display? Why are there almost no evangelical Christian characters in mainstream film or TV? It doesn’t look like Christians control much of anything.

Now you are trying to change the rules to fit an outcome. I did not refer to “Evangelical Christians” in my post. I said “Christians”. Mis-characterizing all Christians as Evangelical or Fundamentalist is primarily a tactic of the Left, so I’m surprised to see you using it.

That fact is that a large number Christians, maybe even a majority, do believe in many of the ideas that you attribute to “militant secularists”, such as a fairly rigid adherence to the concept of a separation between Church and State.

This is nothing new. John Adams was against public proclamations of religious holidays such as Christmas, and was even against the idea of having military and congressional chaplains. Are you going to call him a militant atheist?

As I said before to NDT, the culture wars are not between secularists and Christians. They are between different groups of Christians.

However, an inter-denominational war within Christianity does not make for sexy TV ratings or political campaign flyers. So thus you have walking blow-holes such as O’Reilly shoveling such crap as the “War on Christmas”. Thanks to them, “Merry Christmas” is now no longer a blessing of good wishes, it has become a wild-eyed furious political statement made through clenched jaws. I hope O’Reilly, got his well-earned lump of coal in his stocking this year. I fact, I hope he was wearing them at the time.

Comment by Patrick (Gryph) — December 29, 2005 @ 3:36 pm - December 29, 2005

3. Would you sue a theater group for putting on a play which offended you?
    I’ve seen that idea put forth, either here, or on another blog site.

Comment by hank — December 29, 2005 @ 3:37 pm - December 29, 2005

4. #52 — You manage to completely avoid answering the question while reiterating your baseless talking points. That’s some fine weaseling.

Comment by V the K — December 29, 2005 @ 4:59 pm - December 29, 2005

5. #53 — That depends. Ordinarily no, but if the play were publically funded, I might take issue with it. Because despite the whining of certain people that Christians rule the Government, works of art that attack religion can be funded by tax dollars — for example, Serrano’s Piss Christ and that portrait of the Virgin mary smeared with elephant dung — but those that promote religion can not be. That, to me, is not a just and equitable state of affairs.

Comment by V the K — December 29, 2005 @ 5:20 pm - December 29, 2005

6. That’s why I don’t miss the NEA. Or rather the ‘artists’ who chose the recipients.

I asked because of Corpus Chrisi, Terrace Macnallys’ play positing that Jesus was gay. It wildly offended some people.
    The demonstrations against it, made it a sell-out.

Comment by hank — December 29, 2005 @ 5:58 pm - December 29, 2005

7. #47

I don’t however, say “nucular”.

Well aren’t we the arrogant snob? As an English Major (what a complete waste of time), then you know what a Shibboleth or a colloquialism is, right? I’ll make it easier for you. How about regionalism?

You would also know that it is included in the Oxford Dictionary, Merriam-Webster Dictionary and the American Heritage Dictionary. Even though the mention that some consider it incorrect (i.e. arrogant pricks), they also note that it is an acceptable pronunciation. Wikipedia notes that it was also the pronunciation of former Presidents Eisenhower, Kennedy, Ford, Carter (an officer on the first Nuclear sub) and the precious lord and master BJ Clinton. So, as far as I’m concerned (and as I posted before), anybody who slams Bush for saying “nucular” has to be an arrogant prick.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — December 30, 2005 @ 3:03 am - December 30, 2005

8. #56

The demonstrations against it, made it a sell-out.

I highly doubt that. Although some douchebags who supported it might have made those claims. The same was said about The Last Temptation of Christ. Neither of these can claim to be top grossers, let alone most memorable.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — December 30, 2005 @ 3:11 am - December 30, 2005

9. #54

Now you are just resorting to name-calling, you big sissy.

Comment by Patrick (Gryph) — December 30, 2005 @ 7:57 am - December 30, 2005

10. #56 — So, what you’re saying is, for a mediocre artists, offending Christian values can be a marketable substitute for talent.

#59 — That still doesn’t answer my questions, but thanks for proving my point that when libs can’t defend their arguments anymore, they accuse the other side of name-calling. Bonus points for using actual name-calling in your “answer.”

Comment by V the K — December 30, 2005 @ 9:48 am - December 30, 2005

11. It was A Manhattan Theater Club production, which would have had a short uneventful run (the reviews were only so-so) and disappeared. Instead, once the demonstrations started, the sales picked up, to the point at which, it did indeed sell-out.
    I’m not saying anything about “mediocre artists” (although Macnally is NOT mediocre), or “offending Christian Values”. Those are your words.
    There is nothing like “banned in Boston” to help pique interest in a failing project. It might just be better to “let sleeping dogs lie”.

As I will with #57

Comment by hank — December 30, 2005 @ 1:10 pm - December 30, 2005

12. #61

It might just be better to “let sleeping dogs lie”.

As I will with #57

No surprise there. Anything else you could add would only further expose your arrogance (ignorance).

Comment by ThatGayConservative — January 1, 2006 @ 4:39 am - January 1, 2006

13. Look TGC. I’m not looking to pick a fight with you. Why don’t we simply ignore one another from now on. It’s clear that we do not agree on anything and never will.

Comment by hank — January 1, 2006 @ 8:02 am - January 1, 2006

14. Great point. I second that. 🙂 This is a terrific site and certainly will visit again!

Comment by sony notebook computers — March 29, 2006 @ 10:02 am - March 29, 2006