Gay Groups Continued Corruption By The Angry Left

Posted by Bruce Carroll at 12:29 pm - January 2, 2006.
Filed under: Gay America,Gay PC Silliness

In catching up on my blog reading since Christmas, I have been saving this excellent observation by Stephen Miller at the Independent Gay Forum (a fantastic site if you don’t already have it bookmarked!)

The Fall of PFLAG – Culture Watch @ Independent Gay Forum, December 27, 2005

Among the saddest developments for the gay community this past year may be the transformation of the group Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) from an organization that sought to create dialogue among straights and gays into a knee-jerk, Daily Kos-ite arm of the Democratic National Committee. I can remember several years back speaking to PFLAG’s then executive director at a Republican Unity Coalition event, where she was the only representative who chose to attend from any of the supposedly nonpartisan gay lobbies. But that was then. Now, under current executive leader Jody Huckaby, PFLAG deviates no more from politically correct lesbigay leftism.

< ...>

Now PFLAG is working to derail the nomination of Sam Alito, and its press statement disingenuously cites a case in which Alito ruled that a public school non-harassment policy went too far toward curtailing free speech, while ignoring another Alito ruling in favor of a harassed gay student (as I recounted most recently here).

The loss of PFLAG to the partisan left leaves us with no significant national organization that seeks to forge a broad consensus for gay equality (aside, arguably, from the religious groups like Soulforce, God bless ’em). And that’s why I think it’s the saddest gay development of the year.

When I first came out to my Mom, she attended a PFLAG event. She thought it was a good thing for her to do, but I remember her telling me that she didn’t have a lot in common with the parents at that particular meeting — who hated their kids, had kids in rehab, or had major internal issues with their son/daughter being gay.

It seems that PFLAG has become less of a support group for parents, and yet another predictible knee-jerk gay group like all the others….. Liberal Cabin “Republicans” included.

I’m glad that Stephen brought this issue to the forefront but also join in his sadness over the hijacking of a formerly positive group for our community. I’d be very anxious for any of your comments or emails about your or your family’s experiences with PFLAG.

-Bruce (GayPatriot)

1. I am a lesbian and a mother of 14 year old boy who has recently come out of the closet. Of course to support him I grabbed the little woman and off the 3 of us went to PFLAG. I expected it to be something, what i’m not sure, but something other than what it was. I was very uncomfortable while there. The person who greeted us proceeded to go on about her bisexuality in a very odd way. Then we were grabbed to sign up for this and that mailer and oddities so that they could get funding based on our appearance. Then there was a round table discussion of a gay college student not being able to organize a gay organization at his religous college. I was very dissappointed in the statements I heard from the gay and lesbian people there. It seemed to me that I bit my tonque quite a bit of the time while the transgendered & bisexual people made statements that implied at the least that gay was not normal. As for the organization at a religous college…I will spare you the rant. Why a gay male would attend a Catholic College is beyond me, but how he could be upset that they were unwilling to offer gay and lesbian support baffles my mind. Has he not read the opinions of the church nor the history books out there?

The parents however seemed gun ho on supporting their children. My son has no interest in going back. Overall the PFLAG I found was one that created no action but had a lot of mouths moving in complaints about the injustice out there. My attitude is so let’s get up and do something about it. The overwhelming attitude there was well let’s beg for our rights again. I’m sure they will listen this time. I found it appauling. I don’t like the fact that PFLAG is being used so strongly for political movement on issues other than Parental and Family issues either. However, I think that on the issues that do pertain to PFLAG there is a lack of a cohesive movement. Our rights are not a luxury. My son’s future rights are not something I am willing to bargain or beg for. We must change the future today and we have no space nor time to do any thing but demand justice. It is a matter of justice and I am anxiously awaiting the day when I find an organization that is capable of harnessing the power of the people against the tide of hate.

Comment by Jane — January 2, 2006 @ 2:05 pm - January 2, 2006

2. Rebpulicans demonize gays 24/7, they stoked homophobic fires during the 04 election in order to get George W. elected, they act as if same-sex marriage is the final straw upon the back of Western Civilization (no matter how unholy their own marriages are — Rush, Newt, etc.), they do their best to keep their own gays out of the spotlight during campaigns — Gee, wonder why PFLAG wouldn’t want to support Republicans???

Comment by Terrence — January 2, 2006 @ 3:27 pm - January 2, 2006

3. Why a gay male would attend a Catholic College is beyond me

For an education, perhaps?

If he’s Catholic, well, that’s thoroughly understandable — if you’re Catholic. And the reason is apostasy, or the fear thereof. Protestants hop churches because they don’t fear apostasy; some Catholics convert, but most lapse. And some of us eventually gain the emotional maturity to realize that the Church doesn’t exist to give us warm fuzzies.

A university doesn’t exist to provide “support groups.” How insecure and weak must one be to require “support” anyway?

Comment by rightwingprof — January 2, 2006 @ 3:29 pm - January 2, 2006

4. Although I have not personally had any experience with PFLAG it is sad to see another gay organization go to the left with its agenda. Once again, the stereotype of all gays must be liberal is reinforced by a narrow minded group of ‘leaders.’ Must all gays belong to an ‘extreme’ group of partisan lemmings? I should hope not. I am gay, proud to be and also a proud republican. What a shock to some of my liberal one track mind colleagues. Well, get over it because sites like this and others will keep the truth flowing that we are not all cut from the same piece of cloth. It is disheartening to know intelligent people are that narrow in their thinking to condemn those who support other than liberal causes.

Comment by Benj — January 2, 2006 @ 3:39 pm - January 2, 2006

5. “Rebpulicans demonize gays 24/7,”

Well, hyperbole and outright lies accomplish nothing. This very site is testimony to the fact not ALL republicans march in lockstep with each other any more than all gays should all think alike. Are there demagogues in the republican party? Sure, same as any other group who have extremists in their midst, including liberals. This happens in the best of families but to condemn ALL as being of one mindest is just wrong and frankly untrue.

Comment by Benj — January 2, 2006 @ 4:31 pm - January 2, 2006

6. Rebpulicans demonize gays 24/7, they stoked homophobic fires during the 04 election in order to get George W. elected, they act as if same-sex marriage is the final straw upon the back of Western Civilization (no matter how unholy their own marriages are — Rush, Newt, etc.), they do their best to keep their own gays out of the spotlight during campaigns — Gee, wonder why PFLAG wouldn’t want to support Republicans???

Why not? They support other homophobic bigots.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — January 2, 2006 @ 4:33 pm - January 2, 2006

7. Right – Republicans do not demonize gays 24/7, not even close; but some gays are too wrapped up in their “I’m a gay victim!!!” narcissism to notice what the world is really like.

Bruce’s post touched on IGF – I agree, it’s a great little site – and here is another article I’d recommend: http://www.indegayforum.org/authors/kirchick/kirchick7.html

It’s a propos of our debates here. Kirchik underlines the dilemma of Left-liberal gays. They want to hate Bush ever so much. But their own ideology and leaders regularly apologize for Islamo-fascists who REALLY hate gays – in a way that Bush does not, and in fact, that Bush defends and protects us from.

Comment by Calarato — January 2, 2006 @ 4:55 pm - January 2, 2006

8. On PFLAG:

I attended a bunch of meetings in the early 90s, as a gay man, because it was very helpful to be around nice straight parents who weren’t freaked out about homosexuality. It gave me hope that my parents could become less freaked out (and one of them did), and hope that the world could change (as it’s been doing these last 20 years).

Parents who were freaked out about homosexuality also came to the meetings, and helping those parents was (correctly) the group’s primary focus, so yeah, PFLAG really had the straight-gay dialog going on in those days.

Over time, say by the late 1990s, the balance seemed to shift. Gays and lesbians would be at least 50% of the attendees, and freaked-out parents needing support became few, perhaps even “far between”. Also, I didn’t name this to myself at the time, but the structured-discussion part of the meetings began to feel more and more like humorless liberal / multicultural indoctrination sessions. I will leave it to the reader to guess whether one caused the other.

By 1999 I stopped finding the meetings useful – either for myself, or for others whom I’d been hoping to help with a supportive presence – and I haven’t been to a PFLAG meeting since then. After reading Stephen Miller’s article, I probably won’t go to one this year either. C’est la vie. Things rise and fall.

Comment by Calarato — January 2, 2006 @ 5:32 pm - January 2, 2006

9. We have ways of making you Liberal! Quake before our All-Encompassing Power! Resistance is futile! Today San Francisco TOMORROW THE WORLD!!!!!

Comment by David Ehrenstein — January 2, 2006 @ 6:56 pm - January 2, 2006

10. These big organizations have a way of getting all sorts of issues stuck together, like candy left too long out in the sunshine, until it’s all a big, gooey mess. PFLAG should stick to supporting the parents and families of GLBT sons and daughters, instead of glomming onto all these other issues.

In the end, PFLAG is only hurting itself. When it sees its membership dwindle, its fearless leaders will scratch their heads in puzzlement — and then probably conclude that it was all an evil Republican plot. Anything but blame themselves.

Comment by Lori Heine — January 2, 2006 @ 7:34 pm - January 2, 2006

11. PFLAG is probably plagued by the same problems that plague a lot of organizations. Conservatives, by and large, are too busy with work, family, and church life or are simply disinclined to want to run support groups or political organizations. The left, on the other hand not only has the ambition to run such groups, but also has a worldview that compels them to tie the goals of the group to the broader leftist agenda (especially big, socialist, nanny-state government). That’s why any group that isn’t expressly conservative will tend to become a left-wing political operation over time.

Comment by V the K — January 2, 2006 @ 7:51 pm - January 2, 2006

12. As someone who has had a pretty fair amount of dealings with Left/Liberal groups like HRC et al, I can state that Log Cabin is certainly not a liberal group. It may not be as conservative as some would like but to call it liberal is much like when the Left says that the MSM has a right wing bias. I think that LCR can sometimes be described as squishy but not liberal by any stretch.

Comment by Bobo — January 3, 2006 @ 2:25 am - January 3, 2006

13. A debate this blog has had in the recent past. One may need to distinguish between local LCR and national LCR.

Comment by Calarato — January 3, 2006 @ 4:58 am - January 3, 2006

14. i am a persian gay help me a frind gay persian

Comment by morteza — January 3, 2006 @ 3:26 pm - January 3, 2006

15. #9 – I think your spaceship is calling. Time to hitch a ride with Louis Farrakhan, Cindy Sheehan and the rest of the Moonbat Brigade.

Regards,
    Peter Hughes

Comment by Peter Hughes — January 3, 2006 @ 7:07 pm - January 3, 2006

16. #3
    A university doesn’t exist to provide “support groups.” How insecure and weak must one be to require “support” anyway.

I agree that the university is not in the “support” business.
    But, to call someone “weak” for needing it, seems harsh. Perhaps not everyone is as strong as you.

Comment by hank — January 4, 2006 @ 9:31 am - January 4, 2006

17. Terrence: “Rebpulicans demonize gays 24/7, they stoked homophobic fires during the 04 election in order to get George W. elected, they act as if same-sex marriage is the final straw upon the back of Western Civilization ”

Let’s take a look at some of these claims, shall we?

First, what prominent, respected Republican has “demonized” gays in the last, oh, ten years? Hint: Robertson is no more respected on by the GOP than by the DNC.

I remember a certain presidential debate where GWB was asked if he thought gays were “born that way”–his answer–a humble “I don’t know.” This is hardly gay bashing.

But speaking of homophobic fires and the stoking whereof, which presidential candidate went out of his way multiple times to try to get the religious right to stay home rather than vote for the other guy. That’s right, John Freakin’ Kerry. He ASSUMED that the religious right is “homophobic” and he most deliberately played up to that.

Now speaking of same-sex marriage… Voters in state after state have overwhelmingly rejected this radical proposal, even in liberal Oregon, for example. Republicans are, as a group, more likely to vote against such an idea, but they’re not alone by any means. And I don’t hear you complaining about Clinton’s signing of the Defense of Marriage Act.

FWIW, I think gay marriage will be accepted someday. I also think it has been set back for a decade or so by the recent attempts of the courts to impose it.

Comment by Bostonian — January 4, 2006 @ 5:15 pm - January 4, 2006