An Apple a Day?

Posted by GayPatriotWest at 4:45 pm - January 3, 2006.
Filed under: General

For the past few days, I have had a minor cold with occasional achiness, sore throat and morning congestion. I am grateful that this one has not been as severe as past bouts or as those others have suffered this season.

As I fixed a lunch a few moments ago, I wondered if I could have done more to prevent this. You see, my typical lunch consists of a turkey sandwich and an apple. Today, when preparing this mid-day repast, I realized that I had not had an apple in well over a week. Maybe that old adage is right.

Back to eating an apple a day.

1. GPW darling, take it from a southern boy with a Mediterranean mother: herb tea. Drink a cup or two a day, and you’ll be fine.

If you have no appetite, do the green tea. Chamomile is only if you have an upset tummy. Sage is good for the heart. And so on and so forth.

Apples are okay but my family swears by the tea. It will even help lower your cholesterol.

Your Bubba bubbie,
    Peter Hughes

Comment by Peter Hughes — January 3, 2006 @ 7:02 pm - January 3, 2006

2. GP, you can get some apple tea and have that once or twice a day. my cold fixed right away when I was Ankara.

Comment by Pamela — January 3, 2006 @ 7:23 pm - January 3, 2006

3. You probably caught it up here in SF over the holidays. Lotsa folks have had your version, plus the nastier both-ends-expelling-at-once variety (not to put too fine a point on it). Glad you’re better. Apple shmapple. How about a daily shot of some germ-evaporating brandy?

Comment by EssEm — January 3, 2006 @ 9:32 pm - January 3, 2006

4. Ugh….that’s the only thing that makes me glad I WASN’T able to make it to SF over the holidays.

Peppermint schnapps.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — January 3, 2006 @ 10:04 pm - January 3, 2006

5. I don’t know what prevents a cold but I recently succeeded in getting rid of one.

Less than a week before Christmas I had a cold much like yours but also with nasal drip and an occasional cough. It was getting worse by the day and likely meant the cancellation of a trip to my sister’s for Christmas. She survived lung cancer but her lungs were so damaged that the slightest cold puts her in the hospital for weeks at a time.

I drank so much orange juice — over a half gallon a day — that my stomach felt like it was burning up. But by Christmas Eve morning when I got in the car for the drive to my sister’s there were no traces of a cold.

Comment by Jack Allen — January 4, 2006 @ 12:25 am - January 4, 2006