Don’t Mess With Texas — NATIONAL CHAMPS!

Posted by Bruce Carroll at 12:29 am - January 5, 2006.
Filed under: Sports

Congratulations to the NCAA National Football Champions Texas Longhorns!

So sorry to those over confident and typically smug California fans of the ‘over the hill’ USC Trojans. Boo, hoo, hoo!!.

Texas owns the White House and now the College Pigskin Crown. Woo hooo!

I’m gonna eat a big Texas steak (and not a frilly California avacado salad) tonight in honor of the new National Champs!

-Bruce (GayPatriot)

1. yeah, hope you don’t eat some Zebra instead, since they were playing on the same team, at least in the first quarter…..

Good game, though.

Comment by caltechgirl — January 5, 2006 @ 12:40 am - January 5, 2006

2. Had I stayed in Texas (moved away in 78 – God, I’m a gettin’ old) I would probably have been a Longhorn. Plus I love it when the underdog wins. I wonder how Boi Form Troy is taking this? Lying down, but not in a good way!

Comment by sonicfrog — January 5, 2006 @ 12:44 am - January 5, 2006

3. In Your Face, Spoiled Children!

Comment by V the K — January 5, 2006 @ 5:26 am - January 5, 2006

4. Once agin the MSM (sports media included) has shown its incompetence in reporting the news. First came the 2000 election fiasco and the premature call for Gore as the winner, followed by the reporting of hearsay and rumors of Katrina and the West Va miners and now the false predictions of an USC rout.

Congratulations to the Longhorns…. Hook ’em Horns!

Comment by republichick — January 5, 2006 @ 5:57 am - January 5, 2006

5. Congratulations to the boys of UT, my former (and most recent) non-Colorado home.

Comment by ColoradoPatriot — January 5, 2006 @ 9:16 am - January 5, 2006

6. We in flyover country have only one thing to say: Reggie who? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Comment by windybon — January 5, 2006 @ 10:45 am - January 5, 2006

7. 10 years and four days ago, I was sitting in the 80-degree weather in the Rose Bowl in Pasadena. My beloved Northwestern “Mildkittens,” just a few years removed from setting an NCAA record of futility for most consecutive losses (since broken), had won the Big Ten and was about to make its first bowl appearance since 1949. They were the subject of intense media interest, including a Sports Illustrated cover. (Anyone who knows about the SI curse knows what’s coming.)

Of course, NU lost the game … to USC. It was a decent, close game, but naturally I was still heartbroken. After the game, coach John Robinson and that jerk-store purveyance known as Keyshawn Johnson went to midfield and gave two of the most undignified, gloating and low-rent speeches I have ever heard in my life. After all the decades of humiliation my school had suffered, all the losses, all the suggestions that we leave the conference, these two men still deigned to begrudge us our one little moment in the sun by talking us down, and saying we didn’t deserve the hype.

My long shuffle down the Rose Bowl ramp and across the parking lot was made even worse, as I — resplendent in purple — faced the graceless taunts of the Spoiled Children all around me, these ignorami who had probably experienced more USC Bowl appearances than Northwestern enjoyed total victories in all of the 1980s.

I have waited 10 … long … years to get my smug retribution. TEN YEARS! And when it finally came last night, I was leaping off my sofa and shouting like a crazed teenager. A deranged and completely immature, but finally contented adult. And then I slept like a baby.

I love BFT, but I have told my Rose Bowl story directly, so this is nothing new to him.

Comment by Malcontent — January 5, 2006 @ 12:36 pm - January 5, 2006

8. I was just happy the Longhorns final few moments didn’t look anything like the WolverinesvNebraska fiasco.

Maybe BfT can be more humble in the future, we’ll ditch the Bowl Conference Series system entirely, and the national flag can be changed to maize and blue instead of RWB. Nawh.

Go |_| -at least for one more year.

Comment by Michigan-Matt — January 5, 2006 @ 12:53 pm - January 5, 2006

9. Thank God for football. It almost makes up for the U/M’s concerted attempts to make being an alum embarrassing (the Coke boycott, race-based admissions, Catherine MacKinnon).

Comment by V the K — January 5, 2006 @ 2:02 pm - January 5, 2006

10. Aren’t avocados way too high in fat and cholesterol to be chic with the tofu-eating Californians? Try steak and guacamole — a great combination, and just as easily Texan.

Comment by rightwingprof — January 5, 2006 @ 2:08 pm - January 5, 2006

11. I’m surprised you guys didn’t hear me holler all the way from Houston…

This is one for the good guys! Let’s hear it for Mack Brown, down-home smash-mouth football, a solid red state and a team full of talent and dreams.

HOOK ‘EM HORNS!!!

Regards,
    Peter Hughes
    UT BA 1990

Comment by Peter Hughes — January 5, 2006 @ 8:58 pm - January 5, 2006

12. I just saw BoiFromTroi’s website…oh, the crow he must be eating…don’t cry for me, Pasadena….

To see the entire 2005-06 season, click here:

Hook ’em,
    Peter Hughes

Comment by Peter Hughes — January 5, 2006 @ 9:06 pm - January 5, 2006

13. Well said Bruce, you are not the only one who had a big steak. Mine was aged, huge, and perfect along with all my other republican friends here in Palm Beach. Hook em Horns !!!!!

Comment by Maurice Bonamigo — January 5, 2006 @ 10:08 pm - January 5, 2006

14. GIG ‘EM!!!

HULLABALLOO CANECK CANECK!!!!

Comment by ThatGayConservative — January 6, 2006 @ 2:20 am - January 6, 2006

15. #14 – A&M is like Nazi Germany…neither has won anything of consequence since 1938…

Hook ’em,
    Peter Hughes

Comment by Peter Hughes — January 6, 2006 @ 1:15 pm - January 6, 2006

16. God made man and then rested. God made women and then no one rested.

Comment by communion supplies — March 16, 2006 @ 5:49 am - March 16, 2006

17. I read the Blog Nice site I found and I bookmarked the site… Plan on coming back later to spend a little time there.

Comment by breast enhancement — October 6, 2006 @ 7:30 am - October 6, 2006