If A Movie Airs In Only Blue States… Does It Make A Noise?

Posted by Bruce Carroll at 12:57 pm - January 6, 2006.
Filed under: Gay America

I just received an email from GP Reader Dan @ Until Today (no relation to GPW Dan!) regarding the lack of wide distribution for Brokeback Mountain. In fact, his blog posting — Release Brokeback Mountain! — is a pseudo-petition calling on wider release.

While I completely support Dan’s effort and encourage fellow GP readers to add their name to the “Brokeback-less List”, I have to say that here in the Bible Belt (Charlotte, NC) Brokeback is showing this weekend; albeit only in one theatre citywide from what I can tell.

My guess is the movie will be in the arts/gay movie houses where Jeffery and The Crying Game first showed up. So for you Philly folks, it will be the Ritz theaters in Center City.

Although upon further exploration of my old Chester County, PA haunts, I note that this theater is in the heart of one of the Reddest parts of Pennsylvania (or used to be one of the Reddest!).

Regal Downingtown 16
1:10, 4:10, 7:20, 10:30
100 Quarry Road
Downingtown, PA

But I am sure there are places, like Charlotte, where you are really going to have to hunt for the ‘Mountain’. So let’s go help Dan @ Until Today get the movie out to all of America!

[Related Story — The Charlotte Observer’s film critic gives Brokeback Mountain four stars. By the way, PatriotMom saw it yesterday and gives it her four-kleenex rating!

-Bruce (GayPatriot)

1. It’s opening today in Fresno, which is part of the fairly conservative Central Valley, an island of sanity in the otherwise senselessly liberal state of Kaleefornia

Comment by sonicfrog — January 6, 2006 @ 2:05 pm - January 6, 2006

2. It opened last week in Columbus (Ohio) and is now playing at three theaters on four screens. The girlfriend and are going tonight and, when I bought the tickets this afternoon, several screenings were already sold out! I don’t know if we’re really the Bible Belt, but, well, it is Ohio. 🙂

Comment by Mary — January 6, 2006 @ 3:05 pm - January 6, 2006

3. It’s here on several screens and is the subject of three community-based fundraising parties this weekend, two parties last weekend. And these are BIG parties. For our blue world, it’s all about taking an emotional flick and making some ancillary bucks as fast as the gay community activists can count the bills.

I love fads. Give me back the grunge look, please.

Comment by Michigan-Matt — January 6, 2006 @ 5:04 pm - January 6, 2006

4. Just wanted to comment on the movie, Brokeback Mountain. I know Bruce told you that I saw it yesterday. I was not expecting to be so dramatic, with such majestic scenery, and so sad.
    Although I do not agree that either man is better than the other, they are both absolutely terrific.
    It has finally come to a theater near me, but I had to go far and wide the other day to see it, and it was well worth it.

Comment by PatriotMom — January 6, 2006 @ 6:50 pm - January 6, 2006

5. We’ve never seen so many white straw stetsons worn wrong on so many men in Ann Arbor in our two collective lives.

White STRAW Stetsons? (slaps forehead)

Tell those queens that straw hats follow the same rule as their white handbags and shoes; not after Labor Day, and not before Easter.

I think this may still be a felony offense in Texas.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — January 9, 2006 @ 11:39 am - January 9, 2006

6. I am glad to find your site- now I know what a good one looks like.

Comment by All Event Seats Theater Tickets — January 26, 2006 @ 8:03 pm - January 26, 2006