Interstellar Travel — not just Science Fiction?

Posted by GayPatriotWest at 2:09 am - January 6, 2006.
Filed under: General

Although I’m a huge fan of Star Wars, I had long assumed that it would never be possible for man to travel to another solar system. That hyperdrives and warp speed were just things from science fiction. In a few years, they may well be science fact. Our pal Charging Rhino reports on a military hyperdrive program which may allow us to travel “to a star 11 light years away in just 80 days.” This is pretty cool. Check it out!

1. And, on that note, I’ve devoted my blog to Battlestar Galactica today because the new season resumes tonight (and because Crew Chief Tyrol rocks my world.) (Helo’s no scrub either.)

Comment by V the K — January 6, 2006 @ 10:49 am - January 6, 2006

2. I love science fact and science fiction. I read Scientific American regularly. As much as I’d like to see interstellar travel in my life time I’m very skeptical about this proposed hyperdrive. The linked articles fail to mention any specific scientific facts – like the amount of energy needed to create a magnetic field that would warp space into a different dimension. Unless a space craft can carry with it about a thousand Chernoble like reactors it’s just not going to happen. And that’s just the tip of the problematic ice burg!

Comment by Dave — January 6, 2006 @ 11:46 am - January 6, 2006

3. I’ve got my BSG platitudes posted at my blog… and even link to V the K’ “Special” homage to the show.

Comment by sonicfrog — January 6, 2006 @ 12:47 pm - January 6, 2006

4. “… and because Crew Chief Tyrol rocks my world…”

V???? I thought you were straight 🙂

Comment by sonicfrog — January 6, 2006 @ 12:49 pm - January 6, 2006

5. This is the same military that once proposed a “gay bomb”, as a chemical weapon, so don’t get your hopes up.

Comment by Patrick (Gryph) — January 6, 2006 @ 12:51 pm - January 6, 2006

6. Oh great!… that probably means there are Vulcans disguised as humans all around me in preparation for “first contact”.

*watching my back*

Comment by GayPatriot — January 6, 2006 @ 1:04 pm - January 6, 2006

7. Instead of spending all this money and energy trying to “look out” into space, I would hope that more practical minds ( I know they are doing this) are looking “in”. Quantum Physics. It’ll be expensive sure, but at this point in time it’s more realistic than sending a manned spaceship anywhere.
    Who knows what we’ll find inder the quarks and flavors?
    Maybe that’s where space and time meet and bend.

God is in the details.

Great article in The New York Times a few weeks ago.
    Einstein said that “any scientist not working in Quantum, was missing the boat (a mis-quote) but close.
    He called it “spooky”. It is (ooh)

Anybody interested in an easier read should look at
    “The Tao of Physics”.

Comment by hank — January 6, 2006 @ 7:38 pm - January 6, 2006

8. OK. BSG was totally not a disappointment.

Nothing actually happened. But nothing happened in a really, really intense way.

Comment by V the K — January 6, 2006 @ 11:28 pm - January 6, 2006