Senator Kennedy’s Harangue

If I didn’t have papers due on Thursday for my graduate program, I might sit here at the computer all day while watching the Alito hearings live on TV and “live-blog” my thoughts. As I was beginning the day, I had the misfortune to flip on the news while Senator Kennedy was haranguing the president’s nominee for the Supreme Court. Whenever the Senator twisted his angry words into a question and paused to catch a breath long enough to give Judge Alito a chance to respond, that good started to reply, offering an encyclopedic knowledge of relevant case law as he clarified the facts of the case which the Massachusetts Senator had distorted.

Before Alito could complete his remarks, however, this doddering Democrat would start up again. It doesn’t seem that he’s as interested in learning Alito’s opinions as he is in posturing for the press and his liberal base. That said, Ed Whelan (at National Review Online’s Bench Memos) thinks Alito is “easily” handling some of Kennedy’s questions.

I’m not quite sure who Senator Kennedy thinks his audience is. Maybe he’s trying to relive the glory days of the Bork hearings when he smeared that sage jurist before even meeting him and asking for clarification of his past statements and judicial opinions. Maybe he thinks his words would find resonance with the American people today as they did then.

Then, as now, Kennedy prefers left-wing slogans to actual facts. Today, he misrepresented Judge Alito’s record and distorted President Bush’s as well, claiming that the president circumvented Congress to sanction torture. That notion comes from left-wing web-sites and others afflicted with Bush Derangement Syndrome since every bi-partisan study (including the Independent Panel to Review DOD Detention Operations AKA the Schlesinger Commission) has cleared the Administration of authorizing torture.

In the end, Senator Kennedy’s harangue is just another example of a liberal not letting facts get in the way of his attacks on a conservative. So, I guess I won’t miss all that much in missing the hearings to write about how the West African trickster god Legba became crippled in Haitian Vodoun.

INTERESTING UPDATE: Conservative blogress diva nominee Tammy Bruce informs us that I picked the right day to work on a paper about a Vodoun deity as it’s Voodoo Day in Benin.

1. Note that the first question the Democrats asked Alito concerned protecting the rights of terrorists. That tells you everything about where the Democrats heads are.

Comment by V the K — January 10, 2006 @ 1:21 pm - January 10, 2006

2. The Corner notes that Joe Biden lectured Judge Alito for 15’22” before asking him a question, interrupted Alito less than a minute to his answer, and went on to speak for another 10+ minutes.

Comment by V the K — January 10, 2006 @ 1:36 pm - January 10, 2006

3. Mention of Kennedy or Biden should be banished from these pages. It’s like shooting fish in a barrel. All too easy.

Comment by Patrick (Gryph) — January 10, 2006 @ 1:52 pm - January 10, 2006

4. Would NDT give me a stern lecture on name-calling if I called Joe Biden a pompous windbag?

Would you hear a word of it even if I did? 😉

Knock yourself out on this one, V the K; this is the first campaign appearance of the 2006 election cycle, and those who pander to the moonbat left need to be called on it.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — January 10, 2006 @ 2:27 pm - January 10, 2006

5. Well, with all that hot air coming out of the Alito hearings, Vera and her trusted companion/common-law house boy Ito, just had to get out of the house for some wholesome – family entertainment at the local Cineplex.

Damn, if that Chocolate Factory thing wasn’t long gone (I love watching naughty children get their comeuppance) so I politely asked the senior working grandmamma (read: vicious old bitch with an attitude) for two tickets to that “sweet gay love story with those hunky straight actors playing gay for the academy!”. That’s another thing I love about Hollywood: It’s noble to be “poor or gay or dumb or violent or republican” so long as it’s only pretend. They can deal with “fake gay cowboys” but don’t bring around any real gay actors or they get nervous. Same goes for serial killers.

Anyway, 20 minutes into the movie and I knew something was wrong. The musical numbers were fine, the dancing superb, but when the hell were we heading up that damn mountain? By the time Uma Thurman showed up, causing Nathan Lane to suddenly go straight, I suspected that old bitch in the booth had set us up. When the Nazi’s arrived, I was sure. As Matthew Broderick is easy on these old eyes, and the twizlers licorice was softer and gooier than Jake Gyllenhaal’s wet lips, we decided to stay and see if Nathan Lane would apologize for Bette Midler doing Jacqueline Suzanne as a drag queen a few years back.. He didn’t. Don’t remember how it all ends, but someone suggested making a movie version of Fiddler on the Roof, starring Nathan Lane and Rosie O’Donnell but I’d much prefer Heath and Jake in a gay version of “The Producers”.

Wait, I think that’s redundant.

Oh, well.

Cheers!

Comment by Vera Charles — January 10, 2006 @ 3:47 pm - January 10, 2006

6. Yes, Patrick in #3, it is. You should just add Schumer to your list.

Comment by GayPatriotWest — January 10, 2006 @ 3:52 pm - January 10, 2006

7. Kennedy’s a clown. I ignore him.

Comment by rightwingprof — January 10, 2006 @ 4:51 pm - January 10, 2006

8. This is shooting fish in a barrel.

Comment by rightwingprof — January 10, 2006 @ 5:42 pm - January 10, 2006

9. I don’t think Kennedy gives much thought to anything he says these days. Case in point: during John Kerry’s unsuccessful (unless you’re a Diebold/blackbox leftist of course) presidential campaign, Ted Kennedy in January 2004 said, “When John Kerry turned that boat back and hauled Jim Rassmann out of the water, risking his own life, what he has said: We leave no one behind. He didn’t leave Jim Rassmann behind.”

Yes, Kerry turned that swift boat around and went back to rescue someone who might otherwise have drowned, because John Kerry would never leave someone in the water, because he’s a good man, and good men don’t leave people in the water where they might drown, right Senator Kennedy?

Too bad for Mary Jo Kopechne that Senator Kennedy hasn’t always felt that way about not leaving people behind in the water.

Comment by Conservative Guy — January 10, 2006 @ 8:36 pm - January 10, 2006

10. Hello , you missed the most important comment made today by Joe Biden at the hearing. DNC presidentially hopefullly Biden said the following ” I was worried my son was Gay ” !!
    Calling all Gay Lefties keep on sending those checks to the DNC even though the Dem politicians worry one of there own may be GAY !!!
    Can you say SUCKERS !!

Comment by rob — January 10, 2006 @ 8:42 pm - January 10, 2006

11. Is it me, or are the KOSsacks running this hearing?

Comment by ThatGayConservative — January 10, 2006 @ 9:11 pm - January 10, 2006

12. Rumor has it that Teddy “Where’s My Pants” Kennedy is writing a children’s book based upon his dog. Not only is he co-opting Barbara Bush’s ideas, but he’s also finally addressing his base – you know, the ones that act like children?

I still double over laughing knowing that his dog’s name is “Splash.” Insert Chappaquiddick joke here.

Regards,
    Peter Hughes

Comment by Peter Hughes — January 10, 2006 @ 11:45 pm - January 10, 2006

13. You can tell when things are going the Prez or Republicans way by tuning in the first few minutes of Hardball. If Matthews looks PO’d or like somebody ran over his dog, it’s been a good day for the good guys and America. Hey saw J Biden on hardboiled tonight and “his smugness” was lamenting how these hearings are so pointless. The nominee doesnt say anything that will get him in trouble so they are so vanilla and unhelpful.
    Duhhh why’s that? Is it maybe because the libs for years have been hanging 10,20 or 30 yr old statements or comments around people necks? Biden and company complain about how nominees arent as forthcoming as they should be. We’re truely through the looking glass here. And Teddy…every time he opens his mouth I just recite “…in response, Mary Jo Kopeckne was unavailable for comment”.

Comment by Gene — January 11, 2006 @ 1:03 am - January 11, 2006

14. This was supposed to post earlier:

I just listened to Biden “ask” Alito questions. I now know that Biden’s son went to U of Penn, Biden went to U of Delaware, had heard of the CAP, and really, really likes to talk. Alito never got the chance to answer the questions because Biden was too busy talking about himself.

Comment by sonicfrog — January 11, 2006 @ 1:23 am - January 11, 2006

15. “Kennedy’s harangue is just another example of a liberal not letting facts get in the way of his attacks on a conservative”

I am uncomfortable with the direction GP’s post (and the comments from readers) is going.
    It shouldn’t make any difference if Alito is Con or Lib, if he is pro-Gay or anti-gay. What should matter is if he can put aside whatever personal opinions he may have and be a judge that can read the law and give a ruling consistent with the constitution.

Senators are of course free to be partisan, and they should strongly express whatever political views they think are in the best interests of the state they represent. But when it comes to the court, I want Judges who can be a fair umpire of the law.

IMHO Judge Alito has a history of doing just that. I’m not sure that ‘conservative’ equals ‘strict constructionist’. There seem to have been just as many activist judges with a right bias as there have been lefties.

p.s. comment #5 was a hoot!

Comment by Jim in St Louis — January 11, 2006 @ 4:07 am - January 11, 2006

16. I almost feel sorry for the Dhimmicrats after watching the hearings for two days now. Sad. Very sad.

Comment by rightwingprof — January 11, 2006 @ 4:20 pm - January 11, 2006

17. After the way Kennedy acted yesterday, including making Mrs. Alito cry, if Kennedy had a shred of decency, an ounce of humanity, or anything remotely resembling a soul he would feel like a complete shitheel today. But Ted Kennedy is a complete sociopath totally devoid of the capacity for shame or empathy.

Comment by V the K — January 12, 2006 @ 6:50 am - January 12, 2006