An Appeal from Center-Right Bloggers

Posted by Bruce Carroll at 2:41 pm - January 13, 2006.
Filed under: National Politics

I am proud to add this blog to the list of the undersigned…. and I personally hope Rep. Shadegg prevails in the Majority Leader race.

**********

An Appeal from Center-Right Bloggers

We are bloggers with boatloads of opinions, and none of us come close to agreeing with any other one of us all of the time. But we do agree on this: The new leadership in the House of Representatives needs to be thoroughly and transparently free of the taint of the Jack Abramoff scandals, and beyond that, of undue influence of K Street.

We are not naive about lobbying, and we know it can and has in fact advanced crucial issues and has often served to inform rather than simply influence Members.

But we are certain that the public is disgusted with excess and with privilege. We hope the Hastert-Dreier effort leads to sweeping reforms including the end of subsidized travel and other obvious influence operations. Just as importantly, we call for major changes to increase openness, transparency and accountability in Congressional operations and in the appropriations process.

As for the Republican leadership elections, we hope to see more candidates who will support these goals, and we therefore welcome the entry of Congressman John Shadegg to the race for Majority Leader. We hope every Congressman who is committed to ethical and transparent conduct supports a reform agenda and a reform candidate. And we hope all would-be members of the leadership make themselves available to new media to answer questions now and on a regular basis in the future.

Signed,

Jon Henke / McQ / Dale Franks, QandO
James Joyner, Outside The Beltway
Mike Krempasky, Redstate.org
Michelle Malkin, MichelleMalkin.com
Ed Morrissey, Captain’s Quarters
Scott Ott, Scrappleface
John Donovan / Bill Tuttle, Castle Argghhh!!!
Bruce Carroll, GayPatriot

UPDATE (from GPW): Today, Sunday, January 15, 2006, Instapundit writes, “The Republicans need to get in touch with that spirit [of 1994], if they want to remain in power.” I agree.

1. "An Appeal from Center-Right Bloggers"

What follows is a joint statement from a number of bloggers on the forthcoming House leadership election: We are bloggers with boatloads of opinions, and none of us come close to agreeing with any other one of us all of the time. But we do agree on thi…

Trackback by protein wisdom — January 13, 2006 @ 4:09 pm - January 13, 2006

2. Right on, GP. I applaud you and Michelle Malkin’s efforts to not only have a groundswell effort to have a House majority leader who represents our opinions, but also to have a dynamic leader who will help us rein in the Kennedys, Schumers and Clintons of the world.

Regards,
    Peter Hughes

Comment by Peter Hughes — January 13, 2006 @ 8:04 pm - January 13, 2006

3. I’ll also post this on my blog, though no one ever reads it (boo, hoo).

Comment by sonicfrog — January 13, 2006 @ 8:42 pm - January 13, 2006

4. Peter, it’s the Senate Majority Leader’s job to rein in senators. DeLay usually didn’t try to tangle with Hillary or Schumer, and his permanent replacement probably wouldn’t either.

If I may ask:

How did Shadegg vote on the Federal Marriage Amendment? And on the attempt to ban gay adoption in DC? Has he ever cast a vote which was moderate on a gay rights issue?

GP, what do you think of the possible attempts to remove the moderate Deborah Pryce as Conference Chairwoman? She voted against the Federal Marriage Amendment in 2004.

Comment by Carl — January 13, 2006 @ 10:42 pm - January 13, 2006

5. Your right, Carl. I just sorta got caught up in the moment. Let me rephrase my last part:

..but also to have a dynamic leader who will help us rein in the Pelosis, Waxmans and Jackson-Lees of the world.

I regret the error.

Regards,
    Peter Hughes

Comment by Peter Hughes — January 14, 2006 @ 11:14 am - January 14, 2006

6. I agree with your appeal entirely. I only comment that the other bloggers omit the gay patriot when listing the signers. I guess homophobia abounds with these other bloggers.

Comment by Gary Welsh — January 14, 2006 @ 11:18 am - January 14, 2006

7. I hadn’t noticed that, Gary, but for some reason I’m not exactly surprised.

Comment by Carl — January 14, 2006 @ 8:55 pm - January 14, 2006

8. damn! as a gay christian your twisting in the wind is making me believe in karma

Comment by arthur — January 14, 2006 @ 9:58 pm - January 14, 2006

9. Acting Majority Leader Blount of Missouri appears to have the votes wrapped up to be elected Majority Leader — at least he says he does.

Based on his family’s record in Missouri, I doubt that he will make many changes in the House. Which is likely the reason a majority of the House Republicans are committed to him.

It will be a secret ballot so there is still hope.

Comment by Jack Allen — January 16, 2006 @ 12:00 am - January 16, 2006

10. Isn’t his son Matt working to ban gay adoption or foster care in Missouri?

Blunt has not been that great of a majority leader. Legislation passes by razor-thin margins now, which did not happen when DeLay was leader.

Comment by Carl — January 16, 2006 @ 1:13 am - January 16, 2006