The Left Today: Slow to Believe Charges Against America’s Enemies — Quick to Believe Those Against America and her Defenders?

Posted by GayPatriotWest at 1:03 am - January 16, 2006.
Filed under: Bush-hatred,Liberals

One of the great things about driving in LA on Saturdays from 4 to 7PM is that you can to hear Tammy Bruce (on Talk Radio 790 KABC-AM), quite possibly the best female talk show host on the West Coast, if not the nation. This past Saturday after attending a Bar Mitzvah in the O.C. with my pal, capitalist tart Bridget Johnson (AKA GOP Vixen), I had to dash back to LA for an event of my college alumni association. Heading north on the 405, I tuned into Tammy.

And that blogress diva was on a roll. A caller named Marcus phoned in to take issue with her criticism of Iran. When Tammy pointed out just one example of the brutality of that regime — that they punished a woman who defended herself against a man who tried to rape her — Marcus demanded proof of her claim and he wondered if the news organization Tammy referenced was accurately reporting things in the Islamic Republic.

As this guy seemed dubious about the claims of misogyny in a nation whose leaders routinely seethe with hatred against the United States, our allies and Western civilization, I wondered if this man were less skeptical of less substantiated claims against the United States in general and the Bush Administration in particular. Was he one of those who jumped to the conclusion that because a few rogue guards tortured prisoners on one night at Abu Ghraib Prison that the Bush Administration was behind their efforts and sanctioned torture? Recall as well how Newsweek rushed to report the story of Americans flushing Korans down the toilet, a story that that magazine later retracted.

In her book, Unhinged: Exposing Liberals Gone Wild, Michelle Malkin, another blogress diva, describes American journalists as “predisposed to believe any criticism of our troops, no matter how unsubstantiated or ill-informed.” (p. 92).

Now, I don’t know if this Marcus who called into Tammy’s show was one of those credulous liberals who take as fact any negative allegations made against President Bush and the GOP (no matter how disreputable the source), but it struck me how this man was so skeptical of claims made against an enemy of the United States. And how so many liberals are so eager to believe any criticism of not just President Bush and his party, but also of our nation itself and the brave soldiers who defend it.

-Dan (AKA GayPatriotWest): GayPatriotWest@aol.com

1. If it ain’t printed on the front page of The DNC Times 35 days in a row, it didn’t happen.

-That’s how the liberals “support” the troops.

-They call what they’re doing a “guagmire” over and over.

-They compare it to Vietnam every chance they get.

-When the troops say they don’t want to be wrapped up in body armor to the point they can’t move, the liberals begin their wailing and gnashing of teeth for more.

-The libs can instantly give you an exact number of U.S. soldiers killed, but haven’t the foggiest idea of how many of the enemy have been captured or killed.

-They support the troops by comparing them to Pol Pot (which they helped create) their buddy “Uncle Joe” Stalin, or compare them to Joe Kennedy’s buddy Adolf Hitler.

-Voting for the $87 billion before they vote against it.

Shall I go on?

They’re hell bent on reliving their “glory days” of Vitnam. These are the same folks, who are jealous of Monica, who want Bush impeached so bad that they don’t give a damn what its for. These are the folks who want an investigation into every time Bush visits the head and if three investigations don’t get it, surely another one will. They’re so damn worried about spending, but they have no problem with endless investigations.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — January 16, 2006 @ 1:35 am - January 16, 2006

2. Dan – That’s just it. To the far lefties – including Kerry, Pelosi, Ted Kennedy, Michael Moore, Jimmy Carter – America is always wrong. “Blame America first.”

America’s sin? (1) Being good. (2) Being successful. Gotta tear it down (in their mentality), so that those who aren’t good or successful (including both themselves personally, and other whole countries such as Germany or France) can then feel “equal” and “safe”.

Comment by Calarato — January 16, 2006 @ 2:26 am - January 16, 2006

3. Certain elements on the American left believe the United States is the most evil nation on earth and they try to deny, hide or distort anything that makes America’s enemies look bad.

The leftist Americablog, for example, practically called it a lie that Iran was executing young gay men, but Aravosis et al compare President Bush and our great ally, Tony Blair, to Hitler and Stalin.

Comment by Jack Allen — January 16, 2006 @ 2:38 am - January 16, 2006

4. I suppose there are neo-Marxist and ultra-Leftists who have nothing but contempt for the American experiment.

I also know of theocrats and uber-Religious-Reich wingnuts who have the same contempt, only they claim absurdly that America is a Christian nation, and that the 318 biblical codes of the Old Testament need “restoration.” Of course, America has never been a “Christian” nation, and only raving lunatics like Pat Robertson, Lou Sheldon, James Dobson, et alia have personal communiques from the Almighty regarding the “restoration” of God’s country.

Personally, I think both groups are lunatics. Both types of religion are anathema to the American experience of “liberal neutrality.” The REAL American experience is FREEDOM to pursue one’s own agenda without imposing it on others, or others imposing it on us. Both extremes fail to understand this fundamental aspect of Jefferson and Madison and most of the other Framers.

Both extremes scare me. Maybe the neo-Marxist ultra-Left less so than the theocratic uber-Biblicalists. But both fanatics deserve each other, and hopefully cancel each other.

We’ve now seen what the latter has in mind, though. GWB knows NO limits to his supremacy. He deceives, denies, and then cavorts. And all because he aberrantly thinks gawd has chosen him to be THE steward. It’s as close as America has come to fascism, and thankfully more than 60% of Americans have said, “ENOUGH.”

NO ONE is above or below the LAW, even one who thinks he’s gawd’s annointed. The REAL shame is that the opposition party doesn’t know its own mind, let alone that of fellow Americans, in order to quell this nonsense before more people’s lives are destroyed. At least when Republicans were the opposition, they HAD principles. Now that they’re in total power, their corruption knows no limits.

Comment by Stephen — January 16, 2006 @ 3:04 am - January 16, 2006

5. Um, Stephen, it would be nice, if you could address the question I raised in this post–and add some facts to question my observations or support the points raised in your rant.

Comment by GayPatriotWest — January 16, 2006 @ 3:51 am - January 16, 2006

6. I think Stephen makes your point quite well. There is nothing evil in this world but Bush. Nothing Iran does can be so bad as to be worth talking about. Only Bush. Only an American can be this dark and dangerous.

I despise the Religious Right as well. I always have but I still feel no real fear from them. They shot their wad in ’92 and the Republicans will never go their route again. America taught them a valuable lesson. A lesson the Dems will learn as well, someday. The average American will not instigate public hanging of gays, even if they are fundamentalists. A few freaks will want it but no mass movement will ever produce that. We’ve come a long way. Any attempt to claim the Religious Right mirrors the violence and bigotry of the average Muslim policy is just nihilism attempting to change the subject.

The Left defended the Soviets and they’ll defend terrorists. It will never change. It makes their current state of impotence that much more satisfying. I never thought Communism could actually disappear but it has for the most part. Perhaps Progressivism (sissy communism) will too.

Talking about our enemies’ sins just confuses the real issue – America must change. America is unacceptable as is.

Comment by VinceTN — January 16, 2006 @ 8:46 am - January 16, 2006

7. They call what they’re doing a “guagmire” over and over.

Quagmire! Giggidy! Giggidy!

Comment by V the K — January 16, 2006 @ 9:17 am - January 16, 2006

8. One thing about the WOT is that before 9-11, the situation of women in Afghanistan was a feminist cause. I remember several 20/20 type reports on the plight of women, and the discrimination.

9-11 happened, it was like the whole cause was dropped like a hot potato. You don’t see feminists get up and praise Bush or the administration for how things have changed in Afganistan, and if they do, it comes with such a huge “But” attached, that it doesn’t really amount to much praise for what has happened.

I think half the problem for the extreme left is they are so blinded by a hatred of Bush that they refuse to see anything good, and sometimes have the impression they are rooting for the other side.

Comment by Just Me — January 16, 2006 @ 10:10 am - January 16, 2006

9. #8 — Much in the same way that date rape and sexual harassment were no longer any big deal once they happened to Juanita Broaddrick and Paula Jones.

Comment by V the K — January 16, 2006 @ 11:08 am - January 16, 2006

10. I’m on the left, here is what I believed before Iraq, I believed Iraq wasn’t a threat. And we’ve seen that, Iraq is only a threat now because we’re there and what we’ve done there.

I believe Iran is a threat. I also believe one of the other causes for going to Iraq(“To scare Iran”) wasn’t going to work and it obviously hasn’t. Iran is a threat, Iraq is because we chose to make it so.

#8, you can say that for the right, anything done by previous politicians on the left or even current ones have such a huge BUT and an IF attached if they say anything at all!

Comment by Joey — January 16, 2006 @ 11:24 am - January 16, 2006

11. One thing about the WOT is that before 9-11, the situation of women in Afghanistan was a feminist cause. I remember several 20/20 type reports on the plight of women, and the discrimination.

9-11 happened, it was like the whole cause was dropped like a hot potato. You don’t see feminists get up and praise Bush or the administration for how things have changed in Afghanistan, and if they do, it comes with such a huge “But” attached, that it doesn’t really amount to much praise for what has happened.

The other side of that however is that prior to 9-11 Bush didn’t give a dumbfuck in a donut hole about women in Afghanistan either. Aside from some vague muttering when the Taliban blew up the Buddhas his post-9-11 “Axis of Evil” speech was the first time he ever mentioned women in Afghanistan. His Administration was and still is primarily concerned with cutting off funds to any overseas NGO that might discuss the topic of abortion or even condoms. There is plenty of hypocrisy to go around I think. And women in Iraq, thanks to the Islamic nuttiness that was permitted to flourish in the wake of the fall of Baghdad, are now in practical terms much less “free” than they were before.

Comment by Patrick (Gryph) — January 16, 2006 @ 1:09 pm - January 16, 2006

12. Dang, Patrick. Great point you started to make there about Bush’s latency in fighting for liberty. To be sure, I think many people (myself included) didn’t really become such advocates for defense of democracy the world over until we saw how a lack of it can negatively impact us here at home.

It’s a shame that those on the Left who supposedly have lived their lives fighting for liberty and civil rights around the world are so filled with hatred for Bush they can’t bring themselves to support him when he (and the rest of us, frankly) “come around”.

Makes me wonder: While we were “coming around”, where were you headed? Oh yes: around the bend. To wit:

“His Administration was and still is primarily concerned with cutting off funds to any overseas NGO that might discuss the topic of abortion or even condoms.” (My emphasis)

Please tell me you’re kidding.

Comment by ColoradoPatriot — January 16, 2006 @ 2:20 pm - January 16, 2006

13. One of those anecdotal but, I think, illuminating experiences: In the company of liberals –by whom I am utterly surrounded– any critique of America, Americans, American culture, etc, will never be met with angry and offended responses. Say that we are racist, arrogant, materialist, stupid, self-centered, etc. and no one will challenge you. Say that America is better at A than is country B or culture C and you will be immediately confronted, if not attacked. Tells me most of what I need to know.

Comment by EssEm — January 16, 2006 @ 6:02 pm - January 16, 2006

14. “Any attempt to claim the Religious Right mirrors the violence and bigotry of the average Muslim…is just nihilism attempting to change the subject.”

VinceTN, so true! Quote of the week, for me.

Comment by Calarato — January 16, 2006 @ 6:49 pm - January 16, 2006

15. Sorry, “average Muslim policy”. (I thought ‘policy’ was a misplaced word but I now see what you are getting at, which was even better.)

Comment by Calarato — January 16, 2006 @ 6:52 pm - January 16, 2006

16. #12 – Gryph doesn’t kid here, CP. Take it that he fully intended the wackiness you pointed out.

#13 – Another great point. My experience matches. When I was a liberal (which was years and years – over 15), NOTHING of the bitter, idiotic things I routinely said against America was EVER challenged in the slightest by a fellow liberal, whether privately or publicly. I would ALWAYS get a little smile of approval and joy, no matter how far out I was.

Comment by Calarato — January 16, 2006 @ 6:59 pm - January 16, 2006

17. Glad to see the right now believes in liberties and freedom? So, Bush just announced we’re going to war with Africa? No? What do you mean? Oh, I see…. You don’t, you’re just using that as an argument. Great. Wow. Good idea!

Comment by Joey — January 16, 2006 @ 7:51 pm - January 16, 2006

18. I found Just Me’s comment in #8 about women in Afghanistan quite interesting.

For years, for example, Mavis Leno — with frequent on-air boosts from her husband Jay Leno — was a prominent activist for women’s rights in Afghanistan. Since the American-led coalition defeated the Taliban and insisted that women be allowed to attend colleges and play prominent roles in government, etc., I’ve heard little about Mrs. Leno’s advocacy. And her husband almost nightly inserts DNC talking points into his monologue and demeans President Bush as a blundering, incompetent (perhaps even drug-dazed) boob.

Comment by Jack Allen — January 17, 2006 @ 12:55 am - January 17, 2006

19. #7

I was afraid of that.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — January 17, 2006 @ 1:37 am - January 17, 2006

20. #10

I believed Iraq wasn’t a threat.

So you didn’t believe there was a need for the Iraqi Liberation Act of 1998? You didn’t believe the warnings of Bill & Hillary, Ted Kennedy, John Kerry, Rockefeller, Graham, Albright, Berger, Boxer, Byrd, Clarke, Chirac, Cohen, Daschle, Edwards, etc. etc. etc.?

Or did you decide, like the others, that once a Republican was actually going to do something about Iraq the point when you decided that “Iraq wasn’t a threat”?

Comment by ThatGayConservative — January 17, 2006 @ 1:42 am - January 17, 2006

21. #17 – ??? Joey, you need to try harder to make sense.

Comment by Calarato — January 17, 2006 @ 2:41 am - January 17, 2006

22. You say Iran is a threat now. So do many liberals. How long, though, before the liberals swear that Iran was never a threat.

My guess? As soon as a conservative in office decides to actually do something about Iraq.

I remember back when Bush did his axis of evil speech, how all the liberals were just shocked, shocked that Bush included N. Korea in the axis, then Iraq came around and we realized N. Korea had nukes-all the sudden all the liberals that thought Bush was insane for even mentioning N. Korea as a threat immediately bumped N. Korea up to the top of the evil list.

Liberals are rather schitzophrenic, when it comes to figuring out who the threats are, but they are pretty consistent in their belief that “talks” are the only means to deal with any of them-unless of course a democrat is in office, and then the only means available is planes and bombs from 10,000.

Comment by Just Me — January 17, 2006 @ 7:10 am - January 17, 2006