Understanding Bush-Hatred While Driving in LA?

Posted by GayPatriotWest at 8:09 pm - January 20, 2006.
Filed under: Bush-hatred,LA Stories

I don’t like to blog when I’m in a bad mood for I fear that once I start venting in this public forum, it will put me on a slippery slope to projecting my own inner demons — or daily frustrations — onto the world. And while my life is, on the whole good, since last evening, it seems that so many things keep going wrong.

Last night, I left early to see the flick, Transamerica which a number of film-loving friends have recommended highly to me. It’s playing nearby at Laemmle’s Sunset 5 — one of the best places to see independent flicks in LA. But, that great place to see good movies also has perhaps the worst parking lot in the area. And last night, I couldn’t find any parking. (Despite the crowd, they kept the lowest level closed.) After driving around for fifteen minutes or so and realizing that the movie had already started, I headed for the exit where the attendant attempted to charge me for driving around and missing my movie — after I had informed him there was no parking.

Today, driving to the gym, all of a sudden this woman in front of me just stops. Fortunately, I was able to brake in time. She didn’t move and just waited. Finally, despite her failure to put on her turn signal, I realized she wanted to back into the parking spot on the street next to me. But, she couldn’t do it unless I backed up (which I couldn’t do) or changed lanes (which I couldn’t do at that moment). Finally, I was able to maneuver into the left lane. As I a passed this lady, I realized why she had failed to activate her turn signal. With one hand on the wheel and the other holding her cell phone, she had no free limb left to click it.

Perhaps it was because of that that while driving home after my workout, I almost gave the finger to another woman similarly driving, her head tilted while her hand helped balance her cell phone between her chin and shoulder. I had no reason to get angry at that woman. While she was driving while talking on her cell phone, she was observing the rules of the road. Her car was facing mine at an intersection; she had stopped after the car in front of her had gone through. I should have been pleased because instead of slowing at the stop sign, then rushing ahead despite oncoming traffic as many in my neighborhood are wont to do, she was waiting for me to turn when she knew because I had indicated by my activated left-turn signal.

But, given my crabby mood earlier today, I was unable to recognize her good driving and focused only on what I didn’t like — her talking on the cell phone (while driving).

Back here, I wondered if my hot-tempered reaction to this woman driving with a cell phone, (while observing the rules of the road) was like that of Democrats and others on the left to President Bush. I had nothing against this particular driver, just felt the need to vent after a number of difficult experiences. And given that she was driving with a cell phone, she had something in common with someone who had recently made my driving difficult. Just one of many recent aggravations, not all of which I list. (Perhaps being an Angeleno now, I focus on the driving difficulties.)

Just as we all get angry at aggravations in our lives, we all from time to time project our anxieties onto those not responsible for our current woes. And given the tenor (& irrationality) of some of the Bush-hatred, I wondered today (yet again) if those who so regularly and vehemently express their hatred of President Bush, if they’re just projecting other frustrations and personal turmoil onto the President of the United States because they just don’t like his politics. Just as I don’t like it when people drive while talking on a cell phone (without a “hands-free” device). At least today, I recognized what I was doing. And realize I was wrong to get upset at this woman. And grateful that I didn’t give her the finger.

1. Dan, sounds like what you need is a good bumber sticker!

xo
    Nick

Comment by ColoradoPatriot — January 20, 2006 @ 9:16 pm - January 20, 2006

2. I think you give the liberals waaaayyyyy too much credit. I don’t think there has to be any rhyme or reason, not much beyond the fact that they’re out of power and have no clue how to even start getting it back anyway.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — January 20, 2006 @ 10:20 pm - January 20, 2006

3. GPW,

As for Bush hatred (or Clinton hatred 10 yrs ago), a lot of it may be not hatred for the person, but hatred for being ‘out-of-power’ or hatred for having lost. Either way it is a character fault. Disagrements on policy is one thing, despising someone because of disagrements is another.

As for the driving, kudos for not letting the situation get the best of you. If I missed Transamerica, I probably would have been hot myself. Either way, with you in LA and myself in the Sunshine State, you will still get to see it before me ๐Ÿ™‚

Comment by Wendy — January 20, 2006 @ 10:33 pm - January 20, 2006

4. ThatGayConservative,

I have seem my share in ‘Conservatives’ who seethed at the thought of the Clintons. They are just as bad.

Comment by Wendy — January 20, 2006 @ 10:38 pm - January 20, 2006

5. That may be, but they’ve got nothing on te liberals who have nothing and offer nothing but anger and hate.

Could you imagine waking up every morning as pessimistic, depressed, morose, angry and hate-filled as the liberals are? Could you imagine spending your time wondering how you could screw the people just so you can get back at Bush? Could you imagine spending your days pathologically formulating bald-ass lies?

Comment by ThatGayConservative — January 21, 2006 @ 2:04 am - January 21, 2006

6. I donโ€™t like to blog when Iโ€™m in a bad mood for I fear that once I start venting in this public forum, it will put me on a slippery slope to projecting my own inner demons โ€” or daily frustrations โ€” onto the world

So does that make you the antithesis of His Highness, the Emperor Misha I?

Comment by rightwingprof — January 21, 2006 @ 10:20 am - January 21, 2006

7. In response to #5:

It would seem, from the condescending, patronizing tone of your comment, and your insistence that liberals spend their days “pathologically formulating bald-ass lies,” that you are just as “hate-filled” as these liberals.

Comment by Dan — January 21, 2006 @ 2:20 pm - January 21, 2006

8. Bush-hatred has a few simple, mutually reinforcing explanations.

As someone pointed out in another thread, Bush is a very safe target. In reality, we aren’t a dictatorship, and no one will ever be jailed just for hating Bush or (non-violently) expressing their hate. Unlike Venezuala, Cuba, Iran, North Korea, China, Iraq under Saddam, etc. That’s part of the explanation.

Another part is that Bush threatens to move the Supreme Court to the right and thus, he threatens Roe v. Wade. Huge numbers of people have a totally irrational attachment to Roe v. Wade, thinking that if it ends, their entire way of life must end.

It’s irrational fear, of course. Roe’s inevitable demise (inevitable because even liberal scholars recognize it as one of the most poorly-reasoned decisions in U.S. history) will make only the tiniest dent in the abortion rate, if that. And no dent whatsoever on sexual privacy rights. But, irrational attachment to Roe (or irrational fear of the consequences of its demise) is another cause of Bush-hatred.

Finally, there’s the general anti-Americanism of the Left. Bush’s very essence or most important issue as President is that America is better than many other countries (dictatorships) and worth defending. That is deeply threatening to the Left-liberal worldview. To understand the reason why, we must return, ironically, to the “chickenh*wk slur”.

The essence of the hippie, post-Vietnam, Left-liberal worldview is to deny the value of military service. Deny that the military guys/gals are heroes. Deny that they’re sacrificing for good causes, and that sacrifice as a way of life should be honored.

Why deny those things? Because hippie / Left-liberal values are opposite to military values. And if the hippies / Left-liberals don’t continually deny the value of military values, so to speak, then their entire way of life is, indeed, in question. They must face up to their own feelings of self-loathing over their cowardice in never signing up for the military and, instead, adopting hippie / Left-liberal values.

That self-loathing over their own real cowardice is something they seek to avoid; something they must never admit into consciousness. So, among other things, they try to project it onto us (those who are pro-American-military). They look at us being pro-military, and snort “Well why haven’t you signed up then, hypocrite?”

Never mind that the military is selective and doesn’t need most of us, or turned most of us down. The Left-liberals desperately need to dismiss us as people. The “chickenh*wk slur” is just way to kill 2 birds with one stone; projecting out their feelings of cowardice and low self-worth, while dismissing us.

And that ties back to Bush-hatred because they want to imagine that he (Bush) is a hypocrite too, in being pro-American and in using American military might in favor of America, highlighting the military’s value. Hence the Left’s endless insistence on dark secrets of hypocrisy in Bush’s perfectly good and honorable military record.

So, in short,
    (1) Bush ain’t a dictator – Safe target for hate;
    (2) Bush threatens Roe v. Wade, which the haters are irrationally attached to;
    (3) Bush’s policies implicitly highlight the value of the military and its approach to life (responsibility, duty, sacrifice, etc.), which the haters are desperately averse to.

Comment by Calarato — January 21, 2006 @ 2:36 pm - January 21, 2006

9. Important P.S.:

It should go without saying that my comments are about the Bush HATERS. It is entirely possible to criticize Bush without being a hater. Bush does a lot wrong.

It is even possible to be a pro-American, responsible liberal – I think of Christopher Hitchens here. Such liberals should be completely un-threatened by my comments, recognizing that my comments are about the haters (only).

Comment by Calarato — January 21, 2006 @ 2:50 pm - January 21, 2006

10. Dan,

Sounds like you need a good hummer! Come to DC and take your mind off things.

Comment by Aaron of LifelikePundits — January 22, 2006 @ 4:52 pm - January 22, 2006

11. Dan,

I didn’t make this explicit earlier: The long/short of what I’m saying is that the phenomenon you’re describing is in no way similar or related to the phenomenon of Bush-haters.

Bush-hatred is a way of life. It isn’t simply projecting some recent stressful or difficult experiences onto somebody else. It’s a long-term, truly deranged or out-of-touch-with-reality condition. (Again, I’m talking about the people who really HATE Bush – carrying the emotional charge or “heat” with them.)

When you were about to project some recent stressful or difficult experiences onto somebody else, you caught yourself and noticed they didn’t really deserve it. That should be a further illustration that what you’re talking about is fundamentally different from what Bush-hate is about.

Which is why I posited some different reasons for Bush- hatred.

Comment by Calarato — January 24, 2006 @ 1:14 am - January 24, 2006

12. Good point, Calarato. But, perhaps their animosity began in a moment of pique. And they found that by projecting their anger onto Bush, it helped them ease the anxieties of that moment. By projecting onto Bush, they didn’t have to deal with the problems as their own.

Food for thought. And if I were less tired, I would elaborate more.

Comment by GayPatriotWest — January 24, 2006 @ 2:35 am - January 24, 2006