Do Minority Conservative Bloggers Attract More “Moonbats”?

Posted by GayPatriotWest at 2:33 am - January 29, 2006.
Filed under: Blogging,Conservative Discrimination,Liberals

Yet, whenever, Glenn links Gateway Pundit whom he seems to link at least once a week (and for good reason), that apparently straight blogger never seems to attract the number of comments we do. And he gets approximately six times as many daily visits as do we. In a post where Instapundit linked both of us, we received three times as many comments as did Gateway. From his most recent Insta-link, Gateway (at the time of this writing) received only three comments.

And that got me thinking. Earlier this month, I had read Michelle Malkin‘s book, Unhinged: Exposing Liberals Gone Wild wherein this woman (who happens to be Asian) shared some of the nasty e-mails she has received from her critics on the far left. A number made derogatory references to her ethnicity, calling her a “yellow woman” and “gook” who “ought to be shot between those Viet Cong eyes!”

I wondered if this reason that we attract more nasty comments (than does Gateway) is the same that Michelle seems to attract so much hate-mail — that “moonbats” get particularly agitated by “minority” conservatives, that it upsets their view of the world when gay people and Asians refuse to join some “coalition of the oppressed” in speaking out against conservatives. They would rather all conservatives be white Christian men so they could more easily dismiss our ideas.

Given that Gateway appears to be such a fellow, he doesn’t get the left-wing’s goat as do we and Michelle. Black conservatives are called Uncle Toms. A feminist icon called a Republican woman senator “a female impersonator.” If our more angry adversaries aren’t telling us gay conservatives are like Jewish Nazis, they’re calling us “self-loathing” as did a critic who recently e-mailed me. It does seem that we “minority” conservatives attract moonbats like moths to the flame.

Perhaps it’s that they refuse to understand that many of us don’t see ourselves as members of a minority group, but as individuals who happen to differ in one way or another from the great majority of our fellow citizens, individuals who find that, by and large, most conservatives aren’t bothered by that difference. While that difference may impact our world view in one way or another, it isn’t the defining factor.

Or perhaps they get so upset because the mere notion of a member of a supposedly persecuted group backing what they see as the ideology of the oppressor makes it less easy for them to dismiss that “ideology.” The fact that minorities take conservative positions means that such ideas aren’t as narrow as many on the left believe them to be. Instead of undertaking the intellectually challenging task of grappling with our ideas, they choose instead to define us to fit their own narrow world view, ignoring our arguments and insulting each one of us.

-Dan (AKA GayPatriotWest): GayPatriotWest@aol.com

1. Minorities are supposed to have their lips firmly clamped to the balls of the liberals. You’re not supposed to ask questions and stand up to them, only cower and genuflect whenever their word is spoken. Otherwise you upset the apple cart and liberals don’t know how to act.

At the same time, I think it shows the hypocrisy of the compassionate, tolerant, inclusive etc liberals.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — January 29, 2006 @ 3:00 am - January 29, 2006

2. Or perhaps it is because they are not really liberals they just hate the West, Jews and gays and love totalitarianism, theocracy (as long as its Islamic) and anything which they can rebel against. They are basically children who have never matured enough to understand that people are individuals and that trying to force people to think in a certain way is the exact opposite of what true liberalism is.

Comment by Dina — January 29, 2006 @ 7:07 am - January 29, 2006

3. GP, it appears you have upset the Collective when you failed to attend the required Tunnel of Oppression indoctrination program established by Big Brother Ivory Tower. There’s no excuse for failing your duty to the Cause!

Now get thee to thy Tunnel of Oppression NOW!

Comment by syn — January 29, 2006 @ 7:09 am - January 29, 2006

4. It could also be because (right or wrong) the moonbats consider Mrs. Malkin (a physically small female) and yourself (an ‘out’ gay man) as easier targets for bullying and intimidation. Consider the maturity level of those involved.

Comment by DaveP. — January 29, 2006 @ 8:05 am - January 29, 2006

5. I hesitate to go down the road of conspiracy theory but… consider a couple of things.
    1) The moonbat rants are overwhelmingly similar in their language, misinformation and ferocity.
    2) The left can’t afford to loose any of their minority constituencies like gays or others. Gaypatriot.org is like a crack in the Liberal damn which they are attempting to seal (please note my success in avoiding use of the obvious double entendre metaphor, lol).
    I conclude that an organized effort of intimidation is being conducted (perhaps even being funded) to undermine support of minority Conservative blogs and ideas. But what organization(s) would go to such lengths?

I sometimes post messages on the discussion boards at Yahoo. The moonbats are in full force there, believe me! During a particularly nasty Bush-bashing message stream I had to wonder – was I reading the thoughts of a very large group of irrational, uninformed 13 year olds? Or was it more likely the orchestrated effort to discredit the President of a group like moveon.com? Lastly, am I wrong to make a distinction between the two groups?

Comment by Dave — January 29, 2006 @ 9:30 am - January 29, 2006

6. Dave: Narrow minds perforce think alike. There need be no conspiricy to explain similar idiocy.

Comment by DaveP. — January 29, 2006 @ 10:05 am - January 29, 2006

7. Your analysis is spot on. Nothing angers a collective like a dissenter. You are one step away from them yelling “Trotskyite.”

Comment by JRMuller — January 29, 2006 @ 10:45 am - January 29, 2006

8. Oh, puh-lease. This is the blog where I was called an “ignorant slut” in the comments section.

Comment by Andy — January 29, 2006 @ 10:58 am - January 29, 2006

9. Hmmm…. That specific phrase is too famous… Are you sure it wasn’t just an ironic quotation of the old Saturday Night Live sketch, “Jane you ignorant slut”?

Comment by Calarato — January 29, 2006 @ 11:25 am - January 29, 2006

10. It may be an ironic quotation but it hurt Andy just the same. That’s the important thing.

Comment by VinceTN — January 29, 2006 @ 11:29 am - January 29, 2006

11. Andy, I don’t condone name-calling as a means of defending me even when it follows (as it frequently does) an insulting comment from one of our critics.

Comment by GayPatriotWest — January 29, 2006 @ 11:30 am - January 29, 2006

12. […] Gay Patriot: Just over four months ago, when Instapundit linked a piece where I asked “If Iraq is like Vietnam, how come the rallies keep getting smaller?, we received a record number of comments — and not just from those who agreed with the post. We attracted a number of critics, many of whom expressed their disagreement in less-than-civil tones. And I saw an uptick in the amount of hate mail I received. The same thing happened again last week when Glenn linked my post on the Canadian elections. We got a lot more comments and I got a little more hate mail. […]

Pingback by Flopping Aces » Blog Archive » Blogosphere Illumination II — January 29, 2006 @ 12:29 pm - January 29, 2006

13. Good, thoughtful post Dan.

I think the attacks are similar in scope to the ones Republican Congressional legislators have noted in the past: there is a strong, coordinated attack base of LibLefties –centered in the core moonbat fury propagated by abortionists, labor and radical environmentalists– who work collaboratively to spread a similar message of intolerance, hate and disruption throughout the blogsphere, MSM, and right down to local “Letters to Editors” that have surprisingly similar syntax, language and construct.

I see these folks as political stalkers and intimidtors.

The fury you feel comes because they think of a gay guy as someone who SHOULD be on their side, marching in lockstep to the ideas and messages of the LibLeft. When you don’t, you question the very core of their “march”. The very core.

In the face of that hatemail, stand tall and resolute. Your political opponents aren’t winning on a single front these days and that makes the politically impotent even more angry and frustrated.

Comment by Michigan-Matt — January 29, 2006 @ 12:30 pm - January 29, 2006

14. Well, at last you get linked by “Insta” and get hate mail. After a year of blogging, I’ve only had three posts that got more than three comments by seperate individuals. I feel so unloved / unhated. Poor Me:-(

PS. I did get a sour comment concerning my Alterman post, pointing out a dumb comment Eric made. That must mean I’m starting to do something right.

Comment by sonicfrog — January 29, 2006 @ 1:51 pm - January 29, 2006

15. This seems to happen on both sides … Margaret Cho receives many of the same racial insults as Michelle Malkin….. Star Jones recently talked about her hate mail because of her views on Iraq, which included many derogatory anti black statements.

Comment by Come On! — January 29, 2006 @ 2:15 pm - January 29, 2006

16. I think liberal get flummoxed by “minorities” they can’t feel sorry for. They don’t know what else to do with them.

Comment by Jane — January 29, 2006 @ 2:28 pm - January 29, 2006

17. Yes, Come On!, I’m sure that happens. But the people who insult Cho and Jones don’t paint themseleves as the only thing between minorites and extermination camps the way the Left does.

Comment by wcf4440 — January 29, 2006 @ 2:34 pm - January 29, 2006

18. Dan,

Excellent, spot on post, bud.

As a gay blogger, I’ve known for two years now that left-wing hate mail is an “occupational” hazard of my hobby. But this is not surprising. Minority conservatives are a threat to the Left in a way other conservatives are not. For there are only two explanations — both of them dangerous to the Left — for our very existence: 1) minority conservatives are collaborators with the oppressors; 2) minority conservatives have a case.

It’s consistent with the Left’s worldview — and intellectually easier — to attack us as the former than it is to grapple with the later. After all, if minority conservatives have any case at all, this casts doubt on the legitimacy of many left-wing claims.

In the battle of ideas, every piece of hate mail should be treated as a white flag.

Comment by Paul — January 29, 2006 @ 2:48 pm - January 29, 2006

19. My father is an old school liberal. He was a very successful businessman. He always used to say that if he were a selfish person, he’d vote for the Republicans because their economic policies benefited people in his income bracket, but he cared too much about “the little guy”.

I’m not nearly as successful as my father, and I’m a Republican. When I get involved in heated political debates with him, he says to me “if you’re so smart, why aren’t you more successful?”

Got that? He cares about the little guy, but the little guy better know his place and not express an opinion that differs from his. If they do, then he’ll quickly remind them that they’re in no position to disagree with him, because he’s NOT one of the little guys.

Comment by The Fop — January 29, 2006 @ 2:49 pm - January 29, 2006

20. #18 – “Every piece of hate mail should be treated as a white flag.”

Tbanks man! Quote of the day.

#19 – Fop – It may be a little bit worse than that, even.

The New Deal policies of the FDR generation of Democrats benefitted businessmen, first and foremost. So your father was likely voting his self-interest after all!

How did they benefit businessmen? By making it much, much harder for businesses (thus businessmen) to fail. And in many cases, by limiting and restricting competition.

Why are the second-, third- and fourth- generations of rich families instinctively Leftist/liberal? (And they are – think Kennedy, Rockefeller.)

NOT because the first generations were monsters who need to be made up for. On the contrary, those first generations were generally productive geniuses to whom we should all be grateful (certainly true of Rockefeller, Carnegie and many others).

No, the 2nd/3rd4th generations are instinctively Left-liberal because they have no idea how their ancestor made money, and they need to slow down the rate of economic change in order to keep their own stocks and trust funds worth something.

The fact that we’ve developed a secular religion around Left-liberalism – the mythology that it somehow “helps the little guy”, whom actually it undermines or destroys – is an added benefit, letting them hate/rebel against their ancestor as well, with a “moral” patina to it.

Comment by Calarato — January 29, 2006 @ 3:46 pm - January 29, 2006

21. It’s also easier to leave a comment here, while Gateway uses the comment system from Blogger, which requires a bit of extra effort (including typing in a word to prove you aren’t a spambot)

Comment by JeremyR — January 29, 2006 @ 3:59 pm - January 29, 2006

22. I just noted the same thing, JeremyR, in commenting to his posts. Good to bring that up!

Comment by GayPatriotWest — January 29, 2006 @ 4:02 pm - January 29, 2006

23. Fop:

“If you’re so smart, why aren’t you more successful?”

This statement sucks on so many levels, especially coming from a father. But it proves that your dad is indeed a Democrat because it’s an ad hominem attack designed to deflect attention from the fact that he was losing the argument.

It also shows the typical elitist Democrat contempt for the “little guy” they claim to care about, much in the same way Dems care about the troops but call them baby killers, or care about the Iraqis but demand that they be immediately abandoned to the terrorists.

This statement of your dad’s will haunt me. The more I think about it, the more horrified I am at the breathtaking, uninhibited contempt it shows for you.

If it’s any consolation, my father can be an amazing jerk too. When I sold my first magazine article, his comment was not “Congratulations, my writer son!” No, it was “What are ya gonna do for eatin’ money, huh?”

But Dad and I are both Republicans, so at least we don’t fight about that.

Comment by Tom W. — January 29, 2006 @ 4:08 pm - January 29, 2006

24. I find it an alien concept to give too much thought to what type of person is presenting an argument online. I just read text, and judge it on its merits, and am still surprised others don’t do that.

Comment by Typewriter King — January 29, 2006 @ 8:17 pm - January 29, 2006

25. Human beings think in patterns. What we call “sterotyping” is in fact one of the most basic human behaviors.

The left spent most of the 20th Century thinking in particular patterns. Specifically, dividing people up by their particular victimization status: black, female, gay, handicapped, etc.

In the beginning, this might have been benign – to try to eliminate legal oppression. But, as Nietzsche said, “if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you”.

I think the Left has lost the ability to think in any other way. And, humans tend to react very badly when someone tries to break out of their pattern.

Now, this isn’t to say that others (conservatives, etc.) don’t think in patterns, too. We do, but in different patterns.

The irony is of course that the Left considers itself open minded. In fact, they think that they are the ONLY people who are open minded.

The hate comments you get on this site are a disproof of that proposition.

Comment by Just Me — January 29, 2006 @ 8:33 pm - January 29, 2006

26. #15 – The only difference between Michelle Malkin and Margaret Cho is that Michelle is a lot funnier than Margaret and doesn’t have to genuflect to the Idiot Left to prove it.

Regards,
    Peter Hughes

Comment by Peter Hughes — January 29, 2006 @ 9:01 pm - January 29, 2006

27. I don’t know how badly Gay Conservatives have it, but Transsexual ones certainly feel like a doubly persecuted minority.

Some Catholic paleocon in the IRS uses an outspoken article from a Church-run website as an excuse to ignore medical science and refuse to allow TS people tax deductions for necessary corrective surgery, and the Majority blames Bush.

Why? Because to many on the Left, Bush is the source of all the world’s evils.

The Dems have allowed their party to be Hijacked by the moonbats, the KosKids, Mooristas, and Mother Sheehan’s Flying Circus.

Please, let’s not make the same mistake and let our team be hijacked at the grass roots by the PaleoCons and Religious Right. I’ve noticed a worrying trend here. For the first time that I can remember, TS people have less civil rights than they had the year before.

As for Liberals confronted with a TS NeoCon – they just don’t believe it, and just ignore that such an inconceivable event could happen.

Comment by Zoe Brain — January 29, 2006 @ 11:04 pm - January 29, 2006

28. Just over four months ago, when Instapundit linked a piece where I asked “If Iraq is like Vietnam, how come the rallies keep getting smaller?…

The answer to the question should be self-evident. There was a draft during the Vietnam War, there was and is no draft during the Iraq War. Currently, college age people do not run the risk of being called up and sent to war, unless they volunteer. Their poorer compatriots oftentimes have no other choice than to volunteer, but pretty much nobody cares about them.

Comment by raj — January 30, 2006 @ 10:03 am - January 30, 2006

29. #26: the Idiot Left Does anyone not see the hypocrisy here? Consistently in the comments section I read how “the left” refuses to engage in actual debate and is only capable of attacking conservatives, or some such nonsense. Then what inevitably follows is a tirade describing liberals as “irrelevant” or “unhinged” or what have you. All of you consistently fail to concede that even though you may disagree, liberals have valid points to make. There is, after all, more than one way to skin a cat. Yet instead of discussing the merits of various ideas, anything that departs from the Bush agenda is derided as “nonsense” or not infrequently “treason.”

Comment by Andy — January 30, 2006 @ 3:41 pm - January 30, 2006

30. “Some states get together to legislate to allow, inter alia, ambulance drivers to refuse on religious grounds to transport injured TS people so they die at the scene of the accident, and Bush gets blamed again.”

I am not aware of a single state that has enacted such legislation. You must have been thinking of the infamous episode in DC 10 years ago where a drag queen injured in a car wreck was insulted and ridiculed for a period of time rather than promptly sending him to the hospital.

Comment by Patrick Rothwell — January 30, 2006 @ 4:07 pm - January 30, 2006

31. All of you consistently fail to concede that even though you may disagree, liberals have valid points to make.

The typical pattern is, a liberal exhausts his talking points after the first round, then turns to insults when challenged to back up his statements with facts or logic. Some, like Ridor and JRC, don’t even bother to make a point, they just start in with the insults and calling people Nazis.

Others, and I won’t name names, but we all know who they are, will make a statement or an accusation and then, when the accusation is disproven, or when his own words are used to indict his argument will weasel and throw out some convoluted obfuscation that their words didn’t really mean what they said, often accompanied by insults to the intelligence of the person who challenged him.

And then there’s Stephen, who can spew out long anti-Republican diatribes but can’t answer a simple question as to why the Democrats are a better alternative.

Comment by V the K — January 30, 2006 @ 6:26 pm - January 30, 2006

32. Great post.

Here, in Spain, we have exactly the same problem with socialists and communists. Gays and immigrants are theirs and nobody can touch them. But here is worse, because (unfortunately) left is stronger than in any other western country.

Comment by HLH — January 31, 2006 @ 9:37 am - January 31, 2006

33. #30 Patrick Rothwell — January 30, 2006 @ 4:07 pm – January 30, 2006

There have been bills filed to that effect in the Michigan state legislature. There have also been bills filed in the Michigan state legislature that would allow drug store operators to refuse to fill prescriptions on “religious grounds.”

They all are, of course, licensed by the state. If they don’t want to do their jobs, their licenses should be revoked.

Comment by raj — January 31, 2006 @ 1:33 pm - January 31, 2006

34. when I was a fervent Dem, we all hated Repubs because they were evil.
    when I grew out of it, I noticed that Repubs didn’t hate Dems. they got frustrated sometimes but the attitude was more “aww, they mean well, they are just clueless”.
    this experience seems to match up well with vitriol level seen on left/right blog comments.

Comment by Jim,MtnViewCA,USA — January 31, 2006 @ 9:29 pm - January 31, 2006

35. […] How many Schools of Gay are there really? Homocons, leftists, stay-at-homes, party animals (meow), youngsters, oldster and average joes and gun owners and many other beautiful atrocities. (Oh, and malcontents of all kinds, and football fans.) All are now more easily connected. Each does not have to reference a single gay model. Conservative and staid libertarian gays especially might have once rejected participating in the gay conversation and life due to their discomfort with the personality template of the community whose gatekeepers maintained a libertine flare on fun matters and an arid in-your-face leftist style for serious things. (Sure there was the Log Cabin Republicans, but that is a political group, not a community in the way we’re talking.) They didn’t like the identity projected by what they perceived as the only community, and that community was more than just uncomfortable with them. They relied on local resources (when they existed) and friends (when they could find them). But now they have access to many communities with distinct identities and more members to interact in defining what the communities are. I think this has encouraged more openness and a greater (and more serious) presence of gays in wider society. […]

Pingback by Gay Orbit » Internet, Schools of Samba, and The Community™ — February 26, 2006 @ 7:21 pm - February 26, 2006

36. Hi, How about a hobby in Costume making? I love doing it! And, after a while, why not rent them out? Very rewarding indeed! Keep up the good work! Regards, Sheila. 😉

Comment by Costume Makers — March 12, 2006 @ 7:32 am - March 12, 2006

37. Hi I am Angelique, 16 years of age from France, and I make costumes for my hobby. I plan to make my own costume rental business someday. I like blogging as well, as I can tell everybody about my hobby. Bye everybody! 🙂

Comment by Costume Rentals — March 12, 2006 @ 4:05 pm - March 12, 2006