Dixie Chicks Stuck On Stupid

Posted by Bruce Carroll at 10:00 am - February 1, 2006.
Filed under: Country Music,Liberals

Lead Dixie Chicks singer and chronic Foot-In-Mouth Disease victim Natalie Maines has raised the ire of country music fans yet again. You may recall in 2003, while being paid for singing on foreign soil (London), Ms. Maines gleefully told her British customers: ”We’re ashamed that the President of the United States is from Texas.”

Now the annoying child is spouting off and insulting her own customer base: those of us that enjoy country music.

Dixie Chicks’ Natalie Maines rips country music, fans – National Ledger

Maines says she’s finished with the genre and is none too pleased with the fans, basically labeling them as redneck hicks. She tells Entertainment Weekly, “the stereotype is true.”

“So I’m pretty much done. They’ve shown their true colors. I like lots of country music, but as far as the industry and everything that happened… I couldn’t want to be farther away from that,” Maines told EW.

Ah, but she’s not done. Not only does she hate country music (the genre whose fans lined her pockets with money), she turns on the free market and democracy that made her rich as well.

“The entire country is controlled by money. And I think that’s what people feel, they don’t — their voice isn’t heard. They don’t have a say. It’s corporate America. My friend made up the word corpocracy. I love that word.”

I’m guessing the Chicks’ will be headlining the 2008 Democrat National Convention on opening night at Berkeley Auditorium.

Anyway, I need your help. When I woke up this morning, one of my local country stations, WSOC-FM, was all abuzz about Maines trashing those of us who made her famous and enjoy country music. They are now soliciting emails to consider whether to dump the Dixie Chicks from the playlist altogether. According to the Entertainment Weekly article after all, the Chicks are turning away from country and going rock. So I don’t see a reason for a country music station to play them anymore at all.

Please email the Programming Director at WSOC and ask him to remove Dixie Chicks from the playlist for good. They can have the liberal Hollywood crowd swoon over them — and leave Real America to the rest of us.

-Bruce (GayPatriot)

1. Wow, there’s a country station that still plays the Dixie Chicks? All the stations in my part of the country stopped playing them when she made that idiotic statement in London.

Comment by rightwingprof — February 1, 2006 @ 11:29 am - February 1, 2006

2. It continues to amaze Vera that some of the biggest beneficiaries of our way of life (democracy, freedom of speech, free markets, free press, lack of talent being no obstacle to success) are the most vocal critics of the very system that allowed for their achievement (paging George Soros, paging George Soros).

I’m guessing Ms. Maines is not familiar with the expression: “don’t bite the hand that feeds you”.

Perhaps she’ll spend some of her vast earnings in moving to a less redneck country.

Comment by Vera Charles — February 1, 2006 @ 11:38 am - February 1, 2006

3. Odd. I had been lead to believe that conservatives pretty much ignored entertainers (so-called “Hollywood”) when they make political statements. Apparently I was in error. I don’t care what they say; why do you?

BTW, the Dixie Chicks? I’ve never heard any of their works, and had never heard of them until they started with their diarrhea of the mouth a couple of years ago.

Comment by raj — February 1, 2006 @ 11:59 am - February 1, 2006

4. It’s a shame. I love country music and a lot of the Dixie Chick’s songs are very easy to listen to. “Earl” is very funny and “Soldier Comin’ Home” is sentimentally sad. And three-voice female harmony is something I like. It’s one thing to express a political viewpoint at odds with most of your constituency. I still listened to them after that. But insulting your base, right up front, well, who needs it from the Chix? We have raj for that!

Comment by EssEm — February 1, 2006 @ 12:36 pm - February 1, 2006

5. Actually, Raj, you’re more right than you know.

— Conservatives know Natalie Maines, like the rest of the Hollywood types, doesn’t really know what she’s talking about; thus, they ignore what she says in terms of changing their own opinion.

— However, they will gladly re-evaluate whether or not they like her music enough to reward her by buying her records when she continues to make these sort of statements.

In short, I will continue to listen to the Dixie Chicks’ music that I already have, because I genuinely do like it. But I won’t be purchasing any more of it, because…well….I wouldn’t want to taint Ms. Maines with any of my redneck money, now would I?

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — February 1, 2006 @ 1:23 pm - February 1, 2006

6. raj said:

Yeah, you’re right. But sometimes artists just go too far when they blast the very people who made them rich (Mommy you’re a fucking whore and thanks for the BMW). I saw a band a long time ago that continually insulted the audience it played for. But it was part of the gimmick. Good natured fun. But come on, you have to admit that this statement -“And I think that’s what people feel, they don’t — their voice isn’t heard.” – and others like it are kinda dumb when said by an artist who will get plenty of press. It’s that whole “feel” thing. Just because you “feel” something doesn’t make it true. It’s the same when Tim Robbins (great actor) said that he is being silenced when the Baseball Hall Of Fame decided not to have him as a guest speaker at the 2003 induction. They just wanted an apolitical event, so they decided not to have him speak since he does have a history of going on political rants even when asked not to. Mr. Robbins does have a right to express his views, and the BBHOT also has the right to shape the event as they see fit. And Mr. Robbins has absolutely NO problems getting air time to let his views be heard. Obviously. Anyway, this blog post and others like it are the audience collectively booing her for turning her back on them.

PS. She said:

“For me to be in country music to begin with was not who I was. I liked Martie and Emily’s playing, but I did not grow up liking country music.”

I don’t listen to much country. I’m a pop-rock enthusiast (the music – not the candy) and love a smart song with a good hook (XTC, Crowded House, Police, Level 42). For the $2000 gig in San Diego, I learned a couple of Martina McBride songs, and I must say, they were very fun to play. And since modern country is more pop-rock than country, I felt right at home. Since I’m leaving, Chris Plays Guitar, I’ll have some free time. Maybe I’ll start a country band, but only if I get to play Jerry Jeff Walker’s “Up Against the Wall, Red Neck Mother”. I’ll be the new Natille Maine, but I won’t stab my audience in the back… unless they want it.

Comment by sonicfrog — February 1, 2006 @ 1:43 pm - February 1, 2006

7. Bruce, can we now add her to the “Babs Steisand/Tim Robbins Memorial List” of those politically incorrect entertainment types who think being “famously recognized” is the equivalent of important? or informed? or that anyone beyond their self-sustaining narcissitic yes-crowd care what they think?

I say lock ’em all up in a colon cleansing spa, find some blind technicians and be done with them. It’s a fitting end, no pun intended.

Comment by Michigan-Matt — February 1, 2006 @ 2:12 pm - February 1, 2006

8. They are a bunch of redneck hicks. Just accept it and move on.

Comment by thetruth — February 1, 2006 @ 2:13 pm - February 1, 2006

9. #6 sonicfrog — February 1, 2006 @ 1:43 pm – February 1, 2006

This kind of thing isn’t new. Remember Don Rickles, a “comedian” from the 1960s? Or Andrew Dice Clay, a “comedian” from the 1970s”? Rickles wasn’t bad, but Clay was downright embarrassing.

Comment by raj — February 1, 2006 @ 2:29 pm - February 1, 2006

10. Dixie Chick’s kiss off to Dixie

(H/t to Gay Patriot)

Back’n’the day one of the most awesome men to ever walk into the world of Country music was Mr. Johnny Cash. Now the man in black had some opinions that were probably disagreable to the folks of his time and fought against the…

Trackback by Inside Larry's head — February 1, 2006 @ 2:40 pm - February 1, 2006

11. I just emailed that station and asked that they remove them…My station here in Philadelphia hasn’t played them since she put her foot in her mouth long ago.
    Maybe she can move to Bahrain next to the former Michael Jackson who is now dressing like a Bahrainian woman.
    If I were her two partners I would drop her like a lead balloon, after those nasty comments regarding them.

Comment by PatriotMom — February 1, 2006 @ 2:57 pm - February 1, 2006

12. Any chance Ms. Maines is related to this Ms. Main http://www.dvdclassicscorner.net/kettle.htm

One can only hope.

Comment by Vera Charles — February 1, 2006 @ 3:25 pm - February 1, 2006

13. However, I would guess that most Americans would agree with her in thinking that “Corporate” America runs the country. Especially lately with all the fine examples of GOP and Dem bribery and buffoonery that has happened lately.

Comment by Patrick (Gryph) — February 1, 2006 @ 3:37 pm - February 1, 2006

14. Patrick:

unfortunately for those who believe the “corporate America” thing, they get the diagonosis [mostly] right, but their prescription to fix it is wrong. Corporate America wouldn’t be spending billions of dollars trying to influence government if GOVERNMENT WASN’T SO F***ING BIG. As long as the government continues to be a lumbering behemoth that has the power to dispense favors and privileges, those with wealth and connections will continue to bribe, lobby, etc. to get what they want. Take the power away from the federal leviathian, and voila! no more incenctive to spend the money to buy a congressman or senator.

Comment by libertarianobserver — February 1, 2006 @ 4:20 pm - February 1, 2006

15. However, I would guess that most Americans would agree with her in thinking that “Corporate” America runs the country. Especially lately with all the fine examples of GOP and Dem bribery and buffoonery that has happened lately.

If they’d like to quit their jobs in protest, they should go right ahead.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — February 1, 2006 @ 4:28 pm - February 1, 2006

16. Um… “Corporate America runs the country”?

Just how exactly does she think her CD’s get recorded, manufactured, marketed, sold, played? Elves?

Comment by DaveP. — February 1, 2006 @ 5:02 pm - February 1, 2006

17. Yeah, it’s such a horrible thing that corporations … you know, places that supply jobs and livelihoods to people, and supply us with the food, clothing, and shelter that enable us to survive… should seek to lobby government to pay attention to their interests. Everyone knows the only people who should be allowed to “run America” are the designated political class, whining victim groups, and parasitic public employee unions.

I gotta tell ya, the first time I ever saw a Ditzy Chicks video, something about the singer just screamed ‘bitch’ to me, and that was long before the anti-Bush kerfuffle.

Comment by V the K — February 1, 2006 @ 5:08 pm - February 1, 2006

18. Uhm, since when were Country singers part of Hollyweird? I don’t see Merle Haggard or Toby Keith rubbing shoulders with Susan “We Proudly Name Our Kids After Serial Killers” Sarandon and Tim Robbins.

Comment by rightwingprof — February 1, 2006 @ 5:37 pm - February 1, 2006

19. “As long as the government continues to… dispense favors and privileges, those with wealth and connections will continue to bribe, lobby, etc. to get what they want.”

How can they not? It’s an issue of survival!

“Take the power away from the federal leviathian, and voila! no more incenctive to spend the money to buy a congressman or senator.”

Finally. Thank you.

Comment by Calarato — February 1, 2006 @ 5:55 pm - February 1, 2006

20. raj:

A couple of weeks ago, I saw the “Dick Van Dyke” episode where Rickles plays a common robber and holds up Rob and pregnant Laura in an elevator. The elevator, stopped by Rickles, won’t start again and it is revealed that Rickles is claustrophobic. It is a classic and hilarious episode. The DVD Show, IMO, is a show that really holds up to the test of time. I love “I Love Lucy”, and as a Media major in college, truly appreciate the ground breaking work done on the show, but I think DVD is on the whole the better, funnier show.

PS. Ever get the feeling the elevator show is analogous to the political atmosphere today. That both parties are stuck in the elevator, waiting for the doors to open. Except each side would claim the other is the Rickles character.

Comment by sonicfrog — February 1, 2006 @ 5:57 pm - February 1, 2006

21. #20 sonicfrog — February 1, 2006 @ 5:57 pm – February 1, 2006

I don’t recall the Dick Van Dyke episode that you are referring to, but I did find Rickles somewhat funny, once I figured out his schtick. I Love Lucy was the prototype for a number of sit-coms, up to the present day. Will & Grace is based on that paradigm. Two male&female characters, members of which sometimes interact in other ways. The Lucy prototype should be obvious.

Comment by raj — February 1, 2006 @ 6:35 pm - February 1, 2006

22. Rickles had a military sit-com… what was it?

(I was going to say something about the subject but I completely forgot what it was.)

Comment by Synova — February 1, 2006 @ 7:26 pm - February 1, 2006

23. I Love Lucy was the prototype for a number of sit-coms, up to the present day. Will & Grace is based on that paradigm

It would be hard to find one that isn’t / wasn’t. “Vitametavegimin” is probably my fave. But check “The Black Eye” episode #48. That show couldn’t be done in todays PC censored world. My all time favorite DVD Show episode has got to be the “It May Look Like a Walnut” episode.

Comment by sonicfrog — February 1, 2006 @ 7:30 pm - February 1, 2006

24. Oh, and college I think I wrote a 12 page paper on the leagacy of I. L. L. on modern television. Probably still have it in a box somewhere. I remember it because the day I tried to finish it my bird flew away, and the Apple 2 computer in the school lab erased my disk. OK, I’ll admit I did press the wrong button, but I wasn’t computer literate then. Thank GOD I had printed an unfinished draft a few days ealier. But I had to retype the whole thing and finish it as it was due the next day. At 1 AM, I left the lab and walked across campus yelling “This Semester is Garbage!”

Comment by sonicfrog — February 1, 2006 @ 7:50 pm - February 1, 2006

25. #22

SSGT. Crapgame, Kelly’s Heroes.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — February 1, 2006 @ 7:50 pm - February 1, 2006

26. This is an absolute shame. Back when they first started, I loved the three-part harmonies and their hooks. Their cover of Sheryl Crow’s “Strong Enough,” IMHO, tops the original.

While I’m not a hardcore country fan, I DO admire talent, and these three girls have it in spades. So much so, that I made a concerted effort to let them off the hook for Natalie’s verbal diarrhea in London. BUT, as a guy who makes his living in the entertainment industry, I just can’t conceive of someone stupid enough to willingly shit on the people who bought & paid for her home.

Truly and unforgivably moronic. Nice knowin’ ya, Natalie; it’s been a slice.

Eric in Hollywood

Comment by HollywoodNeoCon — February 1, 2006 @ 8:09 pm - February 1, 2006

27. Yeah, bu Eric, she’s heading your way!!!

Comment by sonicfrog — February 1, 2006 @ 8:16 pm - February 1, 2006

28. Yeah, but Eric, she’s heading your way!!!

Comment by sonicfrog — February 1, 2006 @ 8:17 pm - February 1, 2006

29. Thank you sonic…you’ve completely ruined a nice evening! LOL

Comment by HollywoodNeoCon — February 1, 2006 @ 8:22 pm - February 1, 2006

30. Wow, Hollywood. 🙂 Hey Eric, I’ve got this script… hehe, well, okay maybe that’s not a funny joke, or maybe it is, I donno. 😉

ahem

I thought Rickles’ show was somethingorother Sharkey, or was that just his name on the show?

Oh, and what I was going to say about the Dixie Chicks or at least the whole “thing” about offending people unnecessarily… I’m unpublished but even just hoping that someday I *will* be published makes me consider the wisdom of some of the political commenting I do and is probably the reason I can’t make up my mind about starting my own blog and why I’ve started to use a psedonymn (though finding my real name would be absurdly easy.)

I don’t think that people go around searching for reasons to not watch or read or listen to their favorite authors and artists but they *do* like to *like* the person who’s art they admire. No point in shooting a hole in your own foot.

Comment by Synova — February 1, 2006 @ 10:22 pm - February 1, 2006

31. #30

Oh. C.P.O. Sharkey.

CPO = Chief Petty Officer, Navy.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — February 2, 2006 @ 2:08 am - February 2, 2006

32. Why would Fatalie Maines turn on her “Redneck” fan base so aggressively? I mean, she’s obese, bleaches her hair, has tattoos, and ain’t none too smart. Seems to me that she’s the very essence of the stereotypical yahoo. Guess she’s a-tryin’ to put on the airs or a-somethin’. Does this mean that somewhere in Texas there’ll soon be a double-wide for sale???

Reminds me of an old song about another Red Stater who loaded up the truck and a-moved to Beverly. (Hills, that is.) Just hope she’s ready for the chilly reception she’ll get from Mrs. Drysdale.

Comment by glisteny — February 3, 2006 @ 10:57 am - February 3, 2006

33. Hi, nice blog how long has it been up? I am trying to start my own blog on external tape backup.How much room do you need on your hard drive to host a blog? Does it cost extra?. Thanks for response, ZANE

Comment by disaster island long recovery services — February 13, 2006 @ 7:07 am - February 13, 2006

34. Hello and congratulations, I really like your blog. In fact, my wife and I are running a new project about proximity sensor wiring diagram and I found your site while searching for information in this field. Your writing skills are good and we think that you would be perfect to work with us. If you are interested, you can contact us by email. Keep up your work, it’s excellent!

Comment by Proximity sensor wiring diagram — February 15, 2006 @ 12:29 pm - February 15, 2006

35. Great blog. Found your blog while searching for more information at yahoo about standing cd holders . Your blog has quite a lot of interesting thoughts. Keep up the good work.

Comment by standing cd holders — February 22, 2006 @ 11:50 am - February 22, 2006

36. Great blog. Found your blog while searching for more information at yahoo about computer cd holder. Your blog has quite a lot of interesting thoughts. Keep up the good work.

Comment by computer cd holder — February 22, 2006 @ 12:34 pm - February 22, 2006

37. Hi, you have good site, me very much has liked it, will come back very often!

Comment by Mirela — March 4, 2006 @ 6:05 pm - March 4, 2006

38. oh my, this is where the gay republicans camp out. up until now – and honestly still – I thought you didnt even exist and were made up by a lobbying group. since it’s an oxymoron and all. gay republican that is. for those not following.

I stumbled across this site by accident while researching something unrelated. to get that out in the open upfront, no, I’m not a dixie chicks fan and am neither republican nor democrat, nor do I belong to any other party.
    I vote what my heart tells me is the right thing to do and not what popular opinion or a party tells me to.

reading this thread makes me sad. it’s all that is wrong with the US today. say something unpopular (meant in the true sense of the word) and you get fined, oppressed, excluded, ruined or just conformed. (where have we seen that before….hmm)
    this kind of “segregation” and arrogance is what makes others hate your guts.
    look where it’s gotten you in the last couple of years. think you dont need the rest of the world, the US is an island? let’s talk again when your social system did collapse, the oil prices made it impossible for more than 70% of the americans to be mobile and you’re busy waging a war somewhere to reverse this.

dont get me wrong. I still love my family and friends in the US. it helps when you try to stop to understand them. a bad sign though.

guess am just not ready to make nice. now bash away.

ps: am not an american, own an american passport because of my father, lived in dallas for 15 years, have a phd in economics, lived on 4 continents, speak 5 languages fluently and have seen enough to know, I dont know what’s right for others

Comment by robert — March 24, 2006 @ 3:40 pm - March 24, 2006

39. For a society consumed with the most tedious and inane minutiae of celebrity, the indignation over the words of a country music group is laughable. In this country, people (including artists/ celebrities) currently have the right to express their opinions, political and otherwise. To expect artists to censor themselves (in interviews, etc.) just to placate the frothing masses is unrealistic and Un-American, unless your idea of a great “Patriot” is one who’ll compromise and stifle their beliefs for fear of offending those who disagree with their views, or just to make sure they don’t lose a precious dollar.

If I’m to know anything about the entertainers the whose products I consume, I’d rather it be their intellectual/social (including political)/spiritual views than what they buy/where they eat/who they have sex with.

Comment by K. Young — April 5, 2006 @ 2:48 pm - April 5, 2006

40. What’s with all of the hatred? Last time I checked the definition of Patriot, it mentions nothing about hate.

I am an American, and I’m damn proud to be one. I believe in the ideals of our founding fathers. They settled here to start a new life away from the opression forced upon them by their governing bodies. They fought, and died, for that freedom centuries ago. Are we supposed to forget that and move back to a society where you’re told how to think and act? Are you hoping to make the national motto “Fall in line or else”?

Whether or not you agree with the comments that Natalie Maines made, she is supposed to be granted the right to be free from persecution from a narrow-minded “majority” for making whatever comments she makes.

Anyhow, what difference does it make what she says? If you don’t like what she says, turn off the radio/tv/internet. It’s not your job to police what I can listen to. What’s next? Burning books; is your ultimate goal to burn the Constitution, and rewrite it with a tyrannical theme?

I’m saddened by the fact that you use the term “patriot” to mean “oppressive hatred toward those that aren’t exactly like me”. I believe in America. I believe in freedom. I believe in Patriotism; however, Blind Patriotism does not make you right.

Gotta run! I hear the Constitution calling out to be saved from the “Patriots”…

Comment by John — April 20, 2006 @ 1:28 pm - April 20, 2006

41. “The principle of free thought is not free thought for those who agree with us but freedom for the thought we hate” – Oliver Wendell Holmes

But you keep right on demanding silence of those with whom you disagree: I’m sure that Hitler, Himmler and all the boys would be proud of you. As for me, I’ll stick with holmes!

Comment by Rand March — May 4, 2006 @ 3:05 pm - May 4, 2006

42. I believe in freedom. I believe in Patriotism; however, Blind Patriotism does not make you right.

If your intention was to show us rednecks that speaking our mind is simply hatred and not the Constitutional waving, Bill of Rights shaking, I still care about the world even though I bash America feelings that the Liberal Press, Hollywood, phony “artists” and you so warmly feel you need to express, well then ‘Good Job’.
    If on the otherhand you simply said something you maybe shouldn’t have, you now have our permission to apologize 🙂

Comment by Outlaw — May 22, 2006 @ 11:59 am - May 22, 2006

43. I stand behind and completely agree with the Dixie Chicks AND their right to free speech. I see them as considerably more patriotic than the sheep with their lips glued to Bush’s butt.

And by the way? I’m a conservative.

And an atheist.

Comment by Paul — June 16, 2006 @ 12:00 pm - June 16, 2006

44. So what’s the differance between Bush and the Dixie Chicks. Nothing they both talk shit, just the Dixie Chicks do not run a country. Who’s the dumb ass’s now.

Comment by Chris — June 21, 2006 @ 5:46 pm - June 21, 2006

45. Wow, Natalie Maines hates country music. So do a lot of people. Here’s what Iowa singer/songwriter Greg Brown told The New York Times in 2003:

“Look at country music,” he said. “You go back to Jimmie Rodgers, Hank Williams, through George Jones, maybe through Waylon Jennings — there was an element of danger and trouble that came right out of life, life that was lived by people in the South. Country music now is mall country, it’s clever, it’s based on skill, three or four guys sitting around the golf course writing country hits. It works, and it has about as much soul as that table over there. I’m the big dumb guy from the Midwest yelling: ‘This is wrong. This is wrong. Our lives should be funkier and more dangerous and more fun.’ That’s my job.”

Comment by John Sears — January 3, 2007 @ 1:59 pm - January 3, 2007

46. Is this place for real?

Comment by J — September 5, 2007 @ 1:31 am - September 5, 2007