With Cindy Sheehan out of Race, Feinstein Backs Patriot Act

Posted by GayPatriotWest at 5:53 pm - February 10, 2006.
Filed under: California politics,Liberals

I took a little flack from some of our conservative readers when, in a recent post, I said that I once respected Dianne Feinstein, the senior senator from my adopted home state. While Mrs. Feinstein has a largely liberal record, until recently, she had not joined the angry left in leveling mean-spirited accusations against the president.

She has always expressed her disagreements with conservatives in a civil tone and has not joined some of her more partisan colleagues in opposing a policy merely because the president supported it. She was one of the few Democrats to support his prescription drug program, perhaps realizing that even though it was a Republican bill, it was largely a New Democratic policy, the kind of legislation consistent with former President Clinton’s rhetoric.

But, lately, Senator Feinstein has leaned to the left. After saying she would not vote to filibuster the nomination of Samuel Alito, she did just that. In her questioning both of that good man last month and of Attorney General Alberto Gonzalez this month, she seemed to have adopted the tone of her more partisan California colleague. Perhaps, she was worried that anti-Bush gadfly Cindy Sheehan was threatening to challenge her in the California Democratic primary this spring.

On the same day that Mrs. Sheehan announced that she won’t run against Mrs. Feinstein, Feinstein came out in favor of the bill to renew the Patriot Act. At National Review Online’s the Corner, Byron York (whose post alerted me to Mrs. Feinstein’s support), notes that former San Francisco Mayor finds that the revised bill includes “three basic changes” which “improve the bill.”

Because President Bush supports renewal of the Patriot Act, the angry left opposes it. They’re not concerned that failing to renew it might compromise our security. They would see its defeat as an embarrassment for the man they revile. And given how strong a presence the angry left has in the Golden State, support for the Patriot Act could spell doom for a Democrat who faces a primary challenger with strong backing from the far left. With Cindy out of the race, Senator Feinstein no longer need worry about offending the angry left and can return to her roots as a responsible liberal — and a, by and large, decent Senator.

-Dan (AKA GayPatriotWest): GayPatriotWest@aol.com

1. Let’s hope! (fellow Californian)

Comment by Calarato — February 10, 2006 @ 6:01 pm - February 10, 2006

2. Dianne was Center/Right when she became SF Mayor. She had several pics taken of her with a pistol at a range implying that she would shoot the man who kill her predecessor. She remained center/right until this century when she mover to the left and each year went farther left. She is still far to the right of 2 other NoCal women: Babs and Nancy. She absolutely was scared by Cindy. If you’ve ever spent time in Frisco you would understand. My family first landed there 200 years ago and I have dozens of relatives (including a sister , a son and 2 grandsons) living there. Frisco is unreal.

Comment by Rod Stanton — February 10, 2006 @ 6:10 pm - February 10, 2006

3. Nice post, Dan, and an excellent shot at those who claim GP is blindly partisan. As a fellow Californian, I have to agree that Feinstein really isn’t bad as a representative of the state, though I loathed her decision on Alito. If we had a state legislature full of her, I probably wouldn’t complain too loudly, conservative though I am. It would be a significant improvement.

Comment by Casey — February 10, 2006 @ 6:30 pm - February 10, 2006

4. Casey, we agree about Feinstein. I too wish there were more Democrats like Dianne.

I wonder how she would have voted on Alito had she not been up for election this fall.

Comment by GayPatriotWest — February 10, 2006 @ 6:53 pm - February 10, 2006

5. Good point. As a new Californian, I can feel reasonably secure supporting her.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — February 10, 2006 @ 8:36 pm - February 10, 2006

6. #5

But the question remains why the hell anybody would want to move to California.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — February 11, 2006 @ 3:01 am - February 11, 2006

7. But the question remains why the hell anybody would want to move to California.

The question is, why do we let California continue to remain a state?

Comment by V the K — February 11, 2006 @ 10:00 am - February 11, 2006

8. HEY!!!! Back off there, tiger! 🙂

Until someone decides to headquarter the film industry in Montana (mmmm…cowboys), I, for one, couldn’t imagine living anywhere else. Besides, anyone else getting a look at what’s going on back east? LOL…it’s gonna be 80, count ’em, EIGHTY degrees amd sunny today!!!

So there.

Eric in the Land of Silk & Money

Comment by HollywoodNeoCon — February 11, 2006 @ 10:57 am - February 11, 2006

9. I’ll give you a hint, TGC. He’s just under six feet tall, sweet, talented, and handsome, and he loves my ass……

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — February 11, 2006 @ 11:41 am - February 11, 2006

10. It’s not just California, if Washington, Oregon, and Hawaii also decided to secede and form the People’s Republic of Pacifica… my attitude would be, adios, muchachos.

Comment by V the K — February 11, 2006 @ 12:23 pm - February 11, 2006