Convention? This Ain’t No Stupid Convention!

Posted by Bruce Carroll at 7:08 am - March 27, 2006.
Filed under: Log Cabin Republicans

Ted @ Charging Rhino has reviewed the … ahem… “program” for the Log Cabin “Republicans” convention and he’s not a bit impressed.

The following open-letter was faxed to Patrick Guerriero at Washington, D.C. Headquarters

24 Mar 2006

Patrick,

I’ve spent the last several days looking at the program for the LCR National Convention; looking at Expedia and Hotels.com for a better deal on rooms….and stewing. Looking at the options and mulling whether to skip Thursday-night, or just go Saturday, etc… And part of my problem is the Agenda…or rather what’s not on the Agenda.

If your NOT a VIP or Trustee; there’s the Thurs. Reception at the Capitol Club and the party later-on at Remington’s….but if your not a VIP you’re not invited to the intervening dinner. There’s no open-attendance dinner or party Friday other than the Trustee’s cocktail hour, and the Saturday evening party is for VIP’s-only as-well. And Sunday morning is the brunch for those “available”. As I read this, that means that the general LCR members will not have an opportunity for interacting with the VIP’s at-all socially between Thursday’s reception and Sunday’s brunch. All of the opinion-shapers and decision-makers will be out-of-reach and out of earshot for the duration of the LCR Convention after Thursday afternoon’s reception.

The official program bothers me in that it’s the agenda of a gay-rights group, not a Republican electoral organization. On Friday we have;
A speech in Gay Marriage, A speech on DADT, Keynote Speech by Bishop Robinson’s speech on Faith and Sexual Orientation, Followed by a panel discussion on religious intolerance, and a “Gay Rights” panel discussion.

On Saturday is the LCR Convention: GOP Women and the Big Tent, “Insights” into 2006 ands 2008, and “immigration reform, the war on terror and the spending situation in Washington.”

I don’t see any “partisan politics” being committed…and I don’t see any accountability of LCR-National to the general membership, nor the membership assembled. There’s no General Membership Business Meeting scheduled, and I don’t see any reports being made on the performance of the National, and I would have liked to hear some reports or comments from chapters on what was successful for them and not-successful. How they went about raising funds, soliciting both for their chapters functions, but also how they raised monies that where then channeled to their local, county and state GOP organizations. You and I both know that the two things that can any political organization influence in either party is the ability to mobilize manpower and money.

Where’s the grassroots organization and activism?? No small-group discussions? I see lots of “rights activism” but little “Republican political action”…and that worries me. Why no break-out seminars on getting involved in the partisan-political process. Presentations on why a gay Republican should run for local office. The How-to of organizing and growing chapters; or how to make a difference. I don’t see anyone speaking on how their Chapter has made in-roads into the GOP establishment…nor on how chapters can synergistically aid other chapters. Where’s the “politics”? How to orchestrate a mailing campaign. How to effectively lobby state legislators without waving huge bags of money. Where’s the the real-world examples of how to be effective on a county GOP committee to gain influence with the Committee.

I would like to attend, but I figure it’s $1500.-minumum at attend; and do what? Other than sitting in the dark, I don’t see the general membership of the LCR doing-much that counts; either at the Convention, nor once they get back home. At the moment, I think I’ll just leave my options open.

Yeah… and there doesn’t look like a chance for members to vote on the Board of Directors either. Perhaps that’s because it is fait accompli by the time the “membership” gathers.

At least there is democracy flourishing in the Middle East, even if it doesn’t at our national gay organizations.

-Bruce (GayPatriot)

1. I can hardly wait to read his answer…The convention sounds like a waste of time to me….I guess that is why I never joined that group..talk about an elitist attitude..exactly what we do not need, especially in an election year.

Comment by benj — March 27, 2006 @ 8:02 am - March 27, 2006

2. I have never lived near a LCR chapter, so I have never been affiliated with them — and I probably wouldn’t have even if I could have, since SIGs go against my personal ideology. I did, however, join a LCR mailing list, and from that experience, was quite glad that I had never joined of associated with them.

I really have no use for unprincipled conservatives, less than I do for liberals. And “I’m conservative, until you get to my little pet issue, then hear me roar like a liberal” is unprincipled.

This doesn’t surprise me at all. I’m surprised they don’t have Cardinal (choke) Mahoney lined up.

Comment by rightwingprof — March 27, 2006 @ 9:30 am - March 27, 2006

3. If LCR offered this kind of support to the national GOP, do you think they’d accept it?

Comment by Tim Hulsey — March 27, 2006 @ 2:50 pm - March 27, 2006

4. …agenda of a gay-rights group, not a Republican electoral organization.

It’s that time of year again I see. Cue the violins. Whenever LCR has its annual convention ’tis also the season when gay Republicans get into their annual bitch and whine session about what a gay Republican is. And to complain in hissy fits that the LCR national board members are not “real” Republicans. Yawn.

I can to a certain extent see the point. But if the complaint is regarding the elements of the program that are focused on “gay issues”, I must question why the person belongs to LCR in the first place? Is it not an organization for and by gay and lesbian people who are Republicans? If its just about being Republican alone, then why have the group in the first place? It’s not needed, you have the GOP Party apparatus for that. But if it is about being both gay or lesbian and Republican, then I think it makes sense for gay and lesbian concerns to be a part of the program, don’t you?

Whenever I see this “discussion”, it always looks to me like a 20-hour marathon meeting of the Prom Decorating Committee arguing non-stop over what color streamers are going to be hanging from the ceiling of the High School Gym this year. Very. Mature. -Like, gag me with a spoon, ya know? Fur Sure.

Do the other GOP affinity groups argue as much about this crap? Do the Young Republicans club members worry that they are not being “Republican” enough? Or does the Evangelical GOP club worry its not “Republican” enough?

Do they spend as much time and energy as the GOP gay and lesbian community does fighting with each other on this stuff? Maybe they should, but you guys spend more time worrying about being ideologically pure than the GOP itself does. Thats fine, but don’t expect to be effective. Politics is dirty business; Maybe you should try getting your hands dirty. More work, less talk.

Or dump the Prom analogy, maybe whats closer is to the truth is its like a feminist sensitivity workshop based on “Consensus” negotiation. AKA arguing until everyone walks away from the table completely happy. It’s also about as useful. Get over it.

Kahn,… I’m laughing at the “superior” intellect.- Capt. James T. Kirk.

Comment by Patrick (Gryph) — March 27, 2006 @ 4:09 pm - March 27, 2006

5. 4: Now that Republicans have defined themselves as the anti-Gay party — and these days, the GOP has little else to run on — I’d say your comments about Log Cabin Republicans hit home, Gryph. I wish I could answer them better, or more optimistically.

LCR, like most partisan minority groups, has a twofold agenda: Bring GLBT people into the Republican party, and keep the GOP informed and supportive on issues that affect GLBT people. I think it’s safe to say at this point that LCR is failing spectacularly on both counts, and I think it’s also safe to say that neither failure is Log Cabin’s fault.

Gays and Lesbians are a despised constituency within the GOP: For proof, one need only look at Republicans’ outcry against Jim Kolbe at their 2004 national convention, and the Texas delegates’ discourteous response when he spoke. Because the public face of the Republican party is so implacably anti-Gay (and in politics, the public face is what counts), LCR cannot gain any meaningful influence within the GOP, nor can it promote the GOP within Gay and Lesbian communities.

Comment by Tim Hulsey — March 27, 2006 @ 4:47 pm - March 27, 2006

6. Gays and Lesbians are a despised constituency within the GOP: For proof, one need only look at Republicans’ outcry against Jim Kolbe at their 2004 national convention, and the Texas delegates’ discourteous response when he spoke.

They are not for the most part despised, they simply can’t bring in the same number of votes or more as the Evangelicals.

Comment by Patrick (Gryph) — March 27, 2006 @ 6:42 pm - March 27, 2006

7. Because the public face of the Republican party is so implacably anti-Gay (and in politics, the public face is what counts), LCR cannot gain any meaningful influence within the GOP, nor can it promote the GOP within Gay and Lesbian communities.

Gays and lesbians have zero trouble calling homophobes, even FMA supporters, “pro-gay” and “gay-supportive” and shoveling money their way.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — March 27, 2006 @ 7:27 pm - March 27, 2006

8. 7. The simple reason that LCR is ineffective is because so many gays and lesbians are brainwashed into … believing that sexual orientation determines political affiliation …

If Gays and Lesbians are brainwashed into thinking that their sexuality determines their politics, the GOP is largely responsible for it.

Comment by Tim Hulsey — March 27, 2006 @ 10:31 pm - March 27, 2006

9. The simple reason that LCR is ineffective is because so many gays and lesbians are brainwashed into a) believing that sexual orientation determines political affiliation and b) believing that they’re nothing but victims.

As regards to “b”, under the current one-party rule by the GOP, haven’t they been? While Clinton indeed did pass DOMA and DADT, its not comparable in quanity or sheer viciousness that has been consistantly displayed by GOP leadership at both the national and state and even local levels. And he had lots of help from conservative Republicans and Democrats. Gulianni, and Arnold are exceptions to , not typical of the makeup of the current GOP. In fact the GOP in Congress is much more looney and ultra-right wing than it was under Clinton. Jesse-goddam-Helms often made more sense than the current crop of GOP bimbos.

Comment by Patrick (Gryph) — March 28, 2006 @ 12:07 am - March 28, 2006

10. I joined my local Log Cabin group one time for one year. At the end of the year, they asked for my renewal, so I had to ask myself what benefit I had received from being a member. I had received maybe two invitations to events, which I could have attended anyway as a non-member, and which required fees greater than or equal to what I had already paid to join. I couldn’t think of a single membership benefit. Had they done something constructive with my dues for that year? All they seemed to have done was spent it on a futile legal battle to establish gay marriage in our state — in short they’d thrown it down a rat hole. I did not rejoin.

Comment by Conservative Guy — March 28, 2006 @ 4:01 am - March 28, 2006

11. “An openly known homosexual is somebody who probably wouldn’t share my philosophy.” — George W. Bush, February 2000.

Funny, Bush hasn’t had any problems finding and appointing open homosexuals to high level and visible positions.

So much for that theory, Tim; now let’s deal with the constant hatemongering by gay leftists and Democrats against gay conservatives and Republicans. The Democratic Party, for example, regularly pays gay “activists” to harass gay conservatives and others who deviate from the Democratic Party line.

Let’s compare the two, shall we?

Bush says he may disagree with some gay people.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — March 28, 2006 @ 12:19 pm - March 28, 2006

12. As regards to “b”, under the current one-party rule by the GOP, haven’t they been? While Clinton indeed did pass DOMA and DADT, its not comparable in quanity or sheer viciousness that has been consistantly displayed by GOP leadership at both the national and state and even local levels.

It’s rather hard to be a victim when several of your wounds are self-inflicted, now isn’t it?

Then again, I suppose it’s easy to blind yourself to the homophobia you support as long as it’s “anti-Republican”, right?

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — March 28, 2006 @ 12:29 pm - March 28, 2006

13. The Democratic Party tries to get fired and repeatedly harasses and threatens gays who criticize them.

Perhaps. But the GOP does it for free, just because thats their idea of “fun”.

Comment by Patrick (Gryph) — March 28, 2006 @ 12:29 pm - March 28, 2006

14. Weak, Gryph.

I provide you CLEAR evidence of a paid Democratic operative doing so.

You respond with a vague accusation.

Fine. Whatever makes you happy. Reality be damned.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — March 28, 2006 @ 1:06 pm - March 28, 2006

15. Reality be damned.

Reality? Liberals have no grasp of reality. Last night, a lesbian was on television claiming that evil Bush oppressed and silenced her from speaking out as a lesbian. Note that she was on television, with millions of viewers, speaking out as a lesbian.

Or protesters burning flags, holding up signs of Bush’s severed head, and claiming Bush is instituting a police state. Note that they’re protesting, which they would not be allowed to do in a police state.

Or leftists who compare Bush to Hitler. Note that there are no concentration camps, nor is Bush gassing rooms full of people.

Reality. Liberals. Oil. Water.

Comment by rightwingprof — March 28, 2006 @ 3:05 pm - March 28, 2006

16. NDT #14. Went to your website (hard to read–contrast to links virtually invisible until highlighted), from there to the website which discussed GayPatriot “silenced.”

Saw the following, had no idea. Is it true?

“The most recent outing was that of Ken Mehlman, the new chairman of the Republican National Committee.”

We are everywhere.

Comment by Gene — March 28, 2006 @ 5:42 pm - March 28, 2006

17. That, Gene, is a Democrat wet dream that, unfortunately, has not and likely will not come true.

Besides, it wouldn’t make a damn bit of difference.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — March 28, 2006 @ 6:26 pm - March 28, 2006

18. [...] Rather than discourage gay Republicans from showing up for this year’s Log Cabin Convention, my warning to any interested parties is that TODAY is the last day to get the early registration prices for the 2006 LCR Convention in Washington, DC at the end of the month. [...]

Pingback by Boi From Troy » Log Cabin Convention Warning — March 31, 2006 @ 1:29 pm - March 31, 2006

19. Great template, did you pick it out. Very few comments are off the mark if any at all. You made my day.Thanks again my friend!.

Comment by serina — April 17, 2006 @ 9:13 am - April 17, 2006