Former Log Cabinite Jeff Cook Quits Race For Congress

As reported right here over a week ago…

Via email from Jeff Cook for Congress

March 28, 2006

Dear Friend:

I would like to take this time to express to you my heartfelt gratitude for the support you’ve shown over the past six months. As you know, last September I formed an exploratory committee to consider the possibility of running to represent New York’s 19th Congressional District in the U.S. House of Representatives.

We have put together a great team of talented individuals, raised nearly $100,000 and had the privilege of meeting hundreds of neighbors and families from across the Hudson Valley. We’ve talked about the issues that really matter and what Americans should be able to expect from their elected officials. I have been overwhelmed by the outpouring of support from those in New York and across the nation, and today I find it difficult to write this letter.

After months of consideration and honest conversations with family, friends and supporters, I have decided not to seek election at this time. Of course, this is not an easy decision. As we have explored this race, I have come to understand the hard reality of challenging an incumbent of one’s own party in a primary. In order to win, we would have to run an incredibly expensive and negative campaign—the type of campaign that is not in the best interests of the Hudson Valley, our long-term efforts or the values that have motivated me to seek public office.

In the months ahead, I will continue to be a voice for fiscal and ethical accountability and our inclusive conservative message that one day I hope to take to Washington. I will remain active in my community and work hard to build a grassroots network of support. Together, we will achieve victory at the appropriate time.

Once again, thank you so much for your friendship and support. We have laid the groundwork for future success, and more importantly, our message has been heard.

Sincerely,

Jeff Cook

Paid for and authorized by Jeff Cook for Congress Exploratory Committee

My sources tell me he had only raised $40,000 and spent $30,000 of it at the last FEC report. But hey, what’s $60,000 among friends?

I admire Jeff for having the guts to run for Congress. I am completely baffled as to why you would take on an incumbent of your own party at such a young age. I don’t think it did him or his former boss, Patrick Guerriero, any favors with the majority party leadership on Capitol Hill.

GP Prediction — Jeff Cook will become at least an “independent” (if not a born-again Democrat) like former Republican state legislator Steve May or closeted liberal DC Congressman David Catania.

-Bruce (GayPatriot)

1. We have a young’un running for state representative here, Matt Shaner. He’s our neighbor. Nice guy, I’ve been to his headquarters and talked to him and the other folks working down there.

Comment by rightwingprof — March 28, 2006 @ 5:25 pm - March 28, 2006

2. You forget, GP, that David Catania ran against Marion Barry’s Democratic machine and won. That’s no small feat in our nation’s capital, and GOP leaders should have been proud of him. To their credit, they were — for a while. But they eventually drove Catania and other successful Gay politicians out of the party by touting the Federal Marriage Amendment. Catania’s criticism of today’s religious Republicans doesn’t make him a “closeted liberal.”

Comment by Tim Hulsey — March 28, 2006 @ 5:30 pm - March 28, 2006

3. No, Tim, it doesn’t. But his complete reversal on a variety of key Republican issues is. I sat and listened to his anti-GOP diatribe on every issue under the sun (including marriage, welfare, Medicare drug benefit, etc., etc.) shortly after he “found himself” and quit the GOP.

Catania’s overnight change from conservative-to-liberal positions across the board was quite astounding.

Comment by GayPatriot — March 28, 2006 @ 5:37 pm - March 28, 2006

4. Jeff is a committed conservative Republican. You would know that if you had followed his campaign. He made all of us proud…..I look forward to his election in the future.

Comment by Anon — March 28, 2006 @ 7:56 pm - March 28, 2006

5. 3: GP, you tend to claim that every critic of the president or the GOP must be a liberal by default. I regret to report that this tendency makes you somewhat less than credible on the subject. For the record, “liberal” or “leftist” does not mean “someone with whom I disagree.”

The only thing I’ve seen in Catania’s record that could be construed as “liberal” is his stance on drug prices in DC: Health care is his soft spot. In other areas, though, Catania has been pretty conservative: He has proposed tax incentives to stimulate economic growth, and he has opposed the new stadium (a classic misuse of eminent domain). Certainly Catania had the makings of a good Republican — and it’s too bad the party drove him out.

One other trivia question: When Catania ran against the Barry machine, guess which candidate the Washington Times endorsed? You guessed it — the machine candidate. You see, the Democrat was straight.

(But what did we expect from a paper owned by Sun Myung Moon? For that matter, what did we expect from Republicans? They’ve shown time and again that they’d rather defect to the Democrats than vote for an openly Gay candidate.)

Comment by Tim Hulsey — March 28, 2006 @ 9:46 pm - March 28, 2006

6. My brother is positioning himself for a run for the Michigan State Senate by working for the senator who currently holds the seat for his district. Scary, huh?

Comment by V the K — March 29, 2006 @ 8:01 pm - March 29, 2006

7. Too bad that David Catania has no problem supporting constitutional amendments to strip gays of rights when Democrats are pushing them.

Also, Catania’s immediate whoring for the Dems makes his “independent” stance rather unusual, doesn’t it?

Of course, there’s a reason Catania’s still pretending he’s not a Democrat; DC rules would require him to resign his position if he were. But, since he’s still prancing around raising money for Democratic homophobes, no one’s buying his “I’m an independent on principle” dance.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — March 29, 2006 @ 8:30 pm - March 29, 2006

8. 7: Catania isn’t mentioned in the first article you cite, ND30. I’m not going to hold his Kerry fundraising against him. After all, I voted for Bush in ’04, and that turned out to be a bone-headed idea, too.

The important thing is that, on DC civic issues, Catania doesn’t toe the Democratic line. He really is an independent.

Comment by Tim Hulsey — March 30, 2006 @ 2:43 pm - March 30, 2006

9. Of course not, Timmeh; he’s anti-Bush, and in your world, that’s all that matters.

Never mind the fact that he supposedly opposed Bush because Bush was against gay marriage, but then turned right around and supported John Kerry’s opposition to gay marriage with money.

But that’s OK, Timmeh; we all know you support homophobes as long as they’re anti-Bush.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — March 30, 2006 @ 5:19 pm - March 30, 2006

10. NDT – Kerry opposed the FMA and Bush supported the FMA – and that’s what Catania objected to.

I’m no fan of Kerry – and I think his flip flopping on the issue of gay marriage ended up hurting him. He opposed DOMA, then supported a Massachusettes amendment that banned gay marriage and allowed for civil unions.

Tim Hulsey is right – on this blog, any criticism of Bush is interpreted as liberal. That’s nonsense.

It will be interesting to see what the current FEC report says about Jeff’s fundraising.

Comment by Eva Young — April 2, 2006 @ 11:37 am - April 2, 2006