Illegal Immigration Must End!

I’m hoping that Americans get as excited and angry about the watered-down Senate immigration bill as they did about the Dubai ports sale. We have got to toughen our borders first, and worry about law-breaking refugees second. If you are in this country illegally, you should not have any rights under this nation’s Constitution. It is a pretty obvious conclusion.

I am a product of an immigrant family who came through Ellis Island in the early 1900s and did it legally. If the immigration process is cumbersome, good. We cannot absorb every refugee from every nation on earth into our country. It is impossible!

To give you an idea at what that might look like — just take a gander at the burning riots in France this year. Someday soon Los Angeles and New York will be under the same strain if we allow unfettered access to our country.

Please call your Senators today and urge them to toughen the weak and pathetic immigration bill that was passed out of the Senate Judiciary Committee yesterday. It doesn’t go far enough to protect America and to ensure that those who are here illegally are made to follow our laws and our Constitution. I have no more right to go to Switzerland and expect instant citizenship than those from Mexico or Canada do to come here and demand the same. Tell your Senator to support amendments making the Senate bill in line with the House-passed bill.

Finally, is there any doubt as the result of this story that illegal immigration is a security threat? This sounds like an hour episode out of “24” for crying out loud! (Hat tip: Polipundit)

Clinton chauffeur an illegal immigrant – UPI.com

Congress — wake up! We need a real fence, real enforcement of our exisiting immigration laws, and the balance on this issue needs to tip to national security, not political correctness sensibilities.

-Bruce (GayPatriot)

1. If the Republicans can’t pass a law to secure the borders they do not deserve a senate majority.

I don’t understand the mind-set of the pro-illegal immigration side of the debate. Do they really think that America is so underpopulated that we can take in a million illegal immigrants a year? Do they really think there isn’t enough traffic on our highways? Do they really think our schools are not crowded enough? Do they really think we need more urban sprawl? Do they think there is so much slack in our health care and social services systems that we need to bring in millions of illegals to pick up the slack?

And why do I never even hear those questions put to people like John McCain, Arlen Specter or George W Bush who are so eager to sell out America to the illegal immigration lobby?

Comment by V the K — March 28, 2006 @ 11:33 am - March 28, 2006

2. My family came over on the Mayflower – seriously (John Alden is my great, great, great, great….Grandfather).

Now, the rest of you, get the hell out of my country! 🙂

Comment by Robert — March 28, 2006 @ 11:39 am - March 28, 2006

3. “I have no more right to go to Switzerland and expect instant citizenship than those from Mexico or Canada do to come here and demand the same.”

Thank you. I’ve been trying to get this point across to friends for weeks. I’m met with replies of “racist” or “bigot.” I resent name-calling over wanting my leaders to protect my country.

I’ve ranted for weeks that I would be treated as a criminal in most countries if I illegally walked across their borders, demanded free services, told them I had no intention of leaving, and wanted to be addressed only in English.

Comment by Jay — March 28, 2006 @ 11:43 am - March 28, 2006

4. #2 — My mother’s family beat the Mayflower by 35 years. You get out of my country. 🙂

Comment by V the K — March 28, 2006 @ 11:45 am - March 28, 2006

5. Something’s wrong here. I agree with GP and V the K about something here. 🙂

I cannot fathom why the administration and Congress are weak when it comes to ILLEGAL immigration. And now I hear that some states, including my own are considering, or already are, granting driver’s licenses. The last time I renewed my license, I had to come back with all this identification to prove I was a legal resident.

I am definitely not anti-immigrant. But anyone who resides in this country should be here legally. Period.

Comment by Pat — March 28, 2006 @ 11:48 am - March 28, 2006

6. Great, a GOP catfight: the anti-immigrant nativists vs the low-cost labor business lobby. I’m gonna get me some popcorn!

Comment by Ian — March 28, 2006 @ 11:50 am - March 28, 2006

7. #5: “I cannot fathom why the administration and Congress are weak when it comes to ILLEGAL immigration.”

Just follow the money. What powerful and wealthy lobby benefits most from illegal immigrants?

Comment by Ian — March 28, 2006 @ 11:54 am - March 28, 2006

8. #6 — Because for you, of course, it’s not about what’s best for the country, it’s about whether your side is winning. That’s why you are Ignorant and nauseating.

Comment by V the K — March 28, 2006 @ 11:55 am - March 28, 2006

9. By the way, does anyone suspect that the reason Bush, McCain, and the other sell-outs want a “virtual” border wall instead of a physical one is because a physical wall will be there, day and night, guarding the border 24-7. Whereas, if it’s sensors and UAV’s, congress can always say, “Ooops, forgot to fund the border surveillance program. We’re only going to be able to watch 30% of the border this year. Oh, darn!”

Comment by V the K — March 28, 2006 @ 12:19 pm - March 28, 2006

10. I think they want a “virtual” wall instead of a physical wall because of the connotations of having a wall at all. I don’t think I’m that much older than most of you but the politicians tend to be quite a bit older than I am and they, and me too, grew up with the Berlin wall and the reality of totalitarian oppression that the wall represented.

Proof of our virtue *was* our undefended borders.

Heh. I’ve got an idea. Why don’t we tell Fox to secure Mexico’s borders or else we’ll just go ahead and annex Mexico and get it over with… since Fox seems to think his people are our citizens already.

You have to admit that it *would* solve the problem of illegal Mexicans. 😉

Comment by Synova — March 28, 2006 @ 12:37 pm - March 28, 2006

11. I agree with V also. Who are these people marching in favor of illegal immigrants anyway?
    All you have to do is look at France to see where this will lead us.
    And the excuse that there are “jobs that Americans won’t do”, is ridiculous.

Comment by hank — March 28, 2006 @ 12:38 pm - March 28, 2006

12. #8: What’s best for the country IS when my side is winning. And if GOP infighting helps drive corrupt and incompetent Republicans from office then that’s all the better.

Comment by Ian — March 28, 2006 @ 12:45 pm - March 28, 2006

13. Well, ignorant and nauseating, at least you admit to being a mindless partisan shill.

Comment by V the K — March 28, 2006 @ 12:47 pm - March 28, 2006

14. #11: “And the excuse that there are “jobs that Americans won’t do”, is ridiculous.”

But what’s NOT ridiculous is that there ARE “jobs that Americans won’t do” at the wages Mexicans will.

Comment by Ian — March 28, 2006 @ 12:48 pm - March 28, 2006

15. Ah, but you see, Ian, what YOUR side supports is immediate amnesty and complete legalization, with benefits, of anyone who walks in the door.

Just think; in a generation you can teach Mexican immigrants to be as helpless as you have black Americans.

Your hope has nothing to do with the country, and everything to do with creating a permanent underclass that you can control.

We’ve seen you do it with black Americans; black Americans who succeed in business and education are ridiculed as “acting white” and called “oreos” and “Uncle Toms”.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — March 28, 2006 @ 12:56 pm - March 28, 2006

16. #14 — Gee, Ignorant and Nauseating. I thought that party you mindlessly shill for was supposed to care about the working class workers whose wages are being held down by illegal immigrant labor. Paul Krugman estimates that illegal immigrant labor has brought down wages for African-American men 8% since 2000.

But, hey, as long as your guys are “winning,” who gives a sh*t about American workers. Isn’t that right, Ignorant and nauseating?

Comment by V the K — March 28, 2006 @ 12:56 pm - March 28, 2006

17. #4 – I think we can work out a “sharing” agreement. We just need to get rid of the rest of these jokers and we’ll have it made.

Comment by Robert — March 28, 2006 @ 1:19 pm - March 28, 2006

18. if you realy want to secure the borders, you make such that the people coming here have more incentive to stay home than come here – improve their economies

Comment by ralph — March 28, 2006 @ 1:20 pm - March 28, 2006

19. #16: Speaking of African Americans, isn’t this your handiwork
    http://tinyurl.com/gf8pk ? And this http://tinyurl.com/f84qv ?

Comment by Ian — March 28, 2006 @ 1:21 pm - March 28, 2006

20. And who cares if your family immigrated on the Mayflower. Mine came over on slave ships with millions dying. So throwing in this Mayflower means nothing to me and and adds little to the discussion. Keep it current.

IT WAS A JOKE. GET THAT STICK OUT OF YOUR ASS.

Comment by Robert — March 28, 2006 @ 1:21 pm - March 28, 2006

21. Chill, Robert. People are going to wonder who it is really has the stick in an uncomfortable spot.

Comment by Synova — March 28, 2006 @ 1:44 pm - March 28, 2006

22. Robert, you’re expecting witty humor-isms to be absorbed by the GayLeft? I was surprised that one of them –like GoB or Mr Mod– didn’t take you to task for disenfranchising the Indians… opps, Native Americans. BTW, they like to keep the stick there –some of them already count it as a LTR and argue it ought to qualify for civil union benefits.

Comment by Michigan-Matt — March 28, 2006 @ 1:47 pm - March 28, 2006

23. Mark Krikorian answers the “but our economy would shut down without illegal immigrants” line:

“At a Senate hearing in 1916, a mill owner said that limiting child labor would “stop my machines”; another said “investors would never receive another dividend”; while a third said that ending child labor would “paralyze the country.” Not using child labor has become a labor standard (without any of the ridiculous predictions coming true); the economy will also adjust to making legal status a similar labor standard.”

Comment by V the K — March 28, 2006 @ 2:33 pm - March 28, 2006

24. “Heh. I’ve got an idea. Why don’t we tell Fox to secure Mexico’s borders or else we’ll just go ahead and annex Mexico and get it over with… since Fox seems to think his people are our citizens already”

Synova, lady, you rock. You just rock. Something like this is already ahppening form the ground up anyway – lots of people go back to Mexico, sometimes for visits, sometimes permanently, and they are the ones with the money in the small towns and villages they return to. In one case some guy with a string of auto rpeair places in Mexico ran for and was elected mayor in some town in Zacatecas. OK. What kind of expectations do these Americanized returnees have of local government? How much corruption are they going to stand from pipsqueak local cops? How much longer are they going to tolerate being kiched around by the local big man?

The elephant in the middle of the living room is who benefits from migrants and immigrants being illegal. The smugglers benefit, and exploitive employers benefit. The advocacy groups are their goons. Bruce is bang on that the illegality is the real issue. It leaves people open to be used for other crimes, it funds a roaring smuggling industry, and it subsidizes unscrupulous employers.

Comment by Jim — March 28, 2006 @ 2:47 pm - March 28, 2006

25. #21 – I see reading comprehension is a class you must have missed.

Matt – Yes, I do get sucked into hoping the gay left can take a joke once-in-a-while. My bad.

Comment by Robert — March 28, 2006 @ 2:48 pm - March 28, 2006

26. #2 — My mother’s family beat the Mayflower by 35 years. You get out of my country.

My Father’s family beat the Mayflower by over 20,000 years.. So there!

Comment by Patrick (Gryph) — March 28, 2006 @ 2:49 pm - March 28, 2006

27. But anyone who resides in this country should be here legally.

And anyone who resides here, or demands the “right” to, should want to be an American — which rules out anyone who would fly or wave a Mexican flag in a protest.

Comment by rightwingprof — March 28, 2006 @ 2:54 pm - March 28, 2006

28. The elephant in the middle of the living room is who benefits from migrants and immigrants being illegal.

And the Mexican government benefits because remittances from illegal workers are their second largest source of revenue after oil.

Mexico is not a poor country. It is a horribly mismanaged country with vast chasms between rich and poor that — oddly enough — three generations of quasi-socialist government have only exacerbated. The Mexican elites love the fact that they can foist off their unwanted classes on the US, while preserving their wealth, privilege, and control of the national wealth.

Comment by V the K — March 28, 2006 @ 3:01 pm - March 28, 2006

29. Every time this issue comes up i just say, “Borders”. We should have some, don’t you think? And not just of the bookstore variety.

Comment by Patrick (Gryph) — March 28, 2006 @ 3:01 pm - March 28, 2006

30. V,

Right on all points, although I think the last three generations of socialists are just the same old feudal barons rebranded – about the only difference I can see between the two is that socialists tend to be sanctimonious while aristocrats are snobs.

Remittances are vitally important to the Mexican economy and ought to be the obvious pressure point in any discussion on immigration with that government.

You are quite right that Mexican elites rely on the safety valve that migration to the north provides. But it is coming around to bite them on the ass, for the reason I explained above.

Prof,

I agree with you too about waving the Mexican flag – sentimental reasons are one thing – Cinco de Mayo, whatever; political reasons are something quite different.

Comment by Jim — March 28, 2006 @ 3:14 pm - March 28, 2006

31. if you realy want to secure the borders, you make such that the people coming here have more incentive to stay home than come here – improve their economies

Or we make it more painful for them to come here than it is to sit at home and improve their own economies.

The main reason Mexico hasn’t collapsed in an orgy of revolution has more to do with the fact that the US acts as their primary safety valve for people not starving to death than it does anything else.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — March 28, 2006 @ 3:17 pm - March 28, 2006

32. I’m going to jump into the fray. Currently, I work in the immigration field. Roughly 95% of my firm’s clients are Hispanic and of “questionable” (the phrase we like to use) immigration status. Clearly, I have an interest in the outcome of the proposed legislation.

The majority of our clients are blue collar workers. Some training is usually required for the job but, by defination, it is manual labor. Wages are low but not lower than minimum wage. A landscaper can expect to make about $8/hour while a welder can expect around $15/hour. The majority of employers are small businesses. There is a minority of 100+ employee firms but the majority of companies are less than 20 employees. Wages paid are split roughly 50/50. Half are paid completely under the table with no taxes withheld. The other half are paid with fake SSN so taxes and withholdings are done.

We do alot of labor certifications which require advertising the job. Advertising requires 2 consecutive Sundays, 30 days at the state workforce commission and an office posting. It is a rare thing when applications are submitted. If by some miracle an application is submitted the person is usually not qualified.

On top of this, the low availablity of visas aren’t helping. Unskilled labor only has about 10k visas for the entire US. Skilled labor is higher but not even close to filling the available jobs. (I can’t remember the skilled visa quota and I’m too lazy to look it up at the moment.)

It is not pratical to send millions of people back to their country of origin. Too many business, especially small businesses, would be put out of business. On top of that children born here are US citizens at birth. You can’t deport a citizen as to do so would be a violation of the 8th amendment (cruel and unusual). I doubt the American public is willing to put millions of kids in foster care because their parents were deported.

The solution? I would hazard a guess that the solution lays in increasing visas to a reasonable level, requiring registration of those undocumented aliens already here, payment of back taxes and fines, guest worker programs, forcing Mexico to take responsibilty for their side of the border and making it harder for employers to use undocumented worker.

Sorry for the long post.

Comment by cb — March 28, 2006 @ 3:22 pm - March 28, 2006

33. I think the last three generations of socialists are just the same old feudal barons rebranded – about the only difference I can see between the two is that socialists tend to be sanctimonious while aristocrats are snobs.

That’s true of any socialist “revolution.” The same socialists who run Europe come largely from the same titled and landed elites that have always ruled Europe. Castro is no less a tyrant than Batista.

Of course, in the US, with the Bush, Kennedy, Gore, and other dynasties, we have less and less to brag about. Our ruling classes are becoming increasing dynastic, and our political class increasingly permanent.

Comment by V the K — March 28, 2006 @ 3:25 pm - March 28, 2006

34. #25 I can read. I just thought that your response was out of proportion to what was actually a rather mild statement. AND IN ALL CAPS TOO.

Comment by Synova — March 28, 2006 @ 3:26 pm - March 28, 2006

35. I keep thinking back to the comment El Presidente Fox said that drew the ire from Jackson, Sharpton, Farrakhan and the rest of the poverty pimps living WAY WAY WAY outside the ‘hood:

“Mexicans will take the jobs that blacks won’t ever do.”

Truth hurts, doesn’t it? Why do you think so many of the “Klan with a Tan” got their afros out of shape? Because maybe there’s a little truth to it.

And the minute the demoncRATS convince Hispanics that they are best served going on the dole and whining about how everything is so unfair when Uncle Sam is paying all the bills, then the RATS will declare victory in that arena. And Ignorant And Nauseating will be in nirvana.

Politics – gotta love it!

Regards,
    Peter Hughes

Comment by Peter Hughes — March 28, 2006 @ 3:33 pm - March 28, 2006

36. #35 — Our culture is kind of f***ed up when it comes to work ethic. Our educational system is built around the idea that all kids should be trained to become doctors, lawyers, teachers… Our system is built around a certain snobbery that looks down on skilled trades like plumbers, roofers, carpenters, mechanics and so on. Minorities, especially, are drilled that physical or skilled labor is beneath them.

While I believe that human scumbags come in all skin tones, got to admit I don’t see a while lotta Latinos hanging out at the intersection with “Will Work For Food” signs. I see ’em selling flowers at the intersections, and I see ’em in front of the Home Depot… but I don’t see ’em begging.

However, I stand by my point #1. The country’s too damb crowded, and our social and physical infrastructure is over capacity. Control the damb borders.

Comment by V the K — March 28, 2006 @ 3:51 pm - March 28, 2006

37. I am not totally opposed to an amnesty, but I think you have to control the borders and have a zero tolerance policy towards illegal immigration-holding both illegals and those who hire them accountable in order for it to work. I am not convinced our government is willing to do this.

Comment by just me — March 28, 2006 @ 4:02 pm - March 28, 2006

38. #36 V the K,

You are exactly correct. Somewhere our country got the idea the that vo-tech training was unacceptable. Not everyone has the want/desire to go to a traditional college. I about fell out of my chair when a friend’s husband told me that at his dealership (he’s a GM) the starting salary for a mechanic is over $40k a year! Yes, that’s starting…he added a mechanic with experience can make over a $100k a year.

Even though I support of increased immigration, I would also happily support funding for vo-tech education at the high school level.

Comment by cb — March 28, 2006 @ 4:14 pm - March 28, 2006

39. For me, Milton Friedman said it best: You cannot have both open borders and a welfare system.”

And Bruce is right, the Administration needs to get real serious, real fast about our insecure borders. I say take every cent at NASA and NOAA and the EPA and Education and Commerce –put it all into border security, illegal immigrant disposition, and finding the right balance between workforce needs and national security protections.

Without borders, there’s no “us” or “them”… and for this point in the world’s history, we need to attend to that difference out of self-preservation.

Comment by Michigan-Matt — March 28, 2006 @ 4:16 pm - March 28, 2006

40. Most of the problems we are having could be controlled down the road with better boarder control. We can worry about the illegal immigrants after we stop new ones from coming into this country. As for the subject of those illegal immigrants being the only ones who will do the manual labor jobs. BULL!!!! I lost my job in 2001, and had an extremely hard time finding a new one. I would have taken anything! And a lot of people I knew were going through the same thing. It took me 4 months to find a job. Four months with absolutely NO MONEY coming into my home. I was practically starving, and if it wasn’t for an understanding landlord, I’d have been on the streets. The place I finally ended up getting a job at had so many Mexican employees it wasn’t even funny. All I could think was, I’d have given anything to have one of those jobs months ago. As an American citizen born and raised here. I had the right to have one of those jobs first. And many other Americans are faced with the same problem I had every single day. Many Americans would be glad to just have a job. When you’re hungry, nothing is beneath you.

Comment by patsy — March 28, 2006 @ 4:20 pm - March 28, 2006

41. Agreed, Patsy.

But the problem is that welfare in our country pays nearly as well, has no performance reviews, and exists in perpetuity. All you need is the right skin color and any attempt to remove you from it will be greeted with cries of “racism”.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — March 28, 2006 @ 4:30 pm - March 28, 2006

42. VtheK-you are so right on how our educational system tends to over emphasize college. The reality is that not every kid needs to go to college.

I think the snobbery comes from when the educational elite decided tracking was bad (and tracking the way it was done, was bad, but at least they had good vo-tech programs back then), and they stopped doing it, but in the proccess they also tossed out the vo-tech courses (and least useful ones) in favor of a college or something other than college but you may not have anything other than a diploma track for everyone.

I would love to see high schools reemphasize vo-tech, so that kids who know they aren’t interested in college can opt to go ahead and learn something that makes them employable.

Oh, and if you think what the mechanic makes is insane, you should check out what plumbers and electricians make.

Comment by just me — March 28, 2006 @ 5:01 pm - March 28, 2006

43. What powerful and wealthy lobby benefits most from illegal immigrants?

Democrats.

Comment by rightwingprof — March 28, 2006 @ 5:35 pm - March 28, 2006

44. if you realy want to secure the borders, you make such that the people coming here have more incentive to stay home than come here – improve their economies

So now we’re responsible for other nations’ economies? And how, exactly, would you do this? Throw money at them? Note how well that has worked in Africa.

Comment by rightwingprof — March 28, 2006 @ 5:37 pm - March 28, 2006

45. Let’s just invade Mexico and annex them. Wouldn’t that make the illegals and the Libs happy?

Comment by GayPatriot — March 28, 2006 @ 5:38 pm - March 28, 2006

46. GP, if that were to happen… the Democrats would be in power for the balance of the century and English would be a co-equal language.

Comment by Michigan-Matt — March 28, 2006 @ 5:41 pm - March 28, 2006

47. And here is my solution to the immigration problem.

Comment by rightwingprof — March 28, 2006 @ 5:51 pm - March 28, 2006

48. Let’s just invade Mexico and annex them. Wouldn’t that make the illegals and the Libs happy?

I’d rather just surrender California in return for walling off what’s left of the southwest.

Comment by V the K — March 28, 2006 @ 6:06 pm - March 28, 2006

49. Um…. V the K, would I then get preferred immigration status?

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — March 28, 2006 @ 6:24 pm - March 28, 2006

50. “if you realy want to secure the borders, you make such that the people coming here have more incentive to stay home than come here – improve their economies”

Nice rhetoric. How, exactly? With rampant corruption and a system guaranteed to leave the wealth in the hands of a few in Mexico, just how do you propose going about doing this? Pre-emptive invasion perhaps for another lil’ adventure in nation-building? Pouring billions of dollars into their economy which the lil’ guy in Mexico will never see?

“In one sense they are – considering the billions that illegal immigrants ship home to support their families and improve their lot. Maybe in time we will have less illegal immigrants coming to USA.”

Hardly. With the safety valve illegal immigration provides the elite in Mexico the status quo will be maintained practically indefinitely. It is no surprise why Mexico and other Latin American countries fight so hard against immigration reform: money sent home by illegals make up a significant portion of their GDP.

“And who cares if your family immigrated on the Mayflower. Mine came over on slave ships with millions dying. So throwing in this Mayflower means nothing to me and and adds little to the discussion. Keep it current.”

I wanna play! While your ancestors were in chains, mine were having a jolly good time with the Brits in Ireland. Both of us have benefited greatly from our ancestors coming the States given that West Africa and Ireland (until very recently) do not compare to the US in quality of life, economic potential, and civil liberties. Btw, “millions” is a gross overstatement. Try perhaps thousands. As sick as their reasoning is to us today, slave traders were in the business to make a profit which “millions” being murdered en route would seriously cut into…

“I don’t want to hand out rewards for people breaking the law, but for that time that they are here illegal needs to do something to protect me. Biggest pet peeve illegal immigrants who can not drive and wreaking havoc on my road ways.”

Like the nearly 15 out of 19 9/11 hijackers who had such drivers licenses? We do not have a national ID card so handing out these licenses to whomever really puts a kink into security — ditto for the bogus Mexican consulate IDs. I support a guest-worker program, even leading to citizenship, but when it comes to security no dice. I’m pragmatic enough to know that 10 million+ people are simply not going to be booted out no matter what anyone says. The media and politicians will ensure that. Besides some of these people I have known and would make good citizens one day, being industrious workers. Yet I do want to see the border controlled, backround checks made on illegals here already, tougher penalties against employers hiring illegals, etc.

Comment by Average Gay Joe — March 28, 2006 @ 7:23 pm - March 28, 2006

51. 45: Let’s just invade Mexico and annex them. Wouldn’t that make the illegals and the Libs happy?

GP, we already did that.

It’s funny how no one has discussed our unprotected northern border — even though that’s where terrorists are entering the US.

Comment by Tim Hulsey — March 28, 2006 @ 11:15 pm - March 28, 2006

52. #32
    Thank you, cb, for your common sense.

I’d like to add this, for a wider look at hispanics in the US.

My favorite part:

So here’s the good news: Having an immigration problem is a marker of being a successful, vibrant society. And if you have to have an immigration problem, ours is the one to have.
    Just about half of our recent legal immigrants and about 80 percent of our illegals are from Mexico and the Southern Americas. Which means that they come from cultures that share the roots of Western liberalism: monogamy, pluralism, respect for women’s legal rights, religious tolerance.(emphasis added)

Comment by John — March 28, 2006 @ 11:56 pm - March 28, 2006

53. many of you seem to be working under some misguided idea that the welfare rolls have been since time immemorial been populated with poor brown-skinned people. Truth is for years through the 90s the welfare rolls have been populated with white women and their offspring. One too many of you bought into a Reagan speech which had no basis in reality.

Would it be too much to ask for some fact checking before making such grossly inaccurate statements 🙂

Comment by ralph — March 29, 2006 @ 1:36 am - March 29, 2006

54. It’s not illegal to be in this country without documentation. You just aren’t supposed to be here and will be ejected.

But it’s not a crime.

“Illegal alien” is a misnomer made up by xenophobes…ironically, by people whose ancestors probably weren’t undocumented because they were welcome here.

The work-only permits are ridiculous. We’ll let them do jobs that citizens don’t want to do, we’ll pay them but we’ll happily take taxes from their wages, and they’ll never have a chance through this route to become a permanent resident or citizen.

Someone once said, “no taxation without representation”. I guess that one goes into the neocon revisionist history trashcan with “bring my your tired, your poor, your huddled masses”, eh?

No really, the barbed wire and armed guards look terrific on that Golden Door.

Comment by God of Biscuits — March 29, 2006 @ 5:01 am - March 29, 2006

55. So, ralph and Gob, how do you answer my questions from #1? Is America is so underpopulated that we can take in a million illegal immigrants a year? Is there not enough traffic on our highways? Are our schools are not crowded enough? Do we need more urban sprawl? Is there so much slack in our health care and social services systems that we need to bring in millions of illegals to pick up the slack?

Can you answer real-world questions, or do you have nothing to bring to the debate but bumper-stickers?

Comment by V the K — March 29, 2006 @ 5:32 am - March 29, 2006

56. ralph, “Would it be too much to ask for some fact checking before making such grossly inaccurate statements”?

Actually YOU need to some research on the welfare rolls and client subscriptions –I love how welfare workers talk about “clients” and “program subscriptions”.

Before Michigan’s former GOP Governor axed the Democrats’ general assistance welfare programs in Michigan, “brown skinned” clients amounted to 44% of all recipients –which is ridiculous because they were only 11.7% of Michigan’s entire population. When you remove women as head of households from that stat, it jumps to 61% on general assistance were “brown skinned”.

Sorry, the total number of white women on general assistance prior to Michigan eliminating the onerous, addictive, debilitating program was higher but that was because they represent a larger pool in the population.

Comment by Michigan-Matt — March 29, 2006 @ 9:26 am - March 29, 2006

57. VdaK, GoB would answer it this way… rather than scream about borders and illegal aliens, we need to change our laws so that sexual offenders CAN live closer to elementary schools because a sex offender’s right to live where ever he/she wants is being abridged by these silly laws. Immigration isn’t important; convicted sex offenders being able to live near schools trumps it.

No kidding. It’s HIS issue.

And GoB, you got it wrong again. Being in this country without proper documentation and entry is a federal offense punishable by up to 5 years in prison and a $10,000 fine –and it has been ever since Pres Johnson signed the Illegal Alien and Worker Defense Act in 1964.

Comment by Michigan-Matt — March 29, 2006 @ 9:32 am - March 29, 2006

58. Web Reconnaissance for 03/29/2006

A short recon of what?s out there that might draw your attention. Today focusing on Illegal Immigration and what isn?t being done about it. (With an American Soldier update at the end)

Trackback by The Thunder Run — March 29, 2006 @ 9:58 am - March 29, 2006

59. Thanks for the link, John.

Comment by cb — March 29, 2006 @ 11:44 am - March 29, 2006

60. […] Rarely do I link to, or comment on, a comment thread on another blog. But I’m going to do it today. On an immigration article by Gay Patriot, we see this in a liberal’s comment: […]

Pingback by Right Wing Nation » Blog Archive » Games Liberals Play — March 29, 2006 @ 11:49 am - March 29, 2006

61. “What powerful and wealthy lobby benefits most from illegal immigrants?”

“Democrats”

Uh, no. Try Tyson’s. Ot the Archdiocese of Las Angles. The Democrats don’t have the ass these days to tie anything up in knots, especially the immigration debate.

Comment by Jim — March 29, 2006 @ 12:41 pm - March 29, 2006

62. Oops. Didn’t put in the link. Duh.

Here’s my suggestion for illegal immigration.

Comment by rightwingprof — March 29, 2006 @ 1:14 pm - March 29, 2006

63. Try Tyson’s. Ot the Archdiocese of Las Angles.

Call me when Tyson’s or the Archdiocese runs for office. Illegals vote for whoever will promise them the most benefits, drivers licenses, etc.

That’s Democrats. And RINOs.

Comment by rightwingprof — March 29, 2006 @ 1:17 pm - March 29, 2006

64. And this is also why Democrats fight so hard to prevent people from having to show identification to vote.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — March 29, 2006 @ 1:24 pm - March 29, 2006

65. 63: Illegal immigrants can’t vote, rwp.

Comment by Tim Hulsey — March 29, 2006 @ 1:26 pm - March 29, 2006

66. 63: Illegal immigrants can’t vote, rwp.

Tell that to Christine Fraudoire, Antonio Villaraigosa, and Loretta Sanchez.

Comment by V the K — March 29, 2006 @ 1:36 pm - March 29, 2006

67. Illegal immigrants can’t vote, rwp.

Sure they can, as long as you don’t require ID at the polls. Just ask Daley.

Comment by rightwingprof — March 29, 2006 @ 2:10 pm - March 29, 2006

68. Heck, most illegal immigrants have two MORE things than the Democrat Daley base — a pulse and the ability to walk to the polls.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — March 29, 2006 @ 5:44 pm - March 29, 2006

69. #68 LOL

AGJ – correct me if I am wrong but i did not think the hijackers walkers walked into a DMV to get an ID, I thought this was done through backchannels.

But your point is taken, there is a flaw in issuing IDs, which I could recall the details is illustrated quite clearly in my brother’s attempt to renew his passport before our European vacation.

MichMatt: on the welfare rolls:

This is the census data I use (state by state it may vary):
    Among the poorest of the poor–single mothers, living below the poverty line with minor children to support 39.7 percent of AFDC clients are Black single mothers and 38.1 percent are White women with children. Food stamp recipients are 37.2 percent Black and 46.2 percent White. Medicaid benefits are paid to 27.5 percent Black recipients compared to 48.5 percent White clients.

I use the 90s and more specifically the mid90s welfare reform as my cutoff point because the numbers change after enactment.

I am not going to dwell on because at the core the argument is a disproportiate representation. Problems is no one can go around saying that the welfare rolls are disproportionately this or that as it pretty much implies that it is acceptable to have some number of people on welfare, which no one wants to buy especially the guy who actually worked for his income.

On the whole let’s take a step back and recall that people crossing the border are only part of the problem. Individuals coming on student visa who are suppose to be taking acquired knowledge back home are also part of the problem.

How do I answer the undocumented question? Well, I do know there is no politician dumb enough to toss out the illegals and separate families and alienate the voting constituency of the family. Self preservation is something politicos are very good at doing, work and doing the job they are paid to do is a whole different ballgame. I support guest worker programs and ways to earn citizenship once here.

On schools and urban sprawl I don’t know how many children are illegal versus the born in the US product of illegals. Jr. is now a US citizen entitled to all the rights and privileges…

On health care, i’m not sure of the cost of the uninsured versus cost the old and the cost of care for advances in technology. To the extent that the only people coming are young and healthy there is no drain on the health care system. To the extent that they are men, who, statistically, use the healthcare system less, there is little drain.

Heck for all I know they may not be a problem on the road but everytime I hear a story of a single car multiple deaths accident on N-101 at 4:30 in the morning it tends to be undocumented farm workers.

Comment by ralph — March 29, 2006 @ 11:49 pm - March 29, 2006

70. land mine the border and burn the mexican flag in protest.

I am angry. You want rights? Act responsibly, and even fake loving this country, but displaying a foreign flag and blocking our roadways, commerce in essence? I’m sickened and want you all out now…it backfired.

Comment by soldierguy — March 30, 2006 @ 12:24 am - March 30, 2006

71. ralph, if you want to use mid-90’s census data rather than actual welfare client stats to back up your statement, go ahead. I think you got the point tho’ given you go on to speak about blacks-browns being a disproportionate percentage of those on welfare –40% of those on AFDC are black women but they make up only 9% of the population?

So, let’s just say you were wrong when you wrote: “many of you seem to be working under some misguided idea that the welfare rolls have been since time immemorial been populated with poor brown-skinned people. Truth is for years through the 90s the welfare rolls have been populated with white women and their offspring. One too many of you bought into a Reagan speech which had no basis in reality.

And that sneering slam about “fact checking” was meant tongue-in-cheek and not as a prescription for your own behavoir?

Comment by Michigan-Matt — March 30, 2006 @ 9:39 am - March 30, 2006

72. If you’ll notice, ralph never has any facts to back up his claims. He just goes on what he thinks ought to be true.

Comment by V the K — March 30, 2006 @ 11:34 am - March 30, 2006

73. That’s the liberal modus operandi, V da K. If a liberal FEELS that it is true, then it IS true, facts be damned. The product of “outcome-based education,” that is.

So following liberal thinking (I know, a contradiction in terms), if I FELT that Hillary was the anti-Christ, then she IS. Oh, wait, too easy…

Regards,
    Peter Hughes

Comment by Peter Hughes — March 30, 2006 @ 12:19 pm - March 30, 2006

74. Hey Matt, you can start by fucking off. Do NOT put words in my mouth, you insecure asshole! How many times are you going to accuse me of pedophilia or supporting pedophiles? You’re the kind of person they invented the redundant phrase “reading for comprehension”, because you seem to only scan for alarmist words and then go off your fucking rocker.

I live in one of the most densely populated parts of the country. I’ve also been to Colorado and much of the midwest. it’s a BIG BIG country. And those people would be contributing to the economy, both by paying taxes and by spending their money. I’ve seen it happen in rural Colorado.

Do you have a problem with white people and other “right kind” people having more babies? Would you have the state set limits on them? no? Then your population argument is specious.

You’re just afraid of becoming a second kind of minority.

Comment by God of Biscuits — March 31, 2006 @ 3:04 am - March 31, 2006

75. GoB, wow.

I think some time with an “issues counselor” would do you some real good. Honest, that last one is so over-the-top you probably had to use Helium to get there that fast.

I don’t follow your rant: who do you mean by “those people”… and what does living in Colorado or the Midwest have to do with your repeated preference for protecting sexual predators’ ability to live near playgrounds, schools, libraries and nurseries?

I have no problem with anyone of legal age, married and able to support their children having kids. My argument isn’t specious –it just doesn’t conform to your limited, parochial, GayLeft world.

Am I afraid of becoming a minority? Nope. I felt racial discrimination when I applied for college, when I applied for financial aid, when I applied for grad school and when I applied for financial aid in grad school. Racial discrimination, GoB, isn’t limited to minorities.

And as an Irish Catholic, conservative, Republican gay man, I’m used to being in the minority –so, take a moment and speak with your “issues counselor” and then you can go back to defending the right of sexual predators to live near schools.

Comment by Michigan-Matt — March 31, 2006 @ 9:41 am - March 31, 2006

76. #75 – Well put, Michigan-Matt. GoB is a lost cause.

Regards,
    Peter Hughes

Comment by Peter Hughes — March 31, 2006 @ 11:29 am - March 31, 2006

77. Thanks Peter, but even the king’s fool deserves an education. We just have to get GoB out of that silly tri-fold hat with bells.

Comment by Michigan-Matt — March 31, 2006 @ 2:42 pm - March 31, 2006

78. #75 Well put. Besides, I speak Spanish myself so ni modo… 😉

Comment by Average Gay Joe — March 31, 2006 @ 8:42 pm - March 31, 2006

79. VdaK, not to be insensitive to your limited abilities of comprehension, but my argument was cleverly couched to cover a period of time and not today.

Specifically, if you go back and read some of the posts, not always said but there in play view is a misconception that African-Americans have always been the majority of the welfare rolls. All I did was point out this has not been the case and put a stake in the ground as to when the statistics began to change. The point is disproportionate representation, even ol’ MM seems to get that point.

Comment by ralph — April 2, 2006 @ 10:36 pm - April 2, 2006

80. Right wing prof, just say your response. No I would not throw money at the ruling class in poor countries. That money somehow never seems to make it into the hands of those who need it. I would however export jobs and see to it that their foreign born and US educated took that knowledge back home when their student visa expired.

Comment by ralph — April 10, 2006 @ 1:59 am - April 10, 2006

81. The American National Anthem

Oh Jose cant you see, we’re tired of supporting thee.

When you snuck acrossed the border, it began an illegal plight.

Over broad stripes and bright stars, We’ll continue to Fight.

Mexican Flags we did watch, that were so sadly streaming.

Our tempers did flare, with Mexican’s everywhere.

Gave proof to the nite, we must send them back there.

O say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave.

For the land of the U. S. Citizen and the home of the American’s.

written and produced by U.S. Citizens