Idol Mutterings

Posted by Bruce Carroll at 11:39 am - March 29, 2006.
Filed under: Movies/Film & TV

I just finished reading Robbie’s spot-on review of last night’s American Idol. And it got me all fired up and angry again about this horrible Idol season, as I alluded to earlier. It didn’t help that as I was reading it, I was also talking about the horrible show to a former work colleague back in Washington, DC who is a fellow Idol-maniac.

But this year is just painful. It doesn’t help that I thought this year’s final crop — especially the guys — held the most promise. But as the field of contestant thins, the lack of vocal talent becomes more apparent. It has gotten so bad that I thought Taylor Hicks’ had the best vocals last night. And he drives me crazy because he is either retarded, spastic or both.

As for Ace…. dude, cut the hair. You look like a girl now and that ain’t “smoldering.”

Even my favorites Kelly Pickler and Chris Daughtry were not at the top of their game last night. I still think Chris is the one to beat, but his increasing move to head-banging has begun to grate on me.

My advice for you fellow Idol fans experiencing bleeding from your ears this year….. turn to the USA Network on Tuesdays at 10pm after the amateurs at FOX are done trying to pretend they can sing.

-Bruce (GayPatriot)

1. Ace looks hot. Chris probably has the best vocals and the most talent, i like Taylor Hicks he brings that old southern rock to the show.

Comment by Robert Bayn — March 29, 2006 @ 12:06 pm - March 29, 2006

2. Ace gives me the creeps. I hate him.

There’s some excellent voices this season. Elliot. Katharine. Mahndisa. Chris. Even Paris. But last night was painful.

I don’t see that this season’s Nashville Star is much better (I watch both programs). Nobody this year is very good.

Comment by rightwingprof — March 29, 2006 @ 1:54 pm - March 29, 2006

3. Kellie Pickler needs to go away…

Comment by Chad — March 29, 2006 @ 3:03 pm - March 29, 2006

4. She’s no Carrie Underwood.

Comment by rightwingprof — March 29, 2006 @ 4:01 pm - March 29, 2006

5. more about LCR, please. i love venom.

Comment by jimmy — March 29, 2006 @ 8:47 pm - March 29, 2006

6. You are a dumb fk to think Taylor is spastic. You like kellie the prostitute?. And you like screamer chris?

Are you musically challenged? Stop writing about american idol please.

You do not know anything about music.

Taylor is a legend in making.

go check taylor audition videos in http://www.gofish.com

Nobody is superstar but Taylor has a passion for music. If you like music , you have to like Taylor.

If you don’t like Taylor , you have serious problem in your brain!.

Comment by Alex — March 29, 2006 @ 11:09 pm - March 29, 2006

7. I think her name is Kellie, and she’s a bad singer. She sang Patsy Cline with a French accent. Even Simon has said that her singing isn’t what is supposed to be great about her, it’s her “likeable” personality. I noticed how toned down the personality was this week.

As for how horrible this season supposedly is – people say that every season. Did you honestly think that showtunes night or 90’s night last season were any better? Was sitting through weeks of Constantine or Scott really that exciting? The problem with this season is the theme nights, and that so many of the performers have to deal with such contradictory “advice” from the judges. They told Chris he was great because he stayed who he was, and then the next week, they tell Chris he needs to be more diverse. They repeatedly told Paris she was too “old” in her performances. Paris picks a song that is from Beyonce, and Simon pans her as “precocious”. Simon tells Paula that this isn’t a dancing competition, and then the next week, he pans Elliott for his dancing. Well which is it, judges?

I think that some of the people on the show this season are very talented. And I think Elliott is an amazing vocalist, certainly much better than Kellie, and he has had much less airtime than she has had to get people to vote for her. He has pretty serious diabetes and has to wear an insulin pump, he can’t see that well due to his diabetes, and he still goes out there and does a great job every week. I’ve voted for him some, and will keep doing so as long as he does a good job.

Comment by Carl — March 30, 2006 @ 6:25 am - March 30, 2006

8. Something else I’m trying to remember…last season, GP, didn’t you root for Travis Tucker? The people this season aren’t any worse than he was. I think some of them are probably better.

Comment by Carl — March 30, 2006 @ 8:10 am - March 30, 2006

9. If you don’t like Taylor , you have serious problem in your brain!.

Take your meds before you hurt yourself.

Comment by rightwingprof — March 30, 2006 @ 10:51 am - March 30, 2006