NBC’s War On America — The NASCAR Battle

Posted by Bruce Carroll at 10:11 am - April 6, 2006.
Filed under: Media Bias,NASCAR

NBC News was exposed on Tuesday by Michelle Malkin for its blatant and racist attempts to stigmatize millions of Americans who love NASCAR.

GayPatriot reader Neil was pissed and emailed, “I’ve got news for NBC…try sending these same [Muslim-looking] guys to a social gathering on the Upper East Side, or better yet, to a Hollywood benefit and see how THEY react.” Or a cocktail party in Chelsea or Dupont Circle, perhaps?

On Wednesday, NASCAR struck back hard.

“This is outrageous for a news organization with the reputation of NBC to stoop to the level of attempting to create news instead of reporting it. Any legitimate journalist should be ashamed.” -Ramsey Poston, managing director of corporate communications at NASCAR

NBC is lazy. Neil really has the right idea. A really creative Dateline “sting” would be a non-Liberal/PC take on this idea… how about sending a Orthodox Jew into a mosque? Instead of dirty looks, there may well be the need to call an ambulance.

If NBC really wants to get an angry reaction out of NASCAR fans, they should have people walking around with Hillary masks.

-Bruce (GayPatriot)

1. I read now that NBC is calling off the sting. Now they can go back to blowing up pick-ups and forging memos from the 1970s.

Comment by V the K — April 6, 2006 @ 2:13 pm - April 6, 2006

2. Poor liberals, always tilting at “hate crime” windmills instead of dealing with those who actually do hate us — and kill us.

Idiots.

Comment by rightwingprof — April 6, 2006 @ 2:54 pm - April 6, 2006

3. NBC should go one step further – follow a gay conservative around at either an HRC or AmFar gathering. Let’s see some serious hysterics.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — April 6, 2006 @ 4:06 pm - April 6, 2006

4. Or how about sending a white person to a Cynthia McKinney or Louis Farrakhan rally?

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — April 6, 2006 @ 4:11 pm - April 6, 2006

5. The ironic thing, is that the “sting” presumes certain stereotypes about bigots are true. And of course NASCAR is followed mostly in the South and all those red states-it is the perfect place to find all the bigots.

So essentially NBS is showing its own brand of bigotry here.

Oh, and while I think the Jewish man walking into the Mosque would be the most telling sting, I would certainly feel poorly for the guy who volunteered for the job. I suspect he would be much less received than Muslims attending a NASCAR event.

Comment by just me — April 6, 2006 @ 4:58 pm - April 6, 2006

6. This is the second time they’ve tried it, too. The first time, nothing happened, so they’ll keep trying until something does.

They should send Orthodox Jews into a Mosque or an ANSWER rally and see what happens there.

Comment by Jordan — April 6, 2006 @ 9:06 pm - April 6, 2006

7. How about sending a gay man to Macon County?

Comment by God of Biscuits — April 7, 2006 @ 3:33 am - April 7, 2006

8. How about sending a gay man to Macon County?

Macon County is a very nice place. I’ve been many times. I’ve never had any problem with anyone, but don’t let that destroy your poor little victim fantasy.

Comment by rightwingprof — April 7, 2006 @ 7:48 am - April 7, 2006

9. Regarding “RWP’s” comment, all of my relatives are (or were–most of them are dead by now) from the south. There’s a “southern hospitality” that would greet you nicely, be pleasant to your face, and talk about you viciously behind your back if you’re “deficient.” That applies to gay people, but also to anyone else who they perceive to be “different.”

On the subject matter of the post, NBC is owned by General Electric. It used to be that people who didn’t like what NBC was doing could boycott GE products by refusing to buy their small appliances. GE figured out a way to get around that–they sold their small appliance division to Black&Decker. I don’t know if the B&D small appliance division is still in business, but, if they are, it is likely that most of the products are made in China.

Comment by raj — April 7, 2006 @ 9:25 am - April 7, 2006

10. raj said…

“So, the NASCARians really can’t affect GE for NBC’s slight. So much for globalization.”

Is it just me, or have I witnessed yet another example of how unadulterated idiotarianism calls for the belief that “THE CORPORATION” is somehow analogous to the anti-Christ?

The Genius also observed…

“There’s a “southern hospitality” that would greet you nicely, be pleasant to your face, and talk about you viciously behind your back if you’re “deficient.”

Apparently, raj is either not gay, or he’s never spent any time at all in a gay bar. If he had, he’d know that our community invented backbiting. The New Castrati, however, elevated it to an art form.

As for “God of Bullshit Bisquits”, might I suggest this delusional, self-loathing young man actually visit those portions of America he sees as beneath him. Otherwise, his arrogance just seems all the more lacking in substance.

Eric in Hollywood

Comment by HollywoodNeoCon — April 7, 2006 @ 9:53 am - April 7, 2006

11. Well put, Eric. Thanks for saying exactly what I was thinking when I read his idiotic posts.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — April 7, 2006 @ 9:59 am - April 7, 2006

12. Comment by HollywoodNeoCon — April 7, 2006 @ 9:53 am – April 7, 2006

Comment by raj — April 7, 2006 @ 10:18 am - April 7, 2006

13. I’d much rather live in Macon County — or where I live now, in very conservative central Pennsylvania — than in NYC, Chicago, Boston, or SF.

In fact, nothing would ever convince me to live in any of those liberal hell-holes.

Comment by rightwingprof — April 7, 2006 @ 10:37 am - April 7, 2006

14. raj asked…

“And, your proposal for getting back at GE for its NBC division’s slight to the NASCARians is, precisely, what?”

Raj, I don’t have a proposal for “getting back” at GE. What I would ask you to consider is that for most (if not all) of us on the right, the fact that NBC has been smacked down by the blogosphere on this issue is satisfaction enough. I don’t watch NBC news to begin with (nor any other MSM network, for that matter), having lost respect for that particular forum quite some time ago.

As for GE, I like to think I’m smart enough to know that when I buy a light bulb, I’m not tacitly supporting bogus journalism – I’m just buying a friggin’ light bulb!

Eric in the Land of Silk & Money

Comment by HollywoodNeoCon — April 7, 2006 @ 10:46 am - April 7, 2006

15. Comment by HollywoodNeoCon — April 7, 2006 @ 10:46 am – April 7, 2006

So, what I gather from this post is that the post is nothing more than a b&m (bitch&moan) post. GE cannot, or will not, be affected by whatever its broadcast arm, NBC does. So, what’s the issue, other than to b&m?

Comment by raj — April 7, 2006 @ 11:11 am - April 7, 2006

16. Raj, firstly let me thank you for debating this with me. It is sincerely appreciated.

But as to your question, I like to think of all this “sound & fury” as actually signifying something. To elaborate, while I personally don’t believe that getting back at GE for the actions of NBC is a useful concept, I DO believe that all this “bitching & moaning” actually accomplishes much. Namely, that the more people are made aware of NBC News’ shoddy practices, the greater the decline in their ratings, and we all know what THAT results in, don’t we?

Go ask CBS News why they pursued Couric. Bob Schieffer is a highly respected journalist, no matter what one may think of his politics or performance. Why, then, did CBS agree to pay 13-15 million to bring Katie on board, if for no other reason than to combat lousy ratings?

Having said that, I’m not naive enough to believe that “Dateline” can be cancelled as a result of public indignation over news gathering practices, but I DO believe that it can be compelled to clean up it’s act. Remember ABC’s hack job on Food Lion?

Just my observation, mind you.

Eric in Hollywood

Comment by HollywoodNeoCon — April 7, 2006 @ 11:32 am - April 7, 2006

17. HollywoodNeoCon — April 7, 2006 @ 11:32 am – April 7, 2006

I’m not trying to debate you. But I have good reason to believe why CBS News pursued Katie Couric (whom I have avoided like the plague). CBS News believed that she would pull in ratings. That’s the only reason–US media, even print media, are advertising-based. I’m not sure why CBS believed that, given the fact that network news–like most of broadcast and cable television–appears to be sponsored by pharmaceutical companies pushing pills to address old folks’ maladies. NB: you can usually tell the “intended audience” of a program by the advertisements accompanying the program.

I suspect that CBS is hiring Couric because they believe that she might pull in a younger demographic. I have no idea why they believe that, and it’s highly improbable that she would, but Viacom, which owns CBS, has been known to be stupid.

Comment by raj — April 7, 2006 @ 2:18 pm - April 7, 2006

18. raj said…

“I’m not trying to debate you. “

Guess what, my friend? You are, and I’m thoroughly enjoying the exchange!

Thanks again for the lively discussion!

Eric in Hollywod

Comment by HollywoodNeoCon — April 7, 2006 @ 2:37 pm - April 7, 2006

19. NBC = Nuthin’ But Crap!

Comment by Brian Mora — April 7, 2006 @ 7:23 pm - April 7, 2006

20. How To Breast Enlargement In Only Breast Enhancement Starting From Scratch

Comment by Breast Enlargement Cream — November 13, 2006 @ 1:38 am - November 13, 2006