Yesterday, a very special DVD/CD was released and I wanted to bring it to your attention.
Red Hot + Blue brings together a diverse group of A-list artists including U2, The Neville Brothers, Sinead O’Conner, Tom Waits, David Byrne (who also directs one of the videos) and more to cover Cole Porter gems such as “I’ve Got You Under My Skin,” “Too Darn Hot,” “I Get A Kick Out Of You” and “In The Still Of The Night.” Each artist brings their own unique, sometimes loose, interpretation to these unforgettable hits. As with the original release, all profits from sales will go to the Red Hot Organization.
The Red Hot + Blue DVD, created by Leigh Blake and John Carlin, features artistic videos addressing the effect of AIDS on society from such acclaimed directors as Jonathan Demme (The Manchurian Candidate, Silence of the Lambs), Wim Wenders (Buena Vista Social Club, U2: The Best of 1990-2000), Neil Jordan (The Crying Game) and Jim Jarmusch (Broken Flowers, Mystery Train). As a bonus, the DVD includes a live performance by Annie Lennox with Herbie Hancock and Ron Carter of “Everytime We Say Goodbye” from the 1995 VH1 Honors Awards. Also presented on the DVD are interviews with Roland Gift, Richard Gere and John Malkovich culled from the 1991 Red Hot + Blue TV special.
Considered one of the first major AIDS benefits in the music industry, the original CD, released in 1990, sold over a million copies and spent 24 weeks on the Billboard charts. Sales of the album generated over three million dollars in revenue, which were donated to over 100 organizations helping to fight AIDS around the world.
In the interest of full disclosure, I was given a free advance copy to review. However, due to my travel schedule I haven’t had the opportunity to do so yet. I’m anxious to see and hear it since I missed the original release in 1990. If any of you watch/see this, feel free to add your thoughts in the comments section.
Full DVD/CD listings of songs after the break…
DVD Track list:
1. Don’t Fence Me In (Artist: David Byrne, Director: David Byrne)
2. I’ve Got You Under My Skin (Artist: Neneh Cherry, Director: Jean Baptiste Mondino)
3. From This Moment On (Artist: Jimmy Somerville, Director: Steve Mclean)
4. After You, Who? (Artist: Jody Watley, Director: Matthew Rolston)
5. Begin The Beguine (Artist: Salif Keita, Director: Zak Ove)
6. Too Darn Hot (Artist: Erasure, Director: Adelle Lutz & Sandy McLeod)
7. You Do Something To Me (Artist: Sinead O’Connor, Director: John Maybury)
8. I Get A Kick Out Of You (Artist: The Jungle Brothers, Director: Mark Pellington)
9. In The Still Of The Night (Artist: The Neville Brothers, Director: Jonathan Demme)
10. So In Love (Artist: k.d. lang, Director: Percy Aldon)
11. I Love Paris (Artist: Les Negresses Vertes, Director: Roger Pomphrey)
12. Do I Love You? (Artist: Aztec Camera, Director: John Scarlett-Davies)
13. Well, Did You Evah! (Artist: Debbie Harry & Iggy Pop, Director: Alex Cox)
14. Down In The Depths (Artist: Lisa Stansfield, Director: Philippe Gautier)
15. Miss Otis Regrets / Just One Of Those Things (Artist: Kirsty MacColl & The Pogues, Director: Neil Jordan)
16. It’s All Right With Me (Artist: Tom Waits, Director: Jim Jarmusch)
17. Night And Day (Artist: U2, Director: Wim Wenders)
18. Ev’ry Time We Say Goodbye (Artist: Annie Lennox, Director: Ed Lachman)
CD Track List:
I’ve Got You Under My Skin (Neneh Cherry)
Night And Day (U2)
You Do Something To Me (Sinead O’Connor)
In The Still Of The Night (The Neville Brothers)
Love For Sale (Fine Young Cannibals)
Don’t Fence Me In (David Byrne)
Well, Did You Evah! (Debbie Harry & Iggy Pop)
Miss Otis Regrets / Just One Of Those Things (Kirsty MacColl & The Pogues)
I Love Paris (Les Negresses Vertes)
It’s All Right With Me (Tom Waits)
I Get A Kick Out Of You (The Jungle Brothers)
From This Moment On (Jimmy Somerville)
Too Darn Hot (Erasure)
Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? (The Thompson Twins)
Begin The Beguine (Salif Keita)
Down In The Depths (Lisa Stansfield)
After You, Who? (Jody Watley)
Do I Love You? (Aztec Camera)
So In Love (k.d. lang)
Ev’ry Time We Say Goodbye (Annie Lennox)
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.