I Will Wear The Red, White & Blue On Monday…

Posted by Bruce Carroll at 12:42 pm - April 30, 2006.
Filed under: General

I think it great that Average Gay Joe will be marching tomorrow (after work).  I also like the fact that we can disagree here at this blog on various issues.  There is quite a split on immigration over at Polipundit as well.

AGJ outlined some good reasons and also articulated the right immigration policy and on those points I completely agree.  But I have to disagree with him marching as he will in effect be lending credence to those who wish not to IMMIGRATE but to INVADE.  The groups organizing these marches are not interested in becoming Americans, but well-paid Mexican workers in a place that happens to be called America.  Frankly, I’m surprised Jesse Jackson isn’t waving a sign saying “Illegal Immigration = Slavery”…cuz it seems that way to me.  But this round of slavery is self-imposed by the illegals.  Bizarre.

AGJ… let me suggest that after you march you then do what I’m planning to do.  Wearing a very large USA flag shirt or lapel pin and going to a restaurant of my choice and waiting as long as I have to for service (assuming there was a walkout at the establishment).  Then after dinner I will thank them and tell the owner he or she doesn’t NEED illegals to have a successful business in the United States.

My family came here as immigrants too.  But they didn’t break the law first and expect to be given a pass.  They followed the rules and then became AMERICANS.  That is not the agenda that AGJ will be helping with his voice tomorrow night.

So my fellow Americans, do your part tomorrow to COMBAT the boycott.  Go out and spend money.  Hell, if it can work against al-Qaeda.. then it can work against the pro-invader illegals.

-Bruce (GayPatriot)

1. We’ll just have to agree to disagree. This is an issue which has split conservatives along with others. Justice under the law does not exclude mercy, which I believe some measure of is called for here. Congress needs to quit pussy-footing around this issue and resolve the matter.

As far as this idiot boycott goes, let me just say that besides going to work tomorrow I plan on eating lunch and dinner out along with stopping off for some essentials from that bastion of liberal hatred: Wal-Mart. Also, I don’t have a t-shirt with an American flag on it, but I shall be carrying the real McCoy while wearing a Navy cap and probably my 9/11 Pentagon pin.

Comment by Average Gay Joe — April 30, 2006 @ 1:33 pm - April 30, 2006

2. “My family came here as immigrants too. But they didn’t break the law first and expect to be given a pass. They followed the rules and then became AMERICANS.”

Exactly the same here.

Comment by Calarato — April 30, 2006 @ 1:43 pm - April 30, 2006

3. One more thing, labeling all such immigrants as being “pro-invader illegals” ignores the thousands of those who’ve been in limbo on work visas as Congress refuses to permanently determine their status. It is this group that I am most concerned for and am tired of the politicians ignoring them. As I wrote in my post:

These folks, mainly from El Salvador, were granted permission to work in the U.S. and have been here for many years. They have married, had kids, bought homes, and in all respects that I’ve seen are the kind of people we want to have in our country. Instead of leaving them in agonizing limbo for years, extending the expiration of their work visas when business whines, a permanent resolution of their status needs to be made now. I personally believe they should be allowed to stay with permanent residency and later citizenship (assuming they meet all qualifications for such).

Comment by Average Gay Joe — April 30, 2006 @ 1:53 pm - April 30, 2006

4. #2 – Ditto me on that, too. Also, they came from Eastern Europe, so the language barrier was another hurdle they successfully overcame.

I got so PO’d coming home from church today…one gay-owned/operated restaurant had the following message on their billboard: “Will be closed May 1 for Freedom Demonstration.”

Needless to say, I ain’t spending one more of my hard-earned dollars there ever again. HRC Pinko Bastards!

And GP, I will definitely wear my USA flag lapel pin tomorrow to work and SPEND, SPEND, SPEND my money at places that employ good hard working Americans!

GOD BLESS THE USA!

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — April 30, 2006 @ 2:12 pm - April 30, 2006

5. “My family came here as immigrants too. But they didn’t break the law first and expect to be given a pass. They followed the rules and then became AMERICANS.”

Mine too. And, I have allot of friends overseas that enter the green card lottery every year, and do everything they can to enter and live in USA LEGALLY. It is a slap in the face of those who do things the right way. Are we not supposed to be a nation of laws?

Comment by Pamela — April 30, 2006 @ 2:46 pm - April 30, 2006

6. I wonder if maybe we shouldn’t more or less ignore the illegals who are already here. Not legalize them – if they get caught, they get sent home & can’t come back legally – ever, for any reason, including that their kids or spouse is an American. Not as guest workers, not as immigrants.

But in the meantime, concentrate on securing the border & setting up a workable guest worker/permanent immigrant program.

It seems to me that if we were to do this, it would put pressure on the illegals to go back home before they get caught & come back in the right way. The only amnesty involved might be giving a six month window for them to go home before we start this kind of enforcement.

Comment by harmon — April 30, 2006 @ 2:55 pm - April 30, 2006

7. Off topic, but I thought I’d share:

WASHINGTON – Former Sen. John Danforth says a conservative push to ban gay marriage through a constitutional amendment is silly, calling it the latest example of how the political influence of evangelical Christians is hurting the GOP.

Danforth, a Missouri Republican and an Episcopal priest, made the comments in a speech Saturday night to the Log Cabin Republicans, which support gay rights. He said history has shown that attempts to regulate human behavior with constitutional amendments are misguided.

“Once before, the Constitution was amended to try to deal with matters of human behavior; that was prohibition. That was such a flop that that was repealed 13 years later,” Danforth said.

Referring to the marriage amendment, he added that perhaps at some point in history there was a constitutional amendment proposed that was “sillier than this one, but I don’t know of one.”

Comment by Ian — April 30, 2006 @ 3:37 pm - April 30, 2006

8. I could see having AGJ’s position, but why the hell would you want to participate in an event organized by the Communists and the Socialists on the date of a Commie holiday and no, it’s not an accident that date was chosen.

as Congress refuses to permanently determine their status.

I wasn’t aware that it was up to Congress to determine their status.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — April 30, 2006 @ 5:20 pm - April 30, 2006

9. Did you make sure that that Red, White & Blue that you’ll be wearing on Monday wasn’t made in China?

Comment by raj — April 30, 2006 @ 5:58 pm - April 30, 2006

10. I could see having AGJ’s position, but why the hell would you want to participate in an event organized by the Communists and the Socialists on the date of a Commie holiday and no, it’s not an accident that date was chosen.

I wasn’t aware that it was up to Congress to determine their status.

It is, well unless someone changed the Consitution and forgot to tell me. 😉

Comment by Average Gay Joe — April 30, 2006 @ 6:50 pm - April 30, 2006

11. Btw, I’m taking my digital camera so unless it gets stolen I should have some interesting pics of the DC march at least… 😉

Comment by Average Gay Joe — April 30, 2006 @ 6:51 pm - April 30, 2006

12. There will probably be Atzlan nuts there as well. So what. Every movement has it freaks. This isn’t about the agendas of particular groups but about individual people. My friends are many things but Commies they ain’t.

Absolutely, and I would trust your judgment on your friends.

Why not march the day after and clearly differentiate yourself?

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — April 30, 2006 @ 6:53 pm - April 30, 2006

13. So, if they don’t want to be lumped in with the Aztlan loonies, why do they march on the same day? Why not march the day after and clearly differentiate yourself?

Probably because for many they are unaware of these groups and their goals and those who are ignore them. They see this as an opportunity to express their views. Think of it like the so-called Million Man March. Most blacks ignored Farrakhan’s nonsense and went for their own reasons.

Comment by Average Gay Joe — April 30, 2006 @ 7:17 pm - April 30, 2006

14. But, what part do we remember? Farrakhan!

Comment by Calarato — April 30, 2006 @ 7:35 pm - April 30, 2006

15. That’s what YOU remember about it. Those I know who went took something far different from it.

Comment by Average Gay Joe — April 30, 2006 @ 7:39 pm - April 30, 2006

16. Liberal folks who support amnesty seem intent on shooting themselves in the foot. What do they think will happen to liberal and secular values when you pour millions of predominantly Roman Catholic, socially-conservative voters into our national electorate? Most polls show that around two-thirds to 70% of Hispanics oppose abortion, more than any ethnicity group, beating out even Whites and African-Americans.

They also oppose Gay Marriage rights by a majority:

Comment by Ettanin — April 30, 2006 @ 7:45 pm - April 30, 2006

17. For gay conservatives like myself, that’s a mixed bag. Eh, we’ll work out the gay marriage thing but the other is good to hear.

Comment by Average Gay Joe — April 30, 2006 @ 8:28 pm - April 30, 2006

18. Probably because for many they are unaware of these groups and their goals and those who are ignore them. They see this as an opportunity to express their views.

If you made people aware, would they still show up?

If they are ignoring them, why do they turn out to march on the same day that these loonies have commanded them to do so?

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — April 30, 2006 @ 9:25 pm - April 30, 2006

19. I’m making a long list of things to buy at Wal-Mart Monday. I’m going to fly Old Glory from my flagpole. And, by God, I’m going to sing OUR “Star Spangled Banner” in ENGLISH!

The demands that we bend over backwards to make the illegal aliens happy and welcome have made me a hard-liner on the issue. Every resource needed should be devoted to securing our borders. Huge fines should be levied against employers for each and every illegal alien employed (the law already says such employment is illegal). No amnesty whatsoever! The only ones eiligible to apply for legal status should be those who go home and apply through established procedures for visas and green cards.

I do favor a limited guest worker program in those sectors that can’t attract sufficient American workers: agriculture, meat packing, some construction, hotel workers, etc.

I may end up in jail, but heaven help anyone singing the new Spanish distortion of the “Star Spangled Banner” where I can hear them.

Comment by Trace Phelps — April 30, 2006 @ 10:17 pm - April 30, 2006

20. I am mad as hell! I am paying taxes to feed, house, clothe, educate and provide medical services for ILLIGAL INVADERS and I will likely never see a penny of the Social Security I’ve paid into for nearly 30 YEARS of my working life. I’m a sole proprietor and have to write checks for my tax burden every all the time and those checks are huge! I say F*CK the ILEGAL immigrants, go home, and fix your own stupid ass broken counties! F*CK YOU!

Comment by Dave — May 1, 2006 @ 12:32 am - May 1, 2006

21. That’s what YOU remember about it. Those I know who went took something far different from it.

i.e. It’s for the greater good.

Very good, Komisar. The Zampolit would be proud.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — May 1, 2006 @ 8:06 am - May 1, 2006

22. It’s rather odd to support an illegal system dominated by a country whose own government intentionally exports its poor despite the fact that Mexico has more billionaires than Switzerland and greater amounts of available natural resources than America.

Comment by syn — May 1, 2006 @ 10:22 am - May 1, 2006

23. A Day Without Illegals…

Today is supposed to be a Day Without Illegal Aliens, well let?s hope that it works out and it becomes a day without illegal employers also, and we can finally begin to take back our Country. Go out and purchase to your hearts content today, and do s….

Trackback by The Thunder Run — May 1, 2006 @ 11:39 am - May 1, 2006

24. And, as AGJ pointed out, Mexico’s immigration laws are FAR more strict than are US laws.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — May 1, 2006 @ 11:56 am - May 1, 2006

25. I’m torn on this issue, 50/50….
    Half of me agrees with the conservative members of congress, et. al. who think that all the illegal’s ARE breaking the law, and perpetually curtail the efforts of many people trying to immigrate legally, and DO take some the jobs that Americans WOULD do. I can agree with all those arguments….

I can also support the other side… If I was living in the destitute squalor that people in Mexico and some of the Central/South American countries have to endure, I would do ANYthing to secure a better life for myself and my family. I do think that they should try to organize, and fight their governments in there own countries to make things better there. I don’t know WHY they don’t.

From a pragmatic perspective (this may seem selfish, but…)…
    I, like many Americans, probably won’t have enough in the IRA by the time I retire. I’ll have some money in there, but from what all the financial planner/gurus say, not nearly as much as I should have to live the same lifestyle as I have now (which is pretty frugal, btw). I contribute as much as I can, but not always the max allowed. I’ve had to withdraw on it a couple of times over the years due to hardship (pay medical bills, etc.). I hate to admit it, but I’m going to need social security to supplement my income when I retire sometime around 2035… The X and Y generations who came after the baby boomers didn’t have enough kids to keep it solvent. By the time I retire, at that rate, there will only be 1 to 2 workers for every retiree. I’m going to need some those immigrants and their kids (who would be in our workforce by then) to help keep the SS system solvent. I know this leaves a bad taste in some of your mouths, and may offend some of your fiscally conservative sensibilities, but not everyone (myself included) have the means to contribute mass amounts of $ to investments, month after month, year after year (including IRA’s/401k’s). You can rant and rave all you want about personal responsibility and discipline, but sometimes s**t happens. So, I say legalize the 11 million or so who are already here, give them SS numbers, and make them AND there employers start paying into SS….Then seal the border for awhile starting now. Make it much more difficult for illegals to cross. Just my 2 cents.

As far as the boycott today, it seems that every restaurant we have in the DC area has foreigners working in them (I have no idea how many are illegal), but I’m brown bagging my lunch, and staying as far away from the restaurants as possible. However, I’ll probably go spend a little $ on some essentials at ‘China-Mart’… ‘-)

Comment by ndtovent — May 1, 2006 @ 12:22 pm - May 1, 2006

26. Another protest organized by communist groups, this one on a communist holiday, and all it will do, like all those Mexican flags, is fuel the backlash.

No conservative has any business participating in a communist protest. Finis. That’s all, folks.

Comment by rightwingprof — May 1, 2006 @ 1:09 pm - May 1, 2006

27. If amnesty is granted to these illegals, we may as well be wearing black in sympathy for the future of the United States as we know it. Ok, that sounds harsh, but let me explain. Because of a job transfer, I lived in Canada for 2 1/2 years. It was a great experience, but what I noticed was a vast majority of people still clung to whatever country their family had originally immigrated from, no matter how many generations back it had been. They wanted to live in Canada, but they didn’t want to give up anything they had left behind.

I was once asked where I was from and when I said the United States, the person kept insisting on knowing where in Europe. Where my ancestors originally came from is nothing but trivia to me; I’m an American! And not a “hyphenated” American either. It was at that point I truly understood the meaning of why they call the United States the “melting pot”. People immigrated here to become an American in most cases and to start a new life and celebrate in the freedoms that we have. Sure, a lot of people are proud of their heritage, but most put America first, not behind their original homeland as I experienced in Canada. I gained a new and deep love for the United States during those 2 1/2 years, and couldn’t wait to get back. Canada had no character other than for the natural wonders.

From what I see and hear, the illegals protesting today aren’t really wanting to be Americans, they simply want to be Mexicans (or citizens of other countries) living in the United States. Their true colors were shown when these rallies first began and one would see nothing but a sea of Mexican flags. It was only when they started seeing the backlash that they rethought their strategy and started carrying the stars and stripes. I fear that slowly we will turn into what I experienced in Canada, a country without character, but filled with people from sea to shining sea who say they are a citizen of whatever country they came from.

I hope I’m wrong.

Comment by Barry — May 1, 2006 @ 6:15 pm - May 1, 2006

28. If you made people aware, would they still show up?

Is this kind of like “If you build it they will come”? 🙂

Comment by Average Gay Joe — May 1, 2006 @ 9:38 pm - May 1, 2006

29. But if I have to pay $2 for a head of lettuce in order to get this mess straightened out, so be it.

So you say right now. Add the fuel surcharge for delivering your lettuce and other goods, which is just about everything you buy, and I do believe many Americans will start singing a different tune.

Comment by Average Gay Joe — May 1, 2006 @ 9:40 pm - May 1, 2006

30. I will likely never see a penny of the Social Security I’ve paid into for nearly 30 YEARS of my working life.

Even without illegals here, you seriously expected to see a dime of Social Security??? Talk about the world’s biggest scam and ponzi scheme!

Comment by Average Gay Joe — May 1, 2006 @ 9:41 pm - May 1, 2006

31. From what I see and hear, the illegals protesting today aren’t really wanting to be Americans, they simply want to be Mexicans (or citizens of other countries) living in the United States.

Part of the problem is the large influx of 1st generation immigrants (legal or not) in a short amount of time which makes assimilation appear to be virtually nonexistent. However, it is occuring even if slowly particularly by the 3rd generation which it far more American than wherever the 1st generation came from. While English is a problem for 1st generation and some 2nd generation immigrants, Spanish is being replaced as their native tongue the more generations which live here in the USA.

Comment by Average Gay Joe — May 1, 2006 @ 9:52 pm - May 1, 2006

32. Former NYC Mayor Ed Koch, a Democrat, and I agree on the solution: take away the jobs and most of the illegal aliens will go back home. (There should be some type of temporary worker program for those sectors, such as agriculture, that need foreign labor.)

Mayor Koch suggests that an employer be fined $5,000 per illegal employed for first offense, $10,000 per illegal employed for second offense and six months in jail per illegal employed for third offense.

Comment by Trace Phelps — May 2, 2006 @ 12:31 am - May 2, 2006