Where’s the Love?

Posted by ColoradoPatriot at 3:55 pm - June 19, 2006.
Filed under: Bush-hatred,Civil Discourse,Movies/Film & TV

You remember Jesus Jones? They were a one-hit wonder back when I was in college who hit with a song called “Right Here, Right Now”. It was written in the wake of Ronald Reagan’s greatest successes, the fall of the Berlin Wall, and with it, the prominence of what it symbolized, Soviet Communism.

The lyrics of that song go something like:

Bob Dylan didn’t have this to sing about
You know it feels good to be alive

and

I saw the decade end, when it seemed
The world could change at the blink of an eye
And if anything
Then there’s your sign of the times

Similarly, The Scorpions‘ Klaus Meine penned “Winds of Change“, reflecting on a walk he had taken through freshly-liberated Moscow.

One striking stanza:

The wind of change
Blows straight into the face of time
Like a stormwind that will ring the freedom bell
For peace of mind
Let your balalaika sing
What my guitar wants to say

By contrast, the other night, walking through Capitol Hill here in Denver, I passed by a car with a bumper sticker which read simply, “FUCK BUSH”.

These days we have the opportunity to irradicate organized Islamic terrorism from the earth. We have liberated 50 million Muslims and brought representative government to the region where civilization began. We clearly are at a point in history that will be judged by our progeny as definitive in the survival of that civilization.

Yet, what’s the message from pop-culture these days? It’s Green Day’s American Idiot and the Dixie Chicks telling foreign audiences they’re embarrased to share the president’s home state. A filmmaker has made himself wealthy beyond many of our imaginations on the misery and pain of his fellow countrymen (some of whom, it seems, he even manipulated to further his agenda). I’m not expecting blind obedience or mindlessly jingoistic offerings. And I’m not trying to take some sort of moralistic stance about how we need to support the current efforts.

But where did the optimism go? Why is it so hard for people who have (some legitimate) problems with some of the things we do these days to see anything positive about America and specifically her efforts to liberate societies that otherwise would be active supporters of terrorism? Why must disagreeing with the current administration translate so fluidly into believing that we’re on some sort of handbasket ride to hell? Is there truly no noble opposition left? Or have we just lost all sense of proportion in our national dialog?

Before the flames start, I’ll be the first to admit that the same thing exists on the other side. But what’s so wrong with simply saying, “Hey, nobody’s perfect. But America’s pretty damn good.”?

I’m reminded of one of my favorite lines from a movie. It was Steve Martin, to Marilu Henner in LA Story. He says “Do you have any idea how unattractive hate is?”

Does pop-culture (and the rest of the Left, for that matter) these days realize what a turn-off their pessimism is? Am I the only one who thinks we’re in pretty good shape these days? How about a little love?

These two songs both allude to sleep, in that “The children of tomorrow dream away,” and we’re “watching the world wake up from history.” Too bad so many see it all as a nightmare. Pity them.

1. Seen this? (music video).

Comment by rightwingprof — June 19, 2006 @ 4:19 pm - June 19, 2006

2. I had always liked this song by Peter Gabriel. It had been written for a theatrical production called “Ovo”, that was performed in the Millennium Dome in England as part of the Y2K festivities.

After 9-11, it took on an entirely different meaning for me as it became obvious that it had been spookily prescient.

Downside-Up

I looked up at the tallest building
    Felt it falling down
    I could feel my balance shifting
    Everything, was moving around
    These streets so fixed and solid
    Are a shimmering haze
    And everything that I relied on disappeared…

Downside up, upside down
    Take my weight from the ground
    Falling deep in the sky
    Slipping in the unknown

All the strangers look like family
    All the family looks so strange
    The only constant I am sure of
    Is this accelerating rate of change

Downside up, upside down

ovo ovo ovo

Downside up
    Upside down
    Take my weight off the ground
    Falling deep in the sky
    Slipping into the unknown

Peter Gabriel has a terrifc website if you want to learn more about his stuff.

Comment by Patrick (Gryph) — June 19, 2006 @ 4:50 pm - June 19, 2006

3. Nick, I think your question was pre-answered in this recent post: http://gaypatriot.net/2006/06/17/bush-haters-use-truth-as-euphemism-for-their-animosity

The love has gone the same place the truth has – out the window. The world long indulged, or at least humored, the narcissistic self-congratulatory fantasies of the 60s / hippie Left generation. Then something called “reality” intervened and presented a bill. These people are now in their 50s and late 40s, in positions of power in the media and academia. And they can’t stand it that reality doesn’t conform to their wishes, and that (in reality) they can’t, shouldn’t and don’t rule the world. Meeting frustration in their underlying ambitions, their underlying rage and their lust to dominate – that was always present beneath the “love” – now boils to the surface, for all to see.

Comment by Calarato — June 19, 2006 @ 5:33 pm - June 19, 2006

4. They were a one-hit wonder back when I was in college

I was in Jr. High.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — June 20, 2006 @ 12:50 am - June 20, 2006

5. Gee, TGC, thanks a lot! Where’s the love, indeed! 😉

Comment by ColoradoPatriot — June 20, 2006 @ 1:56 am - June 20, 2006

6. Nowadays, we’ve got the Dixie Chicks (aka the Three French Hens) spewing their hate. Even here in their backyard, they couldn’t sell enough tickets to fill up a nominal venue.

Where’s the love, indeed! Not for patriots, that’s for sure.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — June 20, 2006 @ 2:02 pm - June 20, 2006

7. BTW – why is it okay for a liberal group to be called the “Dixie Chicks,” but the state of Alabama is forbidden to use the phrase “Heart of Dixie” because it may offend some African-Americans? Hypocrisy, anyone?

Probably because Alabama was a slave-state, and as far as I know, the Dixie Chicks have never owned ANY slaves, African-American or otherwise.

Comment by Patrick (Gryph) — June 20, 2006 @ 2:28 pm - June 20, 2006

8. #7 – Gryph, you ignorant slut.

The thrust of my argument was the use of the WORD “Dixie,” which some people mistakenly believe is a connotation to the days of slavery.

Which begs the question – and I’ll repeat it for you since you’re so slow to pick this up – WHY is a music group using a word like “Dixie” with such negative racial connotations? Have they no sense of shame or decency?

Well, we can all answer that last question, can’t we? All except for Grampa Gryph, that is…

If the name “Dixie Chicks” is not offensive to the same people who banned “Heart of Dixie” and the Stars and Bars, then there is some serious hypocrisy going on.

Regards,