Gays “Offended” By American Flag

(Hat tip: V the K).

This item from Slate (via The Corner) speaks for itself….

Dear Prudie,
My partner and I are having our condominium remodeled. We have worked well with one company and asked them to bid a second phase of the job. The person who showed up to bid the job wore a cap with an angry bald eagle on the front with multiple American flags sewn onto the rest of the cap. When I was obviously startled at the hat, he acknowledged, “Guess I should have worn my company hat.” I replied, “I would be more comfortable if you had because I can’t support much of what the country is doing right now.” This led to his reply, “Just so we all support America.” My partner and I are gay and feel assaulted by the right wing. We are also horrified by the war in Iraq and so many other issues that our patriotism is very low. That hat was a sickening reminder of my childhood in rural America. I feel that perhaps my money should be spent in a more socially conscious fashion, but I don’t relish starting my own campaign of reverse discrimination. Am I making too much of this incident? The company has done a good job for us so far.
—Uneasy Remodeler

Dear Uneasy,
When did an American flag come to mean, “I want to assault gay people”? You know nothing about this man’s views except that he feels patriotic. Since you are the one who provoked the discussion, do you really want to require that the person building your breakfast nook pass your political litmus test? (And yes, if I were to get a letter saying, “I went to a potential construction job this morning and the owners of the condo were obviously gay. I think homosexuality is abnormal and I hate the idea of gay marriage. I don’t know whether I should go ahead and submit a bid,” I would find that letter just as objectionable.) We are lucky to live in a society in which one doesn’t have to belong to a government-sanctioned party or avow a list of beliefs in order to make a living. I know too many people who say they could never be friends with people who have different political views from theirs, and that’s unfortunate. But the economy will crash if every service person is required to agree with their client’s worldview. Do you know how lucky you are to find a remodeling company that does a good job? Let the guy with the American flag cap get to work.
—Prudie

Once again, the Gay Borg strike again with their intolerance of the majority of American values.  It is an example of how ridiculous and irrelevant the American gay community has become in the overall debate of issues in our nation.

I guess the uppity-class gays would have been okay had a Muslim contractor shown up with a bomb vest strapped to himself.  THAT would have been tolerant, right?

-Bruce (GayPatriot)

1. #50: I don’t think Sully is a Christian any more than he is a conservative. First and foremost, Sully is a hedonist, who dons a costume of Catholicism when it suits his purposes.

Sully insists that the Roman Catholic Church accept circuit parties, ecstasy use, and sex with multiple anonymous partners as ‘true’ Catholicism because he wants the church to bend to his lifestyle, instead of accepting the church’s direction in those matters; much as he demands that tax increases, court-imposed same sex marriage, and consitutional rights for terrorists be accepted as ‘true’ conservatism.

Comment by V the K — September 6, 2006 @ 2:15 pm - September 6, 2006

2. I agree with the first paragraph of Ian’s #15 comment above. That said, I do think that this guy/couple overreacted. If I were looking for a contractor (especially one who had done good work for me before), I wouldn’t care which symbol they used in their advertising, much less wore on their ballcaps (especially the american flag–c’mon, get a grip). Living in the dc area, I’d be happy with one who understood/spoke passible English (a rare find in this area these days).

Comment by ndtovent — September 6, 2006 @ 6:01 pm - September 6, 2006

3. #50: “To argue that a motivating force on the GayLeft is NOT a hatred and bigotry of Christianity is to ask readers here to suspend all sanity and reason.”

[yawn] I provide clear counterpoints while you simply repeat wingnut talking points.

“anyone can identify highprofile GayLeftists (like Sullivan) as “Christian” –actually, he’s Catholic and that’s a whole other kettle of fish”

I’ll let others dispute your characterization of Catholics as something other than Christian except to say that all the Catholics I know most certainly consider themselves Christian.

Comment by Ian — September 6, 2006 @ 9:39 pm - September 6, 2006

4. Gays should just die and get the hell out of this land of freedom.

Comment by sean — September 6, 2006 @ 10:11 pm - September 6, 2006

5. #7. LOL!!! No, it doesn’t decline with income. Some just blame ‘the American gay community’ and ‘The Left’ and ‘liberals’.

Comment by sean — September 6, 2006 @ 10:16 pm - September 6, 2006

6. #18. Of course they were. And they pray for your perverted deviant soul, too.

Comment by sean — September 6, 2006 @ 10:19 pm - September 6, 2006

7. Finally, I wonder if the GP posse would claim something along these lines–“second, it’s your house, and if you want to get rid of a contractor who has already demonstrated his competence and ability in favor of an unknown one who meets your litmus test, more power to you”–if a hat or t-shirt was protesting the war, said god hates fags, or something they disagreed with. That would be fun to watch.

I’m still stuck on the “conventional wisdom that gays and lesbians are expected to think in only one dimension.” Where’s the handbook that imparts this way of thinking? Who does the expecting? What dimension are we talking about? And how much of this is a convenient fantasy?

Comment by sean — September 6, 2006 @ 10:26 pm - September 6, 2006

8. Finally, I wonder if the GP posse would claim something along these lines–”second, it’s your house, and if you want to get rid of a contractor who has already demonstrated his competence and ability in favor of an unknown one who meets your litmus test, more power to you”–if a hat or t-shirt was protesting the war, said god hates fags, or something they disagreed with.

I can’t speak for the others, but I certainly would.

That is, as long as you’re being honest that the reason you’re getting rid of a good contractor is that you don’t like their clothes. Personally, I think it’s a rather moonbat and foolish reason, regardless of who’s practicing it.

Now, what I’d like to see is a gay leftist like yourself admit that it’s moonbat and foolish.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — September 6, 2006 @ 11:20 pm - September 6, 2006

9. #48 North Dallas Thirty — September 6, 2006 @ 12:20 pm – September 6, 2006

More silliness from the dissembler. Apparently you are unable to distinguish between the company that the gays had earlier worked with and a representative that the company had sent out. They are not necessarily one in the same.

I’m not really surprised that you are unable to make that distinction. Over at IndeGayForum a few months ago, you weren’t even able to reconcile figures from a report from the Wall Street Journal with the survey that it was supposedly based on.

Comment by raj — September 7, 2006 @ 12:40 am - September 7, 2006

10. #47 Ian — September 6, 2006 @ 12:04 pm – September 6, 2006

Nonsense. Andrew Sullivan whom many here deride as a liberal is quite clearly a Christian…

Nonsense back to you. You don’t really understand the mindset of conservative Protestantism. Sully is a Roman Catholic. To more than a few conservative Protestants, Roman Catholicism is a cult, and their Vatican is the “Harlot Vatican,” the “Whore of Babylon.”

I learned that a few years ago while posting on the MightyRighty’s FreieRepublikaner website (also known as FreeRepublic.com, Rush Lamebrain’s favorite website).

NB: Munich is bracing for Der Besuch der Alten Dame on Sunday. Der Nazi Feigling kommt. Since it is unlikely that Matty will translate it for you, I will. “Nazi Feigling” is the pope. “Kommt” means that the Nazi Feigling is coming to Munich–fortunately on the other side of town. “Der Besuch der Alten Dame” means “the visit of the old lady.”

Actually, Der Besuch der Alten Dame was the name of a play by Durrenmatt. It’s quite interesting in German. It was done–in translation, of course–in NYC as “The Visit, and I’ve seen mention that it was made into a movie by Hollywood–das Land des HappyEnds. I have not seen the movie, so I don’t know whether it retained the viciousness of the play.

Comment by raj — September 7, 2006 @ 12:41 am - September 7, 2006

11. Finally, I will merely take notice of the fact that Bruce has not seen fit to address the questions regarding the vacuousness of the post. I’m not holding my breath waiting for him to do so.

Comment by raj — September 7, 2006 @ 12:42 am - September 7, 2006

12. Apparently you are unable to distinguish between the company that the gays had earlier worked with and a representative that the company had sent out. They are not necessarily one in the same.

Unfortunately, puppet RajIan, you and these gay bigots were claiming that the company was antigay and not socially responsible.

Furthermore, you made that determination about the company all on the fact that one of its representatives was wearing an American-flag hat.

Now you want to deny that linkage — because your making it proves how irrational and bigoted gay leftists like yourself are.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — September 7, 2006 @ 1:47 am - September 7, 2006

13. And finally, as to the vacuousness of this post, your constant spinning and dissembling does an excellent job of proving GP’s point — namely, that gay leftists like yourselves are intolerant, bigoted hypocrites who claim people and companies are antigay based on the clothes that they’re wearing.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — September 7, 2006 @ 1:50 am - September 7, 2006

14. Hold a mirror up to bigoted gay lefties. Watch them recoil from their own reflection. Repeat.

Comment by V the K — September 7, 2006 @ 8:16 am - September 7, 2006

15. Perhaps someone with more time than me would like to go to a lefty gayblog and count how many anti-Christian and anti-American slams come up in the comments and posts?

I don’t personally need to be convinced. I’ve seen enough smirking references to “imaginary magical sky-god” and other expressions of contempt to know how the gay left regard people-of-faith. And we already know that facts and evidence will never persuade those who are already comfortable and secure in their navel-gazing bigotry.

Comment by V the K — September 7, 2006 @ 8:25 am - September 7, 2006

16. Did anyone notice that raj at #60 is debating Ian at #47?

It’s the penultimate stroke of a twisted sockpuppet mind to feel the need to appear separate –to all who know better.

I think the burden of being a GayLeftist is finally impacting reality for the sockpuppet.

Comment by Michigan-Matt — September 7, 2006 @ 9:12 am - September 7, 2006

17. M-Matt, I think the magic word is “schizophrenia” in this case. Which, not coincidentally, describes the RAT party at this time.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — September 7, 2006 @ 2:36 pm - September 7, 2006

18. Ahh, that explains a lot, Peter. Thanks.

Comment by Michigan-Matt — September 8, 2006 @ 8:57 am - September 8, 2006

19. No matter how I try to distance myself from the gays who seem to be offended by anything and everything I say, somehow the gays I know come up with new things that I did to offend them. If someone wore a rainbow gay flag, I wouldn’t care a bit one way or anther, yet someone wears anangry eagle american flag, and somehow it is translated into the rightwing hate of gays. It’s not hatred, it’s sickness. I’m sick of the cry baby attitudes. Oh, your feelings are hurt, welcome to earth. The world is bigger than just you. Get out of my face with your gay comments. You are the ones who have to tell the world every day your gay. I don’t tell the world everyday I’m not gay. I don’t cry and blame all my physoligical issues on the rightwing. It’s your life, take charge for once. Nobody really cares if you are gay or not, all they care about is if you are in their face about it and accusing them of being haters and homophobes. You are the fracken hetrophobes, anything that has to do with nature being in balance, you seem to freak out about. Man + women = child. Same sex plus same sex = no child or adoption or borrow some sperm find egg … it’s doesn’t work nature. That’s why people like me don’t understand and never will understand you, doesn’t mean we hate you, just means we will never understand why people do unnatural things. be gay. don’t really care, your life, just get your gayness out of my face and stay away from my kids.

Comment by Non gay guy — December 21, 2006 @ 11:04 pm - December 21, 2006