Happy Birthday, Bilbo & Frodo!

As the wise among you know, today marks the birthday of Bilbo Baggins and his adopted heir Frodo. Delighted that he and his beloved younger cousin shared September 22 as their birthday, Bilbo invited his younger cousin to live with him at Bag End so that, in the old hobbit’s words, “we can celebrate our birthday-parties comfortably together.

Here’s wishing you all much celebration on this happiest of days.

1. With the mention of the LOTR, i’m going to take this time to share a story. When ‘Return Of The King’ was in theaters, I went to see it with my brother, parents and grandmother, who at the time was 88 years old. Now my grandmother doesn’t much like violent movies to begin with, so we should have thought twice about going to see it with her. But still, that’s what was done. So the movie was progressing and my grandmother was begining to realize it was a VERY long movie. As it was getting towards the end, each time it would seem like the movie was about to end and instead went on to another scene, my grandmother would make this really loud groan, like UGGGGGH. Others around us I don’t think were too happy, but who is going to say something to an old lady? Every time she did it my brother and I laughed. She so couldn’t wait for it to be over, lol. It was really funny. =)

Comment by Chase — September 22, 2006 @ 2:55 am - September 22, 2006

2. And Dan, are we really supposed to think nothing was going on there? An aging ‘confirmed bachelor’ invites his cute, young, also-strangely-single cousin-removed to be “roommates”?

Comment by Calarato — September 22, 2006 @ 1:06 pm - September 22, 2006

3. Rather than run down the path of whether or not Frodo is queer, how about noting that this is the 50th Anniversary of probably one of the greatest movies of all time:

John Ford’s The Searchers with John Wayne as the last true American male icon to grace the silverscreen.

Sean Higgins has a kickass write-up of the event here:

I’d like to see Bored of the Rings top that in terms of real entertainment.

Comment by Michigan-Matt — September 22, 2006 @ 6:51 pm - September 22, 2006

4. Hey, don’t knock one of my favorite books under $5.00. 😉

Comment by Calarato — September 22, 2006 @ 7:30 pm - September 22, 2006

5. I’ll take Orlando Bloom over John Wayne any day of the week.

I think a documentary about my mailman would probabaly be more exciting to me than a John Wayne movie.

Though when I was a little kid and went to Universal Studios in Florida, I did do one of those “Shane” video things were u pretend to be in a scene from the movie. That was a John Wayne flick, right? 🙂

Comment by Chase — September 23, 2006 @ 3:23 pm - September 23, 2006

6. Chase writes: “I’ll take Orlando Bloom over John Wayne any day of the week.”

And maybe that’s what’s fundamentally wrong about the gay culture –choosing effeminate fluff and momentary eye candy (OrlieB) over true males in all their alpha-glory (theDuke).

Of course, Chase also thought that ex-Gov McGreevey is hot. Yikes. Shudder shudder.

Comment by Michigan-Matt — September 24, 2006 @ 9:27 am - September 24, 2006

7. McGreevey is another Jersey Girl – “it’s all about me, me, ME!”

More shudders.