PatriotPartner is on loan from the US to Japan for a couple weeks for his job. It is his first trip to Asia (he’s one up on me), and has a “Top Ten” list of observations thus far…..
- You really can get by on “Konichiwa,” “Arigato” and a smile here
- It takes more than a week to stop feeling jumpy every time you turn into traffic when making a right in a country that drives on the left
- These people are more car-crazy than Americans and they keep them freakishly clean (of course you can be ticketed for driving a car that is too dirty)
- I am still not sure what I ate the other night but damn was it good!
- Never trust a restaurant named Pizza House Jr. – especially in Japan! And where the heck is Pizza House Sr. anyway?
- I would give my coworker’s right arm for just a 1/10 of the coffee/tea/soda/water vending machines on the streets here to be relocated back home
- From the items I have seen for sale in stores, Justin Timberlake is a fashion trend-setter in Japan; well except at the Afro-Carribean/Jamaican store across the street (what’s with that anyway?)
- Kobe beef – good; bitter melon, egg and Spam – bad (it’s the prefectural dish of Okinawa and it can stay here)
- You haven’t really lived until you have heard Billie Holiday’s God Bless the Child crooned in Japanese
- The teen angst in Dawson’s Creek is just as palpable in Japanese as it is in English
Stay safe, PatriotPartner!!! We miss you.