Wall Street Journal blasts GOP

Posted by Average Gay Joe at 7:55 pm - October 2, 2006.
Filed under: 2006 Elections,General,National Politics
Excellent. They sum up many, though not all, of the reasons I am very angry with the Republicans, particularly with those in Congress. After listing many complaints against them, the editors finish by writing:

Yet none of this excuses the more fundamental problem, which is that too many Republicans now believe their purpose in Washington is keeping power for its own sake. The reform impulse that won the House in 1994 has given way to incumbent protection. This is the root of the earmarking epidemic, which now mars every spending bill and has become a vast new opportunity for Member corruption. This is also part of what corrupted felons Duke Cunningham, Bob Ney, Jack Abramoff, Tony Rudy and Michael Scanlon. Power for its own sake also explains the House GOP’s decision to join Senate Democrats in killing serious reform of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, despite $16 billion in accounting mistakes or fraud. The Members are in bed with the housing subsidy lobby.

Even amid all of this scandal, many Republicans still refuse to acknowledge any problem. Appropriators continue to resist major budget reform, and the same Republicans who gave a Democratic President the line-item veto in the 1990s refused to give a weaker version to a GOP President this year. No wonder so many loyal Republican voters have been telling pollsters they’re not sure if they’ll vote this year.

With his party down in the polls, Mr. Bush has tried to recast the midterm election as a referendum on the war on terror. This strategy may yet save Republicans from losing Congress, both because the war is the most important issue of our time and because the Democrats are calling for retreat in Iraq and essentially for a return to the antiterror policies of the 1990s. But it is no credit to the performance of Republicans in this Congress that their best argument for re-election is the wartime flaws of their opponents.

The GOP’s only saving grace in this election, as far as I can tell, is that they are not Democrats. The number one issue for me is the war and the GOP is fortunate that the Dem leadership isn’t like their political forebears such as Truman or JFK, because if they were I wouldn’t hesistate in voting for them. As it stands the Dems have condemned themselves far worse in my eyes by their own words and I do not trust them enough to take the chance. Yet when it comes to this election, I will not lift a finger to help any of the Republicans. I have no control anyways beyond my one vote, so let the rest of the electorate decide as they will on who to vote for because I can understand whichever way most of them go. The Republican Party needs to be defeated, if not this year than soon when hopefully the war will not be effected. They need a serious lesson from the voters of just whom they work for and time to reassess their priorities and rhetoric – not to mention rediscovering the principles for which they were elected in the first place. I can tell you this: I did not vote GOP because of Pat Robertson or Jerry Falwell or for many of the petty issues of the extreme Right. Flag-burning, gay marriage, and all the other distractions they’ve thrown out do nothing about acting on the issues I care about and I doubt I am alone in this. I’m a realist when it comes to politics so I can certainly understand tossing red meat to a good part of one’s base, but when it gets to be too much it alienates the rest. If the majority of the electorate decides that this is the year to do so, than so be it.

1. [Comment deleted.  This commenter has been repeatedly banned by the blog under his other names and will continue to be banned.]

Comment by Anonymous — October 2, 2006 @ 8:46 pm - October 2, 2006

2. Isn’t this the kind of talk that gets Sullivan branded a traitor?

Comment by keogh — October 2, 2006 @ 9:55 pm - October 2, 2006

3. If the Dems only win 10 House seats and 3 or 4 Senate seats they are going to wish they had put forth a game plan or any platform for reform or alternatives for 1. immigration reform 2. Congressional ethics and term limits 3. Pension security 4. Fighting the terrorists more effectively overseas. 5. NOT pushed a terror suspect civil rights platform. When you win power without a plan you have no plan for governingafter the election. Reagan found that out his second term. Both parties right now don’t want to win for any reason than to have power. No one talks of fixing SS or Medicare for the long run. Prez Bush was dissed even by his own party when he wanted to fix SS for the next 60 years. If conservative turn out is down it’s for one important reason. They don’t think it will make a difference. I get motivated by the sheer hatred by the left of the President. I abhor their dirty tactics and lies. So I can’t wait to vote. Maybe twice (Diebold)

Comment by Gene in Pennsylvania — October 2, 2006 @ 10:05 pm - October 2, 2006

4. “The number one issue for me is the war”

And how’s that going for ya? Hmmm? Especially now that Senator Frist has thrown in the towel on eliminating the Taliban http://tinyurl.com/lh27x Just bring them into the government, we can declare victory and leave. Success! Well, I guess it’s the same GOP that’s given up on bringing bin Laden to justice so why should anyone be surprised. As a wingnut elsewhere suggested, if we do that it’ll all be back to the way it was on Sept. 10, 2001 “minus a skyscraper or two”.

Comment by Ian — October 2, 2006 @ 10:29 pm - October 2, 2006

5. honestly don’t know how any thinking person who gives a damn about this country can vote Repub next month. I just don’t.

Because it beats the ever loving shit out of voting for terrorist cheerleaders who have done NOT A DAMN THING but undermine this country and this administration for the past 6 years.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — October 3, 2006 @ 12:19 am - October 3, 2006

6. A great post, Average Gay Joe. I’m totally fed up with the Republican majorities in the House and Senate — and I can’t say much for the Bush-Cheney administration either. While I can afford to contribute to a lot of candidates, in the end I really control only my own vote. For the first time I will be voting a straight Democratic ballot, although in some cases I’ll definitely have to hold my nose.

By the way, this is my last comment, at least for a few months. It has been interesting, to say the least, to read the various posts and comments and to occasionally engage in “discussions” with others who comment.

But it’s that time of year. Leaves are falling from the trees around my house in mid-America, a signal for me to head home for the winter. With the Gulf of Mexico 70 feet behind my back door, two good boats at my dock, water skis and fishing gear in the pool house, and sunshine almost every day, I have a rule: no computer, no fax machine, only a few hours of TV a week, and a pile of the latest best-selling books to read while catching rays out on the patio.

So I’ll leave the debates to the rest of you.

Comment by Trace Phelps — October 3, 2006 @ 12:49 am - October 3, 2006

7. Just bring them into the government, we can declare victory and leave. Success!

If you are so concerned about the Taliban, IanRaj, why did you and your fellow Democrats do nothing about them when they not only were IN the Afghan government, but WERE the Afghan government — for four-plus years?

Just like with bin Laden, you and yours had ample opportunity to do something, but didn’t — and now you whine and moan when the Bush administration has done forty times what you and yours ever did in dealing with either bin Laden or the Taliban.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — October 3, 2006 @ 1:54 am - October 3, 2006

8. The arch-conservative Washington Times is calling on Hastert to resign as speaker, saying “House Speaker Dennis Hastert must do the only right thing, and resign his speakership at once.”

The Times and the Wall Street Journal are the two most reliably conservative major papers in the country.

Comment by Anonymous — October 3, 2006 @ 2:00 am - October 3, 2006

9. Bush has certainly done forty times the recruiting for al-Qaeda and the Taliban! They never had it so good.

Comment by Anonymous — October 3, 2006 @ 2:02 am - October 3, 2006

10. It looks like WSJ is going along with the idea that this is all caused by PC fear of going after gays.

“But in today’s politically correct culture, it’s easy to understand how senior Republicans might well have decided they had no grounds to doubt Mr. Foley merely because he was gay and a little too friendly in emails. Some of those liberals now shouting the loudest for Mr. Hastert’s head are the same voices who tell us that the larger society must be tolerant of private lifestyle choices, and certainly must never leap to conclusions about gay men and young boys. Are these Democratic critics of Mr. Hastert saying that they now have more sympathy for the Boy Scouts’ decision to ban gay scoutmasters? Where’s Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi on that one?”

Correct me if I’m wrong, but haven’t quite a few of the men who have been arrested for molesting Boy Scouts over the years been married, had kids, etc.?

Since when has the GOP leadership gone out of its way to be PC for gays? The “Marriage Protection Amendment” and all the talk with Congressmembers that society would be destroyed if gay marriage wasn’t stopped doesn’t really seem PC to me. The party has actively courted anti-gay voters and politicians for many years.

Comment by Carl — October 3, 2006 @ 2:20 am - October 3, 2006

11. Bush has certainly done forty times the recruiting for al-Qaeda and the Taliban! They never had it so good.

LOL……except when the Taliban ruled Afghanistan and bin Laden received unquestioned shelter and resources from them.

And what did you Democrats do, Anonymous? Oh, right — nothing.

Why should we go back to the days in which the Taliban was recognized and protected by Democrats as the legitimate government of Afghanistan, and allowed to shelter terrorists like bin Laden with no repercussions?

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — October 3, 2006 @ 2:35 am - October 3, 2006

12. It seems like an attempt to find the easiest target to blame, and apparently, gays are the easiest target.

Personally, I think the best counter-message would be to point out that Foley has never said that he is gay, that being gay has nothing to do with pedophilia anyway, that, to further reinforce that, avowed heterosexuals have molested children of the same gender, and that Foley, regardless of how you slice it, lied to House leadership.

That would put the focus back on pedophilia and Foley’s lying, which is where it belongs.

Furthermore, the reason Pelosi is ranting for a House investigation is because the DOJ was the LAST group of people she wanted investigating — they have subpoena power, they will gather evidence, they won’t let her grandstand, and they will ask a very simple question: since Dems like John Aravosis, who is known to have direct communications with several Dem politicians, already admitted that they knew about the emails months ago, why didn’t THEY act on them, if they were so obvious?

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — October 3, 2006 @ 2:45 am - October 3, 2006

13. This scandal has Republican written all over it. As much as some of the posters on this blog want to turn the spotlight onto Democrats (in various other threads on this site) and away from your Republican heroes, this scandal is all Republican. Enjoy.

Comment by DanielFTL — October 3, 2006 @ 3:26 am - October 3, 2006

14. -Or the WSJ is spot-on in pointing out that Democrats are demanding that gays who are friendly towards children are pedophiles and must be immediately stripped of rank and fired.-

But have Democrats ever said Foley is gay, or criticized him for being gay? He’s always been in the closet, and as far as I know, none of the Democrats or Republicans in Congress have focused on his sexual orientation in faulting him for the messages. These editorials or FRC keep focusing on his sexual orientation and acting like he got away with this because of some massive fear of being seen as anti-gay.

Comment by Carl — October 3, 2006 @ 4:04 am - October 3, 2006

15. #13
    this scandal is all Republican. Enjoy.

Right. Just like Plamegate was all Republican. Just like Blather’s Memogate was all Republican. I could go on.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — October 3, 2006 @ 5:46 am - October 3, 2006

16. [Comment deleted.  This commenter has been banned.]

Comment by raj — October 3, 2006 @ 6:44 am - October 3, 2006

17. [Comment deleted.  This commenter has been banned.]

Comment by raj — October 3, 2006 @ 7:03 am - October 3, 2006

18. I was wondering last night why I would vote for a Democrat. Apparently, if you hate Bush, you’re supposed to vote Democrat. I don’t hate Bush, and the Democrats have given me no other reason to vote for them.

Comment by Nobody — October 3, 2006 @ 9:05 am - October 3, 2006

19. #13

“13
    this scandal is all Republican. Enjoy.

Why don’t libs learn how to argue the issues? Why not debate instead of criminalizing the opposition? Oh that’s right. Their arrogance forbids it. ”

Don’t change the subject Rob. This is about Foley the Republican and the Republican leadership.

Comment by DanielFTL — October 3, 2006 @ 9:11 am - October 3, 2006

20. Nobody in # 19

Then vote for Republicans. No one is forcing you to vote for Democrats.

Comment by DanielFTL — October 3, 2006 @ 9:11 am - October 3, 2006

21. If the RATS had a cohesive plan, I would bet money that they’d win both Houses this fall.

However, let it be known that with the exception of “cut-and-run,” the DNC leadership has NO plan with which to run.

Check out this opinion piece to illustrate my point:

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — October 3, 2006 @ 10:57 am - October 3, 2006

22. #11: “the Taliban was recognized and protected by Democrats as the legitimate government of Afghanistan”

Comment by Ian — October 3, 2006 @ 10:59 am - October 3, 2006

23. #3 Ian:

“I honestly don’t know how any thinking person who gives a damn about this country can vote Repub next month. I just don’t.”

#5 ThatGayConservative:

“That is why thinking people who give a damn about this country won’t vote for the liberal team killing fucktards.”

There is no logical conflict between those two statements, and in fact both of these gentlemen are one hundred percent correct.

Comment by kdogg36 — October 3, 2006 @ 11:31 am - October 3, 2006

24. Liar. The Taliban was only recognized by three countries: Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, and the UAR.

And the Clinton administration.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — October 3, 2006 @ 6:50 pm - October 3, 2006

25. Wasn’t it the Bush Admin and his Enron pals who tried to work with Taliban to get a pipeline built there?
    So I guess NDT could add:
    And the Bushies

Comment by keogh — October 4, 2006 @ 12:48 am - October 4, 2006

26. #20 — At last, an honest lefty who admits there’s no good reason to vote Democrat.

Comment by Nobody — October 4, 2006 @ 11:16 am - October 4, 2006

27. #25 – Uh, 401kplan, your account is short again as usual.

If this were the case, don’t you think the government would have bought out Enron or seen to it that they didn’t fall into bankruptcy if such a plan were in the works?

Try again.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — October 4, 2006 @ 11:32 am - October 4, 2006

28. “I will not lift a finger to help any of the Republicans. I have no control anyways beyond my one vote, so let the rest of the electorate decide as they will on who to vote for because I can understand whichever way most of them go.”

While I understand the resignation that led to that sentiment, I must warn you — You probably will regret it. We had a local vote over school district taxes. I have no kids, the school board made some good points, however I don’t wish to pay even more taxes, so what to do? Let others decide the outcome? The taxes passed, my property taxes went up over $300 per year, and the school district immediately set about raising everyone’s salaries. Don’t give up man. Even a flawed conservative / Republican government is better, on the whole, than the current batch of liberal / Democrats. Fight for it now, or regret it later.

Comment by DoorHold — October 4, 2006 @ 12:56 pm - October 4, 2006

29. […] Wall Street Journal Blasts GOP (October 2, 2006) […]

Pingback by GayPatriot » Posts* Where We Criticized GOP on Spending in Bush Era — April 17, 2009 @ 12:46 pm - April 17, 2009