Changing my Blog Moniker?

Posted by GayPatriotWest at 6:27 pm - October 10, 2006.
Filed under: Blogging,Mythology and the real world

Before I joined my family for my father’s 75th birthday, I asked Bruce if it would be possible for me to change my blog moniker. I wanted something a little more creative than GayPatriotWest, something that highlighted more of my passions and which didn’t pigeonhole me as a “gay blogger.” He told me it would be possible, but then, in the rush to finish one paper and get ready for my trip, I put the idea of a new blog moniker on the back burner.

I came up with the moniker, GayPatriotWest, on the fly. You see, when Bruce first asked me to join the blog, I hesitated, first, because, at the time, I was still a little uncertain about whether I should “come out” as a conservative and later, because I didn’t know what nickname to use in my posts. Had some creative (& compelling) title come to me, I may well have started blogging on my own (albeit anonymously). So, given how much I have enjoyed blogging here, perhaps I should be grateful than no name called out to me.

But, with Bruce’s invitation, I realized I needed to take the plunge and start sharing with the world ideas I was becoming increasingly eager to share with my peers. Thus, with this decision made, I realized I shouldn’t let quibbles over my moniker prevent me from expressing my views, so since I’d been invited me to join the GayPatriot blog and since I live on the West Coast, I decided to become GayPatriotWest.

To be sure, being one what one columnist called “the most reliably conservative gay blog on the Internet,” having “gay” as part of my moniker has allowed us to find a niche in a blogosphere full of great conservative blogs. Still, sometimes I wonder if that name limits us. Perhaps, with our monikers, people assume we’re only offering a gay perspective on a given issue.

To be sure, I do want to blog on a number of gay topics, so perhaps I should remain GayPatriotWest.

I have a few ideas for a new nickname should I decide to make the switch, mostly based on mythological characters. I’ll decide in a few days whether to remain GayPatriotWest or to move to something a little more mythological, a moniker that might better represent the breadth of my interests. And anyway, no matter what my moniker I’ll still be on GayPatriot. 🙂

As I make my decision, I encourage y’all to weigh in with your thoughts. Feel free to chime in the comments section or to e-mail me.

1. Hollywood Dan?

Comment by V the K — October 10, 2006 @ 7:04 pm - October 10, 2006

2. As I think about it, ‘V the K’ is not the nom de net I would have picked for myself. It just kind of happened, and then it just kind of stuck.

Comment by V the K — October 10, 2006 @ 8:14 pm - October 10, 2006

3. How about “Kerfuffle”??

monty

Comment by monty — October 10, 2006 @ 8:27 pm - October 10, 2006

4. West Coast Stud about covers it eh? ConserveThis might work too.

Comment by Gene in Pennsylvania — October 10, 2006 @ 9:37 pm - October 10, 2006

5. Whatever, as long as we can still just call you Dan.

Comment by Leah — October 10, 2006 @ 9:55 pm - October 10, 2006

6. Sadly, the name “Princess Sparkle Pony” is already taken. 😛

Comment by Frank IBC — October 10, 2006 @ 10:22 pm - October 10, 2006

7. Since you’re interested in mythology, try CalApollo (contraction of California and Apollo). Or maybe Deucalion – the mortal who started the race of men after the flood.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — October 10, 2006 @ 10:23 pm - October 10, 2006

8. Patroclus…it seems to me bruce had a reason for GP, and unless you had the same reason and given the unique nature of bruce’s inner thinkings i suspect you did not – it is time for you to sprout your own identity. correct me if i am wrong, i thought it was the responsibility of your blog dad, like a drag mom, to give you your name

Comment by ralph — October 11, 2006 @ 12:25 am - October 11, 2006

9. IpseFastidiro

I’m pretty sure that is actually the ancient Roman god of gay Republicans…

Comment by Anonymous — October 11, 2006 @ 1:03 am - October 11, 2006

10. The name “GayPatriotWest” makes you sound like a regional campus. Merely a UC-Davis, or Texas-Arlington, or North Carolina-Wilmington, or Wisconsin-Milwaukee. You get the point. Go for your own identity.

Something like “Andrew Sullivan in Condoms,” which would distinguish you from other prominent (!) gay bloggers who merely dabble in conservatism, rather than immersing themselves in it. (j/k)

As for using a mythological name: beware the pretentiousness factor.

Comment by Rhodium Heart — October 11, 2006 @ 2:08 am - October 11, 2006

11. How’s aboot “I Hate Me”. From what I’ve read, that name is very you. Talked with Hitler lately?

Comment by SB — October 11, 2006 @ 10:27 am - October 11, 2006

12. Perhaps I should delete your comment SB because it has less to do with this blog — or my ideas — than it does with your prejudices, just rephrasing the standard insults we gay conservatives continually receive from the left.

Comment by GayPatriotWest — October 11, 2006 @ 10:45 am - October 11, 2006

13. I don’t care what you call yourself as long as you keep writing. I enjoy being a regular reader of yours and always look forward to the thoughts, ideas and opinions you offer.

Comment by Blowhard — October 11, 2006 @ 11:09 am - October 11, 2006

14. #11 Aren’t the leftists just the happiest bunch of people?

Comment by Gene in Pennsylvania — October 11, 2006 @ 11:30 am - October 11, 2006

15. You know, GPW, #11 gives me an idea.

The simple fact of the matter is that gay Democrats and liberals are always going to call anyone who doesn’t agree with them completely a “Jewish Nazi” or a “kapo”, or “self-loathing”, or other charming names.

What I think would be the ultimate in-your-face would be to choose one of those names as a blogging moniker.

Why?

Because it would constantly remind the world what gay liberals and Democrats consider to be acceptable — namecalling and hate-flinging.

Because it would make clear that, regardless of how hateful they are towards us, there’s no quenching our fire or spirit.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — October 11, 2006 @ 12:26 pm - October 11, 2006

16. Good point, ND30.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — October 11, 2006 @ 12:56 pm - October 11, 2006

17. You can call yourself Formica Dinette or Freida Lay- just keep blogging!

Something like “Andrew Sullivan in Condoms,”…LOL!

(Why are you trying to make St. Andy of the Eternal Hysteria cry?)

Comment by Tom — October 11, 2006 @ 12:57 pm - October 11, 2006

18. #17 – Tom, please! “Formica Dinette?” “Frieda Lay?”

The man is trying to pick out a new blog moniker, not a drag queen name!

You might as well go with the tried-and-true Hasty Pudding variety of names: Angela Mercy, Anna Rexia, or Vera Newmonia.

Why not go ethnic? How about Lavoris Jackson? Hata Mali? Miso Horny?

Sheesh!

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — October 11, 2006 @ 1:57 pm - October 11, 2006

19. I liked Gay Patriot then and I do now.

Better than say, Effluvia DayLuge

Comment by Miss Grundy — October 11, 2006 @ 8:49 pm - October 11, 2006

20. Well I should have used ‘The Hermit’ instead but anyway…

What about Eaolus (spelling sucks I know) My mythology is rusty but I know he was the sidekick on the TV show and IIRC was his lover in the argonots.

Nah, that makes you the sidekick….

Hmm, CA has the bear in their flag, something ursine maybe?

Comment by The_Livewire — October 11, 2006 @ 11:17 pm - October 11, 2006

21. “Perhaps, with our monikers, people assume we’re only offering a gay perspective on a given issue.”

That doesn’t happen too often at all. So, yeah, ditch the “gay” part.

Comment by jimmy — October 12, 2006 @ 12:48 am - October 12, 2006

22. Better than say, Effluvia DayLuge

Or Anita Bidet.
    Anita Mann would fit, but I think there’s already a writer by that name.

Go with Philip Michael Rotch, Danny!

Comment by ThatGayConservative — October 12, 2006 @ 5:21 am - October 12, 2006

23. Who the hell cares? It’s a moniker for the love of pete. If Bruce uses GayPatriot, what’s wrong with GayPatriotWest?

Comment by Whocares — October 12, 2006 @ 11:23 am - October 12, 2006

24. […] long thought, I have decided to follow up on an idea I first articulated in a post in October 2006 and change my blogging moniker.  As soon as we work out the technical details, I will start […]

Pingback by GayPatriot » Changing my Blog Moniker — April 6, 2009 @ 3:56 am - April 6, 2009

25. […] may of you know, I have long been considering changing my blog moniker, even announcing the immanence of this change earlier this year when I settled on the new name (by […]

Pingback by GayPatriot » GayPatriotWest’s Last Post — August 17, 2009 @ 10:46 pm - August 17, 2009

26. I’d stick with the mionker, but if you want (dare I say it…?) Change, there is:

Hephaestus, Cratos or Helios.

Just an idea. Or you can call yourself, “Andrew Sullivan’s Lost Conscience,” (Missing since August 08).

Hope that helps.