Screenwriter Says Liberals Using Foley Kerfuffle to Take Advantage of “homophobia in the culture”

Posted by GayPatriotWest at 5:22 pm - October 10, 2006.
Filed under: 2006 Elections,FoleyGate,Liberals

And yet when I watch the liberal punsters on television, I can’t help suspecting that they’re taking advantage of the homophobia in the culture in order to make slightly more of this episode than it may in fact turn out to be worth. When I watch the Democratic politicians smack their lips, I can’t help wondering whether they’ve forgotten that this is the sort of scandal that can happen to either party, and there’s no evidence that Democrats would have handled it any better. In short, I can’t help thinking that the homophobia is catching.

–Nora Ephron in Huffington Post.com (Via Best of the Web).

1. Perfect analysis.

I now forgive her for the “Bewitched” remake.

Comment by Rhodium Heart — October 10, 2006 @ 6:13 pm - October 10, 2006

2. I’m trying to remember if I’ve ever seen a gay character in a Nora Ephron film. Or if she has made a good movie since When Harry Met Sally.

Comment by Carl — October 10, 2006 @ 8:30 pm - October 10, 2006

3. I still can’t forgive her “Bewitched” movie. And let’s not forget the forgettable movie “Heartburn.”

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — October 10, 2006 @ 10:24 pm - October 10, 2006

4. “When Harry Met Sally” was good?

You are right though about Nora and Gays. She took “Bewitched” — the gayest sitcom in the history of broadcast TV — gayer than even the desexed “Will and Grace” — and completely de-fagged it with her movie version. So wrong.

Comment by Rhodium Heart — October 10, 2006 @ 10:28 pm - October 10, 2006

5. What was gay about Bewitched? I heard that one or the other of the Darrins was gay but that wouldn’t make the show gay and people watching didn’t know that anyhow.

This is a mystery to me. Explain please. And how was it de-fagged? (I didn’t see the movie, but I’ve seen the TV show, of course.)

Comment by Synova — October 11, 2006 @ 12:09 am - October 11, 2006

6. -“When Harry Met Sally” was good?-

Well, I liked it. I can’t stand Meg Ryan but I thought she had great chemistry with Billy Crystal, and I’ve always been a big fan of Bruno Kirby. RIP Bruno 🙁

-What was gay about Bewitched?-

Paul Lynde.

Comment by Carl — October 11, 2006 @ 3:34 am - October 11, 2006

7. #5 – Synova, let me put it into context:

First off, the premise is a mortal marrying a witch, who looks like a mortal but is different. This can be a metaphor for gay people, who (for the most part) look/act straight but are different. And of course, unless you were with your “kind,” you really couldn’t show off your “powers.”

Second, most of the actors who appeared in this series – Dick Sargent (Darrin #2), Agnes Moorehead (Endora), Maurice Evans (Maurice), Bernard Fox (Dr. Bombay), Paul Lynde (Uncle Arthur) – were either gay or bisexual. Some, like Lynde, were obvious screamers. Again, it plays on the metaphor that gays, like witches, are “different.”

The above explanation is part of the reason why it has such a gay cult following. And above all, it is CAMPY as hell and funny to boot. It was one of my faves growing up as a kid.

Hope this helps. See you at the “Cosmos Cotillion” for a martini. (ZAP!)

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — October 11, 2006 @ 1:02 pm - October 11, 2006

8. -What was gay about Bewitched?-

Agnes Moorehead.

Comment by Tom — October 11, 2006 @ 1:03 pm - October 11, 2006

9. Of course, personally speaking, if I could twitch my nose and do fun stuff (like turning Nancy Pelosi into a monkey, for starters), you can bet I would in a NY minute.

Please. You demean monkeys.

Personally, if I could do the nose-twitching thing, I’d be tempted to witch all the Dems who insisted that there was no reason to do anything about Saddam back in time and into Ba’athist Iraq — so they could gather first-hand knowledge.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — October 11, 2006 @ 2:07 pm - October 11, 2006

10. Believe it or not, ND30, it was by watching “Bewitched” that I actually DID learn how to twitch my nose!

Unfortunately, nothing happens when I do it…except Hubby’s remarking “do you have to sneeze or something?”

Four years together and he STILL asks me that. Sheesh.

Regards,