Redemption? We’ll see…

Greetings, my dear friends.
Been a while since I posted here (I promise, I’ll be better…is Kurlander still out there?).

This summer, I posed the question “Where’s the love?” when it comes to pop-culture.

Brandon Flowers, notorious loud-mouth and lead singer of one of my favorite new bands, The Killers, seems to be listening. He told an obscure industry magazine recently that he’s “offended” by Billie Joe Armstrong’s “really cheap” anti-American bent on Green Day’s most recent CD, American Idiot.

Now, this seems to some observers to be a ploy on Flowers’ part to garner attention for The Killers’ newly released sophomore offering, but it’s something at least. To be sure, his criticism seems to be luke-warm. Perhaps saying, it’s not what their message is, but rather how they’re delivering it. To wit:

“Americans are getting a bad rap right now…It’s because of the war and everything that’s going on. It’s understandable, but to an extent it’s not fair because we’re just people who were born here.” (Emphasis added.)

He may be hedging a bit with his “it’s understandable” stuff, but, like I said, at least it’s something.

1. I recall his saying other things that were pro-American and anti-defeatist left , so this may not be a publicity stunt.

Comment by chris — October 19, 2006 @ 12:10 am - October 19, 2006

2. I think there are a great many things to critique about American culture. In particular, the notions of freedom and individual self-determination are not in particularly good health, either in the law or in the minds of most Americans (a situation that has been developing slowly and cannot be blamed on any one person or group). A trenchant reaction to this is definitely in order, even if it would strike some here as anti-American or unpatriotic (it’s actually quite the opposite).

Incidentally, I’m certainly not defending American Idiot or anyone in particular; although of course I’ve heard a number of songs from that album on the radio, I really don’t know what it’s about. Also, despite the problems we have here in the US, it’s surely true that this country is still the bastion of freedom in the world. Unfortunately, that’s not particularly comforting to me.

Comment by kdogg36 — October 19, 2006 @ 7:38 am - October 19, 2006

3. kdogg: Unfortunately, Billie Joe was not writing in criticism of government largesse, high taxation, and other attacks on self-determination (what we might consider important to defend against)…he writes against the very ideas of individualism and self-determination. Check out some of the songs if you can stomach it.

I’m always struck by the juxtaposition: Those academics and artists who are most vocally opposed to the means of the preservation of liberty and freedom have most to lose if we don’t succeed. But anyway…

Comment by ColoradoPatriot — October 19, 2006 @ 8:27 am - October 19, 2006

4. In answer to your question, I am still here, and giving Andrianna Sullington more righteous smackdowns than any blog but Ace of Spades.

As for Green Day, my 15 and 16 year old sons think they’re “so over,” if that provides any perspective. They only like the early stuff. Remember, Green Day comes from the land of Nancy Pelosi and American Taliban Johnny Walker Lindh. It should be no surprise that their politics are anti-American to the extreme.

But, the real sacrifice of art to politics was Battlestar Galactica’s new season. Logical narrative and compelling characterizations have been jettisoned through an airlock, in favor of left-wing agitprop with all the subtlety of a hammer to the face. The show has gone from the best thing on TV to completely unwatchable.

Comment by V the K — October 19, 2006 @ 8:42 am - October 19, 2006

5. Billie Joe Armstrong is a certified wanker.
    It looks like he is trying to make himself relevant by criticizing America. Sort of Like System of a Down was lauded because they had political lyrics. (But my nephew assures me they are talented and good)
    It’s a typical cycle, artists who can’t sell records on talent try to sell records by having a message…I just wish they all had the talent of Jay Farrar or Bob Mould…If wishes were fishes….

Comment by keogh — October 19, 2006 @ 10:05 am - October 19, 2006

6. Stumbled across this website. Gay Conservative? Na that’s illogical, paradoxical. You can’t honestly believe that. American conservatism has a deeply christian streak, christianity has condemned gays in society, prevented them from coming out, making lives miserable, making them out to be freaks. Pity as a gay person you feel a need to align your gayness poitically. That’s very sad actually. But if anything, conservatism has done nothing positive for people who are gay. And that is from someone watching from the outside.

Comment by Neo — October 19, 2006 @ 10:09 am - October 19, 2006

7. #3 ColoradoPatriot: I am sure you are right. I have heard some of the songs from that album, of course, but only as background noise.

Frankly, a whole lot of my friends in college thought Green Day was “so over” back in 1994 or so when Dookie came out! 🙂

Comment by kdogg36 — October 19, 2006 @ 10:39 am - October 19, 2006

8. Well, it is a long way to understanding, isn’t it? on my blog I posted out of Russia, some nice pictures, The White David alike! There are no borders!
    Oskar Lewis

Comment by oskar lewis — October 19, 2006 @ 12:08 pm - October 19, 2006

9. Off topic (my apologies):

This is one of the best articles I’ve read in the mainstream media in a long, long time, though I disagree with the author that “reflexive loyalty to the rule of law is an indispensable cultural asset” (I think that citizens should always continually question and challenge their government).

Comment by kdogg36 — October 19, 2006 @ 1:11 pm - October 19, 2006

10. My current favorite fact about America…nearly 70% of Americans now realize that the Iraq war was a big mistake

Comment by James — October 19, 2006 @ 3:19 pm - October 19, 2006

11. [Comment deleted.  This commenter has been repeatedly banned.]

Comment by Frank Felcher — October 19, 2006 @ 7:18 pm - October 19, 2006

12. How about a noble cause that turned out to be a mistake?

I will say that if Muslims can’t make a democracy (or tolerance for gays) work over there, then we as a democracy (tolerant of gays) can’t allow any Muslims over here.

Comment by David Ross — October 19, 2006 @ 10:01 pm - October 19, 2006

13. David: I am sympathetic with what you’re saying. But, echoing Peter H., the liberal (in the true sense of the word) part of me says that we should judge people on who they are, rather than what they are. As irrational as I think Islam is, I still want to judge each Muslim on an individual basis rather than paint them all with one broad stroke.

Comment by kdogg36 — October 19, 2006 @ 10:32 pm - October 19, 2006