Of Macacas, Unsubstantiated Allegations, Jim Webb’s Novel & Other Insignificant Issues

If this had not been the year where the Democrats — and their allies in the MSM — whipped themselves into high dudgeon over a Republican Congressman’s inappropriate Instant Messages with underage male pages — or where The Washington Post thought a Republican Senator’s one-time use of the odd word “macaca” to describe an operative of his political opponent, I would agree with Glenn Reynolds that the dirty passages in that Senator’s Democratic opponent’s was “not that big a deal.” After all, as Glenn puts it “they’re novels.

When I wrote my own novel, I chose not to include any sex scenes, largely because I thought I could better tell my story without them. Many times, when I read a novel, I found the sex scenes gratuitous, distracting from rather than enhancing the storytelling. After reading an excerpt from Jim Webb’s (the Democrat in question) novel, I don’t think that bland prose could do much to enhance any book (or story) — unless the rest of his writing was even worse.

Under normal circumstances, a candidate’s bad prose (in a novel written well before the campaign) should not be an issue in a Senate campaign. Yet, this year, the MSM has seen fit to make an issue of unsubstantiated allegations that Senator Allen used the “N” word well over thirty years ago. And The Washington Post‘s own ombudsman acknowledged that “when you put it all together,” her paper’s coverage of Allen’s use of the word, “macaca,” “looked like piling on.

To be sure, it was a news story, but not one meriting story after story for day after day while the paper downplayed (or downright ignored) the Senator’s stands on the issues. If the the media focuses on one odd statement made by a candidate — as well as alleged statements he made in his youth — is it not then appropriate to bring up actual passages that his opponent wrote in a book?

I wonder now if Democrats — and the MSM — wish they hadn’t spent so much time on Foleygate. For that focus effectively requires them to address Webb’s prose.

Given how they handled that story, it’s clear that had it been a Republican who had written of the sexual encounters between adults and juveniles (as Mr. Webb did), they would surely have made this an issue long before the candidate’s Democratic opponent had. Indeed, as Jon Henke, George Allen’s campaign blogger wrote to Instapundit, Keith Olberman was quite upset about sex scenes in Scooter Libby’s book, saying that “if a Democratic White House official had written this book, his head would be on a pike somewhere.

As we have seen with Democrats grandstanding on former Rep Foley’s foibles, the Democrats will do anything to advance their political agenda. Commenting on how the Democrats handled that issue Camille Paglia (as Bruce noted earlier today) was “especially repulsed” by her party’s “manipulative use of a gay issue for political purposes.”

Bearing in mind how the Democrats politicize whatever they can, Allahpundit wrote, “If George Allen had written this book, not only would the left be going berserk, they’d be circulating lists of characters in his other books whom they suspect of being gay” (Via Instapundit). By making much of minor matters, Democrats and the MSM have opened the door for those on the right to dredge up this stuff.

Jim Webb’s bad prose shouldn’t be an issue in his Senate campaign. But, Senator Allen’s use of the word “macaca” should not have been an issue once he apologized for making such an odd comment. Nor should unsubstantiated allegations of his using racial slurs long before he began his political career.

Before they get upset that Senator Allen is making an issue of his opponent’s tawdry prose, Democrats and their MSM allies should wonder at how much they made of issues of equal insignificance.

1. the Democrats will do anything to advance their political agenda.

Unlike Republicans? Yeah right. Both parties are guilty of this. I don’t see how either side can be upity about this and keep a straight face.

Comment by FormerRepublican — October 27, 2006 @ 7:10 pm - October 27, 2006

2. It’s written that as you sow, so shall you reap. The Democrats didn’t create the Foley scandal, that was the creep pervert Foley. But they hyped it to Armageddon-like proportions. Now, it’s blowing up in their faces. There’s justice in that.

Comment by V the K — October 27, 2006 @ 7:15 pm - October 27, 2006

3. Exactly, V the K.

Comment by GayPatriotWest — October 27, 2006 @ 7:24 pm - October 27, 2006

4. I think Allen is going to win, but I don’t think this issue is going to help him. Rich Lowry at National Review dismissed the issue. One of the books in question was given a positive review by John McCain.

What was written in a work of fiction doesn’t really compare to the Mark Foley situation.

Comment by Carl — October 27, 2006 @ 8:54 pm - October 27, 2006

5. And even though, as of yet, no one has yet to uncover one shred of evidence that any member of the House leadership (or any other Republican Representative) knew of the sexual nature of Foley’s Instant Messages before their content become public information last month, Democrats and the MSM still suggest GOP complicity in the former Congressman’s shenanigans.

I’m surprised GPW, half-truths are usually the tools of Troll Triplets. For all you know, everyone on the house floor knew about Foley. Or perhaps not. Either way, at this point, to say that no evidence has been found, is misleading.

There is a committee looking into the event, there may in fact be quite a lot of evidence, but its under the seal of the investigation until the committee is finished. We will have to wait to see what they say. Although I would guess that will be after the election.

Comment by Patrick (Gryph) — October 27, 2006 @ 8:58 pm - October 27, 2006

6. Just like the Reid corruption, when it’s a Dem, we’re suppose to shrug our shoulders. It’s hard to blame the liberals who use the MSM like they were tools. Webbs novels are just that.Novels. But I love acting with mock outrage when Dems are hoisted on their own petards.

Comment by Gene in Pennsylvania — October 27, 2006 @ 9:43 pm - October 27, 2006

7. Did you guys see Mrs. Cheney spit fire this afternoon??? Guess she only took a little dunk.

Comment by Samuel — October 27, 2006 @ 10:26 pm - October 27, 2006

8. I promised myself months ago that I would no longer comment on blogs. But I must speak up in defense of Jim Webb — the two of us are graduates of the same high school and I have long admired and respected his service to the country as a decorated Marine hero and as Ronald Reagan’s Secretary of the Navy.

I’ve read most of the books Jim wrote and found nothing objectionable. Novels are, after all, fiction. Some authors include details, such as sexual activity, and others choose not to. Words, scenes, events and characters Jim used to tell stories of fiction are not a legitimate campaign issue anymore than Arnold’s R-rated, violence filled movies should be an issue in his gubernatorial campaign.

But George Allen’s use of a racial slur is a legitimate issue because it may be a sign of flaws in his character. Yes, he apologized to the young man for calling him a macaca but before he apologized he took more positions than a high-priced hooker. At one point he claimed he’d been misunderstood, that he didn’t actually say “macaca”, that he was referring to the young cameraman’s mohawk haircut. That was dropped when the Allen camp was reminded that the young man had been wearing a baseball cap and the senator couldn’t see his haircut.

What offended me more than the use of “macaca” was Allen welcoming the young man to America and to Virginia, having made an assumption that because he was dark-skinned and obviously South Asian that he was an immigrant. (The young man was born in Virginia, which is more than George Allen can say for himself.)

It’s not known whether Allen was a racist in his younger days. A number of people who knew him in college say he was and cite specific incidents. Almost as many people who knew him then say they never heard racist comments or noticed a racist attitude. So the jury is out on that issue. But I must say, his almost casual use of the racial slur “macaca” just weeks ago makes one wonder.

Comment by Jack L. Allen — October 28, 2006 @ 12:15 am - October 28, 2006

9. And I’m sure, Jack, that you also agree with Webb’s views on women.

But of course, Webb has the advantage; feminazis who would tear a Republican to shreds for saying half of that will kiss the feet of Dems who cheat on their wives, screw around with their interns, and sexually harass anyone on which they can get their hands.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — October 28, 2006 @ 2:57 am - October 28, 2006

10. Let’s be realistic – nobody ever even knew (or used) the word “macaca” prior to the Allen/Webb campaign. And if it is indeed considered a slur, why isn’t it being called “the M-word?”

That being said, it is a shame when the Drive-By Media and their Dhimmicrat comrades takes a politician to task for a non-issue. Because when a real character issue erupts, like Webb’s misogynistic and pedophiliac ramblings in his so-called novels, everyone is too inured or bemused to even take that into consideration.

And for the record, since I myself am a writer and budding novelist, I can take Webb to task as being a misanthrope and unfit for higher office. According to the DNC talking points, I have “moral authority” to do so.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — October 28, 2006 @ 2:58 am - October 28, 2006

11. Jack – However honorable Webb’s life and service before this century may be, and however big of a deal we should (or shouldn’t) make of Allen’s one use of some dumb made-up word off the cuff… The fact remains that Webb has run one of the most issue-less, disgraceful, and racist-in-his-own-way (even making Allen’s mom’s ancestry a target!!) campaigns in modern history. Webb has lost his honor and integrity.

It’s a microcosm of the fall campaign as a whole, in the following respect: the Republican is not good enough to deserve to win… but the Democrat, unfortunately for all of us, clearly deserves to lose.

Comment by Calarato — October 28, 2006 @ 7:43 am - October 28, 2006

12. Anyone who thinks macaca is a made up word, really needs to sit down and take a good hard long look in the mirror.

Comment by Samuel — October 28, 2006 @ 9:28 am - October 28, 2006

13. -Did you guys see Mrs. Cheney spit fire this afternoon??? Guess she only took a little dunk.-

I guess there’s a reason that she wasn’t exactly a big fixture in the 2000 or 2004 campaign.

Comment by Carl — October 28, 2006 @ 9:38 am - October 28, 2006

14. I agree Allen shouldn’t have used the word ‘Macaca.’ ‘Apu’ would have been a lot funnier.

Comment by V the K — October 28, 2006 @ 12:01 pm - October 28, 2006

15. Were the books sent to Congressional pages?

Comment by sean — October 28, 2006 @ 12:35 pm - October 28, 2006

16. We need a federal investigation to see if they were, good idea.

Comment by Gene in Pennsylvania — October 28, 2006 @ 12:47 pm - October 28, 2006

17. Interview question for Webb:

“Do you use bookmarks, or do you just bend over the pages?”

Comment by Frank IBC — October 28, 2006 @ 1:03 pm - October 28, 2006

18. #12 – Then kindly provide an etymology for it, Samuel. I looked up the word at the time the story broke, and I couldn’t find it then – though I am positive some Webb supporter has since added it to Wikipedia (retroactively claiming reality for it).

Nor had I ever heard it used – so if it’s a regional slang, Samuel, maybe you can fill us in on the circumstances prior to 2006 where you heard it. Since you know it well.

Comment by Calarato — October 28, 2006 @ 3:06 pm - October 28, 2006

19. you should check out lynne cheneys erotic lesbian novel “sisters”. I can’t believe she would get up and talk about someone else’s dirty book when she has a very dirty book. and what about scooter libby and his bear on child sex? republican is over. as the great 1040’s wrestler Tor Johnson used to say “caw home boyss, caw home” (go home)

Comment by lester — October 28, 2006 @ 7:27 pm - October 28, 2006

20. ?? man I need a drink or something.

Comment by Gene in Pennsylvania — October 28, 2006 @ 10:08 pm - October 28, 2006

21. I was familiar with “macaca” long before George Allen used it as a slur against a dark-skinned young man.

When my best friend was younger his parents employed a French woman from North Africa as household manager. She had no use for black people, whether it was one of the maids, the gardener or delivery men for vendors. She regularly used the term “macaca” when talking about them. It was her version of the American “N” word. My friend thought it was funny and used it himself when he was too young to know better.

George Allen’s mother is French from a North African country and it is hard to believe he didn’t know exactly what the word meant. I think Allen was trying to be cute in front of a mostly white rural audience and had no udea the the tape of his comments would become public.

Comment by Jack L. Allen — October 29, 2006 @ 1:03 am - October 29, 2006

22. #21 – I thought his mother was Jewish. Is she or isn’t she? Make up your mind.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — October 29, 2006 @ 10:45 am - October 29, 2006

23. #19: Lynn Cheney and Scooter Libby are not running for office, but thanks for repeating the talking point every other lefty has picked up from DailyKos. Are you guys even capable of thinking for yourselves?

Comment by V the K — October 29, 2006 @ 12:57 pm - October 29, 2006

24. I like to think of Webb’s novel as being what the Boy Scout Manual would read like if the ACLU had its way.

Comment by V the K — October 29, 2006 @ 1:36 pm - October 29, 2006

25. #22 — Peter, I read that Senator Allen acknowledged that his mother is Jewish. I could care less whether she’s Jewish or Martian; that’s her private life and no one’s business. But I also understand she’s of French descent from a North African country — Tunisa, I believe — and that raises the possibility that her children, including George, knew what “macaca” means (other than monkey).

#24 — Senator Allen and the GOP right are grasping for straws to be making an issue of Jim Webb’s novels. The one that seems to be raising Allen’s dander the most is, I understand, recommended reading for Marines. The Commandant of the Marine Corps has the book on his official reading list. I’ll take a Marine general’s jugment over Senator Allen’s any day.

Comment by Jack L. Allen — October 29, 2006 @ 8:15 pm - October 29, 2006

26. So: In other words, we’re back at Allen’s mother’s ancestry being a campaign issue – a very bad, ugly and dishonorable place indeed to which Webb campaign operatives chose to take the campaign.

Comment by Calarato — October 29, 2006 @ 9:35 pm - October 29, 2006

27. The Washington Post, by its on admission, ran over 159 stories on ‘Macaca.’ In whose mind is that not overkill?

Comment by V the K — October 30, 2006 @ 9:24 am - October 30, 2006

28. #26: So: In other words, we’re back at Allen’s mother’s ancestry being a campaign issue – a very bad, ugly and dishonorable place indeed to which Webb campaign operatives chose to take the campaign.

It becomes relevant if Allen calls someone a “macaca” and then says he made it up off the cuff… which definitely could be true, but that seems pretty creepy anyhow, especially followed by the ambiguous but troubling “welcome to Virginia” comment. At any rate, Allen made this an issue by using an unusual word to describe a racial minority.

Is there anywhere in the country where a bona fide “good guy” is running, with friendly views toward gay people and a basically pro-individual-freedom philosophy? These choices are awful. And, as far as I’m concerned, anyone who votes for someone they really don’t like is to blame if we keep just having bad choices in years to come.

Comment by kdogg36 — October 30, 2006 @ 9:35 am - October 30, 2006

29. It becomes relevant if Allen calls someone a “macaca” and then says he made it up off the cuff… which definitely could be true, but that seems pretty creepy anyhow, especially followed by the ambiguous but troubling “welcome to Virginia” comment.

Kdogg, here’s the quote:

This fellow here over here with the yellow shirt, Macaca, or whatever his name is. He’s with my opponent. He’s following us around everywhere. And it’s just great. We’re going to places all over Virginia, and he’s having it on film and it’s great to have you here and you show it to your opponent because he’s never been there and probably will never come. […] Let’s give a welcome to Macaca, here. Welcome to America and the real world of Virginia.

At the time, Webb was making a name for himself off fundraising in places that were emphatically not Virginia. Allen’s entire point with the “Welcome to” part is that the Webb campaign wasn’t even spending its time in the “real world” of Virginia, and his was.

Personally, I think the reason for most of the flap was because it stung hard; Webb IS a carpetbagger, a puppet of the DNC, and was out making withdrawals from the DNC ATM rather than being in his own state campaigning — which is a no-no in Southern politics.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — October 30, 2006 @ 1:48 pm - October 30, 2006

30. It also sounds like the guy was a “campaign stalker” who, while not deserving abuse, may have had a bit of ridiicule coming.

And Allen used some silly word, which Webb supporters have now linked back to Allen’s mother’s North African Jewish ancestry, which they have disgustingly tried to plant as a campaign issue in other ways as well.

Comment by Calarato — October 30, 2006 @ 2:03 pm - October 30, 2006

31. If Webb and his cronies were as hard on the terrorists as much as they were on Allen, we would have no more al-Qaeda around.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — October 30, 2006 @ 3:55 pm - October 30, 2006

32. #29 North Dallas Thirty: In my post I described the “welcome to Virginia” comment as “ambiguous but troubling,” and I stick by that evaluation. 🙂 I should have called it the “Welcome to America” comment, because that would have been more precise.

I don’t know if the Webb aide’s race had any impact on what George Allen said. Your explanation may be entirely accurate. However, there’s just something creepy about George Allen pointing to this guy, calling him “Macaca, or whatever his name is” (would he have said that if it was a white guy?), and then saying “welcome to America.” I am struggling for the right word… “creepy” is accurate, but doesn’t quite do it… it’s just not how any socially adept people I know would act. It’s not a smoking gun that George Allen is a flaming racist, but let’s just say that there’s something definitely unsavory about it to me.

Comment by kdogg36 — October 30, 2006 @ 4:27 pm - October 30, 2006

33. Let’s put it this way – who do the terrorists hope will win the Congressional races? And WHY?

I honestly have no clue. They might be hoping Democrats win, thinking they’ll be less tough on terrorism… or they might be hoping the Republicans win, thinking that Bush’s strategy distracts world attention away from them.

I don’t have much of a horse in this race because I don’t think my life is going to change much either way, and certainly neither the Democrats or Republicans are going to be moving government in the direction I’d like to see it move. I guess I am weakly rooting for Democrats, because I’d rather see divided government. But I am apprehensive, because if a Democrat then wins the presidence in 2008, we’ll probably have one-party government again, ready to force nationalized healthcare and even more socialism down my throat than there already is.

Comment by kdogg36 — October 30, 2006 @ 4:37 pm - October 30, 2006

34. v to the k- scooter libby was an assistant to both bush and cheney. obviously neither of them had a problem with what he wrote. and jiom webb was secretary of the navy under REAGAN. that was AFTER his books were published. books that feature recommendations by both john mcain and the US MILITARY.

and the “webb is a pervert” story has already died. along with the harry reid land deal story and the GOP’s hopes

Comment by lester — October 30, 2006 @ 5:54 pm - October 30, 2006

35. Uh, lester, don’t start popping open that champagne just yet….

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — October 30, 2006 @ 6:29 pm - October 30, 2006

36. Also, I just find it ironic how the Drive-By Media is behaving with respect to the Webb smut novels. I don’t remember the Washington Post or ABC News having any problems whatsoever publishing verbatim excerpts of the Mark Foley instant messages or the Mark Foley e-mails. But now all of a sudden we are to condemn the George Allen campaign for what it is doing vis-à-vis the novels written by Jim Webb.

Hypocrisy, thy name is liberalism.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — October 30, 2006 @ 6:47 pm - October 30, 2006

37. Hi!
    Nice info, big thx.

Comment by NickySS — December 24, 2006 @ 9:25 pm - December 24, 2006

38. […] have known, particularly given former Senator George Allen’s (R-VA) use of the word “macaca” to refer to a left-wing activist covering his campaign, that a media firestorm would ensue […]

Pingback by GayPatriot » Of Lipstick, Macacas & the Media — September 10, 2008 @ 8:18 pm - September 10, 2008

39. […] the apology, the Washington Post alone would ran over 100 articles (159 by one count) suggesting the Republican was a racist.  While Allen’s former colleague from the Golden […]

Pingback by GayPatriot » If Ma’am Boxer Were a Republican, her political career would be over — July 17, 2009 @ 5:36 pm - July 17, 2009