Support Peter Hankwitz, Openly Gay Republican in California’s 27th Congressional District

In a surprisingly even-handed article for the LA Times, the local daily to which I no longer subscribe, reporter Amanda Covarrubias profiles Peter Hankwitz, an openly gay Republican running for Congress in California’s San Fernando Valley. (H/t: OpinionJournal’s Political Diary (available by subscription).) Alas that I cannot vote for this good man — and that he has little chance of winning in his gerrymandered district.

Hankwitz, like me wants to return the “the GOP to a Barry Goldwater conservatism that emphasizes fiscal over social policy,” contending, “the federal government has no business being involved in social issues.”

A television producer, Hankwitz has observed something that I have also noted:

It’s so much easier to be openly gay in the Republican Party than to be a Republican in Hollywood.

While he has only received a few pieces of hate mail, it seems the missives he receives are similar in tone to those that Bruce and I have received (and similar in tone to some of our comments):

The only ones who bring it [his sexuality] up are gay Democrats who have a problem with the fact that I’m a Republican,” he said, adding that those writers have accused him of being the equivalent of a black KKK member or a Jewish Nazi.

Seems I’ve heard such slurs before — on more than one occasion.

Anyway, this will be one of the few times when I recommend you read an LA Times article and encourage you to vote for Peter Hankwitz if you live in California’s Twenty-Seventh Congressional District.

1. “Seems I’ve heard such slurs before — on more than one occasion.” There is a reason you’ve heard these “slurs” before ya’ big dummy! Although I think that it is counterproductive to analogize to the Nazis and (to a much smaller degree) the KKK, sometimes you have to call a spade a spade. You and I are NOT WANTED by modern day Republicans (re: GOP) because of our God-given same-sex attraction.

Comment by RealColoradoConservative — November 6, 2006 @ 3:57 pm - November 6, 2006

2. And of course, RCC, there are so many wonderful examples of how much Democrats want us and support us.

And of course, what do gay leftists call that? “Pro-gay” and “gay-supportive”.

If you were being consistent, RCC, you would condemn HRC, gay Democrats, and other groups who gave tens of millions of dollars to homophobes like Kerry.

But what you’re going to do is to whine and spin and start playing moral relativist to explain why it was good for them to do that.

And that’s also why hatemongering gay leftists like yourself namecall people like me and GPW “Jewish Nazis” — because you can’t and won’t deal with your own blatant support of homophobia.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — November 6, 2006 @ 4:30 pm - November 6, 2006

3. RCC, your prejudices notwithstanding, Peter Hankwitz has it right–it is easier to be openly gay in the GOP than to be a Republican in Hollywood. You claim my party doesn’t want me, yet my experience has differed from your prejudices. As has that of many other gay Republicans.

Comment by GayPatriotWest — November 6, 2006 @ 4:37 pm - November 6, 2006

4. Peter Hankwitz was recently here in middle Tennessee for a small fund raising event. I found him to be intelligent, charming and likable. While he and I did not agree on every topic which came up, I was pleased to be able to support his candidacy. I join Dan in encouraging those who can to vote for him.

Comment by Michael K. Bassham — November 6, 2006 @ 4:49 pm - November 6, 2006

5. Yes, cuz the conservatives have such a long history of being generous and decent to hollywood.

Last time I checked, Republicanism was a choice. Or were you born that way?

Comment by God of Biscuits — November 6, 2006 @ 5:21 pm - November 6, 2006

6. GPW, please inform me more about my prejudices and how your “experience has differed from your (my) prejudices.” (Seriously, I don’t even know what that sentence means.) And please, tell me more about how Republicans in Hollywood make any differance to me and my life. I have first hand experience on how difficult it is to be a gay Republican. I grew up in Kansas and have lived in Denver for the last 10 years. I don’t think I need to really break the news to you that here in the MidWest gays are villified and mocked openly by our Republican cohorts. I think it is great that gays are more welcome in the GOP on the West Coast, but that is hardly a surprise. Please don’t be so blind to geography to think that what happens on the coasts has any affect on what happens to us here in the fly-overs. ND30, I would greatly appreciate it if you would cut out putting words in my mouth and attributing repugnant viewpoints to myself. I consider your posts slanderous and deeply misguided, not to mention completely devoid of logic or coherent thought. The fact is that I am a conservative without a party and I didn’t comment on John Kerry and other leftists because they have nothing to do with this post or my initial comments. Are you that blinded by hate that you really believe the lies that you post?…Anytime you want to apologize for your boorish behavior and all-around idiocy would be fine.

Comment by RealColoradoConservative — November 6, 2006 @ 5:43 pm - November 6, 2006

7. RealColoradoConservative, I have been involved in the GOP as an openly gay man and found greater welcome there than when I identified myself as a Republican in some gay circles. That’s what I mean by my experience being different from your prejudices.

Have you tried to join GOP organizations and been rebuffed?

Comment by GayPatriotWest — November 6, 2006 @ 5:54 pm - November 6, 2006

8. I repeat myself, RCC:

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — November 6, 2006 @ 5:56 pm - November 6, 2006

9. GPW: It is not a matter of attempting to join an organization and being rebuffed. It is a matter of joining an organization and being humiliated and dehuminized by its inherent bigotry and misguided vitriol. I have enough decency to know when and where I am not wanted…you would do well to figure that much out yourself. Like you I am also an openly-gay man who identifies as a conservative. Why would it surprise you that the gay community would be put-off by your political stance? While homophobia is not isolated to the right, it is most certainly a part of the GOP platform.

ND30: What a reasoned and mature response. Thank you for not being a complete ass.

That is what I would post if you were an intelligent and level-headed human being capable of honest discussion. But since you have proven yourself to be a self-aggrandizing asshat who refuses to stick to the points of the post, I’ll follow suit.

“ND30, I would greatly appreciate it if you would cut out putting words in my mouth and attributing repugnant viewpoints to myself. I consider your posts slanderous and deeply misguided, not to mention completely devoid of logic or coherent thought. The fact is that I am a conservative without a party and I didn’t comment on John Kerry and other leftists because they have nothing to do with this post or my initial comments. Are you that blinded by hate that you really believe the lies that you post?…Anytime you want to apologize for your boorish behavior and all-around idiocy would be fine.”

In all seriousness ND30, what you are doing by posting lies about myself and my position is completely wrong and vile. I am not a violent man but if you were to attempt this type of abuse against me in public you would find yourself in a very uncomfortable position. STOP POSTING HERE IF ALL YOU HAVE TO OFFER IS ABUSE AND LIES. WHAT YOU ARE ATTEMPTING TO DO HERE IS SERIOUSLY MISGUIDED AND WRONG.

Comment by RealColoradoConservative — November 6, 2006 @ 6:15 pm - November 6, 2006

10. The “tolerant” left: Do as I want, or I threaten violence.

Comment by Attmay — November 6, 2006 @ 6:34 pm - November 6, 2006

11. Like you I am also an openly-gay man who identifies as a conservative. Why would it surprise you that the gay community would be put-off by your political stance?

Because, RCC, as I pointed out above, the gay community has zero problem with “inherent bigotry and misguided vitriol” when it comes from Democrats. Indeed, they cheer it as “pro-gay” and “gay-supportive”, and channel it tens of millions of dollars taken as donations from gay families.

And that is entirely the point of GPW’s post. Why do gay Democrats call Republicans “Jewish Nazis”, when they themselves support homophobic bigots, homophobic slurs, and antigay activity?

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — November 6, 2006 @ 6:35 pm - November 6, 2006

12. #10 – Excellent post! Way to expose your illiteracy and cognitive dissonance!

#11 – “Furthermore, if we are supposed to know “where we’re not wanted”, why do you want us to ally with bigoted gay Democrats, who call us names like “Jewish Nazi”?”

Even more lies and slander from idiot ND30, par for the course I’m afraid. When have I EVER said anything even remotely approaching this? Is it possible for you to post without being an abusive liar? Do you get off on spreading lies and attacking your fellow gay conservatives for some reason? It is the shallow anti-intellectual hogwash and BLATANT LIES that you spew that gives conservatives a bad name…so for the sake of us that actually care about the state of the world and modern conservatism please shut down your computer and no longer post until you have something decent to add to the discussion.

Comment by RealColoradoConservative — November 6, 2006 @ 6:51 pm - November 6, 2006

13. Do you get off on spreading lies and attacking your fellow gay conservatives for some reason?

One, gay conservative or no, if I disagree with you, I will make that point clear.

Two, considering that I have provided numerous links to demonstrate my point, while you have put forward nothing but your own prejudicial views, I would be very careful in how you use the word “lies”, “anti-intellectual”, or “hogwash”.

I have no space, time, or patience left for apologist gays like yourself, RCC, who think that “jewish Nazi” has even a modicum of rightness or sense — not when the gay left is giving millions of dollars and endorsements of “pro-gay’ and “gay-supportive” to candidates who, by their own definition, are homophobic bigots.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — November 6, 2006 @ 7:20 pm - November 6, 2006

14. 13 – …considering that I have provided numerous links to demonstrate my point, while you have put forward nothing but your own prejudicial views, I would be very careful in how you use the word “lies”, “anti-intellectual”, or “hogwash”.

The links you provided have nothing to do with this thread and everything to do with your LIES and ABUSE. This thread was never about exposing liberal homophobia and you’re attempts to hijack it expose yourself as the BLATANT IDIOT you are. It is obvious from your posts that you have no intention of having a rational discourse. You say I put forth nothing but prejudicial views…when and where? I have put forth my opinions which were formed from my own experience being a gay conservative midwesterner. You have put forth nothing but off-topic astroturf and BLATANT SLANDER AND LIES! Please stay on topic in the future and try not to be such a moron.

Comment by RealColoradoConservative — November 6, 2006 @ 8:23 pm - November 6, 2006

15. On the contrary, RCC; they have everything to do with this thread.

You see, they point out that those selfsame gay Democrats who go around calling GPW and Peter Hankwitz “Jewish Nazis” for supposedly supporting a homophobic party are themselves supporting a homophobic party, and that their being “put off” by GPW and Hankwitz is, given their own praise of homophobic bigots as “pro-gay” and “gay-supportive”, at the least ironic, and at the most, hypocritical.

The fact that that doesn’t play to your need to bash Republicans, and in fact makes your attempts to do so incredibly transparent and foolish, is not my concern.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — November 6, 2006 @ 8:39 pm - November 6, 2006

16. #6

I live in flyover country and I get to choose between two moderately gay friendly candidates for governor. You make it sound like every Republican beyond those wacky people who live on the coasts are out to get you.

Comment by John in IL — November 6, 2006 @ 8:57 pm - November 6, 2006

17. #16 – “You make it sound like every Republican beyond those wacky people who live on the coasts are out to get you.”

Care to cite where I made any sort of claim? And, by the way, the race in Illinois is between the Democrat governor and the GOP challenger. Illinois already has a law on the books preventing gay marriage…so it would be a little hard for Topinka to run on the usual gay-baiting GOP platform. Far from me being afraid of “…those wacky people who live on the coasts,” I have my hands full with the extremely gay-friendly (!) Marilyn Musgrave here in Colorado…thanks for putting up the best candidates for the job GOP! Nice try at making it seem like I’m unreasonable though John, better luck next time.

Comment by RealColoradoConservative — November 6, 2006 @ 10:24 pm - November 6, 2006

18. #17
    Care to cite where I made any sort of claim?

I already did in my first quote of yours. Maybe you should reread it:

You were responding to GPW and his support of a gay GOP candidate in CA . You stereotyped flyover country as a place where a GOP candidate couldn’t be friendly to gay issues. I gave you an example contrary to your stereotype. Since you claim to be “an openly-gay man who identifies as a conservative”, you should be happy about the direction of the GOP in Illinois (not a coastal state unless you count Lake Michigan).

Wrong. GOP voters in Illinois weren’t forced to vote for JBT because of current IL marriage laws. In the primary race for governor they could have chosen this guy (the second placer). But they didn’t. If the majority of GOP voters in IL wanted an anti-gay guy, they would have voted for him.

I don’t think you are unreasonable at all. You seem more like someone who can be reasoned with.

Comment by John in IL — November 6, 2006 @ 11:55 pm - November 6, 2006

19. The basic problem is that the GOP accepts people who think differently (even if some factions don’t like that), while the Dems and libs think EVERYONE should think the way they do. Proof? Look at the castigation of Lieberman for supporting the war.

However, even the Dems manage (on rare occasion) to pull their heads out long enough to note that accepting other voices is politically to their advantage (i.e. – Bob Casey in PA).

But, the basic premise remains … it’s FAR FAR easier to be gay in the GOP than GOP in the gay “community.”

Comment by GOPValues — November 7, 2006 @ 12:32 pm - November 7, 2006

20. John Kerry is not a homophobe.

At the debate in 2004 he said that gay people are born gay – they are just being who they are.
    That is called TRUTH.

I will take that any day over George W. Bush who said “I don’t know”. Since he is the President of everyone why doesn’t Bush crack a book and read a study about it.

The fact is – the GOP is controlled by the religious right who defame and slander gays and lie about the nature and basis of sexual orientation.

Some in the GOP may “look the other way” but that is not good enough. The TRUTH is good enough.

I don’t dislike gay republicans – I feel embarrassed for them sometimes and I don’t understand them at times – why not just say you are economically conservative or you are a libertarian? Why identify with the Republican party? Because your parents are Republicans? Not good enough. Did your parents vote to change their state constitution to deny you equal protection under the law?

I was born with an homosexual sexual orientation – and I will not be shamed by the GOP b/c of that.

In all fairness – one base of the Democratic party is african americans and they overwhelming are against same-sex marriage – go figure.
    The problem is religion and using ancient religious texts to deny or reject the truth as we have come to know it through science.

Comment by Gee — July 17, 2008 @ 2:28 pm - July 17, 2008