Perfect Candidate for House Majority Leader — John Murtha!

Thank you Nancy Pelosi.  I mean you haven’t even taken the gavel as presumed House Speaker and already you have created a furor within your Democratic Caucus and handed the Republicans the best political gift they’ve had all year.

Thanks Nancy, for giving your support to John “ABSCAM” Murtha — the former Marine and now lying and slanderous Congressman from Pennsylvania.

YouTube Preview Image

This is what Nancy Pelosi said last week after the Democrats won control of the US House.

Words are bunk, Nancy.  Your first decision as House Speaker was to side with a crook and a defamer of the US Marines.  What a stick in the eye of your pledge and the stick in the eye of our military men and women in combat.

Ruth Marcus at the Washington Post agrees.  Murtha is unfit to be House Majority Leader.

For years Murtha has relied on the Abscam bottom line to argue that the case is not a problem for him: He wasn’t indicted. But he was named a co-conspirator in the bribery scheme. The feckless House ethics committee didn’t take action against him, though the outside investigator it hired quit in disgust after the panel rejected his recommendation to file misconduct charges.

“I am the guy that didn’t take the money,” Murtha said this summer when his opponent raised the issue.

Yes, but: He’s the guy who, brought into the deal by two other House members — Frank Thompson (D-N.J.) and John Murphy (D-N.Y.) — agreed to meet with men offering money in return for official action. He’s the guy who knew these two colleagues expected a payoff and even vouched for them with the would-be bribers (“Both of them are solid.”).

I wrote a few weeks back that Pelosi’s first test as speaker would be whether she picks Florida’s Alcee Hastings — who was removed from his federal judgeship for agreeing to take a bribe — to head the intelligence committee. As it turns out, I was wrong. Pelosi’s first test was how to handle Murtha. Whatever happens [Thursday], she flunked. Whether she’ll get another failing grade on Hastings remains to be seen.

Way to go, Nancy.  There’s another reason that you are Not My House Speaker.  Add that one to your 2006 campaign of “bait and switch” on the American people (Campaigning as Moderates only to Govern as Liberals).

Nancy Pelosi – Not My House Speaker

-Bruce (GayPatriot)

1. If anything, you should be happy. If any of this is true, she’s continuing in the GOP tradition.

The important question is: what’s Murtha’s relationship with the pages like?

Comment by sean — November 15, 2006 @ 11:01 am - November 15, 2006

2. I forgot part two: “I want to say this about my state: When Strom Thurmond ran for president, we voted for him. We’re proud of it. And if the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn’t have had all these problems over all these years.” Welcome back, Senator Lott!!!!!

Comment by sean — November 15, 2006 @ 11:07 am - November 15, 2006

3. Murtha brings to mind a poster I frequently saw when I was in the Marines:

If you were accused of being a Marine, would there be enough evidence to convict you?

In Murtha’s case, he’d be acquitted before he even walked into the courtroom.

Julie the Jarhead

Comment by Julie the Jarhead — November 15, 2006 @ 11:14 am - November 15, 2006

4. I don’t know if they campaigned as moderates but switched to liberal. The way it looks to me is that they campainged as reformers, and as usual, will not be.

People who usually campaing as reformers, once they get into office, realize that it’s easier to play ball than to break balls, so they go with the flow. Reform? Oh, that was to get your votes. Thanks voters, I know you won’t remember what I said 2 years from now.

Comment by Jake — November 15, 2006 @ 12:06 pm - November 15, 2006

5. Bruce, get ready for the lower-case-clan here rallying to John Murtha’s defense with one of the following: a) it happened over 26 yrs ago; b) he didn’t actually take the bribes –only snitched on his fellow congressmen at the time and promised to take some bribes later; c) how dare you question a man who is a Democrat with past military service… you besmerch all Marines when you slam Murtha; and d) he was in favor of the bribe before he voted against the bribe (thanks, JohnLurchKerry).

For me, the telling part in the ABSCAM corruption issue is that Murtha said he wouldn’t take a bribe until he got to know the bribers better by doing business with them his way —which was, give some kickbacks to big fatcats back in my district, then we’ll talk about directly bribes to me (Murtha).

NancyP is so slimey, the MSM will hardly touch the story. It has to be news –and this is just NancyP as usual.

Let’s hope the blogland –many of whom are willing to stand up and speak truth to power– will accentuate this story so it penetrates into the political conscience of voting Americans.

Thanks for pointing it out for the lower-case-clanners.

Comment by Michigan-Matt — November 15, 2006 @ 12:28 pm - November 15, 2006

6. Ultimately inside baseball doesn’t make a big difference to voters. After all, your majority leader (McConnell) has made Trent Lott the #2 man in the Senate GOP. You haven’t made any comments on that, but I’d say Lott has a lot more baggage with the public than Murtha. Yet I haven’t heard any Republicans saying Lott should not be in leadership.

Comment by Carl — November 15, 2006 @ 2:05 pm - November 15, 2006

7. Strom Thurmond ?

Sean, you have got to be kidding my right? But I guess you sum up perhaps the only reason why I’d never go conservative. In Strom Thrumond’s version of America my Parents would be criminals for having an inter-racial marriage. Trent Lott is very proud to have voted for Thurmond and Republicans are very proud to have Lott at the realm of their party.

I fear for this country, more now than ever. I think the terrorists have already succeded, they are slowly but surely making us stoop to their tactics and very soon we will be pressed to define the differences between us in principle and ethics. If we win the war on terrorism and lose the battle for our souls, they would have won. Every right we give up to ensure some bomb go off in an American city is a victory for them.

I agree with President Bush that Freedom is a powerful idea, that Democracy is infective and will spread. I do however find it ironic that as we spread the message of freedom and liberty, we pick and choose which elements we can write-off as collateral damage in the war on terror. I supported the decision to go to war and in hindsight I can only concede that we were not just incompetent with handling the war but arrogant to the point of defiance when our European allies warned about the consequences. Now, history has proven they were right. Not only is the region far more unstable but we have now no political will or strenght to deal with the even larger treat of North Korea and Iran. Iran has five times the population of Iraq. Even if we had to declar war,we would not have the manpower to do so unless we go back to drafting the unwilling.

I feel helpless….and powerless. I feel doomed.

To mention another wedge issue; abortion. I am a catholic and the late pope is one of the people I admire greatly. I am as pro-life as it gets, I don’t think it’s ok to kill anyone(including murdering wackos who do deserve it!). That being said, the reason I am pro-choice. In a pro-choice world we are all free to be pro-life. In the pro-life world, it’s my way or the highway, in this case cell in jail. Not very consistent with freedom, the values of the majority should not be imposed on everyone, even Ideas as noble as those of morality, if we do we’ll be quite similar to the Islamic regimes of the middle-east. The problem is not Islam in itself, it’s about the use of religion as a governing guide, it’s about the marriage of Islam to politics and government in the middle east.

I feel doomed because, in 2006 religion and moral views have become the norm in campagning strategy, Heaven help us when it becomes the norm in governing strategy. Perhaps the litmus test for electability will be how evangelical you can be, or more accurately I should say how evangelical you can ‘act’.

So humble me; Catholic, social libertarian and fiscal conservative, looks at the record high deficit, hate-mongering anti-gay republican party that can’t wait to do away with the cloak of political correctness and discrimination policies, with the likes of Trent Lott and Thurmond. Forgive me if I see all this and think; the Republican party stands against everything I am about.

The reason this is sad is because the Republican Party was once on the side of social justice, when it stood against slavery. And yet, South Afica has recently legalized Gay Marriage, so perhaps sometimes those that learn the lesson last also learn it best.

Comment by Alice — November 15, 2006 @ 2:18 pm - November 15, 2006

8. The Murtha Meltdown…

Now… I have to say, I am laughing while writing this, because this is what the Democrats and those on the left and the independents that wanted to “make a statement” in the elections, asked for…well now they got it!!!!…

Trackback by Wake up America — November 15, 2006 @ 2:25 pm - November 15, 2006

9. “Not My House Speaker.”

heh.

We need bumper stickers.

Comment by Tom — November 15, 2006 @ 2:54 pm - November 15, 2006

10. Bruce
    Was wondering when you would pick up on this……apparently, there are two moderate women whom is NOT endorsing either.
    Like we all said, she transformed into who she hoped people would see and has now become what she really is…..liberal to a fault!!!!!

Comment by PatriotMom — November 15, 2006 @ 8:49 pm - November 15, 2006

11. #5: I’m not sure who “the lower-case-clan” is – obviously not me – but I’m certainly not going to defend Murtha. He may be right on the Iraq occupation but that doesn’t give him a pass to be corrupt. Indeed, he’s been raked over the coals on progressive talk radio not just for ABSCAM but his more recent earmark shenanigans. Check out what CREW has to say.

Murtha should not become majority leader in the House. I’m not too enthralled with Hoyer but he’d certainly be preferable to Murtha.

Comment by Ian — November 15, 2006 @ 10:08 pm - November 15, 2006

12. Democrats “intend to lead the most honest, the most open and the most ethical Congress in history”.

Didn’t Bill Clinton say something similar to that at the beginning of his administration?

Comment by ShermanStreet — November 15, 2006 @ 11:55 pm - November 15, 2006

13. Bruce, GP, I know what you’re saying when you refer to the Democrat from San Francisco as “not my Speaker” Pelosi. But I think it demeans and cheapens your otherwise valid arguments.

Many conservatives, and I’m guessing you’re among them, have for years deeply resented the attitudes of Hollywood liberals like Barbra Streisand and Alec Baldwin, et al, that George W. Bush is not their President.

In America, elections decide these things, Just as George W. Bush won fair and square in 2000 and again in 2004 and has been every American’s President for six years — and will continue as such for two more years — Nancy Pelosi’s party won fair and square and she is every American’s Speaker of the House for at least two years.

Let’s be patient and see if bipartisanship does prevail in Washington. Because we really do need cooperation and bipartisanship to solve America’s problems and meet her challenges.

Some of those who comment here might consider it hokie but I’d like to offer one of my favorite political quotes. Republican-turned-conservative-Democrat Edward Zorinsky represented Nebraska in the Senate from 1977 until his death in 1987. Not too many years after arriving on Capitol Hill he expressed his disgust with Washington politics by exclaiming, “We have too many Democratic Senators and too many Republican Senators and not enough United States Senators!” Amen. Amen.

Comment by Ashley Hunter — November 16, 2006 @ 4:48 am - November 16, 2006

14. P. S. I forgot to add that I commented on my feelings about the corrupt John Murtha in response to a similar post above by GayPatriotWest.

Comment by Ashley Hunter — November 16, 2006 @ 5:02 am - November 16, 2006

15. Bait and switch? The new Congress hasn’t even been seated yet. The 110th Congress, controlled by the Democrats, isn’t inaugurated until January.

The American people will support raising the minimum wage, allowing the gov’t to negotiate directly with pharmaceutical companies for lower prescription drug costs and having Congress tackle the energy problem.

Those are going to be priorities come January and that was well stated during the election. That’s why we won. The voters wanted a new direction for the government and wanted change.

They’ll get it.

Comment by Chase — November 17, 2006 @ 7:30 am - November 17, 2006

16. Chase writes to denude the validity of the bait & switch strategy by the House Democrats (running as moderates and then serving as liberals) by arguing that the election was about these priorities:

1) raise minimum wage;
    2) let Medicaid drive down drug costs with pricing agreements; and
    3) Congress tackle the energy problem.

Chase, what rock we you under during the election? The issues in nearly every single poll taken 15 days out from Election Day, in exit polls on Election and in the 7 day post election voter-motivated wrap up surveys indicate that the issues were:

Corruption in Congress (not the White House, I might add)
    Iraq and the escalating violence
    Terror threats at home
    Economy
    Immigration
    Federal Deficit
    Same Sex Marriage
    Stem Cell Research
    Health Care

Right, raising the minimum wage was a huge issue! I don’t know how I missed it? And pricing agreements? Huge Huge Huge issue! Wow. And letting Congress –that font of lower than low evaluation historically by voters– solve the energy crisis? Oh yeah, every voter was screaming for that one at the top of their lungs!

Gosh, Chase you do live in a fantasy land.

The issues most pollsters judge motivated the voters on election day were: Corruption in Congress, Iraqi violence and the threat of terrorism in the US.

Try again, Chase. Rounding up the usual policy suspects for the Democrats to add more confusion for voters is proof the bait & switch plan is in full play.

Comment by Michigan-Matt — November 17, 2006 @ 1:59 pm - November 17, 2006

17. And what duplicitous Chase doesn’t want to talk about is how his favorite Speaker operates:

Pelosi and her California allies, by contrast, really worked the Democratic caucus, reminding colleagues that Hoyer had voted for the Iraq war and questioning his loyalty to Pelosi, who he had twice run against for leadership positions and lost. Pelosi invited freshmen Democrats into her office, and her opening line, delivered with a steely smile, was, “Before we talk about your committee assignments, let’s talk about the leader’s race.”

But the reason Pelosi does this is because she thinks all voters are like Chase and like her district; they will vote for her and support her, regardless of what she does, because she’s a Democrat. That’s why she can commit campaign finance fraud herself and be called a “reformer”, or why she tries to force Congresspersons who were elected based on an anti-corruption platform to install in their leadership one of the Democratic Party’s most corrupt members.

Of course, Chase tries the usual spin of Democrats’ “big ideas” designed to appeal to their base.

raising the minimum wage

Which, as any businessperson can tell you, has been divorced from market reality for years. Even the most ridiculously-underskilled legalized workers in today’s labor market can demand higher than the minimum wage for jobs; raising it is nothing more than window-dressing, and ironically only affects those employers with what can euphemistically be called semi-legal employees.

This is my favorite example of how Democrats like Chase attempt to manipulate and outfox voters.

Medicare and Medicaid are funded by payroll taxes on workers. Recipients of Medicare and Medicaid do not pay directly for their drugs; instead, they either receive them free or are given a nominal co-pay.

What Dems like Chase want to do is to ostensibly “negotiate with pharmaceutical companies” to lower prices on drugs without changing co-pays or reducing the Medicare payroll tax rate.

This really screws consumers over, because they are still taxed or charged the same amount; the Democratic government pockets the difference. Furthermore, the pharmaceutical companies are able to simply pass the costs of providing drugs to the government more cheaply on to the private consumer and health plans.

In short, Chase wants to continue charging you the same amount to buy other peoples’ product, but increase his profit margin — and stick you with higher costs when you yourself go to buy the product.

and having Congress tackle the energy problem.

Fine. When can we expect the public flogging of Ted Kennedy for opposing a wind farm off Cape Cod because it interfered with the ocean view from his vacation home? How about the public castigation of Representative Dingell for opposing required increases to Big Three automakers’ fuel economy standards? When can we expect the Dems to back off their moonbat wing and take another look at greenhouse-gas-free nuclear energy, especially since they don’t seem to have problems with nations like Iran or North Korea using it?

Or is this just going to be more of the Democratic feel-good of “beat up on the oil companies”?

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — November 17, 2006 @ 6:43 pm - November 17, 2006

18. I WAS SHOCKED WHEN I RAN ACROSS YOUR WEBSITE. DON’T YOU REALIZE THAT SEX BETWEEN MEN WITH MEN AND WOMEN WITH WOMEN IS SINFUL IN THE SITE OF ALMIGHTY GOD. ANIMALS DON’T EVEN DO WHAT YOU ALL DO TO ONE ANOTHER. MAY GOD WAKE YOU ALL UP TO YOUR SPIRITUAL CONDITION BEFORE ITS TO LATE

ROMANS 1st CHAPTER STARTING WITH VERSE 18.

18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;
    19 ¶ Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.
    20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
    21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
    22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
    23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.
    24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:
    25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.
    26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:
    27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.
    28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;

Comment by JOHN GOETTGE — March 17, 2007 @ 9:02 pm - March 17, 2007