Nominations Open for Grande Conservative Blogress Diva 2007

As the year draws to a close, it’s time to pick the Grande Conservative Blogress Diva for 2007. After a heated campaign among many talented candidates, Sondra K won the honor for 2006. This year, we’re again looking for nominees. As you may know, we define a “diva” as a strong, successful woman who commands the respect of men.”

Last year’s nominees included: Ann Althouse, Tammy Bruce, Wizbang‘s Lorie Byrd, Jane Galt ( Asymmetrical Information), Bridget Johnson (GOP Vixen), Sondra K (Knowledge is Power), Carol Platt Liebau, National Review Online‘s K-Lo (Kathryn Jean Lopez), Michelle Malkin, Betsy Newmark (Betsy’s Page), Pamela of Atlas Shrugs, Debbie Schlussel, Cathy Seipp and Cathy Young.

Three other potential nominees include Juliette of Baldilocks, Little Miss Attila and The Anchoress.

As Bruce and I determine the nominees for the 2007 competition, we’re eager to learn about other first-rate conservative (and libertarian) blogresses. We’re going to keep nominations open until December 15 at which point we’ll announce the nominees and began voting to conclude on New Year’s Eve.

If you nominate a candidate — or second one of those named above, please make sure to specify why you believe that blogress is deserving of the honor — or provide an example of how she commands the respect of men.

So, please make your suggestions in the comment section below or in an e-mail to me.

1. It would seem to me that Mary Katherine Ham is worthy of the list… the excellent Ham Nation video blog comes to mind, along with some pretty stirring commentary over in Townhall land… and she’s pretty yummy-looking. Wrap it up with the fact that she’s definitely no knee-jerk GOP cheerleader, but instead a principled, thoughtful conservative, and I think we’ve got ourselves another nominee.

tmi3rd

Comment by tmi3rd — November 19, 2006 @ 9:01 pm - November 19, 2006

2. How about Da Goddess, aka Joan Hunt? She tends to blog a lot of other stuff too but her blogging of the counter-demostrations, support of the troops, etc. gets my vote? Besides she’s into blues and a honey…

Comment by Kevin — November 19, 2006 @ 9:35 pm - November 19, 2006

3. I nominate K-Lo, especially for her persistent support for Senator Rick Santorum throughout his race and after.

Comment by sean — November 19, 2006 @ 9:57 pm - November 19, 2006

4. Operating within the gray area of whether the emphasis is on “conservative” or “diva,” and on the precedent of her nomination last year, I nominate Ann Althouse, who amply meets the criterion laid out for diva and occaisionally might be described as conservative by persons of a certain political persuasion.

Comment by Simon Dodd — November 19, 2006 @ 10:17 pm - November 19, 2006

5. La Shawn Barber …

No-nonsense discussions about race, faith (yes, the capital G [G_d] faith), and politics. Non-partisan, willing to buck even conservative trends.

And … from La Shawn’s web site:

If you must refer to my race, call me black, not “African American.” It is offensive to me. There is no such color, race, or nationality. I am an American of African descent.

I read three blogs everyday: Michelle Malkin, Gay Patriot, and La Shawn Barner’s Corner (http://lashawnbarber.com/).

Cheers,
    Julie the Jarhead

Comment by Julie the Jarhead — November 20, 2006 @ 9:52 am - November 20, 2006

6. Michelle Malkin?! Why not go all out & nominate Ann Coulter as well? Jeez. To #5 “Julie the Jarhead”: thanks, but no thanks on LaShawn Barber. Anyone who says that the creep who said last summer (gawd, I can’t even remember his name) that he raped Jonbenet Ramsey as “looking like a homosexual” due to his depravity doesn’t merit so much as an honorable mention.
    How about Kathleen Parker? She writes a column that appears in my hometown newspaper (Portland (Maine) Press Herald)? Sometimes I disagree with her & other times she’s spot on.

Comment by Jimbo — November 20, 2006 @ 10:56 am - November 20, 2006

7. Indeed. If MKH isn’t on the list, the contest is a fraud.

Comment by rightwingprof — November 20, 2006 @ 11:39 am - November 20, 2006

8. e-Claire
    hands down.
    Her writing is lyrical…she’s brilliant…her humor is biting and her insight is awe inspiring.

Comment by SondraK — November 20, 2006 @ 11:41 am - November 20, 2006

9. e-Claire.

Biting, sarcastic, insightful.

Brilliant.

And she was my first blogress crush that has escalated to near obcession.
    There’s no one like her. And she doesn’t play the blog whore game.
    I LOVE that in a diva!

Comment by SondraK — November 20, 2006 @ 11:44 am - November 20, 2006

10. I un-nominate K-Lo. She is reflexively against anything she perceives as “pro gay” (and anything short of stoning is “pro gay”). She seems impervious to reason.

I can accept arguments against gay marriage and all that… but preferably arguments backed by reason.

Add to that her support, nay worship of Rick Santorum and Mitt Romney seal the deal IMHO.

Comment by Robert — November 20, 2006 @ 12:16 pm - November 20, 2006

11. I second Sondrak’s nod to Claire, she’s got the right moves and attitude.

Comment by puggs — November 20, 2006 @ 12:52 pm - November 20, 2006

12. Only one that could could follow 06’s Diva:

Claire is So Hot! Claire is So Hot! Claire is So Hot!
    Claire is So Hot! Claire is So Hot! Claire is So Hot!
    Claire is So Hot! Claire is So Hot! Claire is So Hot!
    Claire is So Hot! Claire is So Hot! Claire is So Hot!
    Claire is So Hot! Claire is So Hot! Claire is So Hot!
    Claire is So Hot! Claire is So Hot! Claire is So Hot!
    Claire is So Hot! Claire is So Hot! Claire is So Hot!
    Claire is So Hot! Claire is So Hot! Claire is So Hot!

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeooooooooooooooo!

Comment by auspatriotman — November 20, 2006 @ 1:40 pm - November 20, 2006

13. Claire!
    Clearest writing and thinking I’ve seen in a long time. Impeccable grammar, logical presentation, meaningful examples, and common sense.

Frankly, she’s wasting her time blogging; she should be at the very minimum SecState. If Bolton can’t get confirmed, I nominate her for the interim appointment as US ambassador to the International Handwringing & Tsk-Tsking Society. She’d continue the ear-blistering that Bolton gave them last week.

Comment by babalu (Ron) — November 20, 2006 @ 2:41 pm - November 20, 2006

14. Claire…gotta be Claire.

Comment by Sierrahome — November 20, 2006 @ 2:45 pm - November 20, 2006

15. I want my eClaire!

Comment by Scorpius — November 20, 2006 @ 3:49 pm - November 20, 2006

16. Oh what the hey, I’m changing my nom to Jacqui Passey

She’s libertarian so it fits.

Comment by Scorpius — November 20, 2006 @ 4:03 pm - November 20, 2006

17. Being the Southerner that I am, I second the nomination of Mary Katherine Ham. Now, if only she could just be more cognizant of the fact that THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS is superior to her Georgia Bulldogs!

Hook ’em Horns!

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — November 20, 2006 @ 4:47 pm - November 20, 2006

18. Holy CRAP!!!

Just spent the better part of my lunch hour reading e-Claire, and all I can say is WOW!

The broad can seriously write. Pulls no punches with regard to the American Castrati, either. Nice.

Eric in Awe
    throwing his considerable weight in negligible support behind Miss Claire

Comment by HollywoodNeoCon — November 20, 2006 @ 5:00 pm - November 20, 2006

19. e-claire

Diva divine all the way.

regards-mary

Comment by mary — November 20, 2006 @ 5:54 pm - November 20, 2006

20. e-Claire

Chocolate covered is best 😉

Comment by AnnoyedOne — November 20, 2006 @ 7:05 pm - November 20, 2006

21. I am happy to nominate LaShawn Barber, Dymphna of Gates of Vienna and The Anchoress!

Comment by Claudia — November 20, 2006 @ 7:23 pm - November 20, 2006

22. I’d like to nominate neo-neocon. Thoughtful, well written and informative.

Comment by John in IL — November 20, 2006 @ 11:00 pm - November 20, 2006

23. e-claire?!?
    I can see why you rightists would like the hyperventilating content, but the graphics and appearance of her blog stinks.
    The color scheme is awful, the graphics appear to be small rez, the text doesn’t fit in the frames, some of the links are dead and on and on and on. It seems an internet based award should at least consider appearance….

And why is Barber mentioned with admiration on this site?

Comment by keogh — November 21, 2006 @ 9:41 am - November 21, 2006

24. keogh, if anyone ever deserved to be slapped with big dead fish, it’s you, babe.

That was perhaps the most insipid and irrelevant pool of literary diarrhea I’ve yet read. I feel a tinge of stupidity just having read it.

But I’ll give ya credit, you’re at least consistent: style trumps substance each and every time.

My GOD, you are a true idiotarian, aren’t you?

Comment by HollywoodNeoCon — November 21, 2006 @ 10:26 am - November 21, 2006

25. ?
    So you don’t think an internet based award should give any credence to look and feel of a website?
    You have to admit the interface/appearance is shitty on that site.
    That’s not too hard is it?

Or do you just HAVE to disagree with someone who might not be of the same political persuasion.

Comment by keogh — November 21, 2006 @ 11:10 am - November 21, 2006

26. No, I just have to disagree with idiots.

Any more questions?

Comment by HollywoodNeoCon — November 21, 2006 @ 11:52 am - November 21, 2006

27. Good one. You really got me there.
    Wow. I feel very zinged.

Congrats with that wit!

Comment by keogh — November 21, 2006 @ 11:56 am - November 21, 2006

28. My apologies, keogh. That was uncalled for.

I think your take on Claire is utter horseshit, but to call you an idiot was inappropriate.

Comment by HollywoodNeoCon — November 21, 2006 @ 12:33 pm - November 21, 2006

29. I would like to second the nomination of La Shawn Barber, for all the reasons stated above by Julie the Jarhead. Additionally, her writing ability and, imho, her unique insight and conservatives views cry out for Diva status.

And if I can nominate another, it would be Pat Santy of the Dr. Sanity blog. Her phsycological view into today’s political realities offers another unique perspective that I don’t feel is matched anywhere else. I feel as if I’m being given an education in phsycology everytime I read her blog. I could probably live without the songs, though. 🙂

Comment by Richard — November 21, 2006 @ 4:57 pm - November 21, 2006

30. I guess my last comment wasn’t posted for the same reason?

Comment by SondraK — November 21, 2006 @ 4:59 pm - November 21, 2006

31. Sondra, there’s a problem with posting comments since we reset our spam filter and some don’t post right away, but insted get caught in the moderation queue which I try to check frequently so I can approve comments that are not spam for all to read.

Comment by GayPatriotWest — November 21, 2006 @ 6:40 pm - November 21, 2006

32. If libertarians are included, then the list would be a mockery and a sham without Virginia Postrel

Comment by Jim Hu — November 22, 2006 @ 3:31 am - November 22, 2006

33. K-Lo can be booted, just like that? Just because she’s not what YOU call “pro-gay”? I don’t think we should be concerned with just one issue. We should think about all the issues important to conservatives and then those issues which are important to most conservatives.

K-Lo, BECAUSE she worships that great man and senator, Senator Rick Santorum!

Comment by sean — November 22, 2006 @ 1:12 pm - November 22, 2006

34. The Anchoress, of course, but you must include Kate MacMillan of “small dead animals” and Kathy Shaidle of “Relapsed Catholic”!

Comment by Roseberry — November 23, 2006 @ 9:48 pm - November 23, 2006

35. You guys have got it all wrong. I nominate Alexandra von Maltzan of All Things Beautiful. She is extremely intelligent and a real beauty.

Comment by Chris — November 27, 2006 @ 11:43 pm - November 27, 2006