Slow Blogging & Showbiz Thoughts

Posted by GayPatriotWest at 3:44 pm - November 29, 2006.
Filed under: Blogging,Movies/Film & TV

I had hoped to blog during my Thanksgiving vacation in Cincinnati where I spent time with my family who had returned (or remained) home for the holiday, but realized I needed a bit of a break from writing. And anyway, much as I enjoy blogging (and writing in general), I much preferred taking the second eldest PatriotNieceWest out for lunch and to spend time with her shopping and browsing for books. I even enjoyed helping her Dad (the youngest PatriotBrotherWest) rake leaves and clean out his garage. And bonding with her little brother who was fascinated by his Uncle’s shoelaces which, though he is just shy of eleven months, he manage to untie on his own.

I returned to a hectic schedule in LA, including a Log Cabin meeting with Marc Cherry, the openly Republican producer of Desperate Housewives who happens to be gay. I got the chance to talk to him and found him to not only be very nice and very interesting, but also quite funny as well. And I’ve been busy finalizing the details for the Holiday Luncheon for the LA chapter of my college alumni association (of which I serve as president) and trying to get caught up in reading for class.

As soon as I get back to blogging (hopefully as soon as tomorrow), I hope to comment a bit on something Marc said — about how the 2006 loss can be good for the GOP as it seemed to correspond to something I had considered as a possible blog topic — on Republican overconfidence and arrogance in the wake of our 2004 victory. I may also have something to say about Michael Richards’ who seems to have turned his hateful remarks into a publicity stunt as he attempts to secure a few more minutes in the limelight. I would say that his offensive outburst killed his career, but you can’t kill something that is already dead.

I apologize to those who have e-mailed me for not replying in a timely manner (as has been my wont), but will get to your missives as soon as things settle down a bit.

1. Problem with the “Republican overconfidence and arrogance after 2004 victory” line of argument: What can the average Republican do about it?

Also – are not the Democrats, and the whole Left MSM, the epitome of overconfidence and arrogance? Should Republicans bemoan the speck in their eyes, more the log in their brothers’?

These questions are sincere – though academic, for me, since I remain Independent. (And was always a Democrat before that.)

Comment by Calarato — November 29, 2006 @ 4:41 pm - November 29, 2006

2. (sorry – more THAN the log in their brothers’)

Comment by Calarato — November 29, 2006 @ 4:41 pm - November 29, 2006

3. I hope you enjoyed your Thanksgiving visit with family. Whenever I visit my sister in the Cincinnati area I always go to Joseph Beth to browse books, the only bookstore better than that one, is the Joseph Beth in Lexington, Kentucky.

Comment by just me — November 29, 2006 @ 7:43 pm - November 29, 2006

4. Marc Cherry is a great H’wood success story. Didn’t he work with John Sacret Young on “China Beach?” (That was another great series, in my opinion.)

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — November 29, 2006 @ 10:35 pm - November 29, 2006

5. I think it’s great that Marc Cherry can be an “open” gay Republican in Hollywood, for what it’s worth. But good lord, can’t he improve the dismal storylines of that show? It’s not even worth watching anymore!

Oh wait, sorry – that was totally non-political….woops!

😉

Comment by Mike — November 30, 2006 @ 8:45 am - November 30, 2006

6. As soon as I get back to blogging (hopefully as soon as tomorrow), I hope to comment a bit on something Marc said — about how the 2006 loss can be good for the GOP as it seemed to correspond to something I had considered as a possible blog topic — on Republican overconfidence and arrogance in the wake of our 2004 victory

The problem is not just overconfidence and arrogance. Its a fundamental split in principles. Its the socialist-oriented relgious conservatives vs the libertarian-oriented traditional conservatives. Right now the former dominates the GOP Party and its agenda by sheer force of numbers. The failure of the traditional conservatives is that they have been unable to convince the radical religious conservatives of the value of well,… conservatism.

Comment by Patrick (gryph) — November 30, 2006 @ 4:22 pm - November 30, 2006

7. Speaking of Showbiz, you all, of course, have heard by now that the Sundance Film Festival (where Brokeback Mountain broke out) nest year is featuring a documentary about the dude who got bu-fu’d by a horse in Enumclaw.

Rick Santorum, proven right, yet again.

Comment by V the K — December 1, 2006 @ 9:07 am - December 1, 2006

8. Gryph at #6 writes: the problem with the GOP is “… a fundamental split in principles. Its the socialist-oriented relgious conservatives vs the libertarian-oriented traditional conservatives.”

What whacked out spider hole have you been living in, Gryph? “Socialist oriented relgious” (sic)? You are such an idiot. The socialist oriented religious types are in the Democrat Party, gryph. They’re the nuts from the leftwing churches. And, for the most part, they like it with the Democrats… fancy that?

The Religious Right types in the GOP are 100% capitalists –“God is Good”, “God doesn’t want YOU to take a vow of poverty”, “God wants our congregation to make the big bucks and share it with this ministry”. Most of them are libertarians. Most of them seek wealth and are good at it. Ever notice the leader of a nearby mega church compared to the unwashed lesbian Unitarian… which one is the socialist, Gryph?

The socialist types –govt should make all decisions for you– are over in the Democrat Party.

Once again, Gryph, your analytical skills and perceptions of the GOP fail you miserably. At some point, even YOU have to be embarassed at the stupidity of your remarks.

The problem with the GOP is “… a fundamental split in principles. Its (sic) the socialist-oriented relgious (sic) conservatives vs the libertarian-oriented traditional conservatives.” That has to be the most uninformed opinion I’ve read in a long, long time.

No wait, Just A Question tied you with its recent comment about blind Imams are no terror threat.

Comment by Michigan-Matt — December 1, 2006 @ 2:19 pm - December 1, 2006