As Victor Davis Hanson points out…. what’s old is what’s new again! Welcome again to the Jimmy Carterian World of appeasement and the coddling of tyranny.
Yet if some think the strange alliance between the new Democratic Congressional majorities and old Republican realists will ameliorate some of this by urging direct talks with North Korea, Iran, and Syria, pressuring Israel, gravitating to a European approach to problems, or withdrawing from Iraq, they should remember the Carter administration’s experience with Iran, Afghanistan, Cambodia, Central America, and the Clinton response to the first World Trade Center bombing, Khobar Towers, the East African embassy bombings, and the USS Cole. Even more illuminating is to remember that the old appeasement of treating numerous enemies better than our few friends did not even win affection, but only outright contempt. I remember the visceral Iranian hatred for Jimmy Carter, and the worldwide ridicule of Bill Clinton, and sad US shuttles of the 1990s to beseech Assad and Arafat.
So we are in strange time, in which we see the known failures of the past offered up as correctives for the perceived failures of the present. In response, what the administration needs to do is to nominate someone from the uncompromising Bolton stamp who pursues UN reform, rethink tactics in Iraq to secure the country, renew diplomatic efforts to isolate Iran and foster internal change, continue the investigations and pressures on Syria, and craft an energy policy that collapses the world price of petroleum and with it the juice that powers a Chavez, Ahmadinejad, Putin, et al.
My friends, how many Americans must die on our nation’s soil before our elected leaders get serious in this World War against Islamic terror?
Frankly, I’ve lost all hope that Democrats/Liberals ever will take the war seriously. After all, it is so much easier to sit by and allow your fellow citizens to die, rather than stand up for your country and fight. Just as long as you have an election issue for the next campaign cycle.
Harsh, you say? Not really. The evidence is pretty clear that those on the Left (Democrats and the American news media) are actively helping the terrorists’ goals to defeat America.
Democrats’ devious deeds are too numerous to be fully recounted, but here at least are some of the highlights:
- They have tried to prevent us from listening on terrorists’ phone calls
- They have sought to stop us from properly interrogating captured terrorists
- They have tried to stop us from monitoring terrorists’ financial transactions
- They have revealed the existence of secret national security programs
- They have opposed vital components of the Patriot Act
- They have sought to confer unmerited legal rights on terrorists
- They have opposed profiling to identify the terrorists in our midst
- They have impugned and demeaned our military
- They have insinuated that the president is a war criminal
- They have forced the resignation of a committed defense secretary
- They have repeatedly tried to de-legitimize our war effort
- They want to quit the battlefield in the midst of war.
To see just how bad things really are, ponder this question: If the terrorists were represented by a party in our political system, how would their foreign policy program substantially differ from that of the present-day Democrats?
As I have said many times to those of you who think I’m hyperbolic on this point…. Prove me wrong with EVIDENCE of Democrats supporting America in this World War.