Does John Fund Read GayPatriot?

Seems like the Wall Street Journal‘s John Fund reads this blog. Seven weeks ago, I noted how Tom DeLay’s 1994 Election at House GOP Whip Set the Stage for the Party’s loss of Congress last fall (made effective today). Preferring DeLay to Pennsylvania’s Bob Walker, House Republicans chose a pragmatic political operative over a principled conservative.

At the time, I wrote, “Perhaps had Walker won that election, he might have helped the GOP stand true to the principles he had long promoted.” In today’s OpinionJournal Political Diary (available by subscription), Fund writes:

It turns out that Mr. DeLay’s election as Majority Whip after the 1994 election — the vote that set him on his path to power — was an extraordinarily fateful one. He defeated Rep. Bob Walker of Pennsylvania, who had the backing of Mr. Gingrich and had advocated keeping a GOP majority in Congress by passing conservative legislation that would produce sound results and earn popular support at the polls. Welfare reform was an early and rare example of that strategy.

In contrast, the DeLay model of governance that increasingly took hold of the GOP caucus was a simple one: Use the power of gerrymandering and pork to cement enough incumbents to ensure that a narrow GOP majority would always be returned. The flip-side of that strategy was a dilution of conservative principles in favor of machine politics. The low point was the 2003 vote on creating the prescription drug entitlement that only passed when House leaders held the floor vote open for an unprecedented three hours while Members were dragooned into line.

Let us hope that now in the minority, House Republicans return to the principles Walker championed — and DeLay abandoned.

1. Those of us who were afraid the Republicans (a.k.a. the Crooks) would learn nothing if they were returned to power were vindicated when the House put the same machine-politics guys… Boehner and Blount … back in charge, and then Mel “Open Borders” Martinez got picked to run the RNC. They got shellacked and they still didn’t learn anything.

Unless the Donks (a.k.a. the Nuts) do something so stupid not even their PR hacks (a.k.a. the Mainstream Media) can cover it up for them, I don’t think this is going to be the two-year intermission from power many are hoping for.

Comment by V the K — January 4, 2007 @ 7:45 pm - January 4, 2007

2. I fully expect that the coming period of Repbican* minority status will be one x-year-long temper tantrum, where x is some multiple of 2. So much for the noble idea that our elected leaders should be exempt from criticism during wartime…

* because systematically omitting a vowel and a consonant from the opposing party’s official name is apparently de rigueur in blogland. And on the House floor too, for that matter.

Comment by vaara — January 4, 2007 @ 11:38 pm - January 4, 2007

3. #1. The arrogance! The underlying assumption you are working with seems to be that the American public would opt for Repbicans–of course!!–if they weren’t power hungry and manipulative because the people like their ideas/principles. The American public would never vote the Democratic Party into power, unless the Republicans screwed up. Congressional default is Repbican.

No. First, this distinction between principles and politics, while important for finger pointing and posturing within the GOP, is vacuous. The American public is seeing what the GOP principles have been: power politics. Second, the American public is voting for a new set of ideas/principles by sending Congress back to the Democratic Party. Yeah, they are fed up with Repbican scandals. They are also fed up with Repbican incompetence as well. The latest indicators are that the American people are very much for the Democratic Congressional agenda.

Seriously, who is Tom DeLay? There’s a new Speaker of the House now: Nancy Pelosi. But your people couldn’t even graciously hand over the gavel today, so how could we expect y’all to take this any easier?

Comment by sean — January 5, 2007 @ 3:33 am - January 5, 2007

4. The Nuts didn’t run on an agenda, they ran on scandals and smears. But, I guess, the PR hacks have to start the historical revisionism sometime.

Comment by V the K — January 5, 2007 @ 5:30 am - January 5, 2007

5. #4. Whatever you need to get through the next two years, honey.

Now, I don’t know if John Fund reads GayPatriot, but GayPatriot has to start reading some other sources for its information, since your Queen Malkin seems to be very unreliable: http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003528028. That police force we’re cultivating is quite an organization, huh?

Comment by sean — January 5, 2007 @ 11:51 am - January 5, 2007

6. Funny, I don’t recall the MSM getting so “enthusiastic” about history being made in 1995, when the House leadership became GOP for the first time in forty years.

In fact, they were downright depressed. I give you Exhibit A:

And seanny boy, I’m glad you admit that it will only take two years for the American people to return to their senses after the mess that Nazi Pelosi and her Shuztstahffel (that’s “SS” for you who were public schoolers) create.

Trust me, this is not a “Thousand Year Reich” in the making. Just remember – if it good for the Dhimmicrats, it’s bad for America.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — January 5, 2007 @ 1:50 pm - January 5, 2007

7. “Nazi Pelosi”

Godwin’s Law strikes again. Is this your feeble attempt to get back at the “Bushitler” morons, or do you really think Pelosi is a Nazi?

Oh, and if you’re going to get snide about people’s educational levels, you might want to check your German spelling skillz.

Comment by vaara — January 5, 2007 @ 2:53 pm - January 5, 2007

8. Wow, Peter, that was a bit insulting to those of us who are products of public schools. Do you have something against public school graduates? Or just against public schools? I’m curious. 🙂

Comment by Mike — January 5, 2007 @ 2:56 pm - January 5, 2007

9. I think “Nazi Pelosi” is a bit beyond the pale. (However, if I were a lib, I’d just justify it by saying, “Hey, you guys did it first. So, now it’s okay!”)

“Queen Botoxia” will work just fine to describe the Botox Bolshevik from San Franfreakshow.

Comment by V the K — January 5, 2007 @ 4:06 pm - January 5, 2007

10. It’s hard to believe she’s actually older than GWB.

Comment by vaara — January 5, 2007 @ 4:16 pm - January 5, 2007

11. #7-8: I too am a product of the public schools – that’s just my dig at elitist leftists whose children are too good for public schools (Karenna Gore, Chelsea Clinton, all of the Kennedys that didn’t flunk out, et al). Note the maxim “do as I say, not as I do.”

“Nazi Pelosi” is phonetically what it sounds like when George Soros calls her by her given name. AFAIC, anyone who exeplifies (a) the total control of the state over the family and (b) a massive redistribution of wealth via her voting record in the House deserves the moniker.

Also – the moniker “Wicked Witch of the West” was already taken. However, if you really wanted to tick off the libtrolls, you could note that Shrillary is the WW of the East. Just a casual observation.

As far as the SS commentary goes, I never studied German. I half-expected raj or someone to school me with their superior knowledge. But I digress.

Hey V da K – wonder if there’s enough Bondo left in the Golden Gate after fixing up her face. Just a thought.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — January 5, 2007 @ 6:01 pm - January 5, 2007

12. Huh. Admittedly I don’t follow Congress as closely as I should, but I’m still surprised that something as heinous as the “Total Control Of the State Over the Family Act” should have escaped my attention. When was that vote, exactly?

In any case, I’m glad it failed. I’d sure hate it if I had to cc George W. Bush on all the emails I send to my relatives, or whatever else “total control of the state over the family” would have entailed.

Comment by vaara — January 5, 2007 @ 10:42 pm - January 5, 2007

13. anyone who exeplifies (a) the total control of the state over the family and (b) a massive redistribution of wealth via her voting record in the House deserves the moniker.

I think “Botox Bolshevik” covers that territory adequately enough.

Remember, “It takes a village to raise a child.” Of course when Hillary and Nancy say “village” they mean “Washington.”

Comment by V the K — January 5, 2007 @ 11:50 pm - January 5, 2007

14. I just think it’s amusing that Nazi Pelosi was holding a baby (her grandchild?) when seizing power in the House. Just think, per her voting record (she gets a 100% rating from NARAL and NOW), if that child were a minority and still in the womb, it probably would have been aborted.

Luckily for the child, it was born into power and priviledge as part of the elite SF SS. It still has a chance to grow up and realize that liberalism is a mental disorder and effectively counter it through education. There’s hope for it yet.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — January 6, 2007 @ 12:13 pm - January 6, 2007

15. She looks like Cruella DeVil…the original, cartoon one.

Comment by Attmay — January 6, 2007 @ 8:57 pm - January 6, 2007

16. Sure, she’s a shrill limousine liberal with unappetizing mammaries and we can thank a poorly-conceived war strategy, a nonexistent domestic policy, terrible communication (albeit Tony Snow is an 11th hour improvement), and congressional scandal for giving us this bitch. Remember the good old days when we were discussing, say, getting rid of the Dept. of Education and a flat tax for those above 25K with no loopholes? Remember the days when paying farmers to not grow crops was considered immoral? Remember the days when ad hominems were the purview of that orgy of special interest groups known as the Democratic Party? Where are my fellow elephants?

Comment by HardHobbit — January 7, 2007 @ 1:28 pm - January 7, 2007

17. […] in the 1990s on the legislative level.  Our political fortunes would surely have improved had the principled Bob Walker defeated the opportunistic Tom DeLay in the 1994 election for House Majority […]

Pingback by GayPatriot » The Opportunity Bush & DeLay Gave Obama — January 8, 2009 @ 1:34 pm - January 8, 2009