Reluctantly Preferring the Donald to Rosie

Posted by GayPatriotWest at 11:56 am - January 8, 2007.
Filed under: Civil Discourse,Movies/Film & TV

I’ve never been much of a fan of either Donald Trump or Rosie O’Donnell. But, in their celebrated spat, I come down clearly on the side of the Donald. While he is arrogant and pompous, a better self-promoter than a businessman, Rosie is mean and self-righteous and quite intolerant of those who do not share her political beliefs.

Whenever I work out at my gym in the mornings, The View is nearly always showing on one of the TVs. Even without sound, Rosie is annoying; it seems she is trying to make the show about her. She kind of reminds me of Lucy in the comic strip Peanuts. Like Lucy, Rosie works “hard at being bossy, crabby and selfish. She is loud and yells a lot. Her smiles and motives are rarely pure. She’s a know-it-all who dispenses advice whether you want it or not.”

Rosie does more than just dispense advice. She readily doles out criticism, ever eager to use her media platform to attack Republicans and others with whom she disagrees. She tries to inject her politics wherever she can. It’s unfortunate that she has become one of the most visible lesbians in America. More often than not, she attempts to get a laugh by attacking others.

Far from being the “queen of nice” (as some on the Left have dubbed her), she comes across instead as the Queen of Mean. While I would wager that Ellen‘s politics aren’t too different from Rosie’s, she doesn’t bring them up whenever she’s in front of an audience. And Ellen’s humor, unlike Rosie’s, is quite frequently self-deprecating. Far from her fellow TV talk show host’s ad hominem attacks.

So, in the spat between Rosie and “the Donald,” I, like most Americans, side with the Donald, not because I like him, but because Rosie has become increasingly unrelentingly in her rudeness, eager to attack Republicans and upstage her co-hosts.

-Dan (GayPatriotWest)

**GP Update**Rosie Blows Up At Barbara Walters In Dressing Room Fight.

“Cameras are now outside of my house where my wife and kids are.” She turned to Walters and said, “You went all around this and never called [Trump] a liar. You never said, ‘Donald is lying.’ You never called him a liar.”

When Walters tried to defend herself, O’Donnell erupted, “Are you looking me in the face and denying you didn’t tell him you didn’t say this? You’re a [bleeping] liar.”

Uh oh.  I think Rosie The Unriveting will be shopping her resume soon!

-Bruce (GayPatriot)

1. Rosie O’Donnell was never all that funny. Not in her TV work, not in her movies, not in her stand-up routines.

Watch “The Price is Right” instead.

Comment by Attmay — January 8, 2007 @ 12:14 pm - January 8, 2007

2. Dan – My compliments on how well and studiously you avoided saying rhymes-with-witch. 😉

Comment by Calarato — January 8, 2007 @ 12:44 pm - January 8, 2007

3. Its not a feud, it’s just a publicity stunt.
    These kinds of things always “seem” to happen when the celeb has a new product to shill

Comment by keogh — January 8, 2007 @ 12:56 pm - January 8, 2007

4. Fair point, Keogh. It does seem that “the Donald” frequently engages in such stunts.

Comment by GayPatriotWest — January 8, 2007 @ 1:00 pm - January 8, 2007

5. -So, in the spat between Rosie and “the Donald,” I, like most Americans, side with the Donald,-

Where did you hear most Americans support him? I saw a poll in Us Weekly or In Touch where 75% supported Rosie.

I don’t like Rosie either, but when he called her a degenerate and said that he was going to have someone come seduce her girlfriend, this really became about more than her. It became about personal, cheap, pseudo-homophobic attacks.

Comment by Carl — January 8, 2007 @ 3:04 pm - January 8, 2007

6. These 2 make me want to dig up my racist, classist, homophobic, noveau-riche hating Victorian granny. There is no enviable quality in either of them. Granny would say they are white trash. For once I’d agreee.

Comment by T J — January 8, 2007 @ 3:07 pm - January 8, 2007

7. I find have to choose between the two is akin to having to choose between placing my foot in a bear trap or poking my eye with a stick. Both options are equally unpleasant. Can’t they both go away. Please.

Comment by Marianne Biskup — January 8, 2007 @ 3:32 pm - January 8, 2007

8. Honestly I haven’t paid much attention to this brouhaha to have a position.

But if given the choice between Rosie or Ellen as far as hanging out with them or going to see their routines, I would take Ellen any day over Rosie.

What Rosie seems to lack is a sense of graciousness and humility.

Comment by just me — January 8, 2007 @ 4:08 pm - January 8, 2007

9. Carl in #5, I saw an online poll which showed that the same amount (about 75%) supported the Donald.

Comment by GayPatriotWest — January 8, 2007 @ 4:43 pm - January 8, 2007

10. Umm… Life is a lot more nicer if you just don’t watch these things. I’ve never seen an episode of the View, or Trumps show or Survivor or American Idol, or the Lost. And I don’t miss it a bit. Besides, all the real creativity went out of TV when Three’s Company went off the air.

Comment by Patrick (Gryph) — January 8, 2007 @ 5:16 pm - January 8, 2007

11. Rosie works tirelessly with a number of worthy causes, including many that help children. Donald Trump hits the news every time he impregnates a blonde model (sometimes while still married to the last one). You decide.

Comment by Kevin — January 8, 2007 @ 9:39 pm - January 8, 2007

12. -Carl in #5, I saw an online poll which showed that the same amount (about 75%) supported the Donald.-

The same people can vote over and over in an online poll.

Since Rosie joined the View, their ratings have gone up 25%. Meanwhile, Trump’s ratings have gone down more every year. His weird personal attacks against women, the latest including quasi-homophobic slurs, apparently don’t bring in the viewers.

By the way, I don’t think it was the left that called Rosie the queen of nice. That term came from the media when they tried to figure out why her then-new talk show was popular. They said it was because she was so nice. Which was the case, back then at least.

Comment by Carl — January 8, 2007 @ 10:21 pm - January 8, 2007

13. I did not know that Rosie caused the View’s ratings to increse. Maybe it’s the controversy she generates.

Comment by GayPatriotWest — January 8, 2007 @ 10:33 pm - January 8, 2007

14. As Rosie stated this morning “she sure has quite the effect on The Donald”. Sure she made comments weeks ago that were funny and not flattering. It certainly wasn’t the first time someone has made fun of Mr. Trump and I even used to consider him a pretty good sport. For example, appearing on SNL and being able to make fun of himself as well. Moving forward, Rosie has kept her rebuttal comments to a minimum while Mr. Trump has done nothing but appear on every media outlet know to man bashing her relentlessly. The language he has used in describing her character and physical appearence are highly offensive and if anything display his lack of class. His behaviour makes Rosie appear like she’s the Queen of England in comparison. I’m still a little confused as to why he has chosen to act so childish over this particular incident and what motivates him to continue relentlessly with no end in sight. Moving forward, I’d like to see him and Barbara go head to head on Larry King to see if she’ll call him a liar to his face about the comments he keeps insisting she made to him. If she did indeed reveal to him that she despises Rosie, he’s really not the good friend he claims to be if he was so willing to throw her under the bus by revealing those commets (if true) to the media. If he hasn’t been truthfull then Barbara has certain cause to bring suit against him. This spin off of “he said, she said” puts Barabara’s credibility and reputation at risk, if you ask me. I’m curious if Rosie herself believes that Barbara never actually made such comments directly to Mr. Trump?

Comment by Julianne — January 9, 2007 @ 12:34 am - January 9, 2007

15. I’m still trying to figure out what Donald Trump did wrong. Perhaps his magnanimity towards Ms. Connor (sp?) is what irks some people.

Some people can’t open their mouths without saying something distasteful, rude, or just plain stupid. Hence, THE VIEW.

Cheers,
    Julie the Jarhead
    (Who has opened a new blog.)

Comment by Julie the Jarhead — January 9, 2007 @ 10:13 am - January 9, 2007

16. Cat Fight At The View…

My child asked me one day what the difference is between liberals and conservatives. I explained that liberals are like children — they want everything and expect the government to provide it. They don’t value hard work or responsibility. And they…

Trackback by Sensible Mom — January 9, 2007 @ 12:48 pm - January 9, 2007

17. -I’m still trying to figure out what Donald Trump did wrong.-

He basically tried to exploit Tara Connor’s controversy to hold a big press conference for himself and look like the big hero. Then when Rosie criticized him, he went ballistic and made quite a few really petty, nasty remarks.

Rosie’s contract is only for a year anyway. If anything, the show probably needs her at this point, so they may ask her to stay.

Comment by Carl — January 9, 2007 @ 7:48 pm - January 9, 2007

18. To quote In Living Color, Rosie is the kind of woman that made me gay in the first place.

Also – does anyone else think that Joy Behar is just a watered-down version of Bette Midler?

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — January 11, 2007 @ 12:30 am - January 11, 2007

19. Re: #16 – Liberals are the ones who think that poor people might need some help sometimes. Conservatives are the ones who think that wealthy people are entitled to the government’s assistance in exploiting poor people. Witness Halliburton.

Which ties into Rosie vs. the Donald somehow, I’m sure. Rosie made fun of the Donald because of the hypocrisy of his self-appointed status as a judge for morality. She was witty, entertaining, and on point. The Donald showed a lack of ability to articulate any credible points. Is Rosie fat? Sure. But how is it relevant? If she complained about the weight of other people, she would leave herself open to the same type of comments she made about Donald, but she doesn’t do that. Donald just continues the pointless rants that display his lack of ability to understand issues or articulate a cogent viewpoint. It would be more embarrassing if he hadn’t displayed these qualities to such a degree in so many forums already. (Yes – he’s had some business success, but required his daddy to stake him to a start and bail him out of his many failures.)

Comment by Laurie Heron — January 18, 2007 @ 11:56 pm - January 18, 2007