Of Writing and Space

Posted by GayPatriotWest at 7:21 pm - January 22, 2007.
Filed under: Blogging,General,Individuation,Integrity

Now, I know why people hate moving so much.

Over the weekend, I’ve been continuing the process of reducing the amount of clutter in my apartment. As I go through drawers and closets, bookshelves and piles, I keep finding things that I should have discarded long ago. Sometimes, things bring up pleasant memories of the past, but more often than not, this stuff too often pulls me back into the past, reminding me of mistakes I have made and wrong turns I have taken. Or potentially beneficial actions I have neglected.

But, then, moments later, when I get rid of the stuff, I feel this odd sense of relief. I expect this cleaning process to improve my writing. It seems somewhat easier to write with less stuff in my apartment. I recall that when I lived in Charlottesville, I found it easier to write my novel with my laptop set up on the dining room table — in the least cluttered part of the apartment and not my study, with floor-to-ceiling bookshelves and piles of magazines, newspapers and notes.

1. I agree, one can’t move on into the future when the fast is sometimes piled high around you. Beginning the new year, we should all shed our past and donate it to someone who needs it.

Comment by Russell K — January 22, 2007 @ 7:52 pm - January 22, 2007

2. As I go through drawers and closets, bookshelves and piles, I keep finding things that I should have discarded long ago.

Yeah. One should always have clean drawers on. You never know!

Comment by ThatGayConservative — January 23, 2007 @ 1:17 am - January 23, 2007

3. I threw out a ton of papers in my office the past couple of weeks. That was the easy part. Now I have to figure out what to do with the stuff that I couldn’t throw out.

Comment by Pat — January 23, 2007 @ 7:07 am - January 23, 2007

4. I absolutely hate working for a financial services and insurance company… EVERYTHING has either a hold on it or is a record. I’m not sure how to keep track of it all.

That’s why I save NOTHING and make sure EVERYTHING I do gets editted by someone else so they can be the keeper of the record.

Comment by Will — January 23, 2007 @ 3:11 pm - January 23, 2007

5. Congratulations on undergoing a valuable process. I believe that with each piece of useless matter we let go off, a comparable piece of mental garbage goes with it. And it is indeed and on going process. It’s like the onion, a layer at a time. I have been doing this very thing for several years now, and I virtually have only those things, (and they are very few) that are truly valuable to me. It is a liberating experience. Especially when you start to see the “stuff” trying to creep back in again. Remember the phrase “the price of liberty is eternal vigilance”. That philosophical gem does not apply to just nations!!!

Comment by Jim G — January 23, 2007 @ 11:26 pm - January 23, 2007