In fact, Rudy’s position (supports civil unions but opposes same-sex marriage; opposes a federal amendment against same-sex marriage) is the same as Hillary’s and Obama’s. But more significantly, Rudy would be the first GOP presidential nominee who has marched in Pride parades, addressed Log Cabin events, criticized “don’t ask, don’t tell” and, in an Odd Couple twist, moved in with two gay guys (a long-term couple) after his divorce.
But I doubt that will stop the Human Rights Campaign, now essentially the gay lobby of the Democratic Party, from endorsing their gal sometime during the primary season (in 2000, they endorsed Gore before it was clear whether the GOP candidate would be Bush or, in a possible upset, McCain). If/when they do so, their message to the GOP could be summarized as: “You could nominate the ghost of Harvey Milk and we’d still be loyal Democrats. So don’t even bother trying to reach out to us. After all, we favor securing patronage positions for our key activists in a Clinton adminstration much more than we care about moderating anti-gay views in the other party.”
I think we all know the answer to Stephen’s premise. The Hypocrite Rights Campaign is nothing more than a joke and a shill for the Democrats. Period. The only thing that makes them a bit better than the National Gay & Lesbian Task Force is that, last I checked, the HRC doesn’t advocate for the end of capitalism and free enterprise in America. Can’t say that about NGLTF!
Now, slightly off topic, here is something from the IDG Forum post that made me laugh. I can only imagine the tortured mental gymnastics that this commenter had to go through in order to praise Bill Clinton. (Note that apparently Clinton was “forced” to do all of the bad things he did.)
(1) Clinton supported strong federal funding for AIDS. [GP Ed. Note – Untrue. Clinton zeroed-out ADAP funding that was restored by the GOP Congress in the 1995-1999 Federal Budgets]
(2) He enacted DODTA which is a small step in the right direction. [GP Ed. Note – Since Clinton enacted Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell…. gay Democrats/Liberals think it is a step in the right direction! Hilarious!]
(3) He signed DOMA into law at the peddling mostly of the Republican Party and its presidential candidate; Bob Dole. [GP Ed. Note – WHAT?!? That’s like saying he had sex with Monica because Hillary was forcing him to!]
(4) He supported the ENDA & the HCPA, even going as far as to call for their support in a state of the union address. [GP Ed. Note – But the Democrat-controlled Congress (until 1995) never passed either.]
(5) He enacted anti-discrimination polices in federal civilian employment
(6) He appointed openly gay people and supportive federal judges. [GP Ed. Note – So has President George W. Bush, including the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court; big deal.]
[RELATED STORY: Will on Rudy: Defying Expectations – Dan/GayPatriotWest]