How Bad Does US Airways Suck Week

Posted by Bruce Carroll at 8:16 pm - June 23, 2007.
Filed under: Airlines Suck,Post 9-11 America,Travel

I have been traveling a lot the past few weeks and I’ve come to the conclusion that US Airways is completely falling apart. And I’m not the only one. Over the past two weeks alone, I’ve heard story-after-story of massively delayed flights, lost luggage, rude US Airways employees — it seems to have gotten worse since their infamous computer meltdown this past March.

So, since I’m doing a lot of flying this week… I am proud to declare this “How Bad Does US Airways Suck Week.” Starting with my flight today…

Our scheduled flight departure time was 4:00pm with arrival in Charlotte at 5:55 pm.

ACTUAL departure time from gate in Ft. Lauderdale:5:45pm. ACTUAL arrival time at gate in Charlotte: 7:30 pm.

Net loss of my time from flight delay: 1 hour, 30 minutes.

Additional wait time for luggage: 30 minutes.

Total time taken from my life today from US Airways: 2 hours!!

At the end of “How Bad Does US Airways Suck Week”… I’ll be calculating my “lost life time” and sending US Airways a bill for that time.

And all of you get to watch!!

-Bruce (GayPatriot….written via mobilephone while waiting for luggage at Charlotte-Douglas Airport)

1. […] Original post by GayPatriot […]

Pingback by Politics: 2008 HQ » Blog Archive » How Bad Does US Airways Suck Week — June 23, 2007 @ 10:16 pm - June 23, 2007

2. Well here’s one of those chain thingies to take your mind off your troubles, Bruce: you’ve been tagged along with Dan.

Comment by John — June 23, 2007 @ 10:29 pm - June 23, 2007

3. This is America, you have a choice of airlines. fly someone else if they’re so bad.

Comment by Kevin — June 24, 2007 @ 9:26 pm - June 24, 2007

4. fly someone else if they’re so bad.

First, since it’s for business, he may not have a choice.

Second, what other airlines use CLT as a hub thereby decreasing connections?

Comment by ThatGayConservative — June 25, 2007 @ 1:15 am - June 25, 2007

5. Kevin must be taking lessons in blog commenting from Wonder Woman and Wonder Girl. They’re getting less coherent by the day.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — June 25, 2007 @ 11:34 am - June 25, 2007

6. Wow. Your flight was delayed. I’ve never heard of such a thing. What is the world coming to?

Comment by SeattleDan — June 25, 2007 @ 11:19 pm - June 25, 2007

7. #6 – Gee, SeaDan, I dunno. Next thing you know, they’ll spring Paris Hilton from jail! :-p

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — June 26, 2007 @ 11:07 am - June 26, 2007

8. I don’t know Bruce…I hate flight delays as much as the next guy, but an hour and a half seems a little lightweight. Then again, most of my travel is out of O’Hare, so 1 1/2 hour delays are a cakewalk. I don’t even start the irritated foot-tapping thing until the 3 hour mark.

Comment by HotMess — June 26, 2007 @ 1:33 pm - June 26, 2007

9. You think that’s bad, see what Delta did:
    YouTube — SEVEN hours held hostage and starving in an airplane
    or this:
    RAW SEWAGE flowing in the aisles for, again, SEVEN HOURS but Continental to blame.

As to US Scareways, we just flew that to Europe and back. They lost one of our bags in Philly as well. It was delivered the next day. Not like that doesn’t happen with other airlines/conditions.

Comment by Bush Hater also Gay (of many) — June 27, 2007 @ 6:38 pm - June 27, 2007

10. Delays suck, but unfortunately are mainstream any more. I will be more than happy as long as my plane doesn’t have sewage flowing through the isles LOL! I’m sure several people won’t ever use Continental again 🙂 As for the lost luggage issue, tags like Global Bag Tags help in some cases.

Comment by Jaslin — June 28, 2007 @ 10:12 am - June 28, 2007

11. I am not sure where to even start!!! A friend from Atlanta had planned a visit me in Salt Lake City for months. Made reservations approximately 5 weeks in advance on a late flight from Atl (10:05 PM) with connecting flight in Las Vagas to SLC. The original flight was delayed 1.5 hours therefore he would miss the connecting flight. I talked with the person in Atl and her responce was in no uncertain terms “Tough Luck” . They assured him that if he was to wait until the next night that they could get him to SLC with no delays — now we are up to 24 hours delay. The next night the flight was delayed approximatly 1/2 hour therefore ariving in LV 1/2 hour late. He was met with new plans to get him to SLC by way of PHX, here is the real kicker his flight out of LV was not until 4 in the afternoon- adding 14 hours totaling 38 hours from original flight. Both times I have gotten on the phone and was met with indifference or people that was not fluent in english, that could have cared less..

All in all from the original fight he WOULD have been delayed approximately 50 hours. This is time that we could have spent together. I am still furious.. I could not stand to have him wait 14 hours in the LV airport and US Airways was not about to help him find a room. I decided to find him a flight from LV to SLC. This only took a few minuted with the extremely helpful person at SouthWest airline. He flew out of LV with only a 4 hour delay therefore being able to meet other obligations and appointments that had been scheduled.

I feel like we were lied to about the delays and were met with unhelpful non caring personel from US Airways. I would like to try to be reimbersed for the $134.00 I spent at Southwest to get him here but I am sure it will be a fight with US Airways. If anyone has any helpful advice please feel free to contact me at jenairik@msn.com I am not sure where to start this battle.

I hope that his flight back to Atl goes according to plan.

I am sorry to say that I am not to hopeful !!!

Comment by Bevan — July 1, 2007 @ 12:14 pm - July 1, 2007

12. You think that’s bad… I was travelling from nashville to boston – thursday to sunday.
    Last thursday my 8:05 FULL flight was cancelled. They rebooked me on a flight the NEXT day (29 hours later!). I had to go online and buy a SWA ticket (out $290.00).
    Then, since I had to cancel the one they rebooked – I SPECIFICALLY TOLD THEM I didn’t need that seat since I got To my destination VIA ANOTHER AIRLINE, and to NOT CANCEL MY RETURN FLIGHT. 3xI SAID DO NOT CANCEL MY RETURN FLIGHT.
    WEll, gess what…. NO ENGLISH SPOKEN HERE evidently (INDIA?) because when I went to print my boarding pass the next night, they had CANCELLED my reservation, so I had no return FLIGHT (And I had booked this in APRIL!). Then after 2.5 hours on the phone, and 5 requests to speak with a manager, I got back on the flights, but with lousy seats.

NOW THEY’VE LOST MY LUGGAGE. 12 hours since I landed and it SUPPOSEDLY HAS NOT YET arrived in Nashville, tho 3 flights have come in so far……..

so I’m out 300.00, time and now no luggage.

And this is the REAL Kicker: now they are charging for curbside checkin “The airline, which has its largest hub at Charlotte/Douglas International Airport, says the fee will be a marginal revenue source.
    “It’s a way to maximize revenue in a difficult environment,” says Michelle Mohr, a local US Airways spokeswoman.

DIFFICULT – TRY TAKING CARE OF YOUR CUSTOMERS!!! – then MAYBE it wouldn’t be such a DIFFICULT ENVIRONMENT!!!! What do you think it is for us???? easy???? nice and comfortable?????

I will NEVER NEVER NEVER FLY USAIR AGAIN!

Comment by Mal — July 2, 2007 @ 11:53 am - July 2, 2007

13. You only lost 2 hours? You got off easy, hon. 🙂 I lost about 15 and had to raise hell to get a meal voucher out of them.

Comment by Anna — July 18, 2007 @ 2:08 pm - July 18, 2007

14. All you have to do is go online and find out what the probability of flights of particular airlines being delayed is. You will find – amazingly! – that low-priced airlines such as US Airways, on average, have higher delays. If you want a flight that will have a higher probability of getting there on time, you will have to pay more. Don’t pay less and then complain.

Comment by Philip — July 28, 2007 @ 4:53 am - July 28, 2007

15. “Total time taken from my life today from US Airways: 2 hours!!” 1st a comment….How dramatic! 2nd a suggestion. Drive next time. Oh wait, that would have probably cost more of your time.

Comment by Brian — April 15, 2009 @ 1:18 am - April 15, 2009

16. US Airways SUCKS.

I have a $646.19 credit for a flight. I want to use my $646.19 credit towards a new flight that only cost $300. I was told that I would be stuck with a $150 change fee but my credit was large enough to cover that. US Airways now wants me to pay an additional $150 on a credit card and forfiet the remaining balance. How does that make sense? A $300 flight is now going to cost $800.

Now I know why I prefer to fly Southwest.

Comment by J. Rowland — March 10, 2010 @ 12:07 am - March 10, 2010