***AMNESTY ALERT***“Senate Bill Is In Peril”; Sen. Burr STILL Pulling a “John Kerry”

**UPDATED AT 6:45PM**

Item #1 – At the top of the six o’clock hour, FOX News’ Major Garrett just reported that three Senators that voted “YES” on cloture yesterday will vote “NO” on cloture tomorrow. He further said the White House and Senate leaders say the Kennedy-Reid-McCain-Graham-Bush Amnesty is in “serious peril tonight”.

Item #2 – PatriotPartner John has debunked an earlier report today from Michelle Malkin that Senator Richard Burr (R-NC) has definitely committed to vote “NO” on cloture tomorrow.

Just got off the phone with a Burr DC staffer. He says Burr will vote”No” on cloture IF there are no significant changes to the bill through amendment this evening. Keep calling!!!!! I urged a statement issued by Burr saying he is voting “No” on cloture tonight if he wants this believed.

Call Senator Richard Burr (he’s one of the “Amnesty 8″) to urge a “NO” vote on cloture and not to pull a John Kerry on Amnesty.

Burr’s DC number – (202) 224-3154
Burr’s NC number – (800) 685-8916

Here’s the text of the email I just sent to Senator Burr on his Senate website.

Senator Burr -

I have called your office several times to express my wish that the Kennedy-Graham-McCain-Bush Amnesty Legislation be killed for good.

I just noticed this statement on your campaign website:

“My work in the Senate is focused on building a stronger economy for everyone, addressing the health care needs of Americans, making our country safer from the threat of terrorists….”

You must know that as a native-born, legal resident of the United States that I believe the Amnesty legislation is designed to build the economic security of illegals on the backs of the middle class, address the healthcare needs of illegals on the backs of the middle class, and makes our country less safe from the threat of terrorists.

Based on your own principles of why you say you are representing me in Washington, DC…. you must vote “NO” on cloture tomorrow.

-Bruce (GayPatriot)

UPDATE (from GPW): Just learned via Drudge that Burr now opposes “permitting a vote on final passage.” And he’s not the only one. Others who had previously voted for cloture intend to oppose the motion or are “leaning that way.” While I don’t oppose the bill with the vehemence that Bruce does, I see this as good news.

Looks increasingly likely that they won’t get the 60 votes needed.

UP-UPDATE (from GPW); Michelle Malkin, who has been liveblogging the Senate debate has a good post today on the bill, notes that the debate this evening is “good news for our side, bad news for the open-borders brigade.” Now read the whole thing, including her link to the Politico on why the bill is struggling.

1. Amnesty Yes!

Comment by arturo fernandez — June 27, 2007 @ 7:26 pm - June 27, 2007

2. Not very good, lower-case “arturo”. You should have said “!Amnesty Si!” or some such.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — June 27, 2007 @ 8:24 pm - June 27, 2007

3. Michelle Malkin has a lovely young child. My question is whether or not Ms. Malkin directly employs the illegal immigrant who acts as a nanny for her child, or does she send the child to daycare where an illegal immigrant cares for the child, but Michelle’s payment is indirect.
    Ms Malkin’s legitimacy as a citizen is based on quirks in the immigration laws. Now she is virulent on the letter of the law, be it a quirk, or a logical part of the law – unless, of course, you talk of Scooter Libby.

Comment by bbbustard — June 27, 2007 @ 9:21 pm - June 27, 2007

4. For those needing further proof that all R’s who AT ANY TIME voted for cloture are just stupid tools, I meant fools, look no further than this comment from Senator Domenici -

Domenici, a one-time ardent supporter of the bill who is up for re-election in 2008, told FOX News that Republicans are “getting hammered here at home and for what? Something that doesn’t even have the chance of becoming law? No. This bill is going down. … Why are we having all these big amendments? They (supporters) don’t even know what’s in this bill. We learned it’s not even enforceable. I just don’t think I can support this bill.”

The ass helped make this all happen and NOW he sees that the bill is bad because he’s finally noticing it’s futility and the personal political costs. A pox on all of them. It will take years for most of these bastards to crawl their spineless ways back into my good graces. Yes, that is squarely aimed at you Mr. Burr and Mr. Graham.

Comment by PatriotPartner — June 27, 2007 @ 9:29 pm - June 27, 2007

5. Yes Very Good, one word “ILoveCapitalism”.

Viva the U S of A. Viva it’s Capitalism. Viva Capitalism’s illegal immigrants.

Comment by arturo fernandez — June 27, 2007 @ 10:27 pm - June 27, 2007

6. I believe the Amnesty legislation is designed to build the economic security of illegals on the backs of the middle class, address the healthcare needs of illegals on the backs of the middle class, and makes our country less safe from the threat of terrorists.

I get the terrorism part but I don’t see how this legislation is borne on the backs of the middle class. Can you (or others) explain in more detail?

(and I would love an absolute definition of “middle class”; in America, everyone but the super-rich seems to fall into this category)

Comment by John in IL — June 27, 2007 @ 10:31 pm - June 27, 2007

7. #6: John: Low-skill immigrants consume more in tax-funded benefits than they pay in taxes (see http://www.heritage.org/research/immigration/wm1523.cfm).

For example, public schools cost taxpayers upwards of $10K/year per student. Immigrants rely disproprtionately on welfare (food stamps, Medicaid). Plus there are baseline services (roads, police) that everyone uses.

There is the increased load on our already strained infrastructure (worsening traffic; schools crowding; increased prison/jail populations; pollution; crime) along with future liabilities (Social Security, Medicare).

And then there is our own, home-grown “lower class” already reeling from various dysfunctions – some of which are rooted in the decimation of manufactruring.

It’s hard to realize that families used to earn a decent living with a high school-educated breadwinner working in a factory. Kansas City has acres and acres of neat old (yet abandoned) warehouses and factories where thousands of blue collar workers earned their living.

There’s a printing company in KC where employees are striking because management wants to cut their pay. Their current pay (pre-cut) is in the $12-14/hour range. You don’t sustain a working class on falling wages/

Many middle-class workers feel threatened, too (the non nanny-hiring classes). While manual laborers (e.g. construction) are feeling pressure from milliions of imported workers, more and more middle class workers are losing jobs to out-sourcing and automation.

And just where are these millions of new immigrants going to go when the next recession occurs? Back home? Those lines at the unemployment office are gonna be killers.

Middle class – that’s a slippery term (I guess you could say households in the middle three quintiles of income).

Comment by Robert — June 27, 2007 @ 11:06 pm - June 27, 2007

8. Thanks Robert for the link and the response. I’ll definitely check it out.

That’s the problem I’ve run into. I hear politicians talk about the “middle class” and the AMT. AMT filers are almost always in the top quintile.

Comment by John in IL — June 28, 2007 @ 12:39 am - June 28, 2007

9. That’s the problem I’ve run into.

Just remember: Four legs good, two legs bad! and you’ll be fine. Makes as much sense as any other classifications by liberals.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — June 28, 2007 @ 6:29 am - June 28, 2007