Log Cabin & Romney: Media Success, but Political Failure

As I return from my trip and go through all my accumulated mail, that which I did not get to on that voyage, I discover one theme in my missives from Log Cabin, an obsession with Mitt Romney. If an e-mail dated Wednesday, October 10, before I met with Log Cabin President Patrick Sammon in DC, the group gloated about putting the former Massachusetts “on the defensive” and boasted about how the media had picked up the story.

They’ve been soliciting contributions to keep him on the “defensive,” headlining the piece in today’s e-mail, “Flip Flop MittĀ – Still on the Defensive.” They seem obsessed with making this Republican play defense. I don’t believe Log Cabin has ever gone after a Democrat with such zeal, boasting about putting him (or her) on the defensive and sending out so many e-mails smacking down a member of (what should be to Republicans) the opposition party.

Every conservative blogger with whom I corresponded on this has faulted the ostensibly Republican group for its anti-Romney ads, with Dean Barnett saying that Log Cabin is “no longer a Republican group, and no one will consider them one.” Dean suggests the group “should now be the Log Cabin Whatevers.”

Similarly, Republican activists have scratched their heads, wondering what Log Cabin is up to. And this includes gay Republicans. While most of my gay Republican friends support some candidate other than Romney, nearly all of them have criticized Log Cabin’s ads.

Given that Log Cabin ran ads in 2004 criticizing President George W. Bush, it would stand to reason that running ads attacking another Republican won’t do much to help them burnish their long-tarnished reputation as a GOP advocacy group.

And like Bruce, I wonder the source of Log Cabin’s funding for these ads. Patrick refused to answer the question when we met.

This ad campaign has surely been a media success for Log Cabin, with newspaper articles and references on TV news programs. But, it has clearly been a political failure for the group, with most Republicans, including gay ones, questioning Log Cabin’s commitment to the GOP.

It’s time Log Cabin devote as much resources and energy to putting Democrats on the defensive, lest they become another Paris Hilton-type organization, where getting media attention is the primary goal, regardless of the content of said coverage.

1. What does LCR have against Romney? Someone clue me in. Surely it’s something more than just the fact that Romney, like many in his party, supports a FMA/MPA.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — October 24, 2007 @ 8:17 pm - October 24, 2007

2. This is the great post you promised! What’s the solution? Homocons need to infiltrate LCR. There are plenty of straight conservatives who live in very welcoming districts who would donate to an organization that actually supports Republicans.

I also would like to see the emails between Patrick Sammon and the HRC.

I guess I’ll have to start crashing the LCR meetings in DC. They stopped responding to my emails out of frustration that my criticisms were logical.

I am glad you are back safe at home! What a trip you made!

Comment by aaron - LLP — October 24, 2007 @ 8:24 pm - October 24, 2007

3. i understood the purpose of the ads,. I’m surprised you don’t see that they are working to affect power. Thus giving them the ability to demand a seat at the table. Honestly I think you just don’t like the LCR anymore. I mean you don’t want to call them republicans anymore but they were already in that boat to begin with. Their Party dissed them and made a whole campaign about vilifying them and you expect them to jump to the needs of the party? This is about political revenge and they have nothing to lose. I fully support what they are trying to do.

Comment by Tim — October 24, 2007 @ 8:40 pm - October 24, 2007

4. they are working to affect power. Thus giving them the ability to demand a seat at the table.

What if Romney is the nominee? Will they have a seat at the table then?

Equally, what if Romney isn’t the nominee? Given their behavior, why should *any* GOP nominee – even one who is good on their issues of specific concern – trust them as far as he can throw ’em?

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — October 24, 2007 @ 8:49 pm - October 24, 2007

5. There are plenty of straight conservatives who live in very welcoming districts who would donate to an organization that actually supports Republicans.

That would be me. To paraphrase Deng, I don’t care if the cat is gay or straight as long as he votes conservative.

We may have some differences along the way, but conservative patriotism will not be one of them.

Comment by Heliotrope — October 24, 2007 @ 9:19 pm - October 24, 2007

6. […] Original post by GayPatriotWest […]

Pingback by Politics: 2008 HQ » Blog Archive » Log Cabin & Romney: Media Success, but Political Failure — October 24, 2007 @ 9:24 pm - October 24, 2007

7. I guess I don’t see enough of a difference between Romney and Giuliani on gay issues to justify the ads – and the ads weren’t related to LCR’s mission – which is gay equality – working with the gop.

What I found funny is that LCR has taken a stand in support of ENDA – so why didn’t they send out an alert to counter Peter LaBarbera’s alert getting calls to President Bush to sign ENDA.

Comment by Eva Young — October 25, 2007 @ 12:48 am - October 25, 2007

8. I don’t get it either. I understand that LCR if they are going to have any impact at all, need to do it in the primaries to try to come up with a GOP nominee who at the very least isn’t hostile to gays. But considering Giuliani’s back-peddling on gay rights last weekend in from of the religious right I don’t know that there’s any practical difference between Mitt and Rudy in terms of how they will govern. I’m open to standing corrected.

No, I don’t get what LCR is doing. I don’t get what HRC is doing either. Maybe it’s just the gay political groups in general that don’t make any sense these days.

Comment by Houndentenor — October 25, 2007 @ 12:24 pm - October 25, 2007

9. Seems like it’s time for someone to start a new, true Gay Republican organization.

Comment by STLGreg — October 25, 2007 @ 12:33 pm - October 25, 2007

10. The part that’s most infuriating about the ads, to me –a gay GOPer– is that LCR (schills) won’t be open and transparent in releasing who is paying the LCR for these ads… Patrick-redeux is no better than Patrick the First at LCR. Time for conservative gays to rise up and re-orient the LCR.

The real problem for LCR is that the ad probably drives GOP voters to Romney, not away. Another example of “smart” thinking and political strategy on the part of the LCRs. I only wish the HRC was as deliberately ineffective for Hillary Rodham Clinton.

Comment by Michigan-Matt — October 25, 2007 @ 1:45 pm - October 25, 2007

11. Homocons need to infiltrate LCR.

I would join LCR, but I don’t want to drive all the way to Tampa or Orlando for meetings.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — October 25, 2007 @ 7:49 pm - October 25, 2007

12. TGC, maybe you’ll meet some more local conservatives if you made the treek.

Comment by GayPatriotWest — October 29, 2007 @ 7:41 pm - October 29, 2007

13. […] Log Cabin Launches Another TV Ad Campaign Attacking a Republican Log Cabin & Romney: Media Succe… […]

Pingback by GayPatriot » Washington Blade: Log Cabin Controlled by Democrats!?! — February 26, 2009 @ 12:52 pm - February 26, 2009