Nominations Open for Grande Conservative Blogress Diva 2008

Posted by GayPatriotWest at 3:18 am - December 4, 2007.
Filed under: Blogging,Mythology and the real world

As the year draws to a close, it is time once again to choose next year’s Grande Conservative Blogress Diva 2008. Terrified of taking off her tiara, two-time winner Sondra K will be defending her title against what is sure to be tough competition for this coveted honor.

This competition began two years ago, following my post, asking: Who are Our Conservative “Divas”?. There, I noted how most gay men have a great respect, if not reverence for strong women. So, we wondered who were those women who commanded the respect of conservative gay men?

Giving that we’re bloggers and defining “diva” as a strong, successful woman who commands the respect of men, we at GayPatriot determined to honor those blogresses who have earned our respect.

Hence this competition.

Nominees need not be conservative. As I wrote last year in announcing the nominees:

Some are libertarian. And others, while more centrist, distinguish themselves by their iconoclasm and the manner in which they take on the silliness of certain leftists — and conservative pretenders.

They are women, who, in the words of one of our last year’s nominees, “drive . . . liberals nuts.” And one way to command the respect of conservative gay men is for a woman to stand up against the angry, conservative-hating left.

Such bloggresses include: Ann Althouse, The Anchoress, Little Miss Attila, Tammy Bruce, Wizbang‘s Lorie Byrd, Dymphna of Gates of Vienna, e-Claire, Jane Galt of Asymmetrical Information, Townhall’s Mary Katharine Ham, Bridget Johnson of GOP Vixen, Sondra K of Knowledge is Power, Carol Platt Liebau, National Review Online‘s K-Lo (Kathryn Jean Lopez), Kate MacMillan of small dead animals, Michelle Malkin
neo-neo con, Betsy Newmark of Betsy’s Page, Pamela of Atlas Shrugs, Virginia Postrel of The Dynamist, Pat Santy, Debbie Schlussel, Alexandra von Maltzan of All Things Beautiful, Cathy Young.

If you would like to nominate a blogress, merely post a comment naming that strong woman and providing a link to her web-site. If you find a blogress in the list above whom you believe should be part of our competition, please second her.

Just after 9 PM 9PM Eastern Standard Time (6PM in the Pacific) on Sunday, December 9 at 9PM Eastern Standard Time (6PM in the West), Bruce and I will review the comments and select those to include in the first round of balloting, which will take place from December 10 until December 16. Those blogresses will the highest number of votes will compete in a run-off from December 17 until the 23rd so we may crown our diva in time for Christmas.

All nominees, by dint of the very nomination, are already divas. But, only one woman can become the Grande Conservative Blogress Diva.

1. I would like to nominate Kathy Shaidle of Five Feet of Fury.

That should get Jon Santos worked up…

Comment by PatrickP — December 5, 2007 @ 1:07 am - December 5, 2007

2. 48: Jeremayakovka

I been trying to get people to see that video for a few weeks now.. it’s amazing what Her Thighness gets away with.

Comment by Vince P — December 5, 2007 @ 4:13 am - December 5, 2007

3. This is funny:

RAP BANNED!
    I have to say that I don’t like rap music, maybe it’s a sign of my advancing years! However I was intrigued to read that homophobic rap music has been banned in Brighton in case it offends the city’s large gay population. Music venues in the city have been ordered not to play certain tracks by artists such as Eminem and 50 Cent. But hey, it offends me also so why do homosexuals get the priority? If gays can get Rap music banned, can we hetero’s get gay music banned? Isn’t it time Cher and Kylie got the axe?

Comment by Vince P — December 5, 2007 @ 4:56 am - December 5, 2007

4. #52, Backatcha, VtP! It’s beyond “amazing” – it’s an affront to any benchmark of political decency

I propose for Honorable Mention for GCBD Camille Paglia. She’s neither conservative nor a blogger (her online presence is monthly columnist at Salon.com). Based on her recent spot-on criticism of Ms. Rodham Clinton, I say she deserves an asterisk (if not an exclamation point).

She is, like me, ever the interstitial contrarian.

Comment by Jeremayakovka — December 5, 2007 @ 5:25 am - December 5, 2007

5. I second The Anchoress and want to nominate Fausta Wertz

Comment by Obi's Sister — December 5, 2007 @ 8:48 am - December 5, 2007

6. spot-on criticism of Ms. Rodham Clinton

Comment by Jeremayakovka — December 5, 2007 @ 9:58 am - December 5, 2007

7. The onliest lady what could takes mah vote away from SondraK (or Sandrak as a certain left-wing nitwit calls her) is Laura Ingraham, but fortunately, she doesn’t blog.

Comment by V the K — December 5, 2007 @ 10:36 am - December 5, 2007

8. I nominate Tammy Bruce. Is there a rule against multiple winners? Just don’t, for the love of God nominate Star Parker. After she said that comment in October at some conservative forum that “we should quarantine all the sodomites” I lost all respect for her.

Comment by Jimbo — December 5, 2007 @ 12:46 pm - December 5, 2007

9. I nominate Tammy Bruce too.

Comment by Vince P — December 5, 2007 @ 1:14 pm - December 5, 2007

10. I may be a bit biased, but I’m going with Bridget for this one. My back-up vote would be for Tammy Bruce, purely for having a gun named Snuffy.

Comment by Crabs — December 5, 2007 @ 1:58 pm - December 5, 2007

11. I nominate SondraK. Nothings changed, she is still the ultimate.

Comment by MitchM — December 5, 2007 @ 5:31 pm - December 5, 2007

12. Tammy Bruce #1
    Michelle Malkin close 2nd

Comment by LesbianNeoCon — December 5, 2007 @ 6:44 pm - December 5, 2007

13. Ha! I’d be intrested in reading my own “anti-gay” entries. They might broaden my mind.

I’m afraid I might be out of my league here, though. At least last year I didn’t come in dead last!

Rachel Lucas alone may kick my butt . . . it’s sure nice to have her back.

I may vote for Tammy, or Fausta . . . or Virginia Postrel! (Unless I may the short list, in which case: me me me!)

Comment by Little Miss Attila — December 6, 2007 @ 9:50 am - December 6, 2007

14. I happen to have once owned the same model gun as Tammy: I named it Betty. Unfortunately, my mother stole it. Oh, well.

Also–and speaking of firearms–you MUST include Zendo Deb at TFS Magnum:

Comment by Little Miss Attila — December 6, 2007 @ 9:59 am - December 6, 2007

15. I think all my sisters from The Cotillion need to be considered. Heck, half of them are already on your list!

Comment by Greta Perry — December 6, 2007 @ 10:17 am - December 6, 2007

16. I second the motion for Little Miss Attila and nominate e-Claire. Just because.

Comment by Darrell — December 6, 2007 @ 10:36 am - December 6, 2007

17. Lots of great talent out here, huh?
    I’m torn.
    Tammy Bruce, Michelle Malkin and Debbie Schlussel are my faves here.
    Tammy’s gonna get my nod based on her recent killer essay about feminists and Islam.

Comment by mean Gene — December 6, 2007 @ 2:16 pm - December 6, 2007

18. Just saw this! Thanks guys – coolio! You’ve put me in great company – what more can I ask?

Comment by The Anchoress — December 6, 2007 @ 8:02 pm - December 6, 2007

19. I’d nominate one of my favorite blogresses on the whole interweb, the “Dyspeptic Marine wife/tech wench” who until just very recently blogged Villainous Company She just retired from blogging after several years of writing one of the best blogs around. But you woudld have to be familiar with her blog because she has taken down all her archives.

Comment by American Elephant — December 7, 2007 @ 2:35 am - December 7, 2007

20. I hereby wholeheartedly second the nomination of Pamela of Atlas Shrugs!!

Comment by Bruce W. — December 7, 2007 @ 12:57 pm - December 7, 2007

21. Seconding Little Miss Attila!

Comment by Janette — December 7, 2007 @ 1:37 pm - December 7, 2007

22. Thank you for nominating Pamela of ‘Atlas Shrugs.’ Pamela stands bold and defiant against the Jihad and against the Left who give it cover. Pamela obtains interviews (podcasted on BTR) with serious, highly-placed people who share their insights with us. I’ve known Pamela for over two years, and she has my highest regard for her courage to tell the truth no matter how un-PC it is or no matter how much derision she will be subjected to her detractors (those who have actually devote hours to writing blog posts unflattering to her.) Pamela is a role model for anybody who wants to make a better world. Thanks again for considering her!

Comment by x_dhimmi — December 7, 2007 @ 1:51 pm - December 7, 2007

23. I’m with Little Miss Attila. Where the hell are these alleged anti-gay postings on my site? I even posted my sisters-in-law’s wedding pics!

Comment by Virginia Postrel — December 8, 2007 @ 4:03 am - December 8, 2007

24. E-Claire and Kathy Shaidle are nominated….may I second them?

Comment by SondraK — December 8, 2007 @ 11:39 pm - December 8, 2007

25. Sondra K, I think you just did.

Comment by GayPatriotWest — December 9, 2007 @ 2:05 pm - December 9, 2007