McCain Wins Florida; Giuliani to Exit Race; Dan Undecided

Posted by GayPatriotWest at 2:03 am - January 30, 2008.
Filed under: 2008 Presidential Politics

Given that the Florida Republican primary was closed to registered Republicans, I had assumed that if John McCain won the contest, he would so so by the narrowest of margins. Instead, he won by a comfortable margin, besting Mitt Romney by five points. My man Rudy trailed significantly.

The maverick Arizona Senator showed that he could win in a GOP-only primary. No small feat.

With his poor showing in the Sunshine State, a number of news outlets are reporting that the former New York City Mayor will be quitting the race and endorsing “his friendliest rival, John McCain.” I guess that answers the question Bruce posed earlier this month about the wisdom of Giuliani’s strategy.

Now that Giuliani is no longer a candidate, I am officially undecided in the race.

While I admire Senator McCain’s strong commitment to winning the War on Terror and his distinguished service in the United States Navy and his courage, indeed, heroism as a Prisoner of War, I am concerned about the number of times he bucked the GOP, merely at times (it seemed) to prove that he was a maverick. And I think some of his attacks on Mitt Romney, his chief rival for the GOP nomination, have been unfair, particularly his claim that the former Bay State Governor favored a “secret timetable for U.S. soldiers to withdraw” from Iraq.

But, he has shown an ability to appeal to independents and would be a strong challenger to Mrs. Clinton in the fall.

While I appreciate Romney’s conservative record and thought he looked presidential in the one debate I watched for any length of time, he has so far been unable to gain the support among the GOP rank-and-file that he has enjoyable among conservative leaders and pundits. If, despite their backing and his bank account, he can’t make a strong showing in the GOP contests, I fear he will not fare well in the fall.

So, I’m undecided. On the one hand, I see a Republican who can reach out to Independents, but who has upset the party’s base. On the other, I see one who has appealed to that base, but hasn’t shown a great ability to generate a large turnout.

If John McCain win my enthusiastic support, he needs to reach out to conservatives, stop antagonizing the party’s base and show more grace in taking on his chief rival. And Mitt Romney needs show a little more passion on the campaign trail.

John McCain is now the frontrunner for the GOP nomination. But, if he wishes to united the party behind him, he’s going to have to reach out to conservatives, to try to appear on Rush Limbaugh’s and Hugh Hewitt’s talk shows and meet with the editors of the National Review.

UPDATE: Oh, and the good news it that even with Fred Thompson out of the race, Mike Huckabee came in fourth, behind even the former NYC Mayor — in a Southern state. Looks like his campaign is over, but there is a Senate seat in Arkansas that could use a Republican candidate. . . .

UP-UPDATE: Just reading the symposium on National Review about what McCain could “do to rally conservatives.” As usual, Victor Davis Hanson offers the soundest advice. Check it out! (Via Hugh Hewitt).

UP-UP-UPDATE: It’s official. Giuliani is backing McCain. Delighted both men recognize the importance of Ronald Reagan by making the announcement at his library.

1. I can’t recall Article 1 or Article 2(4) being followed more than once in the UN’s lifetime, and only then because the Soviets walked out. I think the body of the empirical evidence argues against the UN Charter being taken seriously.

“No honest person who is familiar with these many resolutions and with Saddam’s actions can conclude that Saddam had a legal right to defend his government or that the Coalition invasion was anything but a proper enforcement of UN resolutions against a nation that had given up all moral title to the word “sovereign”.”

For the Coalition invasion to have been a de jure enforcement of UN resolutions against Iraq, I would argue that the UN itself would have had to sanction the invasion, which is manifestly did not, due to unenlightened self-interest of several nations with permanent seats on the UN Security Council.

Comment by Crow — February 1, 2008 @ 1:10 pm - February 1, 2008

2. I would argue that the UN itself would have had to sanction the invasion, which is manifestly did not

Wrong answer. As I already said, see UN resolutions 600, 661, 678, 686, 687, 707, 778, 1060, 1194, 1205, 1284, and 1441. Particularly look at 678 and then 1441. The UN manifestly **did** authorize it. It just became politically convenient for certain Council members – and certain U.S. politicians – to pretend otherwise.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — February 1, 2008 @ 1:22 pm - February 1, 2008

3. Most particularly, note that 1441 found Iraq to be in material breach of the ceasefire terms presented under 687, and afforded Iraq a “final opportunity” to clean up its act. No one had any doubt what “final opportunity” meant. In early 2003, Blix reported to the Security Council that Iraq had continued to stall the weapons inspectors, and hence, had flunked. Which implied an immediate “cease-cease-fire” or resumption of Gulf War 1 under resolution 678. At which point, the Coalition resumed fire. Also see 1483, 1511, 1546, 1637, 1723, and still others, which have recognized and authorized Coalition actions.

You can’t win on this one, Crow – sorry.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — February 1, 2008 @ 1:43 pm - February 1, 2008

4. A cease-fire does not end wars, and the end of stage 1 of the Gulf/Iraq War in the 90s was a cease-fire. A state of war continued to exist between at least the US and Iraq throughout the 90s and early 2000s.

Comment by Crow — February 1, 2008 @ 4:12 pm - February 1, 2008

5. A cease-fire does not end wars, and the end of stage 1 of the Gulf/Iraq War in the 90s was a cease-fire. A state of war continued to exist between at least the US and Iraq throughout the 90s and early 2000s.

Now you’re talking my language. Thanks. As I’ve been saying again and again: “Gulf War 2” was a legal and moral continuation of “Gulf War 1”. It was what happened when Saddam did not honor his GW1 ceasefire conditions. Not a case of “We attacked a sovereign nation”.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — February 1, 2008 @ 8:02 pm - February 1, 2008

6. Test, to see if my post that the comment service just “ate” will show up now.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — February 1, 2008 @ 8:03 pm - February 1, 2008

7. It doesn’t seem to be. Well, real briefly Crow: what you say at #54 is exactly my point. Gulf War 1 didn’t end. Saddam only had a cease-fire… and broke it. GW2 was a legal continuation of GW1, not “we attacked a sovereign nation” (Paul).

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — February 1, 2008 @ 8:05 pm - February 1, 2008

8. […] Rudy exited the race for the Republican nomination, I found myself in the unusual position of being undecided in a political […]

Pingback by GayPatriot » On Voting with Your Gut — June 12, 2008 @ 9:15 pm - June 12, 2008